Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck talks about why he walked away

GoColts8818

32 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. Doug, Andrew Luck was a team sports hero. Do you doubt this?

A. Team captain in high school and high school valedictorian.

B. Team captain at Stanford and two-time Heisman finalist.

C. #1 overall draft pick for the Colts.

D. #3 all time passing leader in Colts history during his short career, playing in 86 games. #1 is Manning with 208 games played and #2 is Johnny U with 206 games played.

I could go on with his accolades, but you get the point. He did not shy away from greatness. He was driven to be the best football player he could be and he specifically stated he loved playing football because it was a team sport where you were rewarded by meritocracy.

2. I don't think only injuries kept him from playing. I think the injuries were the main catalyst. I honestly think that if you take away the broken ribs, the peeing of blood, the concussion, the shoulder injury, and the lower leg injury, he would be playing today. I think the injuries led him to a dark place mentally, forcing him to question his worth. Was he just a football player? Was that all that he had to offer? Who would he be without football? I am under the impression that he worked out these inner demons to the best of his ability, fought to get back on the field with his teammates, and the joy of playing football returned during the 2018 season. As the season went on and ended and he continued to deal with the lower leg injury during the off season and through the preseason, the depression and lowly thoughts resurfaced. When he found out he could not start the season, it boiled over culminating in his retirement. 

3. A lot of kids do play team sports in high school. And then they grow up, get jobs, have families and other responsibilities. They stop playing team sports for numerous reasons, (mainly because organized team activities require more people, thus more organization and time commitment, which they do not have given their responsibilities as adults). Could psychological reasons play a part in their decision. Sure. But I think for most people, it's that they get older, have less time, less energy to play contact sports, and decide to get a hobby or choose a sport that they could enjoy during their free time (like bicycling, fishing, hunting, etc.).

It's really not a shock to see someone retire from contact sports and do something less physically and mentally demanding. It actually happens all the time. 

I played organized sports when I was younger, but now with my job and family responsibilities, I enjoy weight lifting,  HIIT, walking, and fishing because I can do it during my free time when I am not working, taking my kids to their activities, or spending time with my wife/family. With Luck being married, going back to school, having kids and more responsibilities, I can't see why it would be any different for him. 

Why does the notion of Luck finally figuring out that he was never really into football while playing it so off putting?  I think it was even in his draft profile, that his personality was different.  

You know, some people don't even figure out their own sexuality until they exit young adult hood and even later.  Why would it be shocking to learn that  guy who grew up under the influence of an NFL Football dad ended up playing football during his entire youth and young adulthood but then finally figured out later he never really liked it that much all along.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Fast forward he’s happy but realized he still loves the game of football but doesn’t want to play but wants to coach so he’s going back to school to become a teacher so he can coach.  

Not sure about other states, but in Indiana we have plenty of coaches who are in fact not teachers. So it's not completely a requirement to be a teacher if coaching is his main focus. But I think he's definitely a history type of guy. He would excel teaching world history with his architecture background. 

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The opposite of Tom Brady in a way. He chose his wife and kids over football. At the end of the day, this is just a silly meaningless game that we humans play on a speeding rock hurtling across time and space. There are much more important things. God, wife and kids. I understand his choice as a father and husband. 

Yea I understand and it’s also the other side of the coin like say verlander his wife said she wants him to play as long as he wants to plays cause that makes him happy and when he is happy she is happy etc…but I understand and respect his decision it’s more important thing in life than destroying your mind & body just to entertain us 

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

1. Doug, Andrew Luck was a team sports hero. Do you doubt this?

A. Team captain in high school and high school valedictorian.

B. Team captain at Stanford and two-time Heisman finalist.

C. #1 overall draft pick for the Colts.

D. #3 all time passing leader in Colts history during his short career, playing in 86 games. #1 is Manning with 208 games played and #2 is Johnny U with 206 games played.

I could go on with his accolades, but you get the point. He did not shy away from greatness. He was driven to be the best football player he could be and he specifically stated he loved playing football because it was a team sport where you were rewarded by meritocracy.

2. I don't think only injuries kept him from playing. I think the injuries were the main catalyst. I honestly think that if you take away the broken ribs, the peeing of blood, the concussion, the shoulder injury, and the lower leg injury, he would be playing today. I think the injuries led him to a dark place mentally, forcing him to question his worth. Was he just a football player? Was that all that he had to offer? Who would he be without football? I am under the impression that he worked out these inner demons to the best of his ability, fought to get back on the field with his teammates, and the joy of playing football returned during the 2018 season. As the season went on and ended and he continued to deal with the lower leg injury during the off season and through the preseason, the depression and lowly thoughts resurfaced. When he found out he could not start the season, it boiled over culminating in his retirement. 

3. A lot of kids do play team sports in high school. And then they grow up, get jobs, have families and other responsibilities. They stop playing team sports for numerous reasons, (mainly because organized team activities require more people, thus more organization and time commitment, which they do not have given their responsibilities as adults). Could psychological reasons play a part in their decision. Sure. But I think for most people, it's that they get older, have less time, less energy to play contact sports, and decide to get a hobby or choose a sport that they could enjoy during their free time (like bicycling, fishing, hunting, etc.).

It's really not a shock to see someone retire from contact sports and do something less physically and mentally demanding. It actually happens all the time. 

I played organized sports when I was younger, but now with my job and family responsibilities, I enjoy weight lifting,  HIIT, walking, and fishing because I can do it during my free time when I am not working, taking my kids to their activities, or spending time with my wife/family. With Luck being married, going back to school, having kids and more responsibilities, I can't see why it would be any different for him. 

Strong post :thmup:

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How do you know that? 

By him going through rehab again and again and trying desperately until the very end to get back to playing. Noone puts himself through that type of rehabs if they don't plan on playing. He was desperately trying to get back. This is actually why it took until 2 weeks before the season started. He was trying. Until the end. And then he experienced new setbacks and he just decided he's not willing to put himself and his family through what he went through with his previous injuries... and retired. 

3 hours ago, twfish said:

Dang espn+.... I, like most fans, don't have a problem with him retiring it was the when it all happened. I'll forever hold resentment towards Adam Schefter for breaking the new when he did.

I agree, it was the timing that was awful. I'd have some respect for him if he told Irsay. " You know Mr Irsay, the timing of this isn't the best and I realize it's going to put the team in a bind for years. You've paid me handsomely for playing a game and the 25 million bonus that you don't have to pay me is a nice gesture but my moral integrity won't allow me to accept that money."...... But....he didn't say that did he.

3 hours ago, twfish said:

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why does the notion of Luck finally figuring out that he was never really into football while playing it so off putting?  I think it was even in his draft profile, that his personality was different.  

You know, some people don't even figure out their own sexuality until they exit young adult hood and even later.  Why would it be shocking to learn that  guy who grew up under the influence of an NFL Football dad ended up playing football during his entire youth and young adulthood but then finally figured out later he never really liked it that much all along.

I can certainly see your version of events as a possibility, but when compared against how I see things have transpired, your version doesn't seem to add up squarely. 

To paraphrase your argument (steel man your argument): Andrew Luck is an introvert who grew up playing team sports. He has many interests and sports is just one of them. Due to the influence of his father, an NFL quarterback, Andrew Luck played football. He excelled at football and went onto college and then eventually played professionally. While he played football professionally, it took a mental toll on him. He was looked at to lead the team. He was in a fishbowl, and was scrutinized, and put in an uncomfortable position as an introvert to be the face of the franchise.  Eventually, all of this took a toll on him. He realized he did not love football and retired.

From my perspective, Luck having a father playing in the NFL is no different that Manning having a father play in the NFL. Manning loved football and so did Andrew Luck. Manning missed an entire season due to injury and so did Andrew Luck. Manning fought like hell to get back onto the football field and so did Andrew Luck. The difference is that Luck sustained far more injuries and at a younger age, (due to his style of play). Luck fought to get back onto the field only to sustain yet another injury that would have kept him out again. (We've already discussed the psychological and emotional toll due to the injuries).

As a fan, I saw passion for the game when I watched Andrew play. He loved the game and played to win. I saw Luck pick up the Donald Brown fumble and hurl himself into the end zone during the Chiefs playoff game. I saw Andrew Luck yelling and spitting. I saw Andrew Luck get sacked over and over again and get back up to lead the team to a win. All of this goes against the narrative that Andrew Luck was a guy who didn't love football.  I saw a guy go through years of rehab to get back onto the football field, including working with doctors and trainers to get back onto the field in 2019. All of this goes against the idea that Luck didn't love football.

And here we are now. Luck is retired, going to school so that he can become a teacher and coach the sport the he loves, football.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

By him going through rehab again and again and trying desperately until the very end to get back to playing. Noone puts himself through that type of rehabs if they don't plan on playing. He was desperately trying to get back. This is actually why it took until 2 weeks before the season started. He was trying. Until the end. And then he experienced new setbacks and he just decided he's not willing to put himself and his family through what he went through with his previous injuries... and retired. 

Could be, I just know what to believe anymore and Andrew is one of my favorite Colts players ever.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be, I just know what to believe anymore and Andrew is one of my favorite Colts players ever.

What's the alternate version of events that would explains why Luck worked with team doctors and trainers, and went to get outside opinions on his lower leg injury, if he wanted to retire all along?

What would explain him continuing to go through the pain of rehab through the off season and then into the preseason? Then just retire anyway?

What we saw from his actions (not a new spin or a new narrative years later) was that he was getting ready to play in 2019. Until he couldn't any longer.

6 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I can certainly see your version of events as a possibility, but when compared against how I see things have transpired, your version doesn't seem to add up squarely. 

To paraphrase your argument (steel man your argument): Andrew Luck is an introvert who grew up playing team sports. He has many interests and sports is just one of them. Due to the influence of his father, an NFL quarterback, Andrew Luck played football. He excelled at football and went onto college and then eventually played professionally. While he played football professionally, it took a mental toll on him. He was looked at to lead the team. He was in a fishbowl, and was scrutinized, and put in an uncomfortable position as an introvert to be the face of the franchise.  Eventually, all of this took a toll on him. He realized he did not love football and retired.

From my perspective, Luck having a father playing in the NFL is no different that Manning having a father play in the NFL. Manning loved football and so did Andrew Luck. Manning missed an entire season due to injury and so did Andrew Luck. Manning fought like hell to get back onto the football field and so did Andrew Luck. The difference is that Luck sustained far more injuries and at a younger age, (due to his style of play). Luck fought to get back onto the field only to sustain yet another injury that would have kept him out again. (We've already discussed the psychological and emotional toll due to the injuries).

As a fan, I saw passion for the game when I watched Andrew play. He loved the game and played to win. I saw Luck pick up the Donald Brown fumble and hurl himself into the end zone during the Chiefs playoff game. I saw Andrew Luck yelling and spitting. I saw Andrew Luck get sacked over and over again and get back up to lead the team to a win. All of this goes against the narrative that Andrew Luck was a guy who didn't love football.  I saw a guy go through years of rehab to get back onto the football field, including working with doctors and trainers to get back onto the field in 2019. All of this goes against the idea that Luck didn't love football.

And here we are now. Luck is retired, going to school so that he can become a teacher and coach the sport the he loves, football.

When reading the story I had the same sentiment as Doug did. I think Luck himself loved playing football, but at a certain point he himself questioned his own love and passion for the game.  These doubts were growing with the lingering shoulder-rehab and  reoccured with the ankle/lower legg injury. 

This is a great article. WOW! It's really long but I would advise any Colts fan to read it. It sheds a lot of light on the progression of his state of mind through the years of his injuries and reasons why he retired so abruptly. No idea why some of you guys are getting it blocked(maybe because I'm not in the US I get the full article)... but it's definitely an essential read if you want to have a better understanding of the events that lead to that retirement and what's to follow for him. Huge props to Seth Wickersham first for getting the access to talk to Luck on the record(noone else was able to do that.. .even our local journalists who lived in the same community with Luck for the last 10 years)...  and then for doing that story justice. IMO this is a great storytelling journalism and it really paints a picture and gives better view for us as fans about what actually happened. This is narrative journalism at its best.

I loved Luck. He is the reason I'm a Colts fan now. Wish the guy nothing but the best in his life, even though his retirement was quite possibly one of the most traumatic and painful moments of my sports fandom in any sport. 

Just now, CR91 said:

If the guy wants to sit on 250 mil and spend time with his wife and daughter, who are we to judge. Any one of us would do the same.

Nice life that is for sure. I can't blame him. It really depends on how much someone loves football. I have seen guys like Brett Favre take a beating for 20 years because he wanted to play and be one of the best ever in the end. He was married and has kids. It just depends on the person. Tom chose football over family, Peyton played with a broken neck basically and won that 2nd SB.

8 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

When reading the story I had the same sentiment as Doug did. I think Luck himself loved playing football, but at a certain point he himself questioned his own love and passion for the game.  These doubts were growing with the lingering shoulder-rehab and  reoccured with the ankle/lower legg injury. 

I agree with this actually. I think based on Luck's own words, this is true.

The difference between Doug's position and mine is that I think Luck loves football and would still be playing today if it were not for the injuries. It's the injuries that caused the doubt, confusion, and eventually the retirement.

I do not mean to speak for Doug. He is articulate and can write his own argument. But it sounds like Doug is making the argument that the psychological toll was too much for Luck and he would have retired anyway. In our discussion so far, Doug has not conceded that the lower leg injury was the last straw, which once again would have put Luck through the same internal struggles.

I enjoyed reading that article and it also saddened me. I think we knew a part of the story (shoulder injury, lacerated kidney, injuring shoulder when snowboarding, the very long rehab, etc.)

The personal aspects were more interesting to me, like how he handeled the rehabbing process, how hard it 'hit' him, as rehab didn't go as planned, how he tried to fix his throwing motion and mechanics of his throws, how hard it was it to his then girlfriend/now wife. The growing doubts, feeling 'fed up'. It out the known facts into perspective.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is a great article. WOW! It's really long but I would advise any Colts fan to read it. It sheds a lot of light on the progression of his state of mind through the years of his injuries and reasons why he retired so abruptly. No idea why some of you guys are getting it blocked(maybe because I'm not in the US I get the full article)... but it's definitely an essential read if you want to have a better understanding of the events that lead to that retirement and what's to follow for him. 

I loved Luck. He is the reason I'm a Colts fan now. Wish the guy nothing but the best in his life, even though his retirement was quite possibly one of the most traumatic and painful moments of my sports fandom in any sport. 

I loved him too, it crushed me when he retired motion city soundtrack pop punk GIF by mtv- I was expecting 15 years of great football here. Sometimes things just don't work out.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Can't read the whole article.  Behind a wall.

The first part of it sounds like he just never really wanted to be a football player.  The success and fame and sort of civic duty that goes with it is very tough to turn away from, but his personality seems just never suited to be that guy.

You recently write a long screed against Luck.   It was impressive in the fact that almost everything you wrote was astonishingly wrong.  I think the only thing you got right was that Luck retired weeks before the start of the season.  You know, gems like Luck went to Europe for the architecture.  

You’ve read about 1-2 percent of a very very long story about Luck’s life and career.   And from that you jumped to silly conclusions that were — SURPRISE!! — wrong. 

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If the guy wants to sit on 250 mil and spend time with his wife and daughter, who are we to judge. Any one of us would do the same.

$250 million?   Huh?

The guy only made barely over $100 million in his career.   Not that Luck is poor and we should set up a Go Fund Me page for the guy.   Just saying you’re way, WAY off on his money. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I loved him too, it crushed me when he retired motion city soundtrack pop punk GIF by mtv- I was expecting 15 years of great football here. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Yep. He was EVERYTHING you can want in a franchise QB. Astonishing football talent, selfless to a fault. Incredible in the community. Absolutely stellar representative of your team in pretty much any situation you can imagine. Such a shame the Colts couldn't support him better on the field... and with some of the light shed in this article - possibly even off the field, too... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yep. He was EVERYTHING you can want in a franchise QB. Astonishing football talent, selfless to a fault. Incredible in the community. Absolutely stellar representative of your team in pretty much any situation you can imagine. Such a shame the Colts couldn't support him better on the field... and with some of the light shed in this article - possibly even off the field, too... 

Yes he was, I agree. He could have went down as a top 10 QB ever IMO.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nice life that is for sure. I can't blame him. It really depends on how much someone loves football. I have seen guys like Brett Favre take a beating for 20 years because he wanted to play and be one of the best ever in the end. He was married and has kids. It just depends on the person. Tom chose football over family, Peyton played with a broken neck basically and won that 2nd SB.

Not everyone wants to play until they can't move

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

$250 million?   Huh?

The guy only made barely over $100 million in his career.   Not that Luck is poor and we should set up a Go Fund Me page for the guy.   Just saying you’re way, WAY off on his money. 

Odds are, given taxes and spending, Luck might still have $50 of that $100 million.   Quite a long way from the $250 mill you think he has.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Why are you making arguments that you admit is based on an article that you didn’t and couldn’t even read?   Who does that?

Your notion about Luck is false.  Just as most everything you’ve written about him is false.   

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we had a stretch where we went 3 years without a RB even getting 100 yards. Andrew still won 11 games.

I think it was 5 years. Truly astonishing. One would think by pure chance you would get a RB to run for 100 yards in a single game... 

12 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

What we saw from his actions (not a new spin or a new narrative years later) was that he was getting ready to play in 2019. Until he couldn't any longer.

I think there's truth on both sides of this. In the article, Luck says he wishes he had told the team after his ankle injury in the 2019 Pro Bowl that he was going to retire. I don't think he intended to retire at that point, but apparently as he replays events in his own mind, he recognizes that he could have gotten ahead of it that early.

"Instead, he told everyone that he'd be all right."

Then as the offseason went on, and his ankle wasn't getting better, he gave voice to his serious doubts. During training camp, he started talking to Castonzo about it.

"He was coming close to saying out loud what he had disclosed only to Nicole and a few others: that he wasn't sure he wanted to do this anymore."

The bolded tells me that he had already admitted over the previous months that he was having doubts. Just not to the team. 

And like you say, this is in hindsight, after three years. Maybe he didn't seriously consider retiring that early in the offseason, and just wishes he did. But his retelling gives a lot of credence to the opinion that retirement was on his mind for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think there's truth on both sides of this. In the article, Luck says he wishes he had told the team after his ankle injury in the 2019 Pro Bowl that he was going to retire. I don't think he intended to retire at that point, but apparently as he replays events in his own mind, he recognizes that he could have gotten ahead of it that early.

"Instead, he told everyone that he'd be all right."

Then as the offseason went on, and his ankle wasn't getting better, he gave voice to his serious doubts. During training camp, he started talking to Castonzo about it.

"He was coming close to saying out loud what he had disclosed only to Nicole and a few others: that he wasn't sure he wanted to do this anymore."

The bolded tells me that he had already admitted over the previous months that he was having doubts. Just not to the team. 

And like you say, this is in hindsight, after three years. Maybe he didn't seriously consider retiring that early in the offseason, and just wishes he did. But his retelling gives a lot of credence to the opinion that retirement was on his mind for a long time.

That is why I posted what I did earlier. After we lost to KC in 2018/2019 playoffs he looked beat up. As time went on I think he just got tired of it. It is just a guess on my part but when he wasn't playing in the pre-season, I started getting worried.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pretty much what we all knew was the reason he retired. He saw the bigger picture in life and wanted more. It wasn’t about the ankle injury at all. 

Glad he expressed regret on the timing. Should of played and retired at end of season.

I think this is a huge oversimplification.  The ankle injury put his life into question.  Without the ankle injury Luck would’ve played in 2019.   So the injury was THE important factor.

43 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I agree, it was the timing that was awful. I'd have some respect for him if he told Irsay. " You know Mr Irsay, the timing of this isn't the best and I realize it's going to put the team in a bind for years. You've paid me handsomely for playing a game and the 25 million bonus that you don't have to pay me is a nice gesture but my moral integrity won't allow me to accept that money."...... But....he didn't say that did he.

So, what did he say? 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think really the only issue with his retirement with people in here is was when he did it. That was my only issue as well. Had he retired after losing to Mahomes and KC in the playoffs, I doubt anyone would have had a problem with that, had he said I just can do it anymore I am too beat up and injured. When he retired it screwed our draft up in 2019 because Ballard never dreamed he would retire. It actually screwed up  the 2018 draft as well because we drafted Nelson to bolster the O.Line who went at #6 to help protect Luck. Josh Allen went #7, had Luck retired before 2018, we may have drafted Allen. Having said that I can see why he retired, I think he was a great QB for 3 years (2012-2014), brought us a lot of wins, I also believe he belongs in the ROH. If he wanted to come back next year, I would be excited. This city would be too I am sure. I wish him well regardless, family is very important, football is just a game. 

You don’t think he was a great QB in 2018?!?   I think it was his best season. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Not sure about other states, but in Indiana we have plenty of coaches who are in fact not teachers. So it's not completely a requirement to be a teacher if coaching is his main focus. But I think he's definitely a history type of guy. He would excel teaching world history with his architecture background. 

I think he wants to teach as well as coach.

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

$250 million?   Huh?

Didn't check the exact amount. Would have easily made 250 though

4 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

So, what did he say? 

People just keep making up random criteria by which they can judge him. 

"It's not that he retired, it's when he retired."

"It's not when he retired, it's when it was announced." 

"It's not his retirement, it's that he kept the money." 

"It's not that he kept the money, it's that he didn't tell Irsay he didn't want the money."

"It's not about the money, it's about the brand of socks he buys."

It never stops. Just admit his decision hurt you, find some closure, and move on. Stop trying to find a way to justify hating him forever.

Archived