Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Game Expectations

Moncrief

Position by Position break down

Jay Cutler vs. Andrew Luck

I say this one is even. Although Cutler obviously has superiority in terms of experience, I would say Luck has more raw talent. Jay has a strong arm, however his decision making and accuracy has been a question throughout his career. I believe that combined with the Bears lack of an O-line and the impossible task of avoiding Freeney and Mathis, Cutler will kiss the ground many times throughout the game which should mess up his rhythm. Luck will do fine in his first outing, but not spectacular. He should be able to manage the game appropriatly in order to come out with the W.

Donald Brown vs. Matt Forte

There's just not enough complements you can give to Forte. He accounted for 75% of the Bears offense when he wasn't injured last year, and really was a large part of Jay Cutler's success. In fact, Forte's impressive career actually began against the Colts in 2008, when broke free for a 50-yard run to put the game out of reach. Coach Pagano will have a real test Week 1 to show the league he means business. If he can somehow devise a game plan which will limit Forte to at most 80 yards rushing, he will renew confidence in the defense and the organization. On the Colts side there's Donald Brown, who looks like he's about to have a make or break year. If Brown can such for 90+ yards with an improved line he should be on track for hopefully a 1,000 yard season. If not, all the more reason for him to be considered a bust. I give the upper hand to Forte.

Brandon Marshall & Earl Bennett vs Reggie Wayne & Austin Collie

Reggie Wayne is on the down end of his career but still has some gas left. He may not have the game-changing speed he used to have but he still has those reliable hands and stellar route running. Collie has tons of upside and potential, and I see him being a possession wide-out and go-to-guy for Andrew Luck. He should have a good game. If the Colts get a wide-out in the draft, such as Alshon Jeffery or Muhammad Sanu, it would help them a great deal. Brandon Marshall is now reunited with Cutler, and I see him being the savior to Chicago's receiver woes, as the Roy Williams experiment didn't work out last year. I believe Earl Bennet will be the game changer though, as the Colts don't have a reliable #2 corner currently on the roster. This could change if they get Janoris Jenkins in the 2nd round of the draft. I still give the Colts though, mainly due to more experience and skill.

Brian Urlacher & Lance Briggs vs Pat Angerer and Kavell Connor

Good news for Bears: Lance Briggs was recently resigned. Bad news: Brian Urlacher is reaching his down side. Pat Angerer was one of the top tacklers last year and Connor proved he can be a reliable starter. Both have tons of upside. But they have absolutely no depth behind them and the Bears have far more experience. Therefore i give the advantage to the Bears also because of what there playing against. Urlacher & Co. have to deal with Donald Brown and Delone Carter, while Angerer & Co. have Forte and Michael Bush. Nuff said.

Your thoughts?

As far as QB, I personally have to give the edge to Culter, but primarily due to the 'Marshall Plan'. But after training camp and preseason (after seeing what Luck looks like with Wayne, Collie, and Donnie Avery), you may persuade me...

As for RB, Forte is a BEAST. He can run, catch and block (better than most of the Bears' OL, probably). The fact that Forte hasn't received a long term contract as of yet is pure embarrassing, or par for the course with Jerry Angelo (is he still there??? :loco: ). Brown is ok. Carter is the better runner...not faster, just tougher. And if he can hold on to the ball, HE should get the majority of the carries.

As for LBs, the Bears NEEDED to resign Briggs. I'm not sure if Urlacher's tank is running low just yet, but we'll see this season. As for Angerer (the BEST name for a linebacker in a well), look for him to SHINE this year in the 3-4! Matter of fact, I expect him to be considered for the Pro Bowl this season. Conner is a nice complement, also.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mhhm yeah were gonna need that second round Janoris Jenkins pick to have a prayer of keeping Marshall contained I see that now if he plays

I don't think he plays. It's also very likely that Jenkins could get suspended by game 1 as well. :) SORRY had to do it. You set it up!

I don't think he plays. It's also very likely that Jenkins could get suspended by game 1 as well. :) SORRY had to do it. You set it up!

I still say he will be fine he sounded remorseful now lets draft him and make him show it

I'm as excited about this as I was the Colts vs. Bears Superbowl! My number 1 team playing my number 3 team for the season opener! What fun! Weather should be pretty warm still that early in September, sometimes hotter than in August even!

I'm so glad for the 1PM games! I love Sunday afternoon games, last season was too heavy with late games, Monday night, Thursday night, Sunday night...hard to get up for work that way!

Except that White is about the only example you have of that scenario. Well White and Manning (whom many have called worn down, injury prone and a has been).

Addai, Clark, Bullit, Brackett.....to name 4 others.

It is possible.

It's also possible, and equally as likely, to go 19-0 and not allow a single point on the season.

Edited by Maureen
personal shot

This game will be ugly. NOT a Super Bowl rematch what-so-ever.

Cutler's favorite target is back next to him and it is most likely (with the crappy WR's they have) that Cutler will throw the ball to Marshall 15-18 times in that game.

The defense for the Bears will be fresh and hungry. That will not fair well for the O-line and our new QB. Most likely our run game will be completely null and void since there will probably be a lot of blitzes and stunts to confuse the new QB and the RB's will have to stick around to help block and hope to get free for a screen or swing pass.

I say we will be lucky if we are not shut out on week 1 and the Colts will be in the news and everyone will say if Luck was the right QB for us or if we should have gone after RGIII... any loss we have and any win the Redskins have you will most likely hear this on SportsCenter or any other football show.

I really don't think we'll win this game, but we do have a few things going for us that could make it interesting, being:

- The Bears typically stumble out of the gate.

- The Bears are changing offensive philosophy as well.

- All the Bears can game plan for is what we show in the preseason. We're certainly not predictable anymore.

The Bears are not juggernauts in the NFL. I hope we don't make it look like they are week 1.

Addai, Clark, Bullit, Brackett.....to name 4 others.

Good point, except that most people expected them to be released, weren't surprised when they were and were okay with it. But other than that, it fits your scenario. Edited by Maureen
personal argument

Good point, except that most people expected them to be released, weren't surprised when they were and were okay with it. But other than that, it fits your scenario.

Speaking of fitting scenarios, which one of Grigson's signess did people on here say "is a superstar just waiting for the chance to start" (using the exact words that you used)?

Edited by Maureen
personal argument

I like the Bears as a nice test for Andrew Luck. It is also a good test for a new defense; one that is going to bring the heat as opposed to Dbs 12 yds off the ball and LBs 7 yards off. Luck throws for 287 in his first start and gets picked twice.

The defense sacks Cutler 5 times and YES Freeney has one of them. We will see Bethea with a sack as well as Nevis. This team will bring it from every angle. Thank the good lord The Cover Nobody defense is gone. The Colts lose 21-14, but fall short on the final drive. Despite the loss, the NFL has taken notice. 2-1 at the Bye!

A lot of new guys playing together for the first time in both new offense & defense. Against an up & down team with knockout power...in their house.

I expect a loss...but we will see which Bears team shows up.

Hopefully a Bears team without Forte due to a holdout/trade situation and a suspended Brandon Marshall for punching that woman in the face...

I like the Bears as a nice test for Andrew Luck. It is also a good test for a new defense; one that is going to bring the heat as opposed to Dbs 12 yds off the ball and LBs 7 yards off. Luck throws for 287 in his first start and gets picked twice.

I am scared of Peppers on Castanzo, I can already see a couple of fumbles forced by the Bears' D-line. The Bears will for the most time rush only 4 but against a rookie QB, they might test him out and bring a 5th LB down the A gaps in his line of sight. We better have a bunch of checkdowns ready, whether it is a receiving TE or RB, to help out Luck.

My understanding is that Austin Collie is not our #1 or #2. Those'd be Reggie Wayne and Donnie Avery.

Im guessing he's projecting Avery to be in a role similar Garcon had in his first couple of years to where he was lined up at the "1" spot but wasn't really the one or two options.

My understanding is that Austin Collie is not our #1 or #2.

You understanding from whom?
Those'd be Reggie Wayne and Donnie Avery.

Why do you think Avery is capable of being a number #2 WR? It's a serious question, I don't know much about Avery only what I see on the stat sheet.

I am scared of Peppers on Castanzo, I can already see a couple of fumbles forced by the Bears' D-line. The Bears will for the most time rush only 4 but against a rookie QB, they might test him out and bring a 5th LB down the A gaps in his line of sight. We better have a bunch of checkdowns ready, whether it is a receiving TE or RB, to help out Luck.

Good points, but I am afraid of Peppers on anyone. HA HA! I think our big left tackle will come into his own this year. He needs that full camp. Our young OL suffered last year due to very little training camp. We needed camp, and we need it this year with 'name-tags.' I feel a fullback in that first game and Eldridge to help.

If they bring the heat, we need some MJD-esque delayed draws....lets make Urlacher earn his money. He is on the downward side. I feel that the Bear's Cover 2 will be tested by Arians in every possible way. Do I sound excited or what Chad72???

Good points, but I am afraid of Peppers on anyone. HA HA! I think our big left tackle will come into his own this year. He needs that full camp. Our young OL suffered last year due to very little training camp. We needed camp, and we need it this year with 'name-tags.' I feel a fullback in that first game and Eldridge to help.

If they bring the heat, we need some MJD-esque delayed draws....lets make Urlacher earn his money. He is on the downward side. I feel that the Bear's Cover 2 will be tested by Arians in every possible way. Do I sound excited or what Chad72???

Yes, football season is always exciting.

You are so right about those draw plays. Hopefully, the new blood on the O-line is up to the task of keeping the Bears' D-line on their toes by running well. It also boils down to whether our D can keep Cutler from putting up points. The strength of the Bears' D is the same strength that our previous 4-3 D had, once they get a lead, they pin their ears and come after you. For a team that rushes primarily the front four, the Bears get more tipped balls at the line of scrimmage than the Colts do, and more push down the middle allowing their DEs to be more effective. That is what I always liked about Lovie Smith's D. Imagine if Lovie Smith were the DC under Dungy during our early years, our aggression level might have been different down the middle, IMO. Oh well!!! :)

Yes, football season is always exciting.

You are so right about those draw plays. Hopefully, the new blood on the O-line is up to the task of keeping the Bears' D-line on their toes by running well. It also boils down to whether our D can keep Cutler from putting up points. The strength of the Bears' D is the same strength that our previous 4-3 D had, once they get a lead, they pin their ears and come after you. For a team that rushes primarily the front four, the Bears get more tipped balls at the line of scrimmage than the Colts do, and more push down the middle allowing their DEs to be more effective. That is what I always liked about Lovie Smith's D. Imagine if Lovie Smith were the DC under Dungy during our early years, our aggression level might have been different down the middle, IMO. Oh well!!! :)

I must say I am looking forward to the day I can rest easy with a lead. Even with the great number 18 there were way too many 37-34 games. I want to see us win a defensive battle 13-10 for a change....then as Luck grows....37-10.

You beat me to the punch on the passes out of the backfield. Brown needs to catch passes. He is not Darren Sproles, but would like to see him emulate him.

Lovie Smith to me is the only coach that makes the Cover 2 work anymore with the new rules. They even blew a couple (Denver) to to the infamous 'prevent' defense. Not trying to start an defensive argument, but the Cover 2 in my mind is nearing an end...especially the lax version. Lets attack for 60 minutes IMO.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - personal argument

Provide a link where people predicted stardom for Zibs and McKinney.

Why?
Didn't strike any nerve here. It would take infinitely more than that for someone like you to "strike a nerve" with someone like me.
If you say so.
Since the whole intent was to imitate you, what does that tell you about your original post?
Nothing. It tells me you are a bad imitator.

It's highly amusing that you still aren't able to put two and two together. Keep tryin' though, little guy. It'll click for you eventually.
Woo hoo I'm a little guy. Thanks, I haven't been called "little guy" in years, my diet must be working. Glad the attempted insults come without me striking a nerve.
You may be having a good day, but your game sure isn't.

What a rude, hurtful thing to say. Well at least it would be if your opinion mattered to me.

My two sources...they're really good. :) "Commonsense" & "Football IQ"

Then I guess you need to get new sources. Especially if you don't understand what using Avery like Garcon means.
Yeah its really not.

What is it about Avery's 3 receptions in the last two years that make you think he's a number 2 WR?

you-make-the-call.png

Player #1

Legitimate NFL build. Muscled up athlete. Faster on the field than his rather pedestrian 40-yard dash time would indicate. Good initial quickness off the snap. Good hand usage and lateral quickness to gain a quick release against press coverage. Sharp, savvy route-runner. Varies his speeds and can sink his hips to generate separation. Good burst laterally. Works his way back to the ball if he sees his quarterback in trouble. Soft hands. Snatches the ball out of the air and is quick to put it away. Can track over either shoulder. Good elusiveness to make the first defender miss and strength to run through arm tackles. Good vision and will cut it back inside. May lack elite deep speed, but good early acceleration.

Player #2

Has a lean frame with solid muscle tone and can add more bulk without having it hinder his timed speed...Possesses large hands, a tight abdomen, good bubble, a bit high-cut, but shows developed thighs and calves...Has impressive strength for a player his size, but the weight room numbers don't always translate to the playing field...Displays blazing speed, quick feet, and excellent explosiveness and change-of-direction agility...Plays with very good awareness, showing the ability to adjust to coverage without having to throttle down...Has generated good production catching the ball outside his framework...Sometimes looks a little tight in his lower base, but is generally an agile and elusive route runner who can rack up yardage after the catch if he is able to elude the initial tackle...Has good hands and body control, and the necessary ball skills to make the tough catch...Has improved his concentration lapses catching in a crowd, but is still a work in progress...Big-play type who works hard to protect the ball after the catch...Quick-twitch type with suddenness...When not challenged, he is very sudden getting into his routes...Does a nice job of working back to the ball when his quarterback is under pressure...Shows crisp speed-cut moves, doing a nice job of dropping his pads and accelerating out of his breaks...Shows fluid body moves timing his leaps and extending for the ball along the boundaries...His change-of-direction agility and body control usually leave second-level defenders grabbing at air...Good zone route runner who demonstrates excellent awareness along the boundary...Finds the soft spots in zone coverage, executing crisp double moves in his route to elude and can easily gobble up the cushion and run by the defenders vs. the level of competition he has faced...Plays the game hard and is not afraid to lay out for a ball or take a big hit...A vocal leader who sets a good example for other players by doing extra work in the weight room and in position drills...Gets upfield quickly using good burst and acceleration, as well as a clean release at the line of scrimmage...Freezes defenders off the line with excellent suddenness and change-of-direction agility...Has enough functional strength to push defensive backs out of their backpedal...Displays an outstanding ability to drop his weight quickly, getting in and out of cuts crisply...Creates good separation with his outstanding playing speed and runs crisp routes, using a good center of gravity to make his cuts...Has the quick feet to plant and make the initial tackler miss...Demonstrates good timing to challenge for the pass at its high point...Will cradle the ball at times, but works hard to get good placement...Can pluck the ball away from his body and reacts quickly to the ball in flight, showing good ability to dig out low throws...Can take the ball all the way when he's out in front of a defense...Very creative on the move and does a good job of holding on to the ball after colliding with the defender.

Facts rock! ;)

All they with little faith why are you on the COLT's website mabey because your a Colts FAN? It just kills me that you have people on here that get on here and trough us under the bus. Every one of the players on our team are comming in this season to WIN games. And last time I checked the Bears were not the team to beat last year. If you as a Colts fan dont expect us to win and do good the i think the colts are going to loose not do on the account of a new QB or a new HC or GM or whatever other factor you want to put out there, but because we lost the biggest support the Colts ever had the 12th man.

Well im still going to cheer for them no question. As is everyone else on this forum. Just dont expect them to do very well this year. Id love to be pleasantly surprised however. But you must acknowledge that we are in the first year of a rebuilding mode. So im fine if they struggle this year cause its to be expected. Ive always said 3 years. It takes 3 years to build a team from the ground up into a SB contender. So year 3, yeah i expect a 12-4, 13-3 record. But id suspect it would be a very disappointing year if i had those types of expectations for the Colts in 2012.

you-make-the-call.png

Player #1

Legitimate NFL build. Muscled up athlete. Faster on the field than his rather pedestrian 40-yard dash time would indicate. Good initial quickness off the snap. Good hand usage and lateral quickness to gain a quick release against press coverage. Sharp, savvy route-runner. Varies his speeds and can sink his hips to generate separation. Good burst laterally. Works his way back to the ball if he sees his quarterback in trouble. Soft hands. Snatches the ball out of the air and is quick to put it away. Can track over either shoulder. Good elusiveness to make the first defender miss and strength to run through arm tackles. Good vision and will cut it back inside. May lack elite deep speed, but good early acceleration.

Player #2

Has a lean frame with solid muscle tone and can add more bulk without having it hinder his timed speed...Possesses large hands, a tight abdomen, good bubble, a bit high-cut, but shows developed thighs and calves...Has impressive strength for a player his size, but the weight room numbers don't always translate to the playing field...Displays blazing speed, quick feet, and excellent explosiveness and change-of-direction agility...Plays with very good awareness, showing the ability to adjust to coverage without having to throttle down...Has generated good production catching the ball outside his framework...Sometimes looks a little tight in his lower base, but is generally an agile and elusive route runner who can rack up yardage after the catch if he is able to elude the initial tackle...Has good hands and body control, and the necessary ball skills to make the tough catch...Has improved his concentration lapses catching in a crowd, but is still a work in progress...Big-play type who works hard to protect the ball after the catch...Quick-twitch type with suddenness...When not challenged, he is very sudden getting into his routes...Does a nice job of working back to the ball when his quarterback is under pressure...Shows crisp speed-cut moves, doing a nice job of dropping his pads and accelerating out of his breaks...Shows fluid body moves timing his leaps and extending for the ball along the boundaries...His change-of-direction agility and body control usually leave second-level defenders grabbing at air...Good zone route runner who demonstrates excellent awareness along the boundary...Finds the soft spots in zone coverage, executing crisp double moves in his route to elude and can easily gobble up the cushion and run by the defenders vs. the level of competition he has faced...Plays the game hard and is not afraid to lay out for a ball or take a big hit...A vocal leader who sets a good example for other players by doing extra work in the weight room and in position drills...Gets upfield quickly using good burst and acceleration, as well as a clean release at the line of scrimmage...Freezes defenders off the line with excellent suddenness and change-of-direction agility...Has enough functional strength to push defensive backs out of their backpedal...Displays an outstanding ability to drop his weight quickly, getting in and out of cuts crisply...Creates good separation with his outstanding playing speed and runs crisp routes, using a good center of gravity to make his cuts...Has the quick feet to plant and make the initial tackler miss...Demonstrates good timing to challenge for the pass at its high point...Will cradle the ball at times, but works hard to get good placement...Can pluck the ball away from his body and reacts quickly to the ball in flight, showing good ability to dig out low throws...Can take the ball all the way when he's out in front of a defense...Very creative on the move and does a good job of holding on to the ball after colliding with the defender.

Facts rock! ;)

Just the facts man...just the facts.....That was one intimidating finger point. Did you get that at the gift shop? :)

you-make-the-call.png

Player #1

Player #2

Facts rock! ;)

Facts do rock. When are you going to present some? All you've done is shown a scouting report.

How about these facts:

Player #1 has shown his scouting report on the field,

player #2 has not.

Player #1- When playing as the #2 WR because of injuries to the other #2 WR by week 8 he was leading the league in receptions and touchdowns and 2nd in the league in receiving yards.

Player #2 - In his best year has never had as many receptions as Player #1 had in his worst year.

In the last two years player #1 has played in 25 games with 11 starts has 112 receptions, 1,163 yards, 9 TDs.

In the last two years players #2 has played in 8 games with 0 starts has 3 receptions for 45 yards and 1 TD.

Those are what facts look like.

If your football IQ tells you that player #2 is more worthy of being the #2 WR then i'd say your Football IQ is below 80.