Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts workout Randall and Addae

Zoltan

Looks like the Colts brought in Jahleel Addae and Damarious Randall for a workout today.

Anybody remember them much, Addae is another Strong Safety what y'all think of Randall.

@EastStreet you usually have some good info

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/10/25/22745993/colts-work-out-6-players-on-monday-including-veteran-dbs-jahleel-addae-and-damarious-randall

14 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Looks like the Colts brought in Jahleel Addae and Damarious Randall for a workout today.

Anybody remember them much, Addae is another Strong Safety what y'all think of Randall.

@EastStreet you usually have some good info

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/10/25/22745993/colts-work-out-6-players-on-monday-including-veteran-dbs-jahleel-addae-and-damarious-randall

Randall is an interesting guy. Have to think he'd be a better option at FS than using one of our SSs... 

• Took the long road in college (CCs/Jucos), and ended up playing FS at ASU. 
  • He was graded one of the top FSs in the 2015 draft, but GB drafted him in the 1st with the intension of playing him at CB instead of FS... Somewhat like we did with Tell, although not near as early. He's got good speed.
  • Traded to the Browns after year 3, and the Browns exercised his 5th year option. Played pretty well there both years, but was not resigned. 
  • Signed briefly to LVR, then bounced to Seattle in 2020. Didn't find a home this year.
  • Definitely a FS option.... 

Addae

• Small school kid who started out at RB, then WR, then CB. He's not that fast (4.6s), and played SS in the NFL.
  • Played pretty well for LAC for several years before bouncing around. He's older (31ish), but might be a depth guy. 
  • Definitely not a guy you want at FS.... I'm fine with Sendejo and Willis as 2 deep at SS.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Randall is an interesting guy. Have to think he'd be a better option at FS than using one of our SSs... 

• Took the long road in college (CCs/Jucos), and ended up playing FS at ASU. 
  • He was graded one of the top FSs in the 2015 draft, but GB drafted him in the 1st with the intension of playing him at CB instead of FS... Somewhat like we did with Tell, although not near as early. He's got good speed.
  • Traded to the Browns after year 3, and the Browns exercised his 5th year option. Played pretty well there both years, but was not resigned. 
  • Signed briefly to LVR, then bounced to Seattle in 2020. Didn't find a home this year.
  • Definitely a FS option.... 

Addae

• Small school kid who started out at RB, then WR, then CB. He's not that fast (4.6s), and played SS in the NFL.
  • Played pretty well for LAC for several years before bouncing around. He's older (31ish), but might be a depth guy. 
  • Definitely not a guy you want at FS.... I'm fine with Sendejo and Willis as 2 deep at SS.

Sounds like Randall might be our best option

18 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Sounds like Randall might be our best option

Randall is the better of the two if we're looking for FS help. 

Addae is not bad SS depth, just not a no-brainer upgrade over what we have. Good guy though.

And IMO, FS should be our absolute priority right now. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Addae is not bad SS depth, just not a no-brainer upgrade over what we have. Good guy though.

I agree, Randall is who I would sign for FS help.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I agree, Randall is who I would sign for FS help.

I absolutely agree. I loved him as a prospect at FS and was really confused when GB drafted him as a CB. He's definitely excelled when playing FS and I think our scheme would be a good fit for him. He could be the type of mid-season signing that ends up making a big impact as the season progresses.

Randall is a pretty solid fit and i think hes been in this scheme before under Steve Wilks or Gregg Williams.  How close is Marvell Tell to being healthy? You would think hes a candidate as well. Although Ballard seems to want him at corner. Seemed like a pretty decent FS to me coming out of USC

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Agreed. We got away with having 2 SS's in the niners game since the weather was taking away the passing game for the most part. 

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Nice vet  signing 

Everyone thought Randall would make the most sense and yet again Ballard signs another SS.  I have said it before Ballard loves Blackmon and he is our guy.  The depth behind him is adequate but not great.  I’m more concerned about CB and pass rush.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Everyone thought Randall would make the most sense and yet again Ballard signs another SS.  I have said it before Ballard loves Blackmon and he is our guy.  The depth behind him is adequate but not great.  I’m more concerned about CB and pass rush.  

Does adequate cut it?

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Does adequate cut it?

I think so.  It’s very hard for teams to be able to afford great backups at every position.  They have to be able to play ST’s too.  You want your backups to be adequate at a minimum.  For me Davenport is not even adequate.  I think our backup  safeties are.  I think Blackmon has a chance to be great as he is only in his 2nd year.

He was an UDFA who made the Chargers team in 2013, eventually becoming a starter and lasting 6 seasons before getting cut in 2018, playing a year Houston and then going back to the Chargers for a year. He's a thumper, and he's been starting for the majority of his career.

12 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

He was an UDFA who made the Chargers team in 2013, eventually becoming a starter and lasting 6 seasons before getting cut in 2018, playing a year Houston and then going back to the Chargers for a year. He's a thumper, and he's been starting for the majority of his career.

Which isn't really what we need at safety, but I realize we don't really play traditional FS ND allow them to be rangy ball hawks.....so, at least this guy is an experienced body.

17 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Is he the dude Hilton burnt for a game winning TD against the Chargers a few years back?

If you're talking about the game in September of 2016, that was Adrian Phillips who Hilton outran, after breaking an attempted tackle by rookie Dexter McCoil.

Oh yeah Blackmon is here to stay. I would be extremely surprised if he was replaced. I think we will continue to see average or slightly below average depth at FS, until we get a hybrid backup that can play both at a decent level. 

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Oh yeah Blackmon is here to stay. I would be extremely surprised if he was replaced. I think we will continue to see average or slightly below average depth at FS, until we get a hybrid backup that can play both at a decent level. 

Unless he keeps getting injured. To have two big injuries like this isn’t a good sign for his furure.

5 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I've never looked hard at the changes made to the PS rules, but golly, if a guy with that much experience can be signed to the PS then the PS has in many ways simply become an extension of the roster.

49 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

My post had nothing to do with Hooker. It was about Blackmon having two big injuries like this already in his career.

ballarad hasn't shown a pattern on giving up on players because of injuries. The only guy he really let walk so far is hooker, and blackmon is the guy who replaced him. 

51 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

My post had nothing to do with Hooker. It was about Blackmon having two big injuries like this already in his career.

I know that. I was just saying seems like Ballard likes ss safeties with ball hawking skills. Interchangeable safeties

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

ballarad hasn't shown a pattern on giving up on players because of injuries. The only guy he really let walk so far is hooker, and blackmon is the guy who replaced him. 

I never said he would. But to think he will have a long career in Indy is yet to be determined. Its not a good start to have a ACL and A Achilles in 2.5 years.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I never said he would. But to think he will have a long career in Indy is yet to be determined. Its not a good start to have a ACL and A Achilles in 2.5 years.

ok i get what you're saying but its kinda meaningless..

we have to wait for everything that happens in the future, this is not unique to 32. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I've never looked hard at the changes made to the PS rules, but golly, if a guy with that much experience can be signed to the PS then the PS has in many ways simply become an extension of the roster.

The rules were changed a year ago, with the notable being that teams could now have up to six players with more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit.

So limited on how many experienced players you can stash, cant have 16 vets waiting to come up. Our team doesnt have many vets floating around : Dennard,Josh Jones Malik Jefferson and Keke Coutee.

Im surprised we signed Wolfe with Jacobson and Green already TE's on practice squad.

10 hours ago, Shive said:

I absolutely agree. I loved him as a prospect at FS and was really confused when GB drafted him as a CB. He's definitely excelled when playing FS and I think our scheme would be a good fit for him. He could be the type of mid-season signing that ends up making a big impact as the season progresses.

I'd have to look at schemes deeper (from where he's been), but he does seem like a guy that might find some rejuvenation in our scheme. 

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Agreed. We got away with having 2 SS's in the niners game since the weather was taking away the passing game for the most part. 

Yup. Jimmy G is pretty meh to begin with, but the weather really dialed things back. Deebo only had one deep one IIRC, but was open a lot deep. Aiyuk wasn't really a factor. They had guys open all night though, so our DBs/LBs kinda got away with one.

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Jimmy G is pretty meh to begin with, but the weather really dialed things back. Deebo only had one deep one IIRC, but was open a lot deep. Aiyuk wasn't really a factor. They had guys open all night though, so our DBs/LBs kinda got away with one.

They don't use aiyuk to the fullest or deebo either

We have brought in Josh Jones, Darqueze Dennard and now Addae within last week so addressing the DB with experienced vets , not with a true F.S. like we hoped but solid low costs vets. Would be nice if we found a keeper or two.  Jury still out on Sendajo , think Jordan Lucas may be out a bit.

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

They're limited by their QB IMO. And Shanahan is limited by JG too. 

If Lance can develop, he's going to open up a lot of things for SF.

What is Lance better at than Jimmy?  He is a faster runner.  Ok.  Who cares.   Can he read a defense?   What does Lance open up for the 49ers?

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What is Lance better at than Jimmy?  He is a faster runner.  Ok.  Who cares.   Can he read a defense?   What does Lance open up for the 49ers?

He has the bigger arm so he would in theory be able to open up the deep passing attack more than Jimmy. By being a runner he also opens up more option plays and can force defenders to spy him which opens up the middle. He didn't say Lance was better than JG. He said with development he can open up their offense more. Obviously the 9ers think his ceiling is higher than Jimmy's. 

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

LOL.. first of all I said "if Lance can develop".. 

Lance was primarily know for 3 things in the draft. 1) his crazy stats including a lot of passing and rushing TDs, 2) he's a high football IQ kid, and 3) he hasn't played a lot of football and would need patience.

And yes, he is faster lol. Read defenses? He could do that very well in college. He was responsible for calling his own protections and was said to be good at reads and progressions. Known as a film junky. 

There's a reason he went early 1st, and a reason JG went late 2nd. JG can be good at times with short quick stuff, but he's very limited. Lance, again, if developed, brings a lot of different things. Not sure if he will develop, but the assumed ceiling is much higher.

12 minutes ago, life long said:

He has the bigger arm so he would in theory be able to open up the deep passing attack more than Jimmy. By being a runner he also opens up more option plays and can force defenders to spy him which opens up the middle. He didn't say Lance was better than JG. He said with development he can open up their offense more. Obviously the 9ers think his ceiling is higher than Jimmy's. 

I like Jimmy G, mainly because Brady forced him out of New England and then tried to get SF to move to him instead of JG and they shut his * down..anyone Brady hates I support....screw that cheating *

Archived