Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard interview on the fan

CR91

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Nope.  Never saw Creed and heard it was good too.  Don’t really know why.

image.jpeg.45f14e147a72784214cb0ee2b33193dd.jpeg

Me either. Creed has been on my list for a long time. 

Just never seem to pull the trigger. I watch less movies these days I guess. 

Basically, Sly is not happy with Irwin Winkler. Sly wrote the Rocky stories, but sold the rights. Now he feels he's being cheated. 

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Dude... you're absolutely hopeless sometimes. He was graded a 1R by NFL.com... 

He dropped because he's Austrian, a little older, and converted from TE. His tape and grades at OT were great. 

I have seen other grades as a RT or guard or that a 1st round is to rich. We can all go to sites to support our argument. If  he was a 1st round graded LT, I doubt teams would have let him slide to the 3rd if he was graded as a 1ST round talent. I think he went where he was projected by most  teams. A 25 year old with limited experience with a lot of upside. Potential star or bust.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if he wasn’t graded out as a first rounder, I don’t think anyone saw him falling to pick 77.    I think his age (He’ll be 25 on wk3) plus his limited background hurt his draft status. 

Yup and that's why he slid. I think he will eventually be a guard 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have seen other grades as a RT or guard or that a 1st round is to rich. We can all go to sites to support our argument. If  he was a 1st round graded LT, I doubt teams would have let him slide to the 3rd if he was graded as a 1ST round talent. I think he went where he was projected by most  teams. A 25 year old with limited experience with a lot of upside. Potential star or bust.

I didn't use just any source. I used the NFL.com, which most consider the best. 

If you prefer PFF, they had him as the 18th overall prospect lol....

Those are the two most respected sources these days.

I saw him projected in the 2nd too by a lot of places.

I don't think any had him in the 3R. 

I'd say the chances of bust are pretty low. Super low if you factor 3rd round expectation. 

Overall, you'll find something to be a contrarian about lol.... You don't like Q even though he's universally considered one of the best OL in the league. IIRC, you're not happy with Leonard, although he's considered one of the best if not the best LB in the league... And he slid out of the 1st lol. I'm just waiting on rants about JT and Pittman lol. I think you may have already shown some negativity on Pittman. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure Drago would have stopped Ngakoue round the edge though. 

Boxing ring, sure. 

Of course my reference was to those that think he needs to add muscle or any significant amount of weight. We can be thankful that he is said to have very quick feet. 

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO Raimann's arm length was probably the biggest knock against him. That and his age. 

Arm length, age (playing against guys that are 3-4 years younger), competition (G5 conference). There was also some rumor about potential knee issues, but I have not heard anything else about it since then.

Pierce is still learning routes and releases. I appreciate Ballard being reasonable about him.

I am curious if he said anything about Rodgers. Seems like every time I watch a TC highlight, it's Rodgers getting beat. Sounds like Facyson will be the CB2 to start the season.

14 hours ago, Nickster said:

Drago was slow .  Chicken chasing Rocky ran circles around him.  Apollo did train Rockmto dance though.

Clubber Lang would smoke them all, he was 31-0 with 31-0 KO's and is the only guy ever to knock Rocky out. Knocked him out in 2 rounds. Rocky got his revenge knocking Clubber out in 3 rounds in the rematch (Rocky outsmarted him and wore him out - rope a dope) and Clubber fell to 31-1, but Clubber was the man.

Animated GIF

27 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Pierce is still learning routes and releases. I appreciate Ballard being reasonable about him.

I am curious if he said anything about Rodgers. Seems like every time I watch a TC highlight, it's Rodgers getting beat. Sounds like Facyson will be the CB2 to start the season.

I saw that Rodgers did very well the first two days of camp. 

But, you are right in that all the clips seem to be Rodgers getting beat. To be fair, a few of them have been tough catches.

Receivers do seem to be able to body him a  lot, maybe do to his smaller frame?

He could also just be playing a lot more man during camp drills & the 11 v 11. He’s a zone corner 

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd say the chances of bust are pretty low. Super low if you factor 3rd round expectation. 

Overall, you'll find something to be a contrarian about lol.... You don't like Q even though he's universally considered one of the best OL in the league. IIRC, you're not happy with Leonard, although he's considered one of the best if not the best LB in the league... And he slid out of the 1st lol. I'm just waiting on rants about JT and Pittman lol. I think you may have already shown some negativity on Pittman. 

I love Taylor lol

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Can't wait till it's time to extend him, and hear your take. 

Nelson. Don't hate him , I just don't believe in signing a guard to 20 million if that's what they settle on. Is he one of the best? I am sure he is but I would take money and invest else where and his back issues and injuries from last year scare me. Leonard is great but i just don't like investing that much in that position.  Plus, I just get tired of him talking. So yeah, you could say I don't care for him much. I have said Pittman is a very good #2 and there is nothing wrong with that. He is just in the class of many #1's on other teams. Taylor? Well we will have to see what he has on the treads and what kind of team the Colts r when it comes to resiging him. It has kind of been disastrous for teams signing rbs to a 2nd contract but it worked out for the Titans.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nelson. Don't hate him , I just don't believe in signing a guard to 20 million if that's what they settle on. Is he one of the best? I am sure he is but I would take money and invest else where and his back issues and injuries from last year scare me. Leonard is great but i just don't like investing that much in that position.  Plus, I just get tired of him talking. So yeah, you could say I don't care for him much. I have said Pittman is a very good #2 and there is nothing wrong with that. He is just in the class of many #1's on other teams. Taylor? Well we will have to see what he has on the treads and what kind of team the Colts r when it comes to resiging him. It has kind of been disastrous for teams signing rbs to a 2nd contract but it worked out for the Titans.

Overall we really have a solid good roster, not great, but good. If Matt Ryan is just good as well, we can do some damage. This team has me more intrigued way more than last year. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Overall we really have a solid good roster, not great, but good. If Matt Ryan is just good as well, we can do some damage. This team has me more intrigued way more than last year. 

Agreed. I think fans better get ready for big run plays. We were really critical of the D line being unable to generate pressure. Now they r going balls put after the qb. I expect the sacks will greatly improve. However, I don't want to hear any crying when they run 15 yards by Yannick. The lbs also better man up. They r going to see a lot runs coming right at them. I think this group will struggle.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed. I think fans better get ready for big run plays. We were really critical of the D line being unable to generate pressure. Now they r going balls put after the qb. I expect the sacks will greatly improve. However, I don't want to hear any crying when they run 15 yards by Yannick. The lbs also better man up. They r going to see a lot runs coming right at them. I think this group will struggle.

Yannick is similar to Freeney, weak against the run but a great pass rusher. I am not worried about that. We need to get to that QB in today's passing league.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yannick is similar to Freeney, weak against the run but a great pass rusher. I am not worried about that. We need to get to that QB in today's passing league.

I disagree. Freeny was an elite pass rusher who the Colts would never have traded. Yannick is a good pass rusher who has been traded and discarded by a few teams. They had similar roles but not the same talent level. I do agree they they were not good against the run but that was not Freeney's iob. The book on Yannick is that he basically refuses to play the  run lol. He runs wide on almost every play taking himself out of position. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yannick will also have something Freeney never really had.  Very good linebacker play behind to help against the run.

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

22 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

10 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Arm length, age (playing against guys that are 3-4 years younger), competition (G5 conference). There was also some rumor about potential knee issues, but I have not heard anything else about it since then.

I think Raimann's predraft grade was indeed in the low 1R early 2R..had the ability but some of the metrics kept him lower than the Trevor Pennington tier.

IIRC, he was sliding during the draft and a report/rumor came out that some teams flagged him for medical reasons...maybe even some taking him off their board.  Turned out there were rumors about chronic knee tendinitis, which is thought to be a precursor to arthritis and that limits a players longevity.  Longevity factors into 1R consideration.  ( I think knee tendinitis/arthritis is eventually why Jack Mewhort left the NFL)

So he may have been listed high in many of the official draft analysis like East says, but I think maybe days or even hours before the draft GMs started devaluing him.  I don't know if he can be considered a steal.  He may play great and play above his draft slot, but there is still the longevity issue that factors into draft slotting.

And the knee thing may turn out to be a bunch of hooey.  Hard to tell at this point.  I'm glad we have him for pick 77 though.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Raimann's predraft grade was indeed in the low 1R early 2R..had the ability but some of the metrics kept him lower than the Trevor Pennington tier.

IIRC, he was sliding during the draft and a report/rumor came out that some teams flagged him for medical reasons...maybe even some taking him off their board.  Turned out there were rumors about chronic knee tendinitis, which is thought to be a precursor to arthritis and that limits a players longevity.  Longevity factors into 1R consideration.

So he may have been listed high in many of the official draft analysis like East says, but I think maybe days or even hours before the draft GMs started devaluing him and that happened after the pundits' last publications.  I don't know if he can be considered a steal.  He may play great and play above his draft slot, but there is still the longevity issue that factors into draft slotting.

And the knee thing may turn out to be a bunch of hooey.  Hard to tell at this point.

I've searched high and low, and could find nothing about tendinitis? I think I've asked you before for a link. Got one?

If there's any one reason why he dropped, it's likely his 1 on 1 tape at the SR Bowl. But he did more than fine in the game itself. His film against LSU was also more than adequate to overcome some of the 1 on 1 concerns. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I've searched high and low, and could find nothing about tendinitis? I think I've asked you before for a link. Got one?

If there's any one reason why he dropped, it's likely his 1 on 1 tape at the SR Bowl. But he did more than fine in the game itself. His film against LSU was also more than adequate to overcome some of the 1 on 1 concerns. 

No, not about the tendinitis, but about the medical red flag.  Later I heard that it was the tendinitis, but don't have a link.  HIPPA may be at play there too.   

There are about 5 links if you do a "Bernhard Raimann medical" search. I think Charlie Campbell WalterFootball was a source.  He's been around for a while and can have some decent inside sources.

The link is from a Commanders site, but is quoting an ESPN reporter.

https://riggosrag.com/2022/04/27/medical-concerns-top-prospects-shake-first-round-draft/

If you can believe it, another potential first-round tackle, Central Michigan product Bernard Rainmann, was “flunked medically” by some teams, per Campbell.   Like Neal, these teams have removed Rainmann from draft consideration.

While Rainmann has never been a lock to go in Round 1, most mocks have him going early in the second. Dane Brugler of The Athletic mocked him to Seattle at No. 41 overall, while ESPN’s Matt Miller mocked him to Indy at pick No. 42.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure ESPN was talking about it during the draft.  One of those why is this guy who we had rated higher sliding type of things that they often do.  But the tendinitis rumor came out later. 

And I haven't heard anything about it since either.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, not about the tendinitis, but about the medical red flag.  Later I heard that it was the tendinitis, but don't have a link.  HIPPA may be at play there too.   

There are about 5 links if you do a "Bernhard Raimann medical" search. I think Charlie Campbell WalterFootball was a source.  He's been around for a while and can have some decent inside sources.

The link is from a Commanders site, but is quoting an ESPN reporter.

https://riggosrag.com/2022/04/27/medical-concerns-top-prospects-shake-first-round-draft/

If you can believe it, another potential first-round tackle, Central Michigan product Bernard Rainmann, was “flunked medically” by some teams, per Campbell.   Like Neal, these teams have removed Rainmann from draft consideration.

While Rainmann has never been a lock to go in Round 1, most mocks have him going early in the second. Dane Brugler of The Athletic mocked him to Seattle at No. 41 overall, while ESPN’s Matt Miller mocked him to Indy at pick No. 42.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure ESPN was talking about it during the draft.  One of those why is this guy who we had rated higher sliding type of things that they often do.  But the tendinitis rumor came out later. 

And I haven't heard anything about it since either.

I like Campbell's mocks, but I take his reporting with a huge grain of salt. He's had some doooozie "insider" failures. 

If Raimann flunked a bunch of medicals, he's sure getting a ton of work at camp. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I like Campbell's mocks, but I take his reporting with a huge grain of salt. He's had some doooozie "insider" failures. 

If Raimann flunked a bunch of medicals, he's sure getting a ton of work at camp. 

Like I said, it could end up being a bunch of hooey.  I just remember those rumors swirling around draft time and that probably explains why he fell. A short window of bad news.  Not unlike that Lael Collins thing during his draft week.

I think tendinitis is a chronic thing, where there is progressive need for more post game treatment as time passes.  Not a big deal if a team is looking for short term success.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Like I said, it could end up being a bunch of hooey.  I just remember those rumors swirling around draft time and that probably explains why he fell. A short window of bad news.  Not unlike that Lael Collins thing during his draft week.

I think tendinitis is a chronic thing, where there is progressive need for more post game treatment as time passes.  Not a big deal if a team is looking for short term success.

Looks like he made an even bigger deal about Neal (OT), who still went top 10. 

My vote is on hooey right now. 

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I saw that Rodgers did very well the first two days of camp. 

But, you are right in that all the clips seem to be Rodgers getting beat. To be fair, a few of them have been tough catches.

Receivers do seem to be able to body him a  lot, maybe do to his smaller frame?

He could also just be playing a lot more man during camp drills & the 11 v 11. He’s a zone corner 

Rodgers can never be a #1 corner. He lacks the height to go up against the larger #1 wide outs. He has excellent speed and I could see him match up against the smaller yet faster slot receivers  and the odd #1 receiver with similar traits. I see him as Moore's evental replacement.

I met Ballard at training camp it was cool. I told him I like the roster he's built and the the character of the guys he's brought in. We talked the receiving core and he loves and believes in what he's got. I thought Ballard was taller than he is maybe he just looks taller at his press conferences. 

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

IIRC, he was sliding during the draft and a report/rumor came out that some teams flagged him for medical reasons...maybe even some taking him off their board.  Turned out there were rumors about chronic knee tendinitis, which is thought to be a precursor to arthritis and that limits a players longevity.  Longevity factors into 1R consideration.  ( I think knee tendinitis/arthritis is eventually why Jack Mewhort left the NFL)

So he may have been listed high in many of the official draft analysis like East says, but I think maybe days or even hours before the draft GMs started devaluing him.  I don't know if he can be considered a steal.  He may play great and play above his draft slot, but there is still the longevity issue that factors into draft slotting.

And the knee thing may turn out to be a bunch of hooey.  Hard to tell at this point.  I'm glad we have him for pick 77 though.

Rainmann is a great athlete he just lacks enough strength and experience which what's given Pryor the edge right now. 

7 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Rainmann is a great athlete he just lacks enough strength and experience which what's given Pryor the edge right now. 

If he cannot win a starter role on the line, then he was probably drafted about where he should have been.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Looks like he made an even bigger deal about Neal (OT), who still went top 10. 

My vote is on hooey right now. 

Yeah, speculating upon how seriously the market took the Neal flags compared to the Raimann flags would put me in the Confucius peer pay grade.  The idea that Raimann dropped because of health flags combined with a second look at tape and arm length could have all come together in a short window of time.

10 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Sure.  I was just commenting on the draft slide, not the possible reasons for his performance in TC so far.  

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I disagree. Freeny was an elite pass rusher who the Colts would never have traded. Yannick is a good pass rusher who has been traded and discarded by a few teams. They had similar roles but not the same talent level. I do agree they they were not good against the run but that was not Freeney's iob. The book on Yannick is that he basically refuses to play the  run lol. He runs wide on almost every play taking himself out of position. 

I said "similar" to Freeney, Yannick is a great pass rusher in his own right. Is he as great as Freeney, no, but still great. Yannick has 1 job and that is to get QB pressure's and sacks. 

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, age would only take away from that longevity as well. Starting older and finishing sooner. 

Archived