Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard pre draft press conference at noon

55 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think there's a 10-15% chance we go Ridder or Howell if one of them falls. This seems more and more likely as we get closer to the draft. I'm starting to accept it as a possibility now.

Give me Ridder.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

what was the joke?  i stepped out for a second and Ballard was laughing hysterically. 

Wells said something, I couldn't hear it. I wonder if anyone got it...

Edit: Also, sounds like Mike Wells is coming off the Colts beat, which is a good thing. Hopefully ESPN gets someone good to replace him.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Probably a waste of time. I think Ballard is pretty transparent, in hindsight. But especially as it relates to the draft, there's no telling what's going to happen. 

I think we knew he was trading back in 2019, that was signaled pretty early. But last year, for instance, I think they would have drafted Darrisaw, but Paye was still on the board, so they took him. No predicting that.

This year, they could do something out of the ordinary and move up to the end of the first, and that probably won't be a for an interior DL or a corner. The draft is too deep at WR to justify a move up, IMO. Would it be a QB? Just because everyone has latched on to Irsay's January comment -- despite him clarifying it later, and despite the fact that Ballard clearly didn't swing for the fences in free agency -- doesn't mean that the Colts are only interested in making moves that will pay off in Week 1 2022. 

Or they could just sit at #42 and take their highest ranked guy, then high five each other afterward. Which is probably the odds-on favorite outcome right now. And if that's a WR, or a S, or a guard, or a DT, I don't think they care. And I don't think anyone can reasonably predict what happens at that point.

I think he's very predictable. He follows the flow of the draft and sticks to his board. The way the draft will flow? Now THAT is unpredictable.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

I think he's very predictable. He follows the flow of the draft and sticks to his board. The way the draft will flow? Now THAT is unpredictable.

Yup, kinda what I was trying to say.

Last year, everyone expected them to draft a T, which they very well might have, if not for Paye being available. Then they signed Fisher after the draft, which was kind of expected if they didn't get a guy in the draft. But Paye being available kind of came out of nowhere.

I taught Ballard’s tone changed a good bit there towards the end when questioned about adding another Y. Seems like replacing Jack Doyle is a big priority for him, though he stressed finding a good blocking tight end that can be a player in the passing game is difficult. I wonder would he be thinking about a player like Ruckert or Otton, not making it to his 3rd round pick, or someone similar.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

what was the joke?  i stepped out for a second and Ballard was laughing hysterically. 

I think the joke was Mike Wells getting off a good zinger at Chris Ballard.  

Ballard was having fun with the media and was wondering who is showing up Thursday since the Colts don’t have first round pick.   He made a comment about dinner is being brought in for everyone.  

And Ballard was teasing the possibility of trading up back into the first..    and I think it was then that Wells said something like (my guess)  “you’ll trade up into the first when I see pigs fly!”    Something like that, only funnier.   Ballard appreciated it.   

Glad Wells appears to be leaving.  I think he’s not comfortable on this beat.   I thought his column in March when we traded for Matt Ryan was borderline unprofessional.   Speaking of the trade he wrote that he didn’t think that move felt like the type of move to make when Jim Irsay called for going all in.   WTH?!?   The NFL world was stunned at the move we made and Wells was strongly downplaying it.   It felt….   Almost personal.   He can cover the Pacers and something else. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the joke was Mike Wells getting off a good zinger at Chris Ballard.  

Ballard was having fun with the media and was wondering who is showing up Thursday since the Colts don’t have first round pick.   He made a comment about dinner is being brought in for everyone.  

And Ballard was teasing the possibility of trading up back into the first..    and I think it was then that Wells said something like (my guess)  “you’ll trade up into the first when I see pigs fly!”    Something like that, only funnier.   Ballard appreciated it.   

Glad Wells appears to be leaving.  I think he’s not comfortable on this beat.   I thought his column in March when we traded for Matt Ryan was borderline unprofessional.   Speaking of the trade he wrote that he didn’t think that move felt like the type of move to make when Jim Irsay called for going all in.   WTH?!?   The NFL world was stunned at the move we made and Wells was strongly downplaying it.   It felt….   Almost personal.   He can cover the Pacers and something else. 

I just replayed it and they cut it out like Ballard requested.  Bummer.  it was a fun side of Ballard to see.  

I'm not a big fan of wells either.  I have a subscription but rarely read his articles

11 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I taught Ballard’s tone changed a good bit there towards the end when questioned about adding another Y. Seems like replacing Jack Doyle is a big priority for him, though he stressed finding a good blocking tight end that can be a player in the passing game is difficult. I wonder would he be thinking about a player like Ruckert or Otton, not making it to his 3rd round pick, or someone similar.

Just take Jelani Woods and call it a day

27 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Jake Ferguson. He's literally Jack Doyle

24 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I just replayed it and they cut it out like Ballard requested.  Bummer.  it was a fun side of Ballard to see.  

I'm not a big fan of wells either.  I have a subscription but rarely read his articles

Literally?    They cut that part out?   Seriously?     I thought for sure he was kidding.    Maybe not?    I didn’t think it deserved to be cut….   Go figure? 

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just take Jelani Woods and call it a day

I think Woods is an interesting guy.   He has all the measurable traits that Ballard drools over.   

Yet if you read his profile done by Lance Zierlein, he says Woods is not a good blocker and does not have natural hands to be a good receiver.    Surprised me.   It’ll be interesting to see where he goes. 

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ballard's take on WRs makes no sense to me. DCs are so good they take away WRs? Do teams take away Davante? Justin Jefferson? Cooper Kupp? Ja'marr Chase? Deebo? 

I'm tired of hearing about Deebo. Give me more than 8 games, then we can talk.

As for the rest, no one takes away elite players at any position. I think the point was that people over value WR in the market, and I definitely agree with that.

For a long time, people have been falling in love with the height/weight/speed receivers in the draft, and then they never come back and acknowledge that 75% of those guys they were hyping up in March never do anything in the NFL.  Seriously, well over 50% of first round WRs are busts, while far more Day 2 and 3 guys succeed. And now, WR salaries have exploded, and I'm fairly confident that 90% of the guys who just got paid will not live up to their new contracts by any reasonable metric. (Christian Kirk is the foremost example.)

Meanwhile, there are good WR prospects throughout the draft. The position has become incredibly deep over the last few years, and ironically, you can get a guy like Cooper Kupp in a middle round (3rd), and he can produce right away if you have a good offensive foundation. Davante Adams was a 2nd round pick. Deebo (ugh) was a 2nd round pick. Justin Jefferson was a late first. Tyreek was a 5th, Diggs was a 5th, Renfrow was a 5th, etc... 

So yes, there's plenty of evidence that WRs are overvalued, early in the draft, and now in free agency. 

Where I disagree with Ballard, I think, is on his appraisal of our current WR corps. But that could be lip service. He always talked up Pascal, but they let him walk. So maybe he's just playing the game right now, but they want to add someone in the draft. That's been my expectation ever since they didn't sign a guy early in free agency (and I don't blame them, given how crazy the market was this year). 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Woods is an interesting guy.   He has all the measurable traits the Ballard drools over.   

Yet if you read his profile done by Lance Zierlein, he says Woods is not a good blocker and does not have natural hands to be a good receiver.    Surprised me.   It’ll be interesting to see where he goes. 

Remember what Ballard said a few years ago? "LDK" = Lance Don't Know.

I disagree with the idea that Woods isn't a good blocker, and doesn't have good enough hands. He certainly has some work to do, but his hands are fine, and his physicality is more than sufficient for him to block in the NFL. He won't be great right away, but his tools and upside are very exciting to me. And after his combine performance, I think he's probably a round 3 guy at worst.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm tired of hearing about Deebo. Give me more than 8 games, then we can talk.

As for the rest, no one takes away elite players at any position. I think the point was that people over value WR in the market, and I definitely agree with that.

For a long time, people have been falling in love with the height/weight/speed receivers in the draft, and then they never come back and acknowledge that 75% of those guys they were hyping up in March never do anything in the NFL.  Seriously, well over 50% of first round WRs are busts, while far more Day 2 and 3 guys succeed. And now, WR salaries have exploded, and I'm fairly confident that 90% of the guys who just got paid will not live up to their new contracts by any reasonable metric. (Christian Kirk is the foremost example.)

Meanwhile, there are good WR prospects throughout the draft. The position has become incredibly deep over the last few years, and ironically, you can get a guy like Cooper Kupp in a middle round (3rd), and he can produce right away if you have a good offensive foundation. Davante Adams was a 2nd round pick. Deebo (ugh) was a 2nd round pick. Justin Jefferson was a late first. Tyreek was a 5th, Diggs was a 5th, Renfrow was a 5th, etc... 

So yes, there's plenty of evidence that WRs are overvalued, early in the draft, and now in free agency. 

Where I disagree with Ballard, I think, is on his appraisal of our current WR corps. But that could be lip service. He always talked up Pascal, but they let him walk. So maybe he's just playing the game right now, but they want to add someone in the draft. That's been my expectation ever since they didn't sign a guy early in free agency (and I don't blame them, given how crazy the market was this year). 

I'm not saying you can't find talent at WR, but the way Ballard imo just disrespects the position is mind-bobbling. The Bengals wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs let away the Super bowl without Ja'marr Chase.

Just now, Superman said:

I disagree with the idea that Woods isn't a good blocker, and doesn't have good enough hands. He certainly has some work to do, but his hands are fine, and his physicality is more than sufficient for him to block in the NFL. He won't be great right away, but his tools and upside are very exciting to me. And after his combine performance, I think he's probably a round 3 guy at worst.

Thanks.   I never heard LDK before.   I typically like Zierlein,  but he’s had the strangest draft season I can remember.  

Among a number of things,  he doesn’t appear down on this QB class,  but the shocker to me was that’s he’s very down on this receiver class.   I think he ranked it 8th overall of all the position groups this year.   He freely admits he’s a big outlier from the rest of the analysts who are high on this WR class.   Strange. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I'm not saying you can't find talent at WRs, but the way Ballard imo just disrespects the position is mind-bobbling. The Bengals wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs let away the Super bowl without Ja'marr Chase.

So what? The point remains that you do not have to spend huge resources on WR to get good WRs. For example, as good as Chase was, Kupp was better, and he was a 3rd rounder.

Also, it's an exaggeration to say Ballard disrespects the position. They've drafted two WRs in the second round in three seasons. That he's not salivating over draft prospects who will probably not live up to the pre-draft hype, and that he's not tripping over himself to pay slightly above average free agent WRs elite level money, doesn't mean he doesn't respect the position.

I also predict that we'll draft a WR on Day 2 this year. Just my expectation, based on the fact that we obviously need to address the position, and have not done so in free agency.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Woods is an interesting guy.   He has all the measurable traits that Ballard drools over.   

The film shows him to be a very willing blocker who needs technique work. Hes got plenty of strength and what not. I dont think hes a mess or a big project with his blocking.

Just now, Superman said:

So what? The point remains that you do not have to spend huge resources on WR to get good WRs. For example, as good as Chase was, Kupp was better, and he was a 3rd rounder.

Also, it's an exaggeration to say Ballard disrespects the position. They've drafted two WRs in the second round in three seasons. That he's not salivating over draft prospects who will probably not live up to the pre-draft hype, and that he's not tripping over himself to pay slightly above average free agent WRs elite level money, doesn't mean he doesn't respect the position.

I also predict that we'll draft a WR on Day 2 this year. Just my expectation, based on the fact that we obviously need to address the position, and have not done so in free agency.

Again I'm not saying you can't find talent, but this is exactly like last year where everyone is saying we need a LT and it didn't get resolved and you can argue LT was one of the biggest problems that led to our demise. Ballard is ignoring a clear need and acting like it doesn't matter. Now can that change by next week? Sure, but I don't want a repeat of what happened last year when we ignored a problem.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Wasnt he mainly a blocking TE at Oklahoma State?  If we wait I’d like to see them take Ruckert.  The only thing that held him back was there weren’t enough balls for everyone at OSU.  

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Again I'm not saying you can't find talent, but this is exactly like last year where everyone is saying we need a LT and it didn't get resolved and you can argue LT was one of the biggest problems that led to our demise. Ballard is ignoring a clear need and acting like it doesn't matter. Now can that change by next week? Sure, but I don't want a repeat of what happened last year when we ignored a problem.

How did Ballard ignore LT? They signed a guy they thought would help, and he didn't have a great season. They also signed two backups to compete at the position. 

Or does "ignoring/disrespecting" a position basically equal not drafting that position in the first round, and not giving a top of market contract to the hottest free agent? Again, he's drafted two WRs in the second round in the last three seasons, and (I think) will probably draft another one this year, in R2 or R3.

Setting that aside, because it's NOT like what he did at LT, the recent history of the league strongly suggests that WR is overvalued, specifically in the market. 

Acknowledging and stating that fact is not ignoring the position and acting like the it doesn't matter, nor does it mean that he doesn't understand the position is a need on the current roster.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We didn’t ignore the problem.   We signed Fisher.   Our solution did work out as we had hoped.   That’s different than ignoring a problem. 

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Wasnt he mainly a blocking TE at Oklahoma State?  If we wait I’d like to see them take Ruckert.  The only thing that held him back was there weren’t enough balls for everyone at OSU.  

IDK, he changed positions and barely played at Oklahoma State. 

I’m sure people won’t like this but I will if he is still there Ojabo DE from Mich.  Ballard has demostrated he’ll draft a person injured.  Hooker, Dayo, Blackmon all highly rated but dropped due to injury.  Still rated late first early second.  Don’t expect him to lose draft capital to move up.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We didn’t ignore the problem.   We signed Fisher.   Our solution did work out as we had hoped.   That’s different than ignoring a problem. 

So the solution to a clear problem is signing a guy after the draft coming off an Achilles injury

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

How did Ballard ignore LT? They signed a guy they thought would help, and he didn't have a great season. They also signed two backups to compete at the position. 

Or does "ignoring/disrespecting" a position basically equal not drafting that position in the first round, and not giving a top of market contract to the hottest free agent? Again, he's drafted two WRs in the second round in the last three seasons, and (I think) will probably draft another one this year, in R2 or R3.

Setting that aside, because it's NOT like what he did at LT, the recent history of the league strongly suggests that WR is overvalued, specifically in the market. 

Acknowledging and stating that fact is not ignoring the position and acting like the it doesn't matter, nor does it mean that he doesn't understand the position is a need on the current roster.

How does signing a player coming off an Achilles injury and two scrubs who clearly couldn't play solving a problem?

Just now, CR91 said:

Did you watch the presser? Ballard all, but said WRs are not a priority

I did. I saw that he said that overall, the position is overvalued. He also said that he likes what is already in the building. I guess we just choose to hear different things. All good. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

IDK, he changed positions and barely played at Oklahoma State. 

I had to go back and read about him.  Top 25 QB coming out of high school.  Gundy used him mainly as a blocker for three years.  Transfers to Virginia, and they use him all over the field, slot, split, in-line, etc.  

Very good prospect.

Just now, Four2itus said:

I did. I saw that he said that overall, the position is overvalued. He also said that he likes what is already in the building. I guess we just choose to hear different things. All good. 

In the building? You have one good WR. One can't stay healthy. Three day three/undrafted. You're fine with that?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

So the solution to a clear problem is signing a guy after the draft coming off an Achilles injury

The guy started I think 15 games.   His run blocking was very good.   Remember Johnathan Taylor?    Hus pass blocking was worse than expected.   With just injury it was always expected to be the last part of his game to come around.   It didn’t.   

But we still tried to re-sign him.   Because odds are Fisher will be better this year.  That’s the way things can go with injuries.  

But...  We.  Did.  NOT.  Ignore.  The.  Problem. 

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How does signing a player coming off an Achilles injury and two scrubs who clearly couldn't play solving a problem?

Just acknowledge that you not liking the strategy is not the same as "ignoring the problem." (Edit: By the way, I didn't like the strategy either.)

Or don't, and keep misrepresenting the situation to suit your own narrative. Your choice.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The guy started I think 15 games.   His run blocking was very good.   Remember Johnathan Taylor?    Hus pass blocking was worse than expected.   With just injury it was always expected to be the last part of his game to come around.   It didn’t.   

But we still tried to re-sign him.   Because odds are Fisher will be better this year.  That’s the way things can go with injuries.  

But...  We.  Did.  NOT.  Ignore.  The.  Problem. 

It's not exactly like teams are chopping at the bits to sign Fisher. Ballard brought in four players to play LT last year and only one remains. What does that tell you?

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No he didn’t.  

That’s what you heard in your never ending Panic Mode!  

You want actually words? Fine. He said their overdrafted and overvalued. What does that tell you

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Thats what we have TODAY!   We will have more by May.    

Dear God!     :facepalm:

:HFire:     :HFire:  :HFire:

And I said things can change next week. I am reacting mostly to Ballard's comments on the position.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

See Superman’s post.   He explained it simply and clearly. 

Again I am not saying you can't find WRs. I am commenting on Ballard's stance on the position.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's not exactly like teams are chopping at the bits to sign Fisher. Ballard brought in four players to play LT last year and only one remains. What does that tell you?

It tells me it didn’t work out LAST YEAR! 

It’s now 2022!   Feel free to join the rest of us!

Archived