Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Funny thing about the Bears is they had Charles Leno and let him get away and we chose Fisher over Leno and here we are. Now the LT we could have gotten in Charles Leno and the QB we got in Wentz are both with the Commanders. Life has a funny way of coming full circle. I will be curious to see how Leno and Wentz do together at Washington.

• Like 2

There's so much talent left! Relax! We all know high priced free agents rarely work out and there are a crap ton of studs out there. I see Russell Gage, Marcus Maye, Dontae Jackson, Arden Key, Lorenzo Carter, Connor Williams, etc..... as very Ballard like signings. High upside for most of them and they won't break the bank. 

• Like 1

Beware the Ides of March.   Will something pop today?  BTW Good Morning Football: Schraeger, Adams et al were kind of making fun of Ballard just now.  All of this cap space and nothing to show for it and no QB.  Come on Ballard do something was their cry.  Adams wants us to sign Armstead.  She's been saying it for days now. Jarvis Landry, Chandler Jones to mention a few other names they dropped.  They know he's frugal but they think he needs to make some noise and improve our roster knowing the AFC South is a weak division.  No argument from me. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im pretty sure the calendar says March  15 and not April 15.    I love posts that talk about our wrong or bad approach after one day of free agency.    One.    ONE!!

I looked over on NFL.com and the Colts are one of 8 teams that pretty much sat out the first day of free agency.   We are not alone.   It’s not like Chris Ballard is doing one thing and the other 31 teams are doing something else.   

There will be plenty of time to complain in the days and weeks to come.   But after one day?   Really?    Come on….. 

I get what you saying and I agree.  We will see.  I don’t expect us to splurge and I wouldn’t want us to.  But we will see…how many years has it been that we’ve had the most or top 5 cap space?  Let’s see if it changes.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Beware the Ides of March.   Will something pop today?  BTW Good Morning Football: Schraeger, Adams et al were kind of making fun of Ballard just now.  All of this cap space and nothing to show for it and no QB.  Come on Ballard do something was their cry.  Adams wants us to sign Armstead.  She's been saying it for days now. Jarvis Landry, Chandler Jones to mention a few other names they dropped.  They know he's frugal but they think he needs to make some noise and improve our roster knowing the AFC South is a weak division.  No argument from me. 

If Watson goes to (say the Panthers or Saints), then yes the AFC South is definitely winnable with the right pieces.

Armstead, Jimmy G, Chandler Jones in FA and the pass catchers from the draft, I would be happy with our division winning chances assuming we re-sign Reed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

This is not surprising but apparently the Texans denied the Colts request to speak to Deshaun Watson?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-rumors-texans-dont-allow-224503127.html

By NFL rules they can't deny any team from speaking to any player and Watson has a no trade clause so this Article is nonsense IMO. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh No What GIF by Originals

He was going to take less $$ to stay with Dallas and word was him and Jerry's connection was part of that. Guess Denver offered him more.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

By NFL rules they can't deny any team from speaking to any player and Watson has a no trade clause so this Article is nonsense IMO. 

Watson is under contract with the Texans and any team that talks to him without the team's permission is tampering.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Oh No What GIF by Originals

He was going to take less $$ to stay with Dallas and word was him and Jerry's connection was part of that. Guess Denver offered him more.

Watson is under contract with the Texans and any team that talks to him without the team's permission is tampering.

The NFL did away with tampering rules years ago when it comes to Free Agency a few days before Free Agency actually happens. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We later found out that Watson nixed certain teams he did not want to talk with so maybe that explains it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

So I was wrong in my thought. Same money, BUT:

Man, AFC West is heating up. McDaniels might want to shape up fast or he could always give us Carr :) 

Chargers - re-sign Mike Williams, Khalil Mack trade, signing JC Jackson, signing DT Sebastian Joseph Day from Rams, Giants DT Austin Johnson, the Chargers are going to be a division contender and have the best chance of dethroning the Chiefs there.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

John Cena Omg GIF

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NFL did away with tampering rules years ago when it comes to Free Agency a few days before Free Agency actually happens. 

Watson isn't a free agent. He's under contract with the Texans, hence why a team would have to obtain permission to speak with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

John Cena Omg GIF

Watson isn't a free agent. He's under contract with the Texans, hence why a team would have to obtain permission to speak with him.

Same for guys being under contract. Wilson was under contract and the Broncos traded for him. If a player has a no trade clause they have the right to speak to any team they want.

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Half the league needed new QBs, I doubt one falls. Especially in a weak QB class

Current teams that need QB have gone way down in the coming weeks 

Some might need a rookie to groom for future but one should definitely be in reach 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same for guys being under contract. Wilson was under contract and the Broncos traded for him. If a player has a no trade clause they have the right to speak to any team they want.

If a player is under contract with a team, they talk to another team without their team's permission, that is considered tampering. The team that owns the rights to that player has to provide permission for that player to speak to other teams. A no trade clause doesn't give a player a blanket ability to talk to any team they want at any time. It just means they control where they go and can't be traded unless it's to a team they want to be traded to.

Here is an article that painfully details how the Wilson trade went down:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/14/mmqb-russell-wilson-trade-negotiations-tom-brady-unretires

In short, the two GMs were the ones that had been working on a deal for a long time and once they agreed on a trade package, the Seahawks granted permission for Wilson to fly to Denver to meet with their FO.