Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tonights game in Buffalo! (Burrrrrrr!!!!): Patriots@ Bills Game Thread, Jan 15, 2022

NewColtsFan

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Pats don’t match up well against them.  They don’t have a run game.

What planet are you from? The run game and playing D formula with timely passing is what won the Pats games. Did you forget all the running they did during their 7 game winning streak and the 47 run plays vs 3 pass plays vs Bills at Buffalo on MNF? 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

What planet are you from? The run game and playing D formula with timely passing is what won the Pats games. Did you forget all the running they did during their 7 game winning streak and the 47 run plays vs 3 pass plays vs Bills at Buffalo on MNF? 

They don’t win that game with only throwing 3 passes if that wind hadn’t been a factor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They don’t win that game with only throwing 3 passes if that wind hadn’t been a factor.

True but the run game is a staple of their offense. We actually matched up well vs the Patriots run game that’s their strength. Mac Jones and their passing game is not their strength.

Teams had not been able to play ahead vs the Patriots. Once we did that, every team has been able to execute that formula and force Mac Jones to play from behind. Their D has also lost its shine a bit. Judon - no sacks in the last 4 games, they lost last 3 out of 4

This was a perfect match up for the Bills.  Pats have no run game and a rookie QB.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

And the Pats come out passing instead of running.  What does that tell you?   They have no confidence in their run game.  They want to throw the ball.  The elements in the first game contributed to the decision to run and it worked.  They got away with it then.  Pretty hard for a rookie to get into a shootout with Allen at home.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This was a perfect match up for the Bills.  Pats have no run game and a rookie QB.

And the Pats come out passing instead of running.  What does that tell you?   They have no confidence in their run game.  They want to throw the ball.  The elements in the first game contributed to the decision to run and it worked.  They got away with it then.  Pretty hard for a rookie to get into a shootout with Allen at home.

They overthought and failed instead of keeping it simple for the rookie and going back to what won them games.

Epic fail for Josh McDaniels. But then, if they can’t stop Allen, they remembered how he ripped them apart at hone. On the road, they should have stayed patient. But if your D can’t stop Allen, you’re cooked. Their D eroded over the last few games, it’s not the same D, even Tua ripped it apart.

The Patriots were Top 8 in rushing O:

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2021/reg/all

Now their D doesn’t give them the same luxury 

3 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Allen is incredible

It was weird, a lot of people (myself included) weren't all that excited about the pick in 2018, and he was pretty bad his rookie year, and that year it looked like like the Bills were returning to the darkness of the NFL for a while. 2019 they make the playoffs but was largely the defense that got them there, Allen was average at best that season. Then last season happens and he just cranked it up 10 notches, I don't think his improvement last year was on anyone's bingo card.

There was a Raiders game last year where he got hurt and came out for a play, it was probably the first time my heart skipped a few beats over something happening to him...

1 minute ago, buffalo34 said:

It was weird, a lot of people (myself included) weren't all that excited about the pick in 2018, and he was pretty bad his rookie year, it looks like the Bills were returning to the darkness of the NFL for a while. 2019 they make the playoffs but was largely the defense that got them there, Allen was average at best that season. Then last season happens and he just cranked it up 10 notches, I didn't expect a whole lot out of him that season either, I think the first time I got worried about missing Allen was a Raiders game last year, got hurt and came out for a play, I thought our season was going to grind to a halt for a split moment...

Well he's sure stepped it up.  I love watching him!

It was weird, a lot of people (myself included) weren't all that excited about the pick in 2018, and he was pretty bad his rookie year, it looks like the Bills were returning to the darkness of the NFL for a while. 2019 they make the playoffs but was largely the defense that got them there, Allen was average at best that season. Then last season happens and he just cranked it up 10 notches, I didn't expect a whole lot out of him that season either, I think the first time I got worried about missing Allen was a Raiders game last year, got hurt and came out for a play, I thought our season was going to grind to a halt for a split moment...

Last season happened for one reason.  They traded for Diggs and everything changed for Allen and the Bills.  A big time playmaker arrived and changed everything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Bills with a running game should scare everyone. Titans are the happiest knowing they will only play one of the Bills or Chiefs :(

Chiefs might lose again to the Bills.

Eh, I'm pretty worried about that game should it happened, when the Bills beat the Chiefs earlier in the season it was when the Chiefs were struggling, the Chiefs look like they're back to their usual selves now. Not only that, but not having Tre'Davious White would really hurt against a team like the Chiefs.

Just keep them out of the endzone, don't want back to back TDs here...

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Last season happened for one reason.  They traded for Diggs and everything changed for Allen and the Bills.  A big time playmaker arrived and changed everything.

I was a huge fan of Diggs. We drafted him in the 5th round and we knew be was special in training camp. I was not pleased to trade him but at least he was replaced by another stud, Justin Jefferson.

(Watching the game) Jerry Hughes still making an impact.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

@buffalo34

Is Leslie Frazier, former Vikes head coach, credited with helping this defense or is McDermott in charge of the defense?

Hm, not sure about that, I know McDermott came from a defensive background (as the Panthers DC when we hired him), Frazier's been with the team since McDermott was hired, so maybe both?

Hm, not sure about that, I know McDermott came from a defensive background (as the Panthers DC when we hired him), Frazier's been with the team since McDermott was hired, so maybe both?

Who calls the defensive plays?

10 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:

Okay, I found my answer. 

On buffalobills.com:

"For the first time in 22 seasons the Bills have the No. 1 defense in the NFL. Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier led a unit that did not have a single player named to the Pro Bowl to the top ranking not only in total defense, but six other major defensive categories including points allowed, pass defense and third down defense.

"I'm super proud of those guys, but let me just make sure I'm clear here," said head coach Sean McDermott. "Leslie Frazier runs the defense and I want to give credit where credit is due. This is not Sean McDermott's defense, this is Leslie's defense."

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-defense-ends-the-2021-regular-season-as-the-nfl-s-best