Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022

Just now, smittywerb said:

i agree but you don’t give that money to THAT quality of receiver.  I don’t mind overpaying for talent that’s worth it.  But Kirk getting paid that much is a HUGE overpay.  This is one of the reasons why prices go up.

I am not disagreeing its an overpay...but at what point do the Colts become bystanders in this entire process? The good news is that Chester Rogers is a FA this year, If Ballard is willing to get crazy we can probably steal him back from the Titans.

6 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I am not disagreeing its an overpay...but at what point do the Colts become bystanders in this entire process? The good news is that Chester Rogers is a FA this year, If Ballard is willing to get crazy we can probably steal him back from the Titans.

theres a difference between being a bystander and pulling out of negotiations.  For example, I think we could’ve went after reddick by giving him more than what the eagles offered.  3/$45 with $30 mill guaranteed.  We could’ve offered more there.  But $21 mill for a receiver who was a second (maybe third option) on his team, no.  Overpay, but overpay without giving out ridiculous contracts.

and not only did they overpay, they screwed the WR market.  Now receivers are going to look at him and say if that’s what HE got then I want no less.

• Like 1

My Favorite targets left:

- QB Jameis Winston

- WR Allen Robinson

- WR James Washington

- WR DJ Chark

- WR Russell Gage

- TE Gerald Everett

- TE Hayden Hurst

- LT Duane Brown

- EDGE Zadarius Smith

- EDGE Chandler Jones

- EDGE Derek Barnett

- LB Bobby Wagner

- LB Anthony Hitchens

- LB Jordan Hicks

- S Marcus Williams

- CB Kyle Fuller

- CB Casey Hayward

- CB Charvarious Ward

- CB JC Jackson

1 minute ago, NorthernColt said:

- QB Jameis Winston

- WR Allen Robinson

- WR James Washington

- WR DJ Chark

- WR Russell Gage

- TE Gerald Everett

- TE Hayden Hurst

- LT Duane Brown

- EDGE Zadarius Smith

- EDGE Chandler Jones

- EDGE Derek Barnett

- LB Bobby Wagner

- LB Anthony Hitchens

- LB Jordan Hicks

- S Marcus Williams

- CB Kyle Fuller

- CB Casey Hayward

- CB Charvarious Ward

- CB JC Jackson

It is a great list. Do you want to take any bets that the Colts sign absolutely none of those players?

2 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

- QB Jameis Winston

- WR Allen Robinson

- WR James Washington

- WR DJ Chark

- WR Russell Gage

- TE Gerald Everett

- TE Hayden Hurst

- LT Duane Brown

- EDGE Zadarius Smith

- EDGE Chandler Jones

- EDGE Derek Barnett

- LB Bobby Wagner

- LB Anthony Hitchens

- LB Jordan Hicks

- S Marcus Williams

- CB Kyle Fuller

- CB Casey Hayward

- CB Charvarious Ward

- CB JC Jackson

I’d be a happy colts fan if we got chandler and chark

48 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

"Colts have interest in", every year, every freaking year! I understand that free agency is a pot luck sorta thing, but it sucks being window shoppers every year..

Understand that a lot of that is agents using us and our generally large amount of cap space as a means of leveraging deals for their clients elsewhere.

• Like 1

How much did Trubisky get from the Steelers? I am thinking Ryan Fitzpatrick it is, for the Colts, and he would be fine for a stop gap QB, I will not complain whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Understand that a lot of that is agents using us and our generally large amount of cap space as a means of leveraging deals for their clients elsewhere.

It is not just Ballard that stands pat in Week 1, lots of GMs other than Jags GMs typically stand pat in week 1 and wait for week 2 to begin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

How much did Trubisky get from the Steelers? I am thinking Ryan Fitzpatrick it is, for the Colts, and he would be fine for a stop gap QB, I will not complain whatsoever.

Love the Amish Rifle. Even just for the LOL's. Feel the same about Winston for the YOLO. I kinda wanted Trubisky but I'd take either of these 2 over Jimmy G.

9 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

theres a difference between being a bystander and pulling out of negotiations.  For example, I think we could’ve went after reddick by giving him more than what the eagles offered.  3/$45 with $30 mill guaranteed.  We could’ve offered more there.  But $21 mill for a receiver who was a second (maybe third option) on his team, no.  Overpay, but overpay without giving out ridiculous contracts.

and not only did they overpay, they screwed the WR market.  Now receivers are going to look at him and say if that’s what HE got then I want no less.

I agree....but when you don't really participate in FA spending you never win those deals for a guy like Reddick. There has to be some happy medium right? Maybe overpay a little bit? Ballard has always approached FA looking for deals on the cheap.....what results has this produced?

8 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I’d be a happy colts fan if we got chandler and chark

Chark is 100% Raiders, he even posted pictures of his current trip to Las Vegas talking about how amazing it would/will be to play there.

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I agree....but when you don't really participate in FA spending you never win those deals for a guy like Reddick. There has to be some happy medium right? Maybe overpay a little bit? Ballard has always approached FA looking for deals on the cheap.....what results has this produced?

I agree with that also and is my main knock against him.  That’s why I used that reddick as an example.  

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is not just Ballard that stands pat in Week 1, lots of GMs other than Jags GMs typically stand pat in week 1 and wait for week 2 to begin.

Sure, teams like KC, Buffalo, Tampa, and other contenders only need a few pieces to fill out their rosters so they can afford to wait. The Colts have several areas of need to fill but never do. That is why they remain in the bottom tier of teams.

1 minute ago, NorthernColt said:

We resigned MAC. 3 year deal

I like MAC but it doesn't help if you never use him in the offense. I bet if we wait long enough we can get a better deal on signing T.Y. Hilton again, although we might not need him because I bet we are going after Chester Rogers. If we can steal him back from the Titans and pair him with MPJ, imagine what this receiving corps could do? This sounds like a Ballard budget signing made in heaven (yes this is PO sarcasm if you can't tell)

9 minutes ago, philba101 said:

You act like they may have wanted Reddick.

I highly doubt they had ANY interest at $12M.
 Ballard has TWO guys to pay for on the Hall of Fame track, 7 Pro Bowlers in all NOW, Kelly and Smith earning big money, Buckner with a Monster contract, WHAT IN THE _____ are you thinking? 
 Obviously you can't put two and two together. 

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Ballard has TWO guys to pay for on the Hall of Fame track, 7 Pro Bowlers in all NOW, Kelly and Smith earning big money, Buckner with a Monster contract, WHAT IN THE _____ are you thinking? 

What good does 7-pro bowlers and $70 million in FA money do when you cant making the playoffs? Ask how many of those guys if they would trade their pro bowl nod last year for a shot in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Jesus I just used it as an example.  I don’t know if we wanted him or not.  There aren’t any reports even linking him to us.  Just because I didn’t outright say it.  I literally said “for example” and used it as a comparison.  What is your problem?  

and then I even mentioned it was something I think we could’ve which means it was my personal opinion and not something that was actually happening.

calm down

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

The Colts could have done this deal 6-week ago. Why are they wasting time with it now? It is like the Colts are 3 to 4 steps behind every other team.

Sometimes you have to use the current market to leverage a deal. His agent may have been wanting to throw out feelers today to gauge interest/offers, but ultimately MAC wanted to resign here. Maybe we offered less initially and he used interest elsewhere to get a better contract here. Plenty of reasons why this didn't happen 6 weeks ago. Why does it matter if we made a deal with him today instead of weeks ago? A lot of deals announced so far were teams re-signing their own FA's.

If you expect any blockbuster signing by us today, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, philba101 said:

The Colts could have done this deal 6-week ago. Why are they wasting time with it now? It is like the Colts are 3 to 4 steps behind every other team.

Wrong.  They let him test the market and he received an offer that was stronger than what we were offering.  Ballard wanted him so he beat the other teams offer.  Pretty simple really.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Wrong.  They let him test the market and he received an offer that was stronger than what we were offering.  Ballard wanted him so he beat the other teams offer.  Pretty simple really.

So MAC was our FA priority? This what we have been waiting for is to re-up our current players who are producing at minimal levels? I can't really figure out why this team is not getting any better?

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

So MAC was our FA priority? This what we have been waiting for is to re-up our current players who are producing at minimal levels? I can't really figure out why this team is not getting any better?

No I didn’t say that.  They wanted to retain him though.

Just now, RNGDShobby said:

Does this make MAC our TE1? Not sure if there is anyone available who would/should be a target...
Uzomah? too old for my liking.
Conklin? JAG
Howard? Upside
Engram Upside

Of course it does. That was the CB plan all along once Doyle retired. That way we spend as little of our $70 million FA stash as possible. Don't you understand the CB strategy yet?

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Looks like Ballard is not changing or evolving, sticking to his guns. Anyone have that "delayed gratification" gif with the Skeleton at the computer

Just now, ColtJax said:

Seeing all this talent get gobbled up, and we sign MAC for 6 million a year. Nice guy, but he's not a needle mover..

It's been 5 hours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Looks like Ballard is not changing or evolving, sticking to his guns. Anyone have that "delayed gratification" gif with the Skeleton at the computer

Don't know where he got that, the team he came from, the Chief's, sign top talent all the time..