Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who makes the call on who starts at QB

csmopar

Lol people should stop believing everything that is said in these pressers. They definitely mask the truth a lot. Irsay said Franks job was safe 7 days before he was fired. Colts especially have a reputation for being dishonest about injuries and decision making. 

Clearly its Irsay making the QB decisions going back to Wentz being shipped out of town. If they are serious about winning Irsay will let Saturday start Ryan when healthy. If Sam starts the rest of the season I think its pretty obvious its Irsay making the call and his intent is to get a high draft pick.

I thought Frank said they all three of them talked about it the night before they made the switch to Sam.  That it wasn't just his decision.  I don't think that it was a mystery that Irsay wanted it.

I expect Saturday is going to mirror pretty much what Irsay wants....or what is okay with Irsay when it comes to major decisions like this. 

If Ryan starts, it will be because Irsay is back on board with the idea.  JMO.

15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Lol people should stop believing everything that is said in these pressers. They definitely mask the truth a lot. Irsay said Franks job was safe 7 days before he was fired. Colts especially have a reputation for being dishonest about injuries and decision making. 

Clearly its Irsay making the QB decisions going back to Wentz being shipped out of town. If they are serious about winning Irsay will let Saturday start Ryan when healthy. If Sam starts the rest of the season I think its pretty obvious its Irsay making the call and his intent is to get a high draft pick.

If that’s the case then why do we even have a HC or general manager. If your not going to trust them then why have one. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If that’s the case then why do we even have a HC or general manager. If your not going to trust them then why have one. 

That doesn't make any sense. You need these people to do their jobs. All im saying is what they tell the media/us and whats actually going on could very well be two different things.

Its been well documented that Irsay forced the Wentz trade out of town. Its been reported that he forced the benching of Ryan.

So who is to say he doesn't still have his hand in the cookie jar. Espcially given the Colts history of misleading media. Dont always take what they say as the concrete truth is what im saying. 

12 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

That doesn't make any sense. You need these people to do their jobs. All im saying is what they tell the media/us and whats actually going on could very well be two different things.

Its been well documented that Irsay forced the Wentz trade out of town. Its been reported that he forced the benching of Ryan.

So who is to say he doesn't still have his hand in the cookie jar. Espcially given the Colts history of misleading media. Dont always take what they say as the concrete truth is what im saying. 

Mike Chappell (or it may have been Venturi) said you really don't have to try to tank in this league.  If that is Irsay's intention, it's not going to take much.

The difference between a 2-15 team and a 9-8 team isn't that much.  A couple plays here and there make the difference.  Hit a gimmie FG in Houston, stop a 2nd string Washington QB in the 4th quarter, and we're in contention.

I know the players do not want to tank.  But when the owner starts getting involved in team decisions, like who should play QB...you have to wonder.

Did anyone hear what Joe Thomas said about the Saturday selection?  He didn't pull any punches.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Mike Chappell (or it may have been Venturi) said you really don't have to try to tank in this league.  If that is Irsay's intention, it's not going to take much.

The difference between a 2-15 team and a 9-8 team isn't that much.  A couple plays here and there make the difference.  Hit a gimmie FG in Houston, stop a 2nd string Washington QB in the 4th quarter, and we're in contention.

I know the players do not want to tank.  But when the owner starts getting involved in team decisions, like who should play QB...you have to wonder.

Did anyone hear what Joe Thomas said about the Saturday selection?  He didn't pull any punches.

I did see that. I dont doubt there is a lot of upset coaches who worked tirelessly to get their opportunity, as well as a lot of people aspiring to be head coaches who are probably even more upset seeing a guy with 0 experience leapfrog them. 

After letting it sit for a bit I guess im ok with the decision. It is what it is and at the end of the day its Irsays team and he can do whetever the heck he wants. There is one thing for sure though. He has pi**ed off a lot of people.

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Irsay...Jeff, we are tanking so I want Sam to QB the rest of the year or else you too will be unemployed. It's up to you who you want to QB though.

Jeff S...OK Jim..I'll decide who will be QB

You really think Jeff is the type of person to play as a puppet to anyone?  He doesn't need this job.   Irsay called him,  not the other way.   If he wanted a puppet he wouldn't have called Jeff

52 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Did anyone ask Venturi if he was tanking as the Colts interim coach?

54 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I did see that. I dont doubt there is a lot of upset coaches who worked tirelessly to get their opportunity, as well as a lot of people aspiring to be head coaches who are probably even more upset seeing a guy with 0 experience leapfrog them. 

After letting it sit for a bit I guess im ok with the decision. It is what it is and at the end of the day its Irsays team and he can do whetever the heck he wants. There is one thing for sure though. He has pi**ed off a lot of people.

But what’s getting over looked here is that all those coaches were outside the organization. Which means the additional rules apply plus you’re not allowed to interview another teams coaches during the season. So wth was he supposed to do 

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But what’s getting over looked here is that all those coaches were outside the organization. Which means the additional rules apply plus you’re not allowed to interview another teams coaches during the season. So wth was he supposed to do 

I dunno maybe what every other organization has done every time an interim is needed since forever.  Promote someone from within...but hey im not against it. I thought it was crazy at first. I actually like how unconventional it is. Still going to upset a lot of people.

39 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dunno maybe what every other organization has done every time an interim is needed since forever.  Promote someone from within...but hey im not against it. I thought it was crazy at first. I actually like how unconventional it is. Still going to upset a lot of people.

That’s exactly what they did. They just chose one of their consultants 

I've been surprised when people say Irsay is meddling.  When the Colts were pursuing Wentz, I believe, Irsay announced that QB is always an equal 3 way decision among owner, coach and GM.  I suppose no one was listening to him, and it doesn't surprise me that the local media forgot about this statement and has never brought that clip up in reference to Wentz, Ryan or Sam.  Irsay flat out told everyone - when it comes to QB, he's always in on it.

The owner is meddling on hiring a coach?  In most locales, doesn't the owner always hire the coach?  As far as I know, Irsay chose Dungy, not Polian.

18 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Irsay wouldn’t allow Ryan to be the backup if he was that intent on not wanting to pay him next season.

We'll see how Sam plays tomorrow, but the smart play might be to ride Matt through the end of his contract in 2023.  They should have have just gone with Phil for 2 years.  If they draft a QB, chances are they won't be drafting and QB like Luck who can walk in and go 11-5 in year one.

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

We'll see how Sam plays tomorrow, but the smart play might be to ride Matt through the end of his contract in 2023.  They should have have just gone with Phil for 2 years.  If they draft a QB, chances are they won't be drafting and QB like Luck who can walk in and go 11-5 in year one.

They wanted Phil for another year but he chose to retire. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did any of you read the quotes from Irsay in Bob Kravitz athletic article. He was saying Reich is the one that wanted Sam to start the rest of the season. I have a subscription so I will pull the quotes from it in a little bit.  Irsay was ridiculous in these quotes.

Interesting. 

Opposite than what the media suggested. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As it has been said on this thread and forum, if Sam starts, the intent is to tank, if Matt starts, there is a legit effort to save the season. This decision will answer that question before the game starts.

It's already been stated that Sam is starting this week. Ryan is the backup.

Now moving to next week, that could be debated on what it means. Not tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's already been stated that Sam is starting this week. Ryan is the backup.

Now moving to next week, that could be debated on what it means. Not tomorrow.

No new coach or playcaller is going to immediately make Sam better than Matt tomorrow. As of now, Matt is better. That's a fact. One game isn't going to make Sam better where it'd change anyone's mind. There are two reasons he's starting, and that's 1.) to evaluate him and 2.) to tank 9 times out of 10.

It's the same reason Irsay hired Saturday. He's unqualified and 9 times out of 10, you will tank with him. Combine Jeff and Sam, and it's the perfect recipe for a top 5 pick.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No new coach or playcaller is going to immediately make Sam better than Matt tomorrow. As of now, Matt is better. That's a fact. One game isn't going to make Sam better where it'd change anyone's mind. There are two reasons he's starting, and that's 1.) to evaluate him and 2.) to tank 9 times out of 10.

It's the same reason Irsay hired Saturday. He's unqualified and 9 times out of 10, you will tank with him. Combine Jeff and Sam, and it's the perfect recipe for a top 5 pick.

No new coach or play caller is going to make that change when hired from outside the organization during game week. You are going with what the team has been doing to keep things as regular for team and reevaluate after game.

Nothing about Saturday being here is about tanking. Nothing.

If tanking was what they wanted to do, Frank was doing a pretty good job of it why he was here. No reason to let them go. 

He was let go, to have a better chance to win. Will that result in more wins? That's TBD, we have tough schedule so probably losing either way in most cases.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

No new coach or play caller is going to make that change when hired from outside the organization during game week. You are going with what the team has been doing to keep things as regular for team and reevaluate after game.

Nothing about Saturday being here is about tanking. Nothing.

If tanking was what they wanted to do, Frank was doing a pretty good job of it why he was here. No reason to let them go. 

He was let go, to have a better chance to win. Will that result in more wins? That's TBD, we have tough schedule so probably losing either way in most cases.

Sam literally started two weeks. That's not regular. In fact, Matt has started more games than Sam this year, so if anything, that's "the regular" for them. Saturday is absolutely a tank move. He's literally the most unqualified HC in 61 years based on coaching experience. This is more of an obvious tank move than in 2011 when we tanked for Luck. Keeping Sam in just adds to the unqualified HC to assure there's no chance he can do anything to win. 

Frank would have won us 6-7 games most likely. That's what we were on pace for, and he always picks it up in the 2nd half and coaches better. If you're going to tank, do it right. You're basically insulting Irsay by saying it's not a tank job. He's intelligent enough to know we need a franchise QB. He's intelligent enough to know his two QBs that have been worth something (Manning and Luck) were former no1 overall picks. He knows good and well high 1st round QBs hit the most. He's trying to get us there without mortgaging the future.

Irsay is a smart man. Give him some credit and don't assume everyone plays completely by the rules. Irsay is a businessman and loves this team. If any owner would tank, it's him, based on his past, and his love for the team.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Sam literally started two weeks. That's not regular. In fact, Matt has started more games than Sam this year, so if anything, that's "the regular"

What's regular, is the guy that has been in. Not who was in earlier and currently injured.

Plus, when asked that question, Ryan's injury progress wasn't even known. 

Should say a lot that they move Ryan to backup. If Sam gets hurt he will have to play.  That must of skipped the tanking agenda's priorities.

Should of just brought Jack Coan back in to back up, if they really want to tank.

Makes sense to see what Ehlinger can do.

Funny 80% of forum or more was calling for Matt Ryan's job because his turnovers were costing us games.

Now if he isn't in to cost us games, we are tanking....

Sounds like good sound Colts forum logic. Shouldn't ever expect different though.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

What's regular, is the guy that has been in. Not who was in earlier and currently injured.

Plus, when asked that question, Ryan's injury progress wasn't even known. 

Should say a lot that they move Ryan to backup. If Sam gets hurt he will have to play.  That must of skipped the tanking agenda's priorities.

Should of just brought Jack Coan back in to back up, if they really want to tank.

Makes sense to see what Ehlinger can do.

Funny 80% of forum or more was calling for Matt Ryan's job because his turnovers were costing us games.

Now if he isn't in to cost us games, we are tanking....

Sounds like good sound Colts forum logic. Shouldn't ever expect different though.

Just because Matt turned the ball over doesn't mean he couldn't move the ball. He still forced teams to respect the pass game, and we could run it a bit. Yes, people wanted to see what Sam could do, now we have a better idea. This is called reacting and adapting to new information as we get it. It'd be dumb to hold on to the same beliefs when they are outdated. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Just because Matt turned the ball over doesn't mean he couldn't move the ball. He still forced teams to respect the pass game, and we could run it a bit. Yes, people wanted to see what Sam could do, now we have a better idea. This is called reacting and adapting to new information as we get it. It'd be dumb to hold on to the same beliefs when they are outdated. 

And like I said, if you want to form that opinion on Jeff next week that's fine, but this week's QB situation has already been decided.

And, in Ryan's favor, as he is going to at least be active. 1 step closer to being back on the field.

This week the guy got hired on Monday, had a QB that has started for last 2 weeks in place, and one that was dealing with an injury. No OC or play caller, and has to make decisions for this week quickly and get on with the week preparations.

Guy dealing with an injury was looking healthier, gets elevated to active.

That's what it is tomorrow, I think there will be a good chance we see Ryan, whether that be a Sam injury or less than desired play.

Can't see how Ryan's elevation helps the tanking theory.?

I don't care about Saturday's experience either. Taking Gus away from his defense, which is playing good ball, definitely makes no sense.

Same with Bubba, keep him doing what he is doing.

Saturday literally effects neither one of them. He can let them do there thing and try and help the offense and OL.

I just want to see the team playing motivated ball. That wasn't happening and it was spiraling way out of control and was only going to get worse.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That doesn’t mean much. Sam could get pulled after one  series.

Clearly, as I just posted in post above 

How does that support a tank theory though?

I think Ryan has a better than 50% chance of playing tomorrow.

My only point, is not to judge Saturday's decision to start Ehlinger THIS week as it means the team is tanking.

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

And like I said, if you want to form that opinion on Jeff next week that's fine, but this week's QB situation has already been decided.

And, in Ryan's favor, as he is going to at least be active. 1 step closer to being back on the field.

This week the guy got hired on Monday, had a QB that has started for last 2 weeks in place, and one that was dealing with an injury. No OC or play caller, and has to make decisions for this week quickly and get on with the week preparations.

Guy dealing with an injury was looking healthier, gets elevated to active.

That's what it is tomorrow, I think there will be a good chance we see Ryan, whether that be a Sam injury or less than desired play.

Can't see how Ryan's elevation helps the tanking theory.?

I don't care about Saturday's experience either. Taking Gus away from his defense, which is playing good ball, definitely makes no sense.

Same with Bubba, keep him doing what he is doing.

Saturday literally effects neither one of them. He can let them do there thing and try and help the offense and OL.

I just want to see the team playing motivated ball. That wasn't happening and it was spiraling way out of control and was only going to get worse.

I'm forming that opinion on Jeff because of his experience. Being the least experienced head coach in 61 years means something, whether you care or not. You are wearing Colts blinders on your eyes on that one. 

Ryan being activated and 2nd string makes it so the tanking is less obvious. You are already putting Saturday as HC, Parks Frazier as playcaller, and Sam as the starting QB. You have to give off some sort of indication that you are "trying to win." Putting Ryan as the backup and making him active does that. It's a "if Sam struggles, we can start Matt Ryan instead" move. It's to be determined if Matt enters the game at all if or when Sam does struggle, but it tells people that the Colts are trying (in theory anyway).

I agree that Gus and Bubba should have remained at their positions, and they did.

I said this with Sam and I'll say it with Saturday, I hope he either tanks as a HC or absolutely dominates. Mediocrity is the worst thing he could be. I believe Irsay has the same belief.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

My only point, is not to judge Saturday's decision to start Ehlinger THIS week as it means the team is tanking.

IMO the reason Sam is starting is because of his mobility. If the O-line shows any kind of life we may see Ryan. But till we see that Ryan can be protected we will see Sam.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

“Unqualified” - hmmm.  Why, because he’s not a member of the recycled coaches club?

Archived