Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard pre draft press conference at noon

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Did you watch the presser? Ballard all, but said WRs are not a priority

Him not agreeing with fans on what’s a need isn’t ignoring something.  

Ballard has been pretty clear he likes their group and seems to feel the biggest issue with the WRs a year ago was the guy getting them the ball and he addressed that.  

time will tell if he’s right or not. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

It tells me it didn’t work out LAST YEAR! 

It’s now 2022!   Feel free to join the rest of us!

Ok. What's our biggest need this year? I think a lot of people would say LT

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Ok. What's our biggest need this year? I think a lot of people would say LT

I think it’s WR.  But reasonable people can disagree.   You don’t have faith in Pryor.   Maybe we find one at pick 42?   Maybe?

Or maybe we sign Duane Brown in May when the comp formula is no longer an issue?  

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just acknowledge that you not liking the strategy is not the same as "ignoring the problem." (Edit: By the way, I didn't like the strategy either.)

Or don't, and keep misrepresenting the situation to suit your own narrative. Your choice.

Ok fine. I didn't like the strategy, but that doesn't mean it wasn't ignored. They signed Tevi and Davenport at the beginning part of trying to fix LT. Did that fix the narrative of LT still being a need? They signed Fisher. LT them went from a concern to cautious optimism. And now a year later and we're right back where we started.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it’s WR.  But reasonable people can disagree.   You don’t have faith in Pryor.   Maybe we find one at pick 42?   Maybe?

Or maybe we sign Duane Brown in May when the comp formula is no longer an issue?  

Pryor has zero starts at LT so yes I am concerned and I actually lobbied to sign Duane Brown.

Just now, CR91 said:

Ok fine. I didn't like the strategy, but that doesn't mean it wasn't ignored. They signed Tevi and Davenport as the beginning part of trying to fix LT. Did that fix the narrative of LT still being a need? They signed Fisher. LT them went from a concern to cautious optimism. And now a year later and we're right back where we started.

You do realize signing three guys proves they didn’t ignore it right?  It just proves what they did didn’t work.  Had they ignored it they would have done nothing.  Ignoring something and something not working aren’t the same thing.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You do realize signing three guys proves they didn’t ignore it right?  It just proves what they did didn’t work.  Had they ignored it they would have done nothing.  Ignoring something and something not working aren’t the same thing.  

Because it didn't fix anything. People weren't acting like yup LT is no longer a problem.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Literally?    They cut that part out?   Seriously?     I thought for sure he was kidding.    Maybe not?    I didn’t think it deserved to be cut….   Go figure? 

oh yes.  I was surprised as well.  I couldn't hear wells but bet you are right and if so that's pretty innocuous.  Maybe they will edit it back in but for now it is out.   Maybe one of the reporters will put it in an article.  

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Ok fine. I didn't like the strategy, but that doesn't mean it wasn't ignored. They signed Tevi and Davenport as the beginning part of trying to fix LT. Did that fix the narrative of LT still being a need? They signed Fisher. LT them went from a concern to cautious optimism. And now a year later and we're right back where we started.

Tevi and Davenport were signed to be short term solutions.   They would play until Fisher was able to.   Then they had to play even more because Smith got hurt too.   But they were both short term guys, they were never supposed to be the long term solution. 

Just now, CR91 said:

Pryor is zero starts at LT so yes I am concerned and I actually lobbied to sign Duane Brown.

That’s fine be concerned about it.  Ballard doesn’t seem to be so just because you are doesn’t mean he does. Ballard is putting a lot of faith in young guys he’s brought in to develop. Will it work?  We shall see.  However, us being concerned over what they are doing doesn’t mean they are ignoring things.  They just have a different strategy than we would like.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Tevi and Davenport were signed to be short term solutions.   They would play until Fisher was able to.   Then they had to play even more because Smith got hurt too.   But they were both short term guys, they were never supposed to be the long term solution. 

Ok, but that's my point. These signing weren't done to move the needle. The problem at LT still lingered

Yes Sir!!!  Nailed it 

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok fine. I didn't like the strategy, but that doesn't mean it wasn't ignored. They signed Tevi and Davenport at the beginning part of trying to fix LT. Did that fix the narrative of LT still being a need? They signed Fisher. LT them went from a concern to cautious optimism. And now a year later and we're right back where we started.

If they had signed Leno after the draft (which is what I hoped they would do), would you be talking about this right now? Same strategy, different player.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Okay?  Like I said it didn’t work.  My point was something not working isn’t the same thing as ignoring something.  

It was clear it wasn't going to work is my point and here we are a year later with the same problem.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If they had signed Leno after the draft (which is what I hoped they would do), would you be talking about this right now? Same strategy, different player.

Leno wasn't coming off a major injury. He was a cap casualty.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Ok, but that's my point. These signing weren't done to move the needle. The problem at LT still lingered

It lingered because Fisher didn’t work out.  Not all plans do.  It’s unfortunate. 

I hope we can sign Brown or even Fisher again.   I really like Pryor, but we’ve currently got nothing if Pryor isn’t the long-term guy.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Leno wasn't coming off a major injury. He was a cap casualty.

Totally irrelevant. Leno did not have the pedigree of Fisher, got a smaller contract, and played better. And the only thing that actually matters is that he played better.

Again, same strategy. They probably had their eye on tackle prospects in the draft, but it didn't happen, so they signed the veteran FA that they targeted.

It lingered because Fisher didn’t work out.  Not all plans do.  It’s unfortunate. 

I hope we can sign Brown or even Fisher again.   I really like Pryor, but we’ve currently got nothing if Pryor isn’t the long-term guy.

I don't know. Ballard seems to really like Pryor. I think it's draft or bust at this point.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It was clear it wasn't going to work is my point and here we are a year later with the same problem.

Maybe to you.  Look tevi and Davenport were never signed to be starters.  They were signed to be depth.  Ballard’s move to replace AC was Fisher.  Well he got one wrong.  It happens.  He also drafted a guard to be right tackle and signed a Seahawks cast off to be a starting right guard and both turned out pretty good.  He also signed Reed, drafted Pinter, and traded for Pryor all of who turned out pretty good.  Then there is that Nelson guy.  Ballard has proven he hits way more than he misses when it comes to the oline.  

Just now, Superman said:

Totally irrelevant. Leno did not have the pedigree of Fisher, got a smaller contract, and played better. And the only thing that actually matters is that he played better.

Again, same strategy. They probably had their eye on tackle prospects in the draft, but it didn't happen, so they signed the veteran FA that they targeted.

It's not the same. Hell I can argue people wanted Leno over Fisher because it was the safer move and could pay similar dividends.

Just now, CR91 said:

It's not the same. Hell I can argue people wanted Leno over Fisher because it was the safer move and could pay similar dividends.

It's the exact same, bruh. The only difference is they liked Fisher better than Leno. That's their mistake. Leno was still available when they signed Fisher, and they could have had him for less. The point is they signed the guy they wanted, to be the starter. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe to you.  Look tevi and Davenport were never signed to be starters.  They were signed to be depth.  Ballard’s move to replace AC was Fisher.  Well he got one wrong.  It happens.  He also drafted a guard to be right tackle and signed a Seahawks cast off to be a starting right guard and both turned out pretty good.  He also signed Reed, drafted Pinter, and trader for Pryor all of who turned out pretty good.  Then there is that Nelson guy.  Ballard has proven he hits way more than he misses when it comes to the oline.  

Ok. I'm not holding Ballard up because he signed Fisher. I'm saying he's taking the same approach at WR and it concerns me.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's the exact same, bruh. The only difference is they liked Fisher better than Leno. That's their mistake. Leno was still available when they signed Fisher, and they could have had him for less. The point is they signed the guy they wanted, to be the starter. 

You're trying to compare a player coming off a major injury to one that was only available because the bears needed cap space and they drafted a T. It's not the same situation.

20 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're trying to compare a player coming off a major injury to one that was only available because the bears needed cap space and they drafted a T. It's not the same situation.

I'm not comparing the players at all.

brick-wall-picture-id497944862?k=20&m=49

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok. I'm not holding Ballard up because he signed Fisher. I'm saying he's taking the same approach at WR and it concerns me.

That’s fine be concerned.  I can understand why.  I had no issue with you being concerned.  I just took issue with saying they are ignoring things because I don’t think that’s the case.  I just think they are using a strategy many aren’t comfortable with which isn’t the same thing as ignoring something is all.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I know Ballard was laughing about taking two defensive guys, but he normally tells the truth. What if that was his way of saying he is going to take two defensive guys early, and he's just making light of it because he already realizes the reaction the fans and media will have to it?

I think this is possible, and I'm kind of expecting it now lol.

I think he was referring to last year taking Kwity and Dayo. 

True.  However, at this point the comp formula shouldn't matter.  After signing Gilmore the Colts aren't getting one.  They were projected to get a 6th up until the Gilmore signing.

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

IMO.   Needs are LT S TE and WR. in that order.  

I've seen some on social media make fun of Ballard for signing two safeties with our starters coming back. I don't see that as being a big need at this point, and I think tight end could be way down the line.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

In the building? You have one good WR. One can't stay healthy. Three day three/undrafted. You're fine with that?

Im personally fine with it and I think people are complaining about nothing really.

With less than stellar WRs, minus Pascal and Hilton who didnt really give them much, the Colts scored plenty of points last year. With Carson Wentz. We were very productive against some top defenses last year. 

They bring in Ryan who I think is a big upgrade, mainly due to his superior accuracy and IQ, and I think the offense is already better than it was. Then you factor in potential growth in young players and I think there is a chance the offense is very, very good.

The cupboard is far from bare. We did have the most dangerous offensive player in football last year, lets not downplay that. We didnt have trouble scoring we just werent consistent enough, which I think the organization felt like was caused by the up and down play of Wentz moreso than a lack of talent. 

I think its all but a guarantee Ballard drafts atleast 1 weapon on Day 2 this year, possibly 2. I think that depends on who is available.

I think if a QB they like is there in the 2nd they probably take him and bring back Hilton for another year. Then maybe target a TE in round 3. 

Ummm..nope..Ballard said Tevi was our LT going forward..then weeks later signed Fisher to a contract.

Archived