Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What have we learned

danlhart87

The SB 56 matching between the Bengals and Rams should be a good one

Rams

They went all out this year giving up their 1st round picks until 2050 but being aggressive has certainly paid off.  They certainly have that luxury though with having great team.

Bengals 

They went after one of the top EDGE guys in FA in Hendricksom and it paid off.  Their big debate was Sewell vs Chase and while both have been great Chase was definitely the guy who has helped Burrow like at LSU

What would I do if I am Ballard 

Get top EDGE and WR in FA

Draft top available OT in 2nd Round 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I’ve learned that you don’t need an elite o line, you do need an elite d line, you need an elite QB and at least 2 good-great WRs.  The QB and WRs can make up for a bad o line.

It's important in that case to have a QB who can create plays when the OL falls apart 

9 minutes ago, joeb said:

I am on the side of QB change. Maybe we could trade Wentz and sign jimmy garapollo. He's 32 yrs. old. 5 yrs. 150 mil. Not a problem. 

Did you not just watch the game. Jimmy had the exact same flaws Wentz had this year. Missed throws to wide open targets throwing unusual pass for the game losing int. 

12 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I’ve learned that you don’t need an elite o line, you do need an elite d line, you need an elite QB and at least 2 good-great WRs.  The QB and WRs can make up for a bad o line.

Well you'll be able to see your hypothesis tested. We just saw an average/mediocre QB (Jimmy) behind a great OL lose. We'll see a great QB (Burrow) behind an average/mediocre OL. Both had/have nice weapons. 

Personally I think Burrow will be running for his life. Burrow faired pretty well vs SF in a low scoring game earlier this season, but he laid an egg (albeit a winning egg) vs TN. He was sacked 9 times, zero TDs, 1 INT, and a sub 30 QBR. LAR's O is much better than TN's, so Burrow will need to be a lot better. 

Go Bengals! But won't be sad if Stafford gets a win. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Well you'll be able to see your hypothesis tested. We just saw an average/mediocre QB (Jimmy) behind a great OL lose. We'll see a great QB (Burrow) behind an average/mediocre OL. Both had/have nice weapons. 

Personally I think Burrow will be running for his life. Burrow faired pretty well vs SF in a low scoring game earlier this season, but he laid an egg (albeit a winning egg) vs TN. He was sacked 9 times, zero TDs, 1 INT, and a sub 30 QBR. LAR's O is much better than TN's, so Burrow will need to be a lot better. 

as i said earlier in the season ballard should take a lesson on how the rams gm built this team with no delayed gratification, the future is now!!!!!

8 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

as i said earlier in the season ballard should take a lesson on how the rams gm built this team with no delayed gratification, the future is now!!!!!

LAR was much better to start with IMO, from a pure roster perspective (over Indy). 

But I do agree I'm tired of my gratification being delayed lol.... 

And I think several mistakes were made last offseason aside from the whole QB debate. Letting Autry, Houston, Walker, and Hooker go. None got big raises. All had better years somewhere else (than they did in 2020), and all had better years than their replacements in 2021..... lol... Then add in that we whiffed with Fisher at LT and still have no answer at LT... 

What the playoffs has taught me:

- you don’t need the best OL.  Heck, you don’t even need a good one.  Having qb making quick throws and the right throws, skill players that understand the assignment, and a scheme that masks the deficiencies of the OL can get it done. 

- Ballard has to get more aggressive if he truly believes we are a couple pieces away.  Delayed gratification gets old when the team is underachieving.  This is the first year since his tenure where I think we under achieved.

- Reich has to get better at using the talent we have.  It took half of the year for Reich to realize JT was our best player.  Hines misused this year.  Our scheme did not mask the deficiencies of our offense and OL

- sadly, wentz is not the answer.  Burrow, stafford, Allen are miles ahead of wentz just based off of decision making alone.  So many times I’ve seen qbs pull it down and run with the ball and put their head down while we watched wentz make erratic throws and decisions game after game.  Wentz atp to me is jimmy G 2.0 until he shows otherwise.  I’m honestly ok with sitting wentz if the season starts off slow again and seeing what we have with Sam-E

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

What the playoffs has taught me:

- you don’t need the best OL.  Heck, you don’t even need a good one.  Having qb making quick throws and the right throws, skill players that understand the assignment, and a scheme that masks the deficiencies of the OL can get it done. 

- Ballard has to get more aggressive if he truly believes we are a couple pieces away.  Delayed gratification gets old when the team is underachieving.  This is the first year since his tenure where I think we under achieved.

- Reich has to get better at using the talent we have.  It took half of the year for Reich to realize JT was our best player.  Hines misused this year.  Our scheme did not mask the deficiencies of our offense and OL

- sadly, wentz is not the answer.  Burrow, stafford, Allen are miles ahead of wentz just based off of decision making alone.  So many times I’ve seen qbs pull it down and run with the ball and put their head down while we watched wentz make erratic throws and decisions game after game.  Wentz atp to me is jimmy G 2.0 until he shows otherwise.  I’m honestly ok with sitting wentz if the season starts off slow again and seeing what we have with Sam-E

3 of the 4 teams this weekend had top 10 OLs.... 

The worst OL out of the 4 (Bengals), is much improved over last year, and has a very solid blind side. Having two the leagues top WRs helps too. 

I agree though, you don't need a top 5 OL... But you're pass pro can't be 3rd worst... I don't care what QB you have... 

Agree on 2 and 3. 

I think 4 is TBD.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I learned that some of the best QB's in the NFL are sitting home for SB weekend. It's obvious the Colts need better QB play, but it takes a hell of a lot more than that. If we give up 3 to 4 first rounders with the team as it is right now, it will be near impossible to build that "hell of a lot more than that". 

Yes and to get Rodgers or Wilson it will take multiple 1s

Would be incredibly stupid too cause this team has tons of other holes

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's funny because before the season started, I wanted 3 options and posted them in here being:

1. Rivers coming back

2. Stafford as QB

3. Carr as QB

We went with Wentz instead. I thought for sure Stafford was coming here hearing all the rumors but nope.

Care to take a stab at what options 2 or 3 would have cost the team, and what other positions the Colts would not be filling or upgrading because of those moves. 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

3 of the 4 teams this weekend had top 10 OLs.... 

The worst OL out of the 4 (Bengals), is much improved over last year, and has a very solid blind side. Having two the leagues top WRs helps too. 

I agree though, you don't need a top 5 OL... But you're pass pro can't be 3rd worst... I don't care what QB you have... 

Agree on 2 and 3. 

I think 4 is TBD.

burrow was the most sacked and hit qb this year.  Burrow has been the most sacked and hit qb in the playoffs.  That comment wasn’t  for every team but  the bengals are showing that even if we have the best OL, you still need the qb to pull the trigger, which we know wentz has not done.  That bengals OL is still not good lol.  But they have the better coach and qb which I’ve explained has made that ol look way better than what it actually is.  How many plays did burrow use his feet to make a play?  Whether it was scrambling for yards or evading a rusher. Now, how many times have you seen wentz do that?  My point exactly.

wentz holds the ball TOO long.  Burrow vs wentz decision is night and day.  Trust me, wentz and Reich come up with a way to get that ball out sooner, our pass pro will look like it has in recent years.

im sorry, you cannot watch these playoffs and confidently say wentz is up there with these qbs.  If wentz was in the playoffs, he would be right between jimmy g and Ryan tannehill.  After tannehill it’s Carr and the rest of the list is self explanatory.  

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Obvious to some, but maybe not to others....

Zero RBs with 100 or more yards this weekend. or last....

So does that mean you don't need a great RB either?

no but you need to running back who’s able to get us those tough yards. I don’t think anyone has said that we need a great running back.  I think getting Taylor was still right the love.  Once again, Taylor was not the problem this year.  Using Taylor was not the problem this year.  And if you think we used him too much then you need to look at Reich. 

4 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

burrow was the most sacked and hit qb this year.  Burrow has been the most sacked and hit qb in the playoffs.  That comment wasn’t  for every team but  the bengals are showing that even if we have the best OL, you still need the qb to pull the trigger, which we know wentz has not done.  That bengals OL is still not good lol.  But they have the better coach and qb which I’ve explained has made that ol look way better than what it actually is.  How many plays did burrow use his feet to make a play?  Whether it was scrambling for yards or evading a rusher. Now, how many times have you seen wentz do that?  My point exactly.

wentz holds the ball TOO long.  Burrow vs wentz decision is night and day.  Trust me, wentz and Reich come up with a way to get that ball out sooner, our pass pro will look like it has in recent years.

im sorry, you cannot watch these playoffs and confidently say wentz is up there with these qbs.  If wentz was in the playoffs, he would be right between jimmy g and Ryan tannehill.  After tannehill it’s Carr and the rest of the list is self explanatory.  

Wentz was also pressured (pressure %) more than Burrow (on the year)... Wentz was hit 27 times more than Burrow.... Burrow threw twice as many INTs as Wentz.... 

Burrow is clearly better than Wentz, but their pass pro is better than ours. They have a good LT, and ours was bad. Blind side tackle is easily the biggest need for a QB's success. And Fisher was just plain bad this year. Plenty of film out there showing how bad. 

Not saying Wentz is up there with the top QBs. I do think he can be better with weapons and a better pass pro. At minimum as good as Jimmy and Tannehill. 

12 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

no but you need to running back who’s able to get us those tough yards. I don’t think anyone has said that we need a great running back.  I think getting Taylor was still right the love.  Once again, Taylor was not the problem this year.  Using Taylor was not the problem this year.  And if you think we used him too much then you need to look at Reich. 

I think we underutilized him several games (only 15 carries against the 3rd worst run D / Jax is a head scratcher), and we over utilized him some games (Houston for example).... And yes, I do look at Reich.

Not saying at all Taylor was a bad move. I think he was a great move. Just need to use him, and other weapons, better.

I think whats obvious thats not really new information is in todays NFL you need an elite quarterback. Or you need a team built like the 49ers. Where an average to above average quarterback like Jimmy G can get it done.

Stop with the Jimmy is trash comments. 31-15 regular season and 4-2 in the playoffs with the 49ers. Two NFCC appearances and a SB appearance almost beating Mahomes for a ring is not trash no matter how you spin it lol. People really think the 49ers team is built in such a superior way that a trash quarterback can lead them to that success its honestly hilarious. 

Also if the Rams win a SB all the people who were against Stafford and said he was to expensive can eat dirt lol.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

It's important in that case to have a QB who can create plays when the OL falls apart 

True to some extent, but the better, more cerebral QB's are good at pre-snap reads and usually know who to throw to as soon as center hikes the ball to them and they get rid of pass quickly before they get hit. 

17 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think whats obvious thats not really new information is in todays NFL you need an elite quarterback. Or you need a team built like the 49ers. Where an average to above average quarterback like Jimmy G can get it done.

Stop with the Jimmy is trash comments. 31-15 regular season and 4-2 in the playoffs with the 49ers. Two NFCC appearances and a SB appearance almost beating Mahomes for a ring is not trash no matter how you spin it lol. People really think the 49ers team is built in such a superior way that a trash quarterback can lead them to that success its honestly hilarious. 

Also if the Rams win a SB all the people who were against Stafford and said he was to expensive can eat dirt lol.

Jimmy averaged 178 yards per game these playoffs he threw an INT in each contest too.

He got this far because of his D and the fact that Samuel and Kittle are great YAC

50 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jimmy averaged 178 yards per game these playoffs he threw an INT in each contest too.

He got this far because of his D and the fact that Samuel and Kittle are great YAC

YAC.... Would be nice if Wentz could hit some passes in the short to mid game on plays designed to get guys in space and rack up some YAC.... He doesn't often do that.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Maybe bad oline wasn’t the right word, I just meant not elite.  I agree that he will have a very tough game against the Rams.  Either way, I’ll be happy for whomever wins the SB.  I like both QBs.

Archived