Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich appreciation thread

CR91

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we can win a SB within the next 2 or 3 years but it will take luck to get it done. We have to keep drafting well, hope Wentz stays healthy, and Taylor has 3 or 4 dominant years like Henry has. I am hoping we keep adding pass rushers the next 2 or 3 years and get that 1 CB that can cover in a great way. Wentz can win a SB, he has more talent than Eli Manning who won 2, and he is actually better than a Joe Flacco IMO. He is better than Foles too, Foles took his spotlight.

The problem with comparing Wentz with Eli and Flacco is this…..

Both quarterbacks had great defenses to support them.  Much better than the defense the Colts currently have.   Maybe someday (hopefully soon) the Colts will have a defense that’s worthy of winning a Super Bowl.   But for right now, it’s likely good enough to get into the playoffs.   How much better than that they can be is anyones guess….

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with comparing Wentz with Eli and Flacco is this…..

Both quarterbacks had great defenses to support them.  Much better than the defense the Colts currently have.   Maybe someday (hopefully soon) the Colts will have a defense that’s worthy of winning a Super Bowl.   But for right now, it’s likely good enough to get into the playoffs.   How much better than that they can be is anyones guess….

We are a PRS and CB away(plus health) from having a very good defense.  We see flashes of it already. If there ever was a time to spend on a FA, a very good CB this offseason would be nice.  I doubt it happens but it makes sense if one is available.  

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

We are a PRS and CB away(plus health) from having a very good defense.  We see flashes of it already. If there ever was a time to spend on a FA, a very good CB this offseason would be nice.  I doubt it happens but it makes sense if one is available.  

I think we’re a few more defensive players away.   Plus so many guys that we either have, or hope to bring back, have to take their game to another level.   

All the DE’s, and I mean all of them, including the tweeners.   At LB, Okereke, Speed and Franklin all have to improve.   And the same with the entire secondary.   Lots of players still need to elevate their play.  Just playing at their current level isn’t enough.   

There's a difference between playoff level (where I think we’re reaching) and championship game level or Super Bowl level.  Our defense scares no one.   It’d be nice if our D made a significant jump.  

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we’re a few more defensive players away.   Plus so many guys that we either have, or hope to bring back, have to take their game to another level.   

All the DE’s, and I mean all of them, including the tweeners.   At LB, Okereke, Speed and Franklin all have to improve.   And the same with the entire secondary.   Lots of players still need to elevate their play.  Just playing at their current level isn’t enough.   

There's a difference between playoff level (where I think we’re reaching) and championship game level or Super Bowl level.  Our defense scares no one.   It’d be nice if our D made a significant jump.  

Definitely room for improvement and hopefully that will come naturally as players gain more experience.  I believe right now we are a top 10 scoring defense.  

Frank has grown on me.  Honestly what he's done so far this season might be his best coaching job to date as well, just keeping this team together and building them back into a playoff team.  Lot of folks were writing them off not too long ago.

Still a ways to go which will determine this season and grade for him but I like the guy and think he can get it done.  He's not an elite head coach, at least not yet, I think he's still growing in the job.  But he's also a genuinely good person and all around strong coach.  I'd stick with him for sure if I'm the GM and that is regardless of whether this year includes the playoffs.  Stay the course and keep building the roster and hope you end up being that team that everything falls in place for.

Clearly the biggest beef the fans have with Frank may be his biggest strength. The play calling complaint usually occurs during a losing effort when a couple of Frank's surprises don't work. When they do work the Colts win. The fact that the fans are surprised by a Reich call usually means the opposing team was surprised also. His unpredictability is the strength to which I am referring. Being predictable in the NFL will get a team beat. Frank and Chris Ballard have also put together a squad of hard working reliable, team-first people. This leads to trust which leads to team play which leads to wins. I will now leave my soapbox.

2 hours ago, bleevit said:

Clearly the biggest beef the fans have with Frank may be his biggest strength. The play calling complaint usually occurs during a losing effort when a couple of Frank's surprises don't work. When they do work the Colts win. The fact that the fans are surprised by a Reich call usually means the opposing team was surprised also. His unpredictability is the strength to which I am referring. Being predictable in the NFL will get a team beat. Frank and Chris Ballard have also put together a squad of hard working reliable, team-first people. This leads to trust which leads to team play which leads to wins. I will now leave my soapbox.

Shelving your best player for very long periods is not really akin to unpredictable. 

Reich is a good coach for not being an all time great coach.  He has a useful set of positive attributes that will tend towards a football team that wins more games than it loses.  He understands that football games are won in the trenches and he prepares his team to win that way.  He gets buy-in from his players.  His teams are well organized and make good use of available talent.  he's not a genius, but he's a good solid coach who is an asset to his team.  

As for flaws they're minor.  A little too rigid/stubborn at times.  Needs to make adjustments quicker.  Tends to give up on the run a bit too early for a team that's built to grind.  Nothing earth shattering.  

Honestly I think he'll probably coach here as long as he wants to.

I like Frank and I think some of the criticism of his play calling is unwarranted: there’s a difference between saying “we should have kicked a field goal” and saying; “Reich needs to hand over the play calling “.

There’s going to be calls that don’t work (sometimes because of lack of execution) but that shouldn’t negate the creative calls in the same game. 
     Pete Carol had his gaffe not running Marshawn Lynch

Bill Belichick had his 4th and two.

Every coach who ever coached probably has play calls they regret.

You’d better believe he had something to do with the Eagles winning a SB. Frank Reich can get us a championship in Indy.

3 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I like Frank and I think some of the criticism of his play calling is unwarranted: there’s a difference between saying “we should have kicked a field goal” and saying; “Reich needs to hand over the play calling “.

There’s going to be calls that don’t work (sometimes because of lack of execution) but that shouldn’t negate the creative calls in the same game. 
     Pete Carol had his gaffe not running Marshawn Lynch

Bill Belichick had his 4th and two.

Every coach who ever coached probably has play calls they regret.

You’d better believe he had something to do with the Eagles winning a SB. Frank Reich can get us a championship in Indy.

Yeah some people in here act like Frank is the only coach in the league that goes for it a lot. Last night proves otherwise. Even Harbaugh went for a 2 at Pitt to try and win. I can come up with many more examples where coaches have went for it on 4th down's or went for 2. I like it when Frank goes for it most of the time but it depends on the situation as well. I think on 4th and goal from the 5, you take 3. 4th and goal from the 1 you go for it if a Taylor is on your team. Even if you don't use Taylor on 4th and goal from the 1, defenses will key on that so it opens up a lot. 

Archived