Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we are hearing__on Twitter, Reddit, Podcasts, from fans, on sports radio, etc.

NFLfan

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Don't you want Sam to play? The Colts have drafted Eason and Sam the last few years. Do you think they will draft another QB this year?

Eason isn't on the team. Sam is just a sixth round pick. He's a career backup imo.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Interesting

That’s really interesting and makes sense. Like most people have said, you can’t trade Wentz and not have a plan in mind. Maybe they got to the combine and Pickett, Ridder, or Strong blew them away on the field and more likely in interviews and they changed their mind.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

That’s really interesting and makes sense. Like most people have said, you can’t trade Wentz and not have a plan in mind. Maybe they got to the combine and Pickett, Ridder, or Strong blew them away on the field and more likely in interviews and they changed their mind.

That's one way to look at it. Another could be the trade for Wilson was announced after the combine so that made Wentz's value skyrocket to the Commanders so Ballard went with the best deal possible.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Who knows, then again he could've already been discussions with Lynch about Jimmy or even talking to the ATL about Matt Ryan.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's one way to look at it. Another could be the trade for Wilson was announced after the combine so that made Wentz's value skyrocket to the Commanders so Ballard went with the best deal possible.

That’s a possibility as well. Playing hard ball to get a better deal. He really got a steal in the deal for Wentz.

24 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Bingo!

That is why some people don't realize how important signing a good QB is. Reason why I was so dead set on signing Jimmy G right when everything started last week. He wins and is good, above average at worse. SF wants to trade him because they are ready to move on with Lance. They traded to get Lance so can't let him sit. Players aren't dumb, if I was a WR or player would I want to play for the Colts with Sam or a rookie QB, answer is hell no. If Jimmy G and especially Matt Ryan was here I would sign all day. Ballard needs to do something because this is looking bad. Taylor has to be wondering wth is going on, get me a QB that at least gives me hope. 

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Makes ZERO sense lol.. Colts don’t pick til 42.. so they can like a guy all they want but planning on him being there and not having a QB on the roster is dumb.

I’ve said it a billion times.. no chance Ballard and Reich risk their jobs on a rookie, especially from this class that is viewed as historically weak.

Our fan base is simply not being realistic is all. I love the passion we all have, but we also are jaded in thinking just because we had all this cap space that we would land a big fish.

The reality is we are always, always going to be fiscally responsible (read: cheap).

Why? It is built into Ballard's blueprint. You cannot develop and then pay your home-grown stars if you are out there paying big-time FAs.

We started with $70M. That is without a QB. Trading for Jimmy G or Ryan or even Baker would chop off $18M-$25M of that.

We have already spent $30M+ of that $70M. Everyone thinks we have done nothing or spent nothing. But re-signing MAC, Zaire, Lewis and Pryor totaled around $18.5M. Then factor in the $13M for Ngakoue and the $3.5M for Facyson.

We are already down to under $40M in space and we will likely have to fit in a $20M QB and also will have our rookie class and Quenton Nelson extension $ to spend (Q's extension could lower his cap hit or it could use cap space to front load it if we have extra cap space and use it to do so). 

My entire point in this is that we were likely never going to spend huge. 

I could still see some more bargain-type signings. Maybe a S, CB or some depth on the DL and OL. I am still holding out hope for a guy like D.Barnett as a value signing. 

Anyhow, the first domino to fall is QB. We all knew that until we had one that would be an excuse for players not signing here.

The other reality is this:

1) Players go where the money is. They want to win sure. But they have a finite time to set their families up for life. They go where they get the most $

2) See point #1.....you need to pay a player above market value to make them really jump

3) The Colts do NOT pay above market value. They rarely even pay market value. 

4) If you will not overpay then that means you are asking for a player to pick your team over others likely offering similar deals. If that is the case the only way that works is if they really want to come to your team or if they see a big opportunity to excel there

Until we overpay (which will not happen under Ballard), we need to get used to this method. We will have money and use 50% or more to re-sign our own and then will split the remaining 50% to add some depth

In back to back years the Colts traded for top $ guys in Buckner and Wentz. And this year we traded for Ngakoue  who is being paid as a top-5 guy on our team.

Those are our big gets. It is not that we are not making moves. We are just not making the moves our fan base wants. 

I’m cool with just playing Sam. High 1st rounder next year and more than likely two high 2nd rounders. Draft your skill guys this year TE, WR, etc. Get the roster ready for your future franchise QB. Prepare the roster for him, so when he’s here, all other pieces are in place. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Tomorrow Tomorrow LMAO

Has this guy been right one time this off-season? Lol Not being a jerk, just feels like he actually doesn’t know anything at all and just makes things up.

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He’ll choose the Cowboys in that case. We don’t currently have a QB.

Or he has been waiting to see whom Indy brings in and thats why he hasnt already signed with Dallas. If Mayfield or Ryan I see him coming here if Mariotta or Winston likely goes to Cowboys

3 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Has this guy been right one time this off-season? Lol Not being a jerk, just feels like he actually doesn’t know anything at all and just makes things up.

He did post a "Rock" gif/meme a few hrs before the Rock-Ngakoue trade was announced so he does seem to have some inside intel. 

Archived