Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker or Ryan - Pros/Cons and who do you Prefer?

Smonroe

Baker’s pros: Mobility, arm strength, accuracy on the move, the need to prove others wrong.

Baker’s cons: Immaturity, size, durability, coachable? 

Ryan’ pros:  Extremely intelligent pre and post snap, accuracy, experience 

Ryan’s cons:  Age, arm strength, mobility, cost?

First, do people agree (I know I didn’t go into detail).

Second, which one do you prefer.   None of the above is a choice too.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curtis Painter:peek:

joking aside, if I had to choose, I think I toss a 3rd at Mayfield, but plan on signing some weapons around him. If he looks serviceable and we make the play offs, then extend him. Or tag him. 

if not, let him go and draft his replacement with the high 1 we will likely have.

that said, I don’t want either of them

I prefer Ryan eventhough he is 36. I still believe he has 2 good years left and we win the division with him assuming we do decent in the draft and pick another WR in FA perhaps. We can draft a QB next year when the QB class is better. Having said that if we get Baker I would be ok with it because I want the team to be at least relevant like we were last season.

I don't want Baker on the Colts regardless of cost. I don't want yet another highly drafted QB whose team determined he was not good enough. Besides the fact that I don't buy into his upside at this point in his career I don't think he is a great fit for Frank's offense. I'd prefer to sign Mariota and take a hard look at drafting a QB early over acquiring Baker.

I prefer Matt Ryan not only over Baker but the other known options. I think he gives this team the highest ceiling over the next couple of years and I have no doubt he would provide stability at that position. He would also be perfect for this offense. The only concern I have with him is acquiring him without giving up major draft capital given his age.

Ryan and it isn’t even close and while his arm strength isn’t tops in the league it’s plenty strong. Much stronger than Rivers when they acquired him.  He still has excellent pocket presence and can move as much as needed to avoid sacks. Atlanta was a 2 win team without him. 

Baker is poor using the middle of the field which is why Hooper’s numbers dropped and Njoku hasn’t reached his full potential. Cleveland was forced to roll out Baker a lot. He’s going to always take a beating that way and isn’t big enough to stay healthy playing that way. Nor is he a true burner to out run everyone.  He’s a 4.8 guy which is mobile enough but not fast fast. 

Baker is Wentz 2.0 when it comes to consistency. Lots of peaks and valleys. Everything the Colts were trying to move on from. 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I prefer Ryan eventhough he is 36. I still believe he has 2 good years left and we win the division with him assuming we do decent in the draft and pick another WR in FA perhaps. We can draft a QB next year when the QB class is better. Having said that if we get Baker I would be ok with it because I want the team to be at least relevant like we were last season.

A lot of people wanted Rodgers and Ryan is a couple years younger than him.  He did a lot with very few weapons last season.  And I believe he would have no issues mentoring a young QB.

If they could work out a deal that doesn’t cost us any high draft picks, I think he’d be ideal.  

Draft a QB next year, the class will be much better.  

22 minutes ago, Reggie said:

I don't want Baker on the Colts regardless of cost. I don't want yet another highly drafted QB whose team determined he was not good enough. Besides the fact that I don't buy into his upside at this point in his career I don't think he is a great fit for Frank's offense. I'd prefer to sign Mariota and take a hard look at drafting a QB early over acquiring Baker.

I prefer Matt Ryan not only over Baker but the other known options. I think he gives this team the highest ceiling over the next couple of years and I have no doubt he would provide stability at that position. He would also be perfect for this offense. The only concern I have with him is acquiring him without giving up major draft capital given his age.

If we got Matt Ryan I would do this happy homer simpson GIF- I would predict now, we win the division with him but it will cost us draft picks to get him. I would still roll the dice while we have Taylor at this best.

25 minutes ago, Reggie said:

This. Every word. Those are my exact thoughts. Ryan by a long shot but it depends on the draft capital they want in exchange.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

This. Every word. Those are my exact thoughts. Ryan by a long shot but it depends on the draft capital they want in exchange.

I wouldn't give up the farm for him because of his age but a couple of draft picks may do it if he wants out. Maybe a 2nd and 4th? I have no idea what ATL would want.

53 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Baker’s pros: Mobility, arm strength, accuracy on the move, the need to prove others wrong.

Baker’s cons: Immaturity, size, durability, coachable? 

Ryan’ pros:  Extremely intelligent pre and post snap, accuracy, experience 

Ryan’s cons:  Age, arm strength, mobility, cost?

First, do people agree (I know I didn’t go into detail).

Second, which one do you prefer.   None of the above is a choice too.

Ryan and it isn't close for me

29 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

A lot of people wanted Rodgers and Ryan is a couple years younger than him.  He did a lot with very few weapons last season.  And I believe he would have no issues mentoring a young QB.

If they could work out a deal that doesn’t cost us any high draft picks, I think he’d be ideal.  

Draft a QB next year, the class will be much better.  

Also  with Ryan you could push back another year or two as I anticipate he would fit this offense.  It would really depend on how much he physically has in the tank.

I would not go with either one. You would have to give up draft capital and this team is not going anywhere with the way the AFC is stacked right now. Go with Mariota or Sam and basically tank to draft a young QB in 2023 draft. The way Ballard is handling free agency it looks like the colts are doing just that.

39 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Ryan and it isn’t even close and while his arm strength isn’t tops in the league it’s plenty strong. Much stronger than Rivers when they acquired him.  He still has excellent pocket presence and can move as much as needed to avoid sacks. Atlanta was a 2 win team without him. 

Baker is poor using the middle of the field which is why Hooper’s numbers dropped and Njoku hasn’t reached his full potential. Cleveland was forced to roll out Baker a lot. He’s going to always take a beating that way and isn’t big enough to stay healthy playing that way. Nor is he a true burner to out run everyone.  He’s a 4.8 guy which is mobile enough but not fast fast. 

Baker is Wentz 2.0 when it comes to consistency. Lots of peaks and valleys. Everything the Colts were trying to move on from. 

Totally agreed 

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

I would not go with either one. You would have to give up draft capital and this team is not going anywhere with the way the AFC is stacked right now. Go with Mariota or Sam and basically tank to draft a young QB in 2023 draft. The way Ballard is handling free agency it looks like the colts are doing just that.

Apparently you haven’t heard the All Chips in diatribe!

The team is too good to be bad.  

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe I am getting wiser in my older age. 

I just turned 55 yesterday lol

Congrats young man (I assume)!

This topic is as devicive as the Vax choice or Red State Blue State.  

If anyone cares, I too would go with Ryan in a heartbeat.  And his cap cost is irrelevant.  It’s not like Ballard spends it anyway.  

Mayfield- for at least the possibility of ending the QB carousel. Let Reich work with a young QB and see if he can get Mayfield to the next tier. There is no CAP killing commitment if it does not work out.  Ryan wants a new contract now- what will that cost. Just my opinion, either way I hope we move on a quarterback in the next couple days so we can go back to complaining about a #1 WR

5 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Mayfield- for at least the possibility of ending the QB carousel. Let Reich work with a young QB and see if he can get Mayfield to the next tier. There is no CAP killing commitment if it does not work out.  Ryan wants a new contract now- what will that cost. Just my opinion, either way I hope we move on a quarterback in the next couple days so we can go back to complaining about a #1 WR

I am ok with either at this point. Matt is better but Baker is a lot younger and is better than average.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am ok with either at this point. Matt is better but Baker is a lot younger and is better than average.

U add Armstead to this line and it could become so dominant. It would help the offense and defence.  I think Ryan would flourish under  Reich. Matthieu would be great but I am not sure we could fit all three under the cap.

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Signing Jameis could get Armstead to sign here as well.  Maybe even Mathieu too. 

I would love Rysn aArmstead as my    2 top choices. I would give Tell a shot at free safety. Move Blackmon  to strong safety and let them fight  it  out 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would love Rysn aArmstead as my    2 top choices. I would give Tell a shot at free safety. Move Blackmon  to strong safety and let them fight  it  out 

Yeah. We probably couldn’t afford Ryan, Armstead, & Mathieu. But we might be able to afford Jameis, Armstead, & Mathieu. 

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

How about Ryan and Julio?

Julio wanted out of Atlanta and away from Ryan. So I don’t know if he’d be that interested in playing with Ryan again. But he might want to give Jameis a shot?   Julio can’t stay healthy for a full 17, but if the price is right, I’d bring him in on a short term deal.  But I’d take Armstead and Mathieu over him if we could only have him or one of them and draft 2 receivers this year. 

Baker, he's probably cheaper pick wise and $ wise. Younger, higher upside, and Indianapolis would be able to move on if needed. He's got mechanic issues that I believe Reich could fix and the character issues are blown out of proportion. Cleveland's already been caught lying about doing "extensive research" on Watson, it's not silly for them to pin a bunch of nonsense on him.

I'd realistically be fine with either but Baker would be a lot more fun.

I am ok with either one. Ryan is way less of a risk and you know what your getting. But they can’t sit on their hands and not try to find his successor. Baker is still young enough to be molded. Lots of upside. But a huge risk. Could get people fired if it doesn’t work. Ryan will keep us winning and competitive and won’t get anyone fired.

2 hours ago, Reggie said:

Exactly. well said (I would have "liked" this post but apparently there's a shortage and you can only do a few a day ;-) )

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah. We probably couldn’t afford Ryan, Armstead, & Mathieu. But we might be able to afford Jameis, Armstead, & Mathieu. 

I think Jamieson is going back to the Saints. To me Ryan and Armstead would be awesome. Pick up 2 wrs in  the draft.

Archived