Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard interview on the fan

CR91

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the door is still open for TY.  I think he's being somewhat diplomatic - we all know his love for TY, but, really, is he going to be able to produce without being a distraction?  Can he stay healthy enough to produce?  I'm not so sure he can be depended upon should Campbell go down yet again.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Go to 2 hours and 16 mins

Thanks for the link.    Appreciate it.   Both asked a lot of direct questions.   And Ballard doesn’t flinch.   Handles them well.  

The biggest takeaway….   Nothing means too much until they practice in pads.   And that starts this week — tomorrow. 

Decent interview. All softballs, unless you call obvious TY questions hard balls (I don't). 

My takeaways...

• They'll give the existing WRs a week in pads, and then revisit TY
  • Dulin is a lock (most new this) in the 3-4 space. Regardless of TY being added or not, I think he's safely in the 4 man rotation. 
  • Ballard made the comment which I've said several times... until the pads come on, just not a lot of decisions can be made. Unless we're talking about the passing game, just hard to eval. And even the passing game stuff may look different for individuals once pads go on. Rushing, OL, DL, etc. eval will all really start tomorrow when the team goes to pads.
  • He mentioned Pryor entered camp in great shape physically, which was my biggest concern. Given that, I'm going led pipe lock for Pryor starting at LT (even before the pads go on).
  • Despite Campbell's obvious great showing thus far, Ballard tried to temper his excitement, which is very fair. I think most of us are waiting for the shoe to drop lol. 
  • Said Pierce was doing well, but still had a way to go, specifically mentioned transitioning against the upped level of NFL physical play. 
  • Said what keeps him up is depth. Not just the 53 man roster, but 69 (53+PS) and constantly looking to improve (transactions throughout the season). He's said similar before, but love him staying firm to the strategy. Our PS has improved year over year IMO. 
  • Doyle was not underappreciated by Indy coaches. Could do it all. Will be missed. Mo is the closest to that now. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Decent interview. All softballs, unless you call obvious TY questions hard balls (I don't). 

My takeaways...

• They'll give the existing WRs a week in pads, and then revisit TY
  • Dulin is a lock (most new this) in the 3-4 space. Regardless of TY being added or not, I think he's safely in the 4 man rotation. 
  • Ballard made the comment which I've said several times... until the pads come on, just not a lot of decisions can be made. Unless we're talking about the passing game, just hard to eval. And even the passing game stuff may look different for individuals once pads go on. Rushing, OL, DL, etc. eval will all really start tomorrow when the team goes to pads.
  • He mentioned Pryor entered camp in great shape physically, which was my biggest concern. Given that, I'm going led pipe lock for Pryor starting at LT (even before the pads go on).
  • Despite Campbell's obvious great showing thus far, Ballard tried to temper his excitement, which is very fair. I think most of us are waiting for the shoe to drop lol. 
  • Said Pierce was doing well, but still had a way to go, specifically mentioned transitioning against the upped level of NFL physical play. 
  • Said what keeps him up is depth. Not just the 53 man roster, but 69 (53+PS) and constantly looking to improve (transactions throughout the season). He's said similar before, but love him staying firm to the strategy. Our PS has improved year over year IMO. 
  • Doyle was not underappreciated by Indy coaches. Could do it all. Will be missed. Mo is the closest to that now. 

I have trouble believing that we drafted a LT in the 3rd round who is good enough to start right away in a contending type of team, so if Pryor isn’t the guy, I think we will struggle mightily over there this year.

I don’t claim  to be very familiar with 3rd round LT draftees starting right away on contending teams, but there can’t have been too many.  Seems like that Austrian feller will be a bit of a project but hopefully solid going forward.  He appears to be worthy of a 3rd round pick.  It would be unusual for all 32 teams to be dead wrong about Raimann, because if we are a contender and good enough to start game one then all 32 teams including us got it wrong and he should have been taken 70 picks earlier.  

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I have trouble believing that we drafted a LT in the 3rd round who is good enough to start right away in a contending type of team, so if Pryor isn’t the guy, I think we will struggle mightily over there this year.

I don’t claim  to be very familiar with 3rd round LT draftees starting right away on contending teams, but there can’t have been too many.  Seems like that Austrian feller will be a bit of a project but hopefully solid going forward.  He appears to be worthy of a 3rd round pick.  It would be unusual for all 32 teams to be dead wrong about Raimann, because if we are a contender and good enough to start game one then all 32 teams including us got it wrong and he should have been taken 70 picks earlier.  

I agree. It’s always funny how people go so crazy over a player that hasn’t played one snap. Not to mention very little LT. Ballard did mention they will give him a few reps but who knows if that will be with the ones. Ballard does love Pryor.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Raimann isn't your typical 3rd round OT. He was actually projected a first rounder by many, including NFL.com. We totally lucked out that he dropped. 

The biggest bag on him (aside from MAC conference, which isn't really a bag), is that he's Austrian (didn't play FB as a kid, and moved from TE). That's what dropped him to the 3rd, not his film or measurables. His film and grades are very tight. 

My opinion, Pryor will do just fine (not a Pro Bowl guy, but much better than Fisher), and Raiman will develop nicely in a year-ish. I don't want him pressed into action early (if possible). If he beats out Pryor though, I'd say that says more about Raimann than Pryor. 

32 teams were wrong about Leonard. There's guys every year that teams overlook. Cosmi dropped last season and graded really well his rook season. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

There’s one other major reason that caused Bernard Raimann to fall as he did.  And I don’t think it’s been addressed yet.  

He’s already 24, and will actually turn 25 in Mid-September….   Week 3, I believe.   So while Cross might be one of the youngest rookies from the draft, Raimann might be the oldest.   And old scares teams away from using high draft picks.    We used that to our advantage. 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Raimann isn't your typical 3rd round OT. He was actually projected a first rounder by many, including NFL.com. We totally lucked out that he dropped. 

The biggest bag on him (aside from MAC conference, which isn't really a bag), is that he's Austrian (didn't play FB as a kid, and moved from TE). That's what dropped him to the 3rd, not his film or measurables. His film and grades are very tight. 

My opinion, Pryor will do just fine (not a Pro Bowl guy, but much better than Fisher), and Raiman will develop nicely in a year-ish. I don't want him pressed into action early (if possible). If he beats out Pryor though, I'd say that says more about Raimann than Pryor. 

32 teams were wrong about Leonard. There's guys every year that teams overlook. Cosmi dropped last season and graded really well his rook season. 

I like Raimann as a prospect, but it would be shocking If he was ready to go already.  

Wills and Lts have vastly different draft positions.  So you think Leonard should have been the first pick huh?  We passed him up at 6 lol.  You think it’s unusual for a will drafted just outside the first round to start? 

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I like Raimann as a prospect, but it would be shocking If he was ready to go already.  

Wills and Lts have vastly different draft positions.  So you think Leonard should have been the first pick huh?  We passed him up at 6 lol.  You think it’s unusual for a will drafted just outside the first round to start? 

I think there are great players that either aren't recognized or drop every year. 

We luckily made the correct call on Leonard.  It's rare a small school WILL starts as strong or fast as Leonard. I don't know any. 

LT in general, typically take a while, even 1st rounders. I'm just not putting a 3rd round stigma on Raimann lol. 

I'd add I think our first 3 picks will all take some time, but likely will be good year 2 or 3. 

I'd say our 4th pick (Cross) will likely get off to the fastest start), but that's just me guessing given the current depth at position. 

Kinda concerned by Ballard's comments on Pierce. Seems plenty physical from what I've seen and Pitt and Gilmore seem to like what they've seen from him so far. You'd think Ballard would give him some praise.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Kinda concerned by Ballard's comments on Pierce. Seems plenty physical from what I've seen and Pitt and Gilmore seem to like what they've seen from him so far. You'd think Ballard would give him some praise.

Yes and no. Chuck gave out too much praise. He is a really young man. He needs humble. Between Reggie and Chris, he'll get humbled. 

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Yes and no. Chuck gave out too much praise. He is a really young man. He needs humble. Between Reggie and Chris, he'll get humbled. 

I'm just saying we need Pierce this year to be an asset to the team right away. I'm not gonna fall under the trap of the Campbell camp hype. 

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Gotta agree with @Four2itus here. 

And I see zero to be concerned about. So far we've basically seen a no-pads, no-hitting, passing game practice. 

More or less it's time to work on footwork, learn routes, learn the playbook, develop chemistry, etc.. And he's done well at that. 

Anyone that watched Pierce last season (or at minimum watched some of his highlights) knows he was pretty limited to the outside, ran a lot of 9s. and wasn't asked to really block a lot. I see no reason why he can't develop into a quality blocker, as he's well built and he's not afraid of contact (good at contested catches). I also am confident that he'll learn the full route tree. But it's all new as he simply isn't coming in well rounded like some other WRs. And that's OK. The kid just needs some time. And he needs to stay humble. 

He looked very good vs Rodgers (tiny CB) without pads, but his reps against Gilmore (one of the best press/cover CBs) were a different story. IMO he'll get early PT, but simply not a centerpiece type guy. If we ran a lot of deep stuff like 9s, I'd like his chances more to big chunk yards early, but that hasn't been Reich's MO. 

Parris's status likely will impact him. If Parris stays healthy, they will likely bring Pierce along slower. If Parris goes down, then he'll get baptized by fire. But I think most would agree the best thing for the team is Parris staying healthy. The chemistry he has with Ryan is pretty obvious. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I agree. It’s always funny how people go so crazy over a player that hasn’t played one snap. Not to mention very little LT. Ballard did mention they will give him a few reps but who knows if that will be with the ones. Ballard does love Pryor.

Yep.  Never seen anyone around here do that.....carry on....nothing to see here....

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

So you think looking back, Leonard stays a second Rd pick huh?  

More likely top 10 in a redraft than staying put.

It's a neat game that works both ways.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think people are excited about the rookie because they feel the Colts got a steal in him.  Venturi was arguing for the Colts to take him before they traded back and ultimately took Pierce with their first pick.  So I think some fans feel like they got a really good talent to who feel to them.

With that said I stand by what I said a while ago.  I think the vet (Pryor) starts the season.  If he struggles they can always go to the rookie later in the season.  That kind of thing happens all the time in the NFL.  What you don’t see is the rookie getting pulled for a vet if the rookie struggles without it almost being a death sentence for the rookies career.  

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I'm just saying we need Pierce this year to be an asset to the team right away. I'm not gonna fall under the trap of the Campbell camp hype. 

That maybe why he’s down playing it a little.  Fans expectations for Pierce are really high and while it would be nice if he lived up to them right away that’s asking a lot for a rookie to do what some are hoping.  It’s not uncommon to have an adjust period where rookies struggle while they figure things out.  So Ballard might be pumping the breaks a little on expectations because he expects that.

It could also simply be that Ballard himself has said you don’t know much until you see them in pads which they have yet to do.  So he may just simply feel like he hasn’t really “seen” the kid yet to have an opinion beyond they like him or they wouldn’t have drafted him.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

It’s still rare for 1st year WR to produce.  There have been several examples the last 3 or 4 seasons but it’s still rare.  Pittman wasn’t a big producer his rookie season.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are great players that either aren't recognized or drop every year. 

We luckily made the correct call on Leonard.  It's rare a small school WILL starts as strong or fast as Leonard. I don't know any. 

LT in general, typically take a while, even 1st rounders. I'm just not putting a 3rd round stigma on Raimann lol. 

I'd add I think our first 3 picks will all take some time, but likely will be good year 2 or 3. 

I'd say our 4th pick (Cross) will likely get off to the fastest start), but that's just me guessing given the current depth at position. 

But 36 is a very high draft pick for a will.  You expect that dude to start tight away I would think if you draft him that high. It wasn’t that he was projected higher he as projected lower.  That’s what CB was criticized for, taking a reach for the small school guy.  that was what was great about the pick.  It would be very unusual to draft a will say in the top 5.  

77 is not a high pick on a LT.  You would not usually draft an LT there and expect him to start right away-or even ever.  Interior linemen, RT sure.  

I like the pick , but if he’s a starter in September we got it wrong.  We should have used our 1st pick on him.  That’s all I’m saying.  It would be a bit shocking that he was ready right away.  Especially considering his background of playing only 2 seasons in the what is that MAC I think at CM.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I agree we need it but it’s just very unlikely to happen given Pierces experience in a primitive offense.

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It’s still rare for 1st year WR to produce.  There have been several examples the last 3 or 4 seasons but it’s still rare.  Pittman wasn’t a big producer his rookie season.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. These rookies look good on their highlight reels and in camp drills but once the 1s start hitting it all changes. 

Colts have shown they will start rookies if they can play.  If they are riding the pine I trust it’s for good reason and they aren’t ready. 

5 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I was looking at that.  I’d say 10 to 15 off the top of my head. The QBs drafted high ended,up not great so,in a redraft you’d throw them out.  

You’d have to look at productive QBs, LTs, EDge, WR, and DTs that would be taken before Leonard.  

5 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Looking back at that draft hes definitely top 10 but that draft is likely an outlier.  Lots of misses at QB, Edge, not too many pass catcher.

the point of my post is it would be very unusual for a 3rd round LT to be ready to start right away.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think people are excited about the rookie because they feel the Colts got a steal in him.  Venturi was arguing for the Colts to take him before they traded back and ultimately took Pierce with their first pick.  So I think some fans feel like they got a really good talent to who feel to them.

With that said I stand by what I said a while ago.  I think the vet (Pryor) starts the season.  If he struggles they can always go to the rookie later in the season.  That kind of thing happens all the time in the NFL.  What you don’t see is the rookie getting pulled for a vet if the rookie struggles without it almost being a death sentence for the rookies career.  

Except we don’t know if he is a steal. He hasn’t played in the NFL yet and didn’t play that much LT before that. All I am saying is let’s hold our horses.

50 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Except we don’t know if he is a steal. He hasn’t played in the NFL yet and didn’t play that much LT before that. All I am saying is let’s hold our horses.

That’s why I said people think.  That doesn’t mean they know.  Frankly it’s what they want to happen.  Time will tell if it does.  Like I said I am in the Pryor is going to start camp and unless he’s just Tevi bad or this kid is just an amazing steal I don’t see that changing.

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

The thing that gives me big hopes is all the reports about his work ethic and about how coachable he is. Think about it - he grew up without football, he picked it up late. He was a WR and TE until 2020. Then during COVID, with extremely limited practice and coaching over the following 6 months he switched to LT and not only did he do it successfully, He excelled to a point where many considered him a potential 1st round talent. If he translates anything of his ability to learn new techniques and requirements over to the NFL, IMO we can expect a relatively quick development curve. Just, everything we've heard about him points to it. 

Furthermore, when I watched his tape I expected him to look much more raw than he actually is. Now sure, there are things he needs to work on, especially when getting depth on vertical pass-sets, but after I finished with the games that were available of him, I actually thought he's much more ready than I initially anticipated. 

IMO Raimann getting the starting spot early bodes well both for the position and for Raimann long-term. Of course, you want him to actually win it against a vet who is playable but also beatable and that's what Pryor is. I don't expect it to happen, but I have hopes that it will happen by the end of this season. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Gotta agree with @Four2itus here. 

And I see zero to be concerned about. So far we've basically seen a no-pads, no-hitting, passing game practice. 

More or less it's time to work on footwork, learn routes, learn the playbook, develop chemistry, etc.. And he's done well at that. 

Anyone that watched Pierce last season (or at minimum watched some of his highlights) knows he was pretty limited to the outside, ran a lot of 9s. and wasn't asked to really block a lot. I see no reason why he can't develop into a quality blocker, as he's well built and he's not afraid of contact (good at contested catches). I also am confident that he'll learn the full route tree. But it's all new as he simply isn't coming in well rounded like some other WRs. And that's OK. The kid just needs some time. And he needs to stay humble. 

He looked very good vs Rodgers (tiny CB) without pads, but his reps against Gilmore (one of the best press/cover CBs) were a different story. IMO he'll get early PT, but simply not a centerpiece type guy. If we ran a lot of deep stuff like 9s, I'd like his chances more to big chunk yards early, but that hasn't been Reich's MO. 

Parris's status likely will impact him. If Parris stays healthy, they will likely bring Pierce along slower. If Parris goes down, then he'll get baptized by fire. But I think most would agree the best thing for the team is Parris staying healthy. The chemistry he has with Ryan is pretty obvious. 

His route tree might need some work, but in the meantime... we should definitely use him on go routes... A TON. His explosiveness and quick separation is a thing of beauty ... He has that same thing that DK Metcalf had coming out of college - if you don't put your hands on him at the LOS, he will very likely just blast past you... and if you try to put your arms on him, he actually has some nifty swipe moves that can leave the defender in even more of a compromised position. Metcalf was limited as a rookie too, but the Seahawks identified the thing he actually is great at even at NFL level and they used him like this and slowly introduced other things in his game. I think we can do something similar with Pierce and I hope we do. 

9 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Hindsight is wonderful. Looking back at the 2020 draft, Taylor would've went 3rd only behind Burrow and Herbert. Those 2 QB's are franchise QB's though. Some in here were comparing Taylor to Trent Richardson during his first 6 or 7 games and were ready to give up on him. I always said he would be good, and have patience. Taylor has made a lot of skeptics look really bad, just like Matt Ryan is about to prove he is the best QB in our division The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Ballard is always honest without being too open kimono.   

I think the only thing he said that I wasn’t expecting was when he mentioned Jacobson, the TE.  Another BBaller making the transition.  Most likely a PS guy this year.  

We may have the least experience at TE of any team in the league, but I think there’s a lot of potential there.  (Of course every team feels the same way in August)

3 hours ago, stitches said:

The thing that gives me big hopes is all the reports about his work ethic and about how coachable he is. Think about it - he grew up without football, he picked it up late. He was a WR and TE until 2020. Then during COVID, with extremely limited practice and coaching over the following 6 months he switched to LT and not only did he do it successfully, He excelled to a point where many considered him a potential 1st round talent. If he translates anything of his ability to learn new techniques and requirements over to the NFL, IMO we can expect a relatively quick development curve. Just, everything we've heard about him points to it. 

Furthermore, when I watched his tape I expected him to look much more raw than he actually is. Now sure, there are things he needs to work on, especially when getting depth on vertical pass-sets, but after I finished with the games that were available of him, I actually thought he's much more ready than I initially anticipated. 

IMO Raimann getting the starting spot early bodes well both for the position and for Raimann long-term. Of course, you want him to actually win it against a vet who is playable but also beatable and that's what Pryor is. I don't expect it to happen, but I have hopes that it will happen by the end of this season. 

I can't say that it definitely won't happen but it would be shocking if it did to me barring injury. 

I think if Raimann is playing by the end of the season, then either Pryor is hurt, or the team is in trouble.  We would be getting inadequate LT play.  You wouldn't start Raimann mostly likely unless the team was struggling or Pryor was so bad, your hand was forced.  Pryor is who they are counting on to play that extremely important position it appears.

28 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I can't say that it definitely won't happen but it would be shocking if it did to me barring injury. 

I think if Raimann is playing by the end of the season, then either Pryor is hurt, or the team is in trouble.  We would be getting inadequate LT play.  You wouldn't start Raimann mostly likely unless the team was struggling or Pryor was so bad, your hand was forced.  Pryor is who they are counting on to play that extremely important position it appears.

That's the thing... I kind of expect Pryor to not hold up well over longer period of time at LT. :dunno:

4 hours ago, stitches said:

That's the thing... I kind of expect Pryor to not hold up well over longer period of time at LT. :dunno:

If he doesn’t Rainmann will be the starter sooner then later. I get a different vibe from Pryor. Pryor is going to be pretty good. He has put a lot of work preparing for this. He mentioned how it’s nice to just concentrate on one position.

13 hours ago, Nickster said:

But 36 is a very high draft pick for a will.  You expect that dude to start tight away I would think if you draft him that high. It wasn’t that he was projected higher he as projected lower.  That’s what CB was criticized for, taking a reach for the small school guy.  that was what was great about the pick.  It would be very unusual to draft a will say in the top 5.  

77 is not a high pick on a LT.  You would not usually draft an LT there and expect him to start right away-or even ever.  Interior linemen, RT sure.  

I like the pick , but if he’s a starter in September we got it wrong.  We should have used our 1st pick on him.  That’s all I’m saying.  It would be a bit shocking that he was ready right away.  Especially considering his background of playing only 2 seasons in the what is that MAC I think at CM.

Leonard was projected 2-4 rounds. We made him an early 2nd. That early, yes I'd expect him to start early. 

No, 77 is not a high pick for LT. But again, he was projected as a 1R by most, not a 77th. 

9 hours ago, stitches said:

His route tree might need some work, but in the meantime... we should definitely use him on go routes... A TON. His explosiveness and quick separation is a thing of beauty ... He has that same thing that DK Metcalf had coming out of college - if you don't put your hands on him at the LOS, he will very likely just blast past you... and if you try to put your arms on him, he actually has some nifty swipe moves that can leave the defender in even more of a compromised position. Metcalf was limited as a rookie too, but the Seahawks identified the thing he actually is great at even at NFL level and they used him like this and slowly introduced other things in his game. I think we can do something similar with Pierce and I hope we do. 

He's not close to DK. DK has freak speed and freak every measurable. Pierce has good measurables for his size, but not remotely close to DK.

Pierce looked good vs a tiny DB (Rodgers) in a no pads / no tackle drill. Gilmore however PD'd him. 

But I agree, we should use him on 9s frequently if we have the right outside matchup. Get him on the field to do the things he's good at instead of waiting till he's polished all over. We haven't done that though under Reich. Carol is historically more aggressive. Frankly I wouldn't wait for him to be a great blocker or develop a full tree. We already know he's great deep outside. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Is a presumption of failure = to a LOSER mentality?

Colts fans want to know.  :td::colts::applause:

I ain’t playing bro. And I ain’t the father of any of those kids.

You high on Pryor?  Hope you’re right about it 

Archived