Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Game Expectations

Moncrief

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chicago, with their new team, and our new QB. It's going to be a real tough one to win, but a great first challenge for Luck. Should help him a lot. My expectation are to get at least 10 points and not get blown out.

We'll probably lose. Jay Cutler is really good and now he has Brandon Marshall (who by the way had like 21 catches last time we played him), add Matt Forte and a great defense and it's over before it started lol.

From reading the posts on this forum from the Andrew Luck fans who are becoming Colt fan, one can only conclude that Andrew Luck will never lose a game as an NFL QB. Add to that from other fans on this forum that every move Grigs has made (whether it's releasing a player or signing a player) is the best possible move with the fact that every player that's been released wasn't that good and every player that has been signed is a superstar just waiting for a chance to start (sometimes they've been waiting for years but that's beside the point). Plus the fact that Pagano is going to design a defense that puts every player in the perfect position to make the most of their talents while completely eliminating their weaknesses.

Looking at all those factors I think the Colts win it 56-3.

one of the toughest possible opening games: the "rebuilt" colts with rookie QB, new head coach (and all but three others are new), at least 5 new starters on offense and defense each heading to Chicago with Cutler, Forte, and Marshall in the offense and Urlacher, Peppers, and Briggs on the defense with Hester on special teams. WOW. as much as it kills me to say this, i think they are gonna lose by a couple TD's or more. positively speaking, Luck and the rest of the new colts will be able to use this as a learning experience

one of the toughest possible opening games: the "rebuilt" colts with rookie QB, new head coach (and all but three others are new), at least 5 new starters on offense and defense each heading to Chicago with Cutler, Forte, and Marshall in the offense and Urlacher, Peppers, and Briggs on the defense with Hester on special teams. WOW. as much as it kills me to say this, i think they are gonna lose by a couple TD's or more. positively speaking, Luck and the rest of the new colts will be able to use this as a learning experience

Yeah it will be tough. But, nobody will expect much from the Colts. Which makes it easier actually.....

With Peyton at QB, I haven't been taking the Bears that seriously. Even going back to their superbowl appearance against the Colts their defense never seemed as fearsome as the media portrayed it, and their offense has always been limited - more recently featuring a couple of erratic and dysfunctional "stars". They get talked up by many but I can't fathom them even getting into the playoffs. I can't remember the last time that I felt differently. Perhaps 1985. :P I don't think that they've had a franchise QB in my lifetime.

But Peyton isn't here, and I have a feeling that that defense is suddenly going to look a lot more fearsome to me. Similarly if our defense is still trying to figure out what they are at that point, they could give up some big plays - or worse yet get run on all day long. That's not an ideal environment or opponent for a rebuilding teams first start, and I have zero expectations of getting a win.

On the other hand the two games that follow are a completely different story.

Position by Position break down

Jay Cutler vs. Andrew Luck

I say this one is even. Although Cutler obviously has superiority in terms of experience, I would say Luck has more raw talent. Jay has a strong arm, however his decision making and accuracy has been a question throughout his career. I believe that combined with the Bears lack of an O-line and the impossible task of avoiding Freeney and Mathis, Cutler will kiss the ground many times throughout the game which should mess up his rhythm. Luck will do fine in his first outing, but not spectacular. He should be able to manage the game appropriatly in order to come out with the W.

Donald Brown vs. Matt Forte

There's just not enough complements you can give to Forte. He accounted for 75% of the Bears offense when he wasn't injured last year, and really was a large part of Jay Cutler's success. In fact, Forte's impressive career actually began against the Colts in 2008, when broke free for a 50-yard run to put the game out of reach. Coach Pagano will have a real test Week 1 to show the league he means business. If he can somehow devise a game plan which will limit Forte to at most 80 yards rushing, he will renew confidence in the defense and the organization. On the Colts side there's Donald Brown, who looks like he's about to have a make or break year. If Brown can such for 90+ yards with an improved line he should be on track for hopefully a 1,000 yard season. If not, all the more reason for him to be considered a bust. I give the upper hand to Forte.

Brandon Marshall & Earl Bennett vs Reggie Wayne & Austin Collie

Reggie Wayne is on the down end of his career but still has some gas left. He may not have the game-changing speed he used to have but he still has those reliable hands and stellar route running. Collie has tons of upside and potential, and I see him being a possession wide-out and go-to-guy for Andrew Luck. He should have a good game. If the Colts get a wide-out in the draft, such as Alshon Jeffery or Muhammad Sanu, it would help them a great deal. Brandon Marshall is now reunited with Cutler, and I see him being the savior to Chicago's receiver woes, as the Roy Williams experiment didn't work out last year. I believe Earl Bennet will be the game changer though, as the Colts don't have a reliable #2 corner currently on the roster. This could change if they get Janoris Jenkins in the 2nd round of the draft. I still give the Colts though, mainly due to more experience and skill.

Brian Urlacher & Lance Briggs vs Pat Angerer and Kavell Connor

Good news for Bears: Lance Briggs was recently resigned. Bad news: Brian Urlacher is reaching his down side. Pat Angerer was one of the top tacklers last year and Connor proved he can be a reliable starter. Both have tons of upside. But they have absolutely no depth behind them and the Bears have far more experience. Therefore i give the advantage to the Bears also because of what there playing against. Urlacher & Co. have to deal with Donald Brown and Delone Carter, while Angerer & Co. have Forte and Michael Bush. Nuff said.

Your thoughts?

People, People, People. The Bears are not the Juggernauts of the NFL. Cutler is a sub-par QB, Marshall has health issues, Forte has health issues also. Hester is a flash in the pan player. The Bears line does not pass block. The Colts still have Freeney and Mathis and Angerer. If the Colts Defense can maintain the Colts will win. Yes the Bears have Urlacher, and Briggs that is it. The Colts can pull it off. Go Colts.

From reading the posts on this forum from the Andrew Luck fans who are becoming Colt fan, one can only conclude that Andrew Luck will never lose a game as an NFL QB. Add to that from other fans on this forum that every move Grigs has made (whether it's releasing a player or signing a player) is the best possible move with the fact that every player that's been released wasn't that good and every player that has been signed is a superstar just waiting for a chance to start (sometimes they've been waiting for years but that's beside the point). Plus the fact that Pagano is going to design a defense that puts every player in the perfect position to make the most of their talents while completely eliminating their weaknesses.

That's funny, I could easily say that there are just as many fans that are the polar opposite of what you described. Those who act as though all of the old, worndown, injury prone, unproductive hasbeen players we've released this offseason are all future Hall Of Famers who we'll never be able to replace. Look no further than the reaction that many people on here had to Blair White being released.....a guy who was projected at best to be the #5 receiver on this team & who accumulated zero catches last season.

So taking that into account, I think the Colts will lose to the Bears 63-0 , and likely will go 0-16 this season without scoring any touchdowns.

See what I did there? I'm so fiendishly clever.

My expectations are not high. I hope Luck stands in there and competes and doesn't pull a Gabbert. I expect that actually. I also expect to see us try to run the ball a lot more. I don't think this will be close but as long as its repectable, it meets expectations

It all depends how our OL holds up against Julius Peppers and Co. If they can do a decent job, then Luck has a chance to do very well against them. I still hope we draft a good OG in this draft like Kevin Zeitler if we can pull off a trade to acquire an extra pick.

I say this one is even. Although Cutler obviously has superiority in terms of experience, I would say Luck has more raw talent. Jay has a strong arm, however his decision making and accuracy has been a question throughout his career. I believe that combined with the Bears lack of an O-line and the impossible task of avoiding Freeney and Mathis, Cutler will kiss the ground many times throughout the game which should mess up his rhythm. Luck will do fine in his first outing, but not spectacular. He should be able to manage the game appropriatly in order to come out with the W.

There's just not enough complements you can give to Forte. He accounted for 75% of the Bears offense when he wasn't injured last year, and really was a large part of Jay Cutler's success. In fact, Forte's impressive career actually began against the Colts in 2008, when broke free for a 50-yard run to put the game out of reach. Coach Pagano will have a real test Week 1 to show the league he means business. If he can somehow devise a game plan which will limit Forte to at most 80 yards rushing, he will renew confidence in the defense and the organization. On the Colts side there's Donald Brown, who looks like he's about to have a make or break year. If Brown can such for 90+ yards with an improved line he should be on track for hopefully a 1,000 yard season. If not, all the more reason for him to be considered a bust. I give the upper hand to Forte.

Reggie Wayne is on the down end of his career but still has some gas left. He may not have the game-changing speed he used to have but he still has those reliable hands and stellar route running. Collie has tons of upside and potential, and I see him being a possession wide-out and go-to-guy for Andrew Luck. He should have a good game. If the Colts get a wide-out in the draft, such as Alshon Jeffery or Muhammad Sanu, it would help them a great deal. Brandon Marshall is now reunited with Cutler, and I see him being the savior to Chicago's receiver woes, as the Roy Williams experiment didn't work out last year. I believe Earl Bennet will be the game changer though, as the Colts don't have a reliable #2 corner currently on the roster. This could change if they get Janoris Jenkins in the 2nd round of the draft. I still give the Colts though, mainly due to more experience and skill.

Good news for Bears: Lance Briggs was recently resigned. Bad news: Brian Urlacher is reaching his down side. Pat Angerer was one of the top tacklers last year and Connor proved he can be a reliable starter. Both have tons of upside. But they have absolutely no depth behind them and the Bears have far more experience. Therefore i give the advantage to the Bears also because of what there playing against. Urlacher & Co. have to deal with Donald Brown and Delone Carter, while Angerer & Co. have Forte and Michael Bush. Nuff said.

Your thoughts?

That's a nice breakdown and all, but I'm more worried about the actual matchups.

Can Castonzo grow enough to handle the beast that is Julius Peppers?

Do we have any chance of stopping Brandon Marshal (besides him getting suspended for week one)?

Your thoughts?

Disagree on the QBs. I have high hopes for Luck, but Cutler is a very good pro QB and Luck is a rookie. They'll probably have us outmatched at every position unless Marshall gets suspended.

Of course that'll just make the upset sweeter.

Look, i love making fun of the Beerz, but were not hanging in there unless they play like s***.

Poor, Rex Cutler gets no respect, but he's a very good QB.

If i was to entertain a way the colts could win, it would involve 2 turnovers and 3 or more sacks.

I expect some bright moments, but too much veteran presence at another teams home stadium against a veteran QB. They win easily.

I also expect Manning loyalists to say I told you so.

I also expect Luck haters to say I told you so.

I also expect Polian loyalists to say I told you so.

I also expect Irsay Haters to say I told you so.

We'll have to hear that crud all season long. But in the end, I love the Colts, wont live or die on this maiden season with the new regime, and will stay a loyal Colt fan like I have for 40 flaking years. Viva La Believers!

That's funny, I could easily say that there are just as many fans that are the polar opposite of what you described. Those who act as though all of the old, worndown, injury prone, unproductive hasbeen players we've released this offseason are all future Hall Of Famers who we'll never be able to replace. Look no further than the reaction that many people on here had to Blair White being released.....a guy who was projected at best to be the #5 receiver on this team & who accumulated zero catches last season.

Except that White is about the only example you have of that scenario. Well White and Manning (whom many have called worn down, injury prone and a has been).
So taking that into account, I think the Colts will lose to the Bears 63-0 , and likely will go 0-16 this season without scoring any touchdowns.
It is possible.
See what I did there? I'm so fiendishly clever.

Clever is having the idea first, otherwise you're just a also ran. ;)

Matt Forte could hold out. Brandon Marshall could get suspended. Jay Cutler could get injured and decide to not come back in. C'mon guys, it's only the Bears. Rookies play well all the time. Why can't the Colts go up there week one and shock the world?

All they with little faith why are you on the COLT's website mabey because your a Colts FAN? It just kills me that you have people on here that get on here and trough us under the bus. Every one of the players on our team are comming in this season to WIN games. And last time I checked the Bears were not the team to beat last year. If you as a Colts fan dont expect us to win and do good the i think the colts are going to loose not do on the account of a new QB or a new HC or GM or whatever other factor you want to put out there, but because we lost the biggest support the Colts ever had the 12th man.

a little overdramatizing things are we? some of us just like the changes that have been made, bigger players less finesse more tough physical play. as for the players as a whole they will try to learn to jell to become a team and go from their

I've been hearing that Forte could get dealt by the time the Draft gets here. He wants a long term contract or he's not signing at all or showing up. They have Michael Bush now, so I think there's a possibility that we won't see him and I think Marshall is going to be suspended multiple games for beating that chick in the face. Urlacher and Peppers are old but they are still a great D. It will be interesting to say the least. I'm just hoping it's not a blow out

All they with little faith why are you on the COLT's website mabey because your a Colts FAN? It just kills me that you have people on here that get on here and trough us under the bus. Every one of the players on our team are comming in this season to WIN games. And last time I checked the Bears were not the team to beat last year. If you as a Colts fan dont expect us to win and do good the i think the colts are going to loose not do on the account of a new QB or a new HC or GM or whatever other factor you want to put out there, but because we lost the biggest support the Colts ever had the 12th man.

Some of us are just realistic and acknowledge that this is a new team that is going to have some growing pains.