Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where will this draft take us?

WithSomeLuck12

So this draft is huge for so many people and the colts in general. Grigs could look like a hero if he does well and be booed for years if he's picks are busts. We all know we'll be taking a QB. That's a whole different arguement. So my question is where do we go with the rest of the draft? All offense, defense, or a mix? Would love a Luck/Hill combo with the first and 34th picks.

Rounds:

1. QB (Obviously Luck)

2. WR (Sanu, Jeffery, Wright, Hill)

3. TE (Green or Charles)

4. CB (Would like Keith Tandy)

5. OT/OG (David Molk or Phillip Blake)

6. NT (Praying Nicholas Jean-Baptiste is available)

7. FB (Evan Rodriguez), TE (Best available tight end), and best offensive lineman available.

I am hoping we go mostly offense with a need or two in defense.

I don't think Grigson will be judged on Luck at all. Probably 30 out of 32 NFL GMs and owners would take Luck overall, so it's kind of disingenuous to come back four years later and say that Grigson missed if Luck busts. That's highly doubtful, of course, but even if it should happen, Luck is the smart money.

The other picks will be much more interesting and gradable in coming years. I expect immediate contributions from our top four picks, in some capacity. That said, I don't see why we should focus on either side of the ball. We should be adding players all over the field, because we have needs all over the field. We need a receiver, a tight end, a defensive lineman or two, players in the secondary, a linebacker or two, etc.

I hope to see a special teams maven in there, someone who flies down the field past blockers and makes big tackles. I also would like to finally see a good return guy, but that's kind of a hit-and-miss proposition in the draft. Those guys can come from UDFAs and camp invite.

So this draft is huge for so many people and the colts in general. Grigs could look like a hero if he does well and be booed for years if he's picks are busts. We all know we'll be taking a QB. That's a whole different arguement. So my question is where do we go with the rest of the draft? All offense, defense, or a mix? Would love a Luck/Hill combo with the first and 34th picks.

You're right, this is a huge draft. I'm going to assume that our #1 pick is a lock as a pro (please, no Raider jokes), so we're counting on our 2nd and 3rd rounders to work their way in as starters. Preferably this season. 4-7 as backups.

So, what spots can we start a rookie at this year? TE, CB, NT are obvious, it usually takes a WR a while to start, so those are my wishes.

After that, BPA would be fine by me.

Rounds:

1. QB (Obviously Luck)

3. TE (Green or Charles)

7. FB (Evan Rodriguez), TE (Best available tight end), and best offensive lineman available.

I like the positions of WR & TE in rounds 2 and 3.

I would rather have a Luck/Fleener combo, since we already have Reggie at the WR. Luck and Fleener have a lot of chemistry with each other and Fleener has a lot of talent, not to mention that WR is not a big need, maybe not even a need at all.

don't think Hill will be there @ 34 .. just saw this on rotoworld:... I ahve seen many mocks that show him going in the 1st.. I would love to have fleener @34

The Baltimore Sun expects the Ravens to use an early-round draft pick on a wide receiver.

The article highlights Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill as a potential target at No. 29. Ravens director of college scouting Joe Hortiz recently suggested that it will be a "process" for Hill to learn an NFL offense, however, so he doesn't figure to offer much immediate help. The Sun also suggests that the player picked would be a replacement for Anquan Boldin after the 2012 season, but Hill projects as more of a deep threat, similar to Torrey Smith. Mohamed Sanu or Rueben Randle would make for a better fit.

I would rather have a Luck/Fleener combo, since we already have Reggie at the WR. Luck and Fleener have a lot of chemistry with each other and Fleener has a lot of talent, not to mention that WR is not a big need, maybe not even a need at all.

I agree with you. I think if Fleener is still on the board, I would love to see him go in round 2. TE is such a huge need right now.They know each other well. And this draft is pretty deep at WR, so I don't think WR is a position we have to take in round 2 to get a quality player.

We need to give Luck weapons to make him unstoppable.

Yep, but that won't necessarily come from this one draft. We picked Jerome Pathon in the 2nd round the year we took Peyton and while he was OK he wasn't anything special. We will have more opportunities to add weapons down the road. We need to get 3 sure fire starters out of this draft and it doesn't matter what position they play.

I don't think Grigson will be judged on Luck at all. Probably 30 out of 32 NFL GMs and owners would take Luck overall, so it's kind of disingenuous to come back four years later and say that Grigson missed if Luck busts. That's highly doubtful, of course, but even if it should happen, Luck is the smart money.

The other picks will be much more interesting and gradable in coming years. I expect immediate contributions from our top four picks, in some capacity. That said, I don't see why we should focus on either side of the ball. We should be adding players all over the field, because we have needs all over the field. We need a receiver, a tight end, a defensive lineman or two, players in the secondary, a linebacker or two, etc.

I hope to see a special teams maven in there, someone who flies down the field past blockers and makes big tackles. I also would like to finally see a good return guy, but that's kind of a hit-and-miss proposition in the draft. Those guys can come from UDFAs and camp invite.

I agree. I don't think we should restrict ourselves to only focusing on one side of the ball; go and select the best talent and the guy who can best make a contribution to the team for a long time

What if Grigson shocks us and goes completely BPA, regardless of position? One of our posters had the Eagles drafts since Grigson was there and he likes lineman for sure. He seems like the type that really gets into finding gems in the draft and not so much grabbing for need. When we're looking for WR's, he may see a better value at another position. I think that's the best way to build a team.

We need the QB obviously. But after that, we need a starting WR and TE out of this bunch and maybe a starting CB and/or OG out of this bunch for starters :).

Then, we need rotational bodies along the D-line for the 3-4, be it 3-4 DE and/or 3-4 NT. LBs, I actually will not mind one addition but for the most part, I like it.

So, technically the starters we need are QB, WR, TE/OG, and CB, IMO. Beyond that, everything else is gravy and we will have time to make it up.

Rounds:

1. QB (Obviously Luck)

3. TE (Green or Charles)

If Fleener is available at #2, I'd take him and do WR at #3 instead, but otherwise that looks great to me.

It's definitely a need. I don't think it is as big as CB or TE, but it is probably tied for 3rd on my need level. It all depends who's around at 34. If Jenkins, Fleener, Hill, Randle, Gilmore, Sanu or Jeffery are there at 34 we will all be very happy because in the end we are likely getting a very good player. I know the chemistry with Fleener is huge and would help Luck ease into playing, but I think Ladarius Green can do what Fleener did for Luck if we miss out on Fleener and land Green. This will be a very interesting draft. "Can't wait!" - Bart Scott

It's definitely a need. I don't think it is as big as CB or TE, but it is probably tied for 3rd on my need level. It all depends who's around at 34. If Jenkins, Fleener, Hill, Randle, Gilmore, Sanu or Jeffery are there at 34 we will all be very happy because in the end we are likely getting a very good player. I know the chemistry with Fleener is huge and would help Luck ease into playing, but I think Ladarius Green can do what Fleener did for Luck if we miss out on Fleener and land Green. This will be a very interesting draft. "Can't wait!" - Bart Scott

We have bodies at CB and WR (both spots need upgrades for sure) but we really don't have a receiving TE on the roster. It has to be Fleener in the 2nd, someone in the 3rd, or a FA to fill that spot.

The good thing about being bad is that just about any draft pick can fill a need. Going to be a fun draft, and an interesting preseason. I just hope the regular season keeps moving forward, if you know what I mean.

I think it depends on who is on the board. I get the feeling if Fleener or Jenkins is there at 34 we take them in that order. This isn't perhaps what I would do but I couldn't fault them. I do think that if not we would trade back and get more picks. Like so many have said we have so many needs all over the roster and anyone selected would be an upgrade. I think the first two rounds are extremely deep this year and we could find great value even back in the middle of the second round. If that allows us to get another 4th rounder or swap rounds with someone than GREAT. That is my assessment.

It will be hard to tell how the draft will go because I expect us to struggle and be back in the top 10 next year. I do expect the 1st and 2nd rounders to start and 3rd and 4th rounders to contribute.

I also look for something special out of the first pick in the third round. I definately expect a trade or really quality player here. Reason being is that pick is the first of day 2. We have all night to sit and refocus on that pick. All night to shop it for people itching for a player that fell. We should see something special out of that pick from Griggson if he has game. Kinda like having the first pick in the draft....all over again..and very enviable because we don't have to use it on any one person.

The number one help to provide a new QB is protection. Offensive line is the most direct way to protect. Next would probably be skill positions that can be his weapons, and then a defense that can create a lot of three and outs to get the ball back in the kids hands.

Andrew Luck and the "Best Player Available" from there on out...

Here's what I rank in terms of positions and their priority for earlier picks (This is NOT a list of what round I think they should go in!)

1.QB- For obvious reasons

2.TE- We don't have a proven starter for tight end. I'm not willing to just "give Eldridge a chance". However, as far as early picks go, I'd ONLY use one on Fleener.

3.CB- I feel like if we don't pick up a Cornerback in the 2nd or 3rd we'll really be missing out. From Janoris Jenkins to Flemming a good CB should be there.

4.RB- Yup. If certain talents aren't available we should pick up the best RB available. I like Brown-Carter, but people don't realize the risk we'd be taking with just them, neither is an every down back, so if we lose just one we need talented depth. No run game. No season!

5.OG- If the right guy is there. Since our FA added some depth to the line, I don't really see adding a late OG helping much. Yay more depth and no starters!

6.DT- I just don't think we're going to find our franchise NT anywhere in the first few picks. We may have to just pick up the best available one in a later pick. :P

7. WR-I'm getting the vibe that our FO is content with are receiving core til next year, sure if Hill, Jenkins, Streeter, Quick turn up take them, late round depth if not.

8.ILB- We have guys to rotate at LB, but we could use some some upgrades, However, similar to NT I don't think we're finding a big starter in this draft. get depth.

9. S- I would be shocked if this happened early, since it may not happen at all in the draft. A late rounder could be okay for depth, but that's it.

Finally some other than me saying that. I don't understand the WR-hype. To me it's a Blockbuster move, and it won't happen. Perhaps if there's a steal down the road, of course he'll be taken, but not in the early rounds. We have lots of needs. And CB and TE are the biggest, no doubt.

Here's what I rank in terms of positions and their priority for earlier picks (This is NOT a list of what round I think they should go in!)

1.QB- For obvious reasons

2.TE- We don't have a proven starter for tight end. I'm not willing to just "give Eldridge a chance". However, as far as early picks go, I'd ONLY use one on Fleener.

3.CB- I feel like if we don't pick up a Cornerback in the 2nd or 3rd we'll really be missing out. From Janoris Jenkins to Flemming a good CB should be there.

4.RB- Yup. If certain talents aren't available we should pick up the best RB available. I like Brown-Carter, but people don't realize the risk we'd be taking with just them, neither is an every down back, so if we lose just one we need talented depth. No run game. No season!

5.OG- If the right guy is there. Since our FA added some depth to the line, I don't really see adding a late OG helping much. Yay more depth and no starters!

6.DT- I just don't think we're going to find our franchise NT anywhere in the first few picks. We may have to just pick up the best available one in a later pick. :P

7. WR-I'm getting the vibe that our FO is content with are receiving core til next year, sure if Hill, Jenkins, Streeter, Quick turn up take them, late round depth if not.

8.ILB- We have guys to rotate at LB, but we could use some some upgrades, However, similar to NT I don't think we're finding a big starter in this draft. get depth.

9. S- I would be shocked if this happened early, since it may not happen at all in the draft. A late rounder could be okay for depth, but that's it.

I can buy that, except I don't think RB is that high of a need. We aren't going to get an elite RB in the draft (IMO there is only 1 anyway), and guys like we have are available in the later rounds or as FA's.

What I'm saying is that I don't see an upgrade at that position to be had. Other than that I'd move NT up above G, but I'm wordsmithing at that point.

Good job.

How is WR not a need at all? Wayne is 33, Collie is always injured, Avery has barely seen the field over the last few years, Gonzo + Garcon have gone, White didn't play at all in 2011...in what world/universe do we not need a wide receiver?!

How is WR not a need at all? Wayne is 33, Collie is always injured, Avery has barely seen the field over the last few years, Gonzo + Garcon have gone, White didn't play at all in 2011...in what world/universe do we not need a wide receiver?!

So what he's 33, he's just signed for three years. Which gives us...... 3 years to sign his replacement. Why rush the move? He's still probowl caliber. Collie isn't always hurt, look at last year. He played all 16 games. Avery I agree is a slight gamble, but his knee has healed and the injury is somewhat old now, and he has recovered. But we'll see on this one.

I don't follow your Gonzo is gone argument. He didn't catch ONE catch all season. And Garcon's replacement is Avery. We're pretty set, which gives space for our biggest needs = TE + CB.

And WR is still a need, I agree. But how does it beat the need of TE and CB? I see us drafting WR in later rounds, for two reasons. 1) the WR class is DEEP this year, and 2) we have bigger needs, plus I don't see a WR being BPA until later rounds.

I don't think this draft will define anything. I mean, this FO is walking into a tomb, the discarded husk of a once sterling era of football. We have needs at every position, so as long as they find some impact guys, it will bode well.

Expectations should be very low at this point.

Our 2011 draft with Castanzo, Ijalana, Nevis, Carter and Rucker will define us more in the short term, and maybe the long term too, based on potential which is all we can extrapolate based on while talking draft. Just a hunch.

I agree. I don't think we should restrict ourselves to only focusing on one side of the ball; go and select the best talent and the guy who can best make a contribution to the team for a long time

I'd have to respectfully disagree\\We stripped oursleves nearly naked on offense.

WE could start the season with what we have right now (before the draft) on defense

But but we need O-line depth. WR depth, TE depth, QB depth.

See what I'm saying?

Our 2011 draft with Castanzo, Ijalana, Nevis, Carter and Rucker will define us more in the short term, and maybe the long term too, based on potential which is all we can extrapolate based on while talking draft. Just a hunch.

Giving due respect to Polian..

That is going to turn out to be a very good draft ....I woiuld predict..

If we can get 5 eventual starters out of this draft..I'd be overjoyed

So what he's 33, he's just signed for three years. Which gives us...... 3 years to sign his replacement. Why rush the move? He's still probowl caliber. Collie isn't always hurt, look at last year. He played all 16 games. Avery I agree is a slight gamble, but his knee has healed and the injury is somewhat old now, and he has recovered. But we'll see on this one.

I don't follow your Gonzo is gone argument. He didn't catch ONE catch all season. And Garcon's replacement is Avery. We're pretty set, which gives space for our biggest needs = TE + CB.

And WR is still a need, I agree. But how does it beat the need of TE and CB? I see us drafting WR in later rounds, for two reasons. 1) the WR class is DEEP this year, and 2) we have bigger needs, plus I don't see a WR being BPA until later rounds.

At no point did I say it's a bigger need than TE or CB. Andy said it wasn't a need at all, which just isn't true, is it?

So we're happy going in with

Wayne

Collie

Avery

White

Cosby

Okay then.

I can buy that, except I don't think RB is that high of a need. We aren't going to get an elite RB in the draft (IMO there is only 1 anyway), and guys like we have are available in the later rounds or as FA's.

What I'm saying is that I don't see an upgrade at that position to be had. Other than that I'd move NT up above G, but I'm wordsmithing at that point.

Good job.

Oh, I definitely agree there isn't a clear elite back after Richardson, and I understand everyone not wanting to get a running back higher. Getting a RB after Richardson is a drop off in talent for sure, but it will only get worse grabbing from the later rounds (Let's not forget Brown was a 1st rounder and Carter is a 4th and hasn't fully proved he fits). In order for our running game to work we are asking the unproven (IMO) Brown-Carter tandem to succeed with zero insurance. Personally, I trust them to an extent, but having another talented depth at running back could bail us out if something goes terribly wrong. (I.E. injury) As a disclaimer it's not exactly the pick I want either, but at this point I just would not be surprised if Grigs/Pagano push for one higher in the draft. Those are just my two cents, I would certainly love to fill weak spots in the positions I listed under RB, but man can you imagine how bad our record might be if we don't have a running game?

And thank your for your positive comments and input! :)

Alright, my bad, I didn't catch that. Then we almost agree 100 percent ;-) But the main reason why we need to go CB and TE early is because the draft is poor on TE, so the competitive ones will be gone if it's not addressed early. And though this draft is deep on CB, it's NOT deep on shutdown corners, so we'll have to pick one early. Powers is better suited as the number two CB.

Alright, my bad, I didn't catch that. Then we almost agree 100 percent ;-) But the main reason why we need to go CB and TE early is because the draft is poor on TE, so the competitive ones will be gone if it's not addressed early. And though this draft is deep on CB, it's NOT deep on shutdown corners, so we'll have to pick one early. Powers is better suited as the number two CB.

I have to agree here. We have only Brody, who's more of a blocker and Gronk Jr who's more of a FB/ backup material. We almost have to take a TE early if 1 is available that has some early round value. If not take a CB with early rd value or a DT. I would think 1 of the 2 positions would be available at 34.

I don't propose drafting Fleener but if he isn't available I think we try to trade back and get more picks or swap rounds with someone. I think we can trade back to the middle of round 2 and still get a quality CB, DT, WR or OL there....and still be able to take a quality TE in rounds 3-5 to contribute. We haven't really heard what our FO is targeting really. We here a lot from other teams but from us we can't even admit we are taking Luck. We definately are keeping our cards close to our chest...but its been hard to even see who we are targeting by who we have had visits with.

I think the most interesting pick for us in this years draft will be the first pick in round 3. That will be the first pick on day 2. We will have all night to evaluate and basically it is like having the first pick in the draft all over again. We should have a really really strong pick here...just as good as our round 2 pick. That or we should be able to work out a trade with a team that sees someone that fell out of day 1 and is going after them. Very exciting and will be watching both rounds.

I'd have to respectfully disagree\\We stripped oursleves nearly naked on offense.

WE could start the season with what we have right now (before the draft) on defense

But but we need O-line depth. WR depth, TE depth, QB depth.

See what I'm saying?

I understand and I get your side of it. I just think we want to get as much talent as we can on this team. If the best WR is a mid 2nd-rounder, but the best CB is a first rounder and we are sitting there at 34 wondering what to do, I would much rather us go with the more talented guy than reach for a less talented guy

How is WR not a need? Wayne is only going to play a few more years. Avery hasn't been healthy in two years and outside this board, not many feel he will contribute again. Collie is fine in the slot but concussion issues. Nobody else. It is a need. That's why most analysts are saying WR and CB are the biggest needs