Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who makes the call on who starts at QB

csmopar

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

“Unqualified” - hmmm.  Why, because he’s not a member of the recycled coaches club.

You know why. He has 0 NFL experience at any level and 0 college experience at any level. This isn't Madden where a 10 year old can pick up the game and do well the first time he/she plays it. You actually have to have experience doing it. He has had none. The least since Norm Van Brocklin in 1961. 

Being a Colts fan doesn't mean he will be a good HC, having faith doesn't mean he'll be a good HC, being a good fan and hoping against the odds doesn't mean he'll be a good HC. Getting experience at the college and pro levels prepare you for a HC job at the NFL level. He is out of his element right now. He's a HS coach with name value. There are probably posters on this forum that have 3 years of HS coaching experience that are just as qualified as him.

I like the hire because I want to tank the rest of the year. If the small chance happens he does succeed, that's great too. The odds are astronomical it will happen though. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No new coach or playcaller is going to immediately make Sam better than Matt tomorrow. As of now, Matt is better. That's a fact. One game isn't going to make Sam better where it'd change anyone's mind. There are two reasons he's starting, and that's 1.) to evaluate him and 2.) to tank 9 times out of 10.

It's the same reason Irsay hired Saturday. He's unqualified and 9 times out of 10, you will tank with him. Combine Jeff and Sam, and it's the perfect recipe for a top 5 pick.

Ryan is the best option, if the OL if functional. It has not been functional. And his turnovers and sacks are the reason why Sam brought in. 

I won't pretend that Sam is great or good. He's not. But he's more mobile, and has not been a turnover machine like Ryan,

Now... if the OL improves, and Ryan comes back... or if Sam gets the hook and Ryan plays..... that will destroy your narrative above. And if Jeff wins, same thing, but even more. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Ryan is the best option, if the OL if functional. It has not been functional. And his turnovers and sacks are the reason why Sam brought in. 

I won't pretend that Sam is great or good. He's not. But he's more mobile, and has not been a turnover machine like Ryan,

Now... if the OL improves, and Ryan comes back... or if Sam gets the hook and Ryan plays..... that will destroy your narrative above. And if Jeff wins, same thing, but even more. 

I agree, and I will admit I'm wrong if it happens. I don't believe that is the intent though. If it does happen, the Colts will play along with it though and try to salvage the season.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree, and I will admit I'm wrong if it happens. I don't believe that is the intent though. If it does happen, the Colts will play along with it though and try to salvage the season.

It's all opinion right now. Everyone is guessing. 

And I have no clue in terms what will happen.

One thing I am confident about (just my gut), Jeff isn't a guy who would tank. IMO, he wants to win. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

It's all opinion right now. Everyone is guessing. 

And I have no clue in terms what will happen.

One thing I am confident about (just my gut), Jeff isn't a guy who would tank. IMO, he wants to win. 

I agree with this 100%. Jeff doesn't want to tank, he does want to win. The problem is, and Irsay knows this, is he's probably not good enough to win. He hasn't coached at a high enough level, or had any experience winning beyond high school. To win at the NFL level with his experience would be unprecedented. This is what Irsay is counting on, along saddling him with Sam and Parks Frazier calling the plays, Irsay has made it almost impossible for him.

If Matt comes in and plays with an improved O-Line, then things could change. That's a big if though.

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You know why. He has 0 NFL experience at any level and 0 college experience at any level. This isn't Madden where a 10 year old can pick up the game and do well the first time he/she plays it. You actually have to have experience doing it. He has had none. The least since Norm Van Brocklin in 1961. 

Being a Colts fan doesn't mean he will be a good HC, having faith doesn't mean he'll be a good HC, being a good fan and hoping against the odds doesn't mean he'll be a good HC. Getting experience at the college and pro levels prepare you for a HC job at the NFL level. He is out of his element right now. He's a HS coach with name value. There are probably posters on this forum that have 3 years of HS coaching experience that are just as qualified as him.

I like the hire because I want to tank the rest of the year. If the small chance happens he does succeed, that's great too. The odds are astronomical it will happen though. 

We’ll see.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with this 100%. Jeff doesn't want to tank, he does want to win. The problem is, and Irsay knows this, is he's probably not good enough to win. He hasn't coached at a high enough level, or had any experience winning beyond high school. To win at the NFL level with his experience would be unprecedented. This is what Irsay is counting on, along saddling him with Sam and Parks Frazier calling the plays, Irsay has made it almost impossible for him.

If Matt comes in and plays with an improved O-Line, then things could change. That's a big if though.

I have a different opinion.

It's not about Ws or Ls... It's about evaluation. 

So that's not tanking to me. 

Biggest thing for me... We got nowhere with Frank in 5 years. I'm perfectly OK with rolling dice for 8 weeks... Zero risk.. 

And every internal option was either meh, didn't help with O, and/or created a hole. 

An easier way to tank... Fox... or stay with Frank. 

2 hours ago, #12. said:

We'll see how Sam plays tomorrow, but the smart play might be to ride Matt through the end of his contract in 2023.  They should have have just gone with Phil for 2 years.  If they draft a QB, chances are they won't be drafting and QB like Luck who can walk in and go 11-5 in year one.

I am pretty confident there Ryan is NOT here next year. They aren’t giving the guy they benched 7 games in…$35M the following season. Even if it’s not Irsay deciding who plays QB rib right now, it’s his money. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I have a different opinion.

It's not about Ws or Ls... It's about evaluation. 

So that's not tanking to me. 

Biggest thing for me... We got nowhere with Frank in 5 years. I'm perfectly OK with rolling dice for 8 weeks... Zero risk.. 

And every internal option was either meh, didn't help with O, and/or created a hole. 

An easier way to tank... Fox... or stay with Frank. 

Yeah, we disagree completely here. Saturday may evaluate the players, but no one could pull off a tank job better than him. The NFL will hit him hard as a HC, and two months isn't enough time to learn from the HS level to the pro level. Irsay knows this. 

There's 0 risk, I agree, we either tank, or Saturday beats the odds and is a good coach. He's here 8 weeks and we get to decide whether to keep him or not after the season. 

Irsay wants a franchise QB. Trust me. In fact, he may have wanted one earlier and Ballard took someone else (just a guess).

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, we disagree completely here. Saturday may evaluate the players, but no one could pull off a tank job better than him. The NFL will hit him hard as a HC, and two months isn't enough time to learn from the HS level to the pro level. Irsay knows this. 

There's 0 risk, I agree, we either tank, or Saturday beats the odds and is a good coach. He's here 8 weeks and we get to decide whether to keep him or not after the season. 

Irsay wants a franchise QB. Trust me. In fact, he may have wanted one earlier and Ballard took someone else (just a guess).

No one could pull off a better tank job?  Did you watch the game last week?    If the goal was to tank, why make changes after that game?

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I am pretty confident there Ryan is NOT here next year. They aren’t giving the guy they benched 7 games in…$35M the following season. Even if it’s not Irsay deciding who plays QB rib right now, it’s his money. 

Yeah I think there is only 1 scenario where I could see Ryan back.

That's if he takes us like 6-2/7-1 over last 8 games, has to get in first. Plus at least a playoff victory. Unlikely for all.

If not the Colts take their $17.2m cap relief and move on.

Take whatever assets needed to go get their QB in the draft.

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard is only responsible for 1 of the QBs since Luck.

That's Brissett who he acquired for Dorsett. Only issue with this move was the overpaid extension he gave him. I can see the ideology of throwing support and confidence behind a guy, though. Just didn't work out.

Rivers and Wentz are both Reich guys. Ballard just brought them in.

We all know, or think we know, that Irsay forced out Wentz.

Forced to bring someone else in.

Ryan became available, can't really say that is Ballard's guy either. Well you can, but I don't.

Hopefully he see drafts his guy this spring.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

LOL.. we were doing just fine tanking already.. Just leave Frank there, and let Ryan continue to toss picks and get sacked... 

And if you want a guaranteed tank, pay Fox the $$, and let the O continue do zero.. instead of guy who will focus (85% time on O) on the problem, and a guy that will motivate.. Jeff is hungry... Fox's career is done. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

LOL.. we were doing just fine tanking already.. Just leave Frank there, and let Ryan continue to toss picks and get sacked... 

And if you want a guaranteed tank, pay Fox the $$, and let the O continue do zero.. instead of guy who will focus (85% time on O) on the problem, and a guy that will motivate.. Jeff is hungry... Fox's career is done. 

We have the 14th pick currently. I don't believe we are doing just fine tanking. That'll get a boost though.

I feel confident that Jeff Saturday would have asked this ?? when Jim Irsay contacted him about the job.

If he didn't feel like he would have control over the game day decisions - I seriously doubt that he would have taken the job.

Best wishes Jeff - make us proud(er)!!

Irsay quotes from Kravitz article.

When Chris (Ballard), Frank and I decided to go with Sam, Frank wanted to name him quarterback for the year, but I told them, ‘Look, we have three quarterbacks; we need to use them all to win this year,” Irsay said. “… If we decide to make a change, we’ll make a change. It’s not something we’re locked into. We’re going with Sam with his mobility and his playmaking ability since we’re struggling in (pass) protection and moving the ball, that’s what we all decided to do.

“There was never a notion that you wouldn’t go to Nick or Matt later in the season when (Ryan’s) shoulder is healthy. They’re all available to help us win, bottom line. … It’s always been about whoever can help us win going forward. We’re going with Sam, and if there’s a notion for Jeff to make a change … that’s Jeff’s prerogative, and it was always Frank’s prerogative. It’s wrong to say I mandated it (the move to Ehlinger) and it’s wrong to say they can’t go to the other guy.”

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Irsay quotes from Kravitz article.

When Chris (Ballard), Frank and I decided to go with Sam, Frank wanted to name him quarterback for the year, but I told them, ‘Look, we have three quarterbacks; we need to use them all to win this year,” Irsay said. “… If we decide to make a change, we’ll make a change. It’s not something we’re locked into. We’re going with Sam with his mobility and his playmaking ability since we’re struggling in (pass) protection and moving the ball, that’s what we all decided to do.

“There was never a notion that you wouldn’t go to Nick or Matt later in the season when (Ryan’s) shoulder is healthy. They’re all available to help us win, bottom line. … It’s always been about whoever can help us win going forward. We’re going with Sam, and if there’s a notion for Jeff to make a change … that’s Jeff’s prerogative, and it was always Frank’s prerogative. It’s wrong to say I mandated it (the move to Ehlinger) and it’s wrong to say they can’t go to the other guy.”

Sounds about right to me.

The more this has played out it seemed as if this was Frank's final decision. All 3 talked about it, but it was Frank's call.

On 11/11/2022 at 2:36 PM, csmopar said:

This was a question asked in todays presser of Jeff Saturday.

without hesitation, his response: “I Do, that is a head coach decision”

A lot on here claim Irsay makes that call, or made the call to go to Sam. Sure doesn’t sound that way

It's Saturday's call as long as its SamE. and NOT RYAN :funny:

On 11/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, w87r said:

Yeah I think there is only 1 scenario where I could see Ryan back.

That's if he takes us like 6-2/7-1 over last 8 games, has to get in first. Plus at least a playoff victory. Unlikely for all.

If not the Colts take their $17.2m cap relief and move on.

Take whatever assets needed to go get their QB in the draft.

I guess anything is possible. But that sounds like a super depressing offseason. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, Nesjan3 said:

Lol people should stop believing everything that is said in these pressers. They definitely mask the truth a lot. Irsay said Franks job was safe 7 days before he was fired. Colts especially have a reputation for being dishonest about injuries and decision making. 

Clearly its Irsay making the QB decisions going back to Wentz being shipped out of town. If they are serious about winning Irsay will let Saturday start Ryan when healthy. If Sam starts the rest of the season I think its pretty obvious its Irsay making the call and his intent is to get a high draft pick.

Jeff Saturday in response: “Look at me bro, I Do, that is a head coach decision”

Archived