Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We will finally pay for an A tier pass-catcher.

Roto just reported the Cowboys are expected to retain Cooper. This is great news on the Gallup front as Wilson would be a better money option for Dallas.

Colts need to be all in on Gallup from the jump. I know some on here state that we can't afford him, and others say they want Kirk. keep in mind each of these wideouts have a projected market value of 11.5-11.8 a year. 

Everyone should want this!! Besides, what's better than a marriage of the Colts with a Gallup....:thmup:

18 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Doesn’t mean he gets it. I’ve seen 22 or 23 per year but not 30

I hate to disagree .... I really do

Lets say its 22M to sign this WR  (your numbers)

The quick math

Spotrac Lists the Colts Cap for 2022 at 37.75M  (over the cap says 40M)

You will need at least 5M to sign your rookies (No first round will help)

37.75M Cap

5M  Rookie sign pool

22M  New WR

10.75 M left

PLUS 6.2M (I dont see Jack Doyle on this team)

That leaves you 17M left

We have two FA guards - We will need to sign one - Probably Reed at 2M

We have no LT on the roster - You will need to allocate 12M minimum for a viable LT

The team very much likes Tyquan Lewis - He will cost at least 2.5M

What about CB.....  we are losing 2 CBs vets..... you will need to get at least 1.... between the two they were making 6M

Lets say the replacement costs 3M for a single vet CB (It will be more)

We have NO FS on this roster.......  do you try to get someone?

Just with the basics.... thats 3M over the cap

With this big step you STILL havent addressed the biggest need on the team in ANY Way

We were bottom five in pass rush last year......  We need a DE.... we will continue to do poorly on the defensive side of the ball

I dont see the BIG WR spend as anywhere near a viable choice

We just dont have the cap

Lastly..... WHY would Adams seek to come to Indy?  We dont have a top 5 QB that could highlight him

I highly doubt that this comes together

On 1/27/2022 at 9:12 AM, 07dleigh said:

Yeah, this is my point. I think Irsay is applying a little more pressure than usual. I love that he is ANGRY. It's hard for me to believe we don't bring in a guy that can transform this offense given how * Irsay is. He wants us more dynamic.

I also don't think Ballard is THAT stubborn. It's more clear than it's ever been since I've started watching this team that we need an alpha pass catcher. 

Strachan?  (too soon?! lol).    :peek:

On 1/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, MikeCurtis said:

The quick math

37.75M Cap

5M  Rookie sign pool

22M  New WR

10.75 M left

That leaves you 17M left

We have no LT on the roster - You will need to allocate 12M minimum for a viable LT

What about CB.....  we are losing 2 CBs vets..... you will need to get at least 1.... between the two they were making 6M

With this big step you STILL havent addressed the biggest need on the team in ANY Way

We were bottom five in pass rush last year......  We need a DE.... we will continue to do poorly on the defensive side of the ball

Lastly..... WHY would Adams seek to come to Indy?  We dont have a top 5 QB that could highlight him

I appreciate your thought and numbers but I was saying his contract number will not be 30. Whether we went after him or not is whatever. If we did we wouldn’t offer anywhere close to 23 tops. 

To address your point we are going to be tight with cash… I do not disagree. But likely look for a restructure for Wentz and probably Grover. Plus the addition of Doyle cap if he retires. You could easily do some good contract numbers with restructures and add say 10+ mil for this year. 

Now based on the OP which is talking about top pass catchers I am not going to debate why he would come here. The point of conversation is assuming he did. 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:41 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t really see any WR lining up to come catch passes from Carson Wentz. Remember that FA is more about where the player wants to go, and not who has the money. I’ve said this in another topic, but people are eventually going to realize that Indy is not an attractive market.

In the NFL?  It's most definitely about who has the money.  The list of premier free agents signings with crap teams in crappy cities is miles long.  It's a mich different scenario than other sports.  In the NFL, 9/10 times, players go where they can get the biggest bag.

On 1/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, MikeCurtis said:

The quick math

37.75M Cap

5M  Rookie sign pool

22M  New WR

10.75 M left

That leaves you 17M left

Money is no problem.  I know it's hard to grasp, but if they decide to go for broke, this teams in a much better position to swing for the fences cap and cash wise, than many teams who actually have pulled the trigger and gone balls out in the off-season over the last ten years or so....

4 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

In the NFL?  It's most definitely about who has the money.  The list of premier free agents signings with crap teams in crappy cities is miles long.  It's a mich different scenario than other sports.  In the NFL, 9/10 times, players go where they can get the biggest bag.

On defense maybe. But on offense. People look at other factors. No FA WR is coming to Indy if Wentz is the QB. You really think Godwin will come here if we jus throw money at him?

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

On defense maybe. But on offense. People look at other factors. No FA WR is coming to Indy if Wentz is the QB. You really think Godwin will come here if we jus throw money at him?

Actually I think he would.  Wentz is not top five but only five teams have those guys.  Jimmy G got to a championship game this year.  So it’s not out of the question.  We are a team that is ready to make a run now.  I’m sure he knows that.  And I’m sure he and any WR that would receive an offer would view themselves as a missing piece to that run.  So I think he would come here.  That said the  money has to be there for the top guys.  No question.

I do think that some of us are downplaying how high up WR and TE are in terms of our needs. I think TE & WR are 1 & 2 actually (assuming we give Eric Fisher another go at it). I rate those above S, CB, DE, QB. Tight End AND Wideout cannot both be a top 4 need for a winning team.

If you ask me, I prefer going big at TE and getting a B/B- tier WR; I'm okay with giving Pitt a proper go at proving he can be a true true #1 for the future (I'm not convinced yet). Probably cheaper that way also? We absolutely need a reliable pass catching TE to make contested catches for our inaccurate QB.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Inexcusable?    You’re telling me what you think we need….    I understand.   I’m simply saying I don’t think we can come close to affording that kind of player.   

We have to pay Nelson, that’s $20m per. 
We have to pay a LT, that’s likely $10m+ per. 
We likely have to pay Rock, that’s about $8m per.   There are about 15-20 guys on our roster that are FA, and we’d like to bring back.  
The salary cap math simply isn’t in our favor. 

I do think it's inexcusable to not make obtaining a PROVEN TE or WR our top priority (outside of LT) when: those are both top 4 needs; our QB clearly can't lift the team; we're supposedly "all in", etc...

Yeah I admittedly don't know how much money we have to throw around right now. Are we projected to be around the middle of the pack? That's what I'm assuming. 

2 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

I do think it's inexcusable to not make obtaining a PROVEN TE or WR our top priority (outside of LT) when: those are both top 4 needs; our QB clearly can't lift the team; we're supposedly "all in", etc...

Yeah I admittedly don't know how much money we have to throw around right now. Are we projected to be around the middle of the pack? That's what I'm assuming. 

I think we are currently around top 8-10 in money.   But it has been steadily shrinking.   Now reportedly in the $36-40 mill range.  Not too long ago we were in the mid-50’s…

Remember, we still have Nelson to sign, a LT to sign, Rock to likely extend, and about 20 of our own FA to re-sign.   I expect some contracts will be re-worked to generate more cap space.   But still….  I don’t see an expensive player being signed no matter the apparent need.   I’m basing on what Ballard had historically done and what he said at his year ender.   

On 1/26/2022 at 12:02 PM, NorthernColt said:

This. People don't seem to remember this when projecting receivers signing somewhere. Their entire success relies on the QB.

Especially a guy like A Robinson that people keep projecting to us. I'd bet anything he isn't signing here, unless we go get a Wilson or Rodgers before hand. This guy has played his entire career with trash QBs, now he finally gets to pick where he plays... he sure as hell ain't coming here to catch balls from Wentz lol

FA wrs have signed with crap qbs since FA has been a thing.  Sure, if the money is the same and youhave offers from teams starting TB or Jamarcus Russell, but if those Raiders offer a.few more years and substantially more cash than Belichick back in the day?  The guy is wearing silver and black....  

That's a pure hypothetical and I know the pats used to bring guys in on below market value deals....but those were mostly reclamation projects and diamond in the rough guys before they signed.... 

• 3 weeks later...

The Packers might put the franchise tag on Davante Adams; I think they're going to try to keep him. 

No one knows if Calvin Ridley will play again. The Falcons don't have any news on him , so may as well give that idea up until we hear different. 

Allen Robinson would be a good signing, I also would like Michael Gallup, or Gabriel Davis. 

Yay or nay? 

I feel like there will be an overwhelming “nay” and that’s totally understandable. He’s never been consistent. But could our low volume pass attack cancel that out?

He’s probably going to want the most money out of all the free agent wideouts so there’s probably very little chance. 

He would compliment Pitt very nice though.

20 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Yay or nay? 

I feel like there will be an overwhelming “nay” and that’s totally understandable. He’s never been consistent. But could our low volume pass attack cancel that out?

He’s probably going to want the most money out of all the free agent wideouts so there’s probably very little chance. 

Cooper, MPJ and a heathy Campbell would be a very good receiving core. Add Zach Ertz at TE .

25 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Yay or nay? 

Think he’s due $20 mil at the moment. But who knows. 

On 1/26/2022 at 8:46 AM, 07dleigh said:

We MUST, right? I understand that Ballard does not value them very much, he's shown this clearly in the business he does. I understand that he believes that we can be great without elite pass-catchers, I actually genuinely understand it. I am in the minority (I think) that believes that a run HEAVY, time-of-possession playstyle can be a championship caliber team in today's NFL. I'm not here to criticize Ballard,

HOWEVER,

We MUST now, right? Hilton is on his way out. Doyle is on his way out. Even if one of those guys decide to give it another go, we MUST go A tier at this point. Not middle of the pack affordable like we usually do (especially at those positions.) I think now there is just no way around it, I think we finally bring in that BIG name WR or TE, and I'm excited about it. (I'm still debating how much I actually THINK we will, I just know that if we don't, when we commence the annual off-season burn-everything-down, I will finally be part of the uprising LOL).

We cannot go slightly above average wideout and slightly above average TE, ONE of the two bust be top end of the position. Seeing as we don't have capital to draft one, it has to be a FA. Wonder who that may be....

Seriously Doubt it....and doubt we get a speedy, vertical TE that truly is a weapon. Maybe a Ertz type or Ertz himself. 

....but I do think both positions will be upgraded but not as much as we hope or need to.

On 3/4/2022 at 12:39 PM, 07dleigh said:

Yay or nay? 

I would vote no on Cooper or any other high priced receiver this year for that matter. I'd prefer the Colts to spend big money elsewhere this offseason.

I would rather see the Colts spend money on a veteran pass rusher and sign a cheaper veteran wide receiver. Then in the draft go for receiver early. I really like some of the receivers in this draft and I think the Colts are in a good spot to land one in the second round.

I would also be more inclined to spend money on a veteran tight end as I think that is a bigger than receiver.  

On 3/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, Reggie said:

I would vote no on Cooper or any other high priced receiver this year for that matter. I'd prefer the Colts to spend big money elsewhere this offseason.

I would rather see the Colts spend money on a veteran pass rusher and sign a cheaper veteran wide receiver. Then in the draft go for receiver early. I really like some of the receivers in this draft and I think the Colts are in a good spot to land one in the second round.

I would also be more inclined to spend money on a veteran tight end as I think that is a bigger than receiver.  

On 3/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Seriously Doubt it....and doubt we get a speedy, vertical TE that truly is a weapon. Maybe a Ertz type or Ertz himself. 

....but I do think both positions will be upgraded but not as much as we hope or need to.

I get where you guys are coming from. The DNA of this team would agree with the both of you. I do also agree that the TE hole is larger than than the WR hole. Heck, really even Ertz at this stage in his career would be a bigger skill position acquisition than we've made in... idek. 

I just feel like instead of adding an underwhelming Marques Valdes-Scantling with a James O'Shaughnessy per this teams recent behavior, we'll see a Mike Williams/Robinson + O'Shaughnessy OR a Valdes-Scantling + Ertz/Njoku.

I think (hope) that Ballard has done some Irsay fueled reflection and we'll finally add a guy with actual pedigree or production in this league. I guess this all depends on if we're ACTUALLY going "all chips in" (which I guess depends first on if we can even find a QB that we're comfy going "all chips in" with.)

I am probably wrong and we're going Marques Valdes-Scantling and James O'Shaughnessy LOL

With the quality of guys coming in from college, why would we pay for ANY of the FA receivers?? Furthermore, why would you pay for a WR BEFORE you have a firm idea who your QB is? Right now, at best, we know who it will NOT be.

53 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

I just feel like instead of adding an underwhelming Marques Valdes-Scantling with a James O'Shaughnessy per this teams recent behavior, we'll see a Mike Williams/Robinson + O'Shaughnessy OR a Valdes-Scantling + Ertz/Njoku.

Njoku was tagged by Cleveland. 

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

With the quality of guys coming in from college, why would we pay for ANY of the FA receivers?? Furthermore, why would you pay for a WR BEFORE you have a firm idea who your QB is? Right now, at best, we know who it will NOT be.

Because we have limited early picks, and if there if there is value in round 2 at OT or DB, that's where we should go imo, rather than making our addition to our horrendous WR group a guy that may not even contribute.

But agreed, like I said, QB comes first in terms of if we're ACTUALLY all in; If we are, I don't think another rookie cuts it, our group needs help bad... and immediately.

1 minute ago, 07dleigh said:

Because we have limited early picks, and if there if there is value in round 2 at OT or DB, that's where we should go imo, rather than making our addition to our horrendous WR group a guy that may not even contribute.

But agreed, like I said, QB comes first in terms of if we're ACTUALLY all in; If we are, I don't think another rookie cuts it, our group needs help bad... and immediately.

There'll be GOOD receivers available down to the 4th and maybe even 5th round in this class. Doesnt have to be a 1st or 2nd rounder. I think it's a deep class.

1 minute ago, 07dleigh said:

Ah. Ok, thanks. I liked him as a combination of upside + not having quite lived up to it yet. Thought he wouldn't be too expensive.

I would not have minded grabbing him but his price tag would probably be more than you think. I’m not what not expensive is to you though. 

15 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

There'll be GOOD receivers available down to the 4th and maybe even 5th round in this class. Doesnt have to be a 1st or 2nd rounder. I think it's a deep class.

Is it a deep class? Well that's good. I'll admit I haven't started doing any draft homework, I was much lower on college ball than I usually am this season. I just know that we need an immediate contribution/dynamism. 

6 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Is it a deep class? Well that's good. I'll admit I haven't started doing any draft homework, I was much lower on college ball than I usually am this season. I just know that we need an immediate contribution/dynamism. 

I think we're going to see some serious WR classes over the course of the next few seasons. There's just too much talent coming in.

Archived