Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dayo

Four2itus

So...the season is about to start. That one thing that fans really haven't discussed lately, is our second pick last season...Dayo. This is understandable, because there is so much change going on. He is not part of the teams immediate plans, so his discussion is sort of on hold until we hear that he is going to start practicing. 

Since we have a ways to go before the season starts, I thought I would start a thread to discuss what he looks to bring to the Colt organization. I pulled up a youtube vid on him, and the first thing that stuck out to me, me the power of his punch. In this vid, look at his hand punch on the skill player at 1:19. That is some power. 

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what this underrated player can do for a defense that is already rising....and becoming pretty formidable. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dayo is highly prized by this front office.

Ballard said the first time he saw Dayo on tape (Jan or Feb) he projected he’d be picked by 21 overall.   A clear first round talent. 

I don’t know how long top scout Morocco Brown has had this responsibility (this year?  Last year). but his unofficial job description  this year was to try to find….  “Unicorns”.

Dayo Odayongbo (sp?) is our unicorn.   Our front office thinks he rare and special.   I don’t think the team will rush him.   Frank was quoted today as saying it will be left to the doctors as to when they clear him.   

My guess is we won’t see him until November, and even then, it will be highly limited.   Then hopefully we will see the real Dayo next season.  

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dayo is highly prized by this front office.

Ballard said the first time he saw Dayo on tape (Jan or Feb) he projected he’d be picked by 21 overall.   A clear first round talent. 

I don’t know how long top scout Morocco Brown has had this responsibility (this year?  Last year). but his unofficial job description  this year was to try to find….  “Unicorns”.

Dayo Odayongbo (sp?) is our unicorn.   Our front office thinks he rare and special.   I don’t think the team will rush him.   Frank was quoted today as saying it will be left to the doctors as to when they clear him.   

My guess is we won’t see him until November, and even then, it will be highly limited.   Then hopefully we will see the real Dayo next season.  

20 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

If Dayo and Paye end up being like Mathis and Freeney, that would be amazing.  I know it's a long shot, but just saying, it's exciting to think about.

Just for comparison's sake... sorted by weight... 

Mathis - 6-2 / 245

Turay - 6-5 / 248

Banogu - 6-3 / 252

Paye - 6-2 / 261 (and he's ripped)

Freeney - 6-1 / 268

Lewis - 6-3 / 277

Autry - 6-5 / 285 (has played both 3T and DE)

Dayo - 6-5 / 285

Buckner - 6-7 / 295 (3T) - not a DE, but added just for comparison

Dayo is a big guy for DE. If he can be legit at that size, we'll have a very nice tweener "3T/DE"

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Just for comparison's sake... sorted by weight... 

Mathis - 6-2 / 245

Turay - 6-5 / 248

Banogu - 6-3 / 252

Paye - 6-2 / 261 (and he's ripped)

Freeney - 6-1 / 268

Lewis - 6-3 / 277

Autry - 6-5 / 285 (has played both 3T and DE)

Dayo - 6-5 / 285

Buckner - 6-7 / 295 (3T) - not a DE, but added just for comparison

Dayo is a big guy for DE. If he can be legit at that size, we'll have a very nice tweener "3T/DE"

For whatever it’s worth….

Ballard has described Dayo as 276….

Just saying…

Dayo is actually listed at 285 on Wiki as well. A lot of players fluctuate within 10 pounds. I remember back in the day they listed Munoz at 280 coming out of college, but Forrest Gregg (Bengals headcoach) laughed and said he is more like 300. As of today Wiki lists Munoz's playing WT at 278. He was much heavier, I watched him play live. He was every bit of 300.

I sure hope that Dayo turns out to be everything that CB said he is.  I've still got a bee in my bonnet about our passing on Pat Freiermuth, only to have him taken with the very next pick.  He'd better cure some disease or invent the longer lasting light bulb or something (stolen from Saving Private Ryan).  So...  You go, Dayo!  No pressure!

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I sure hope that Dayo turns out to be everything that CB said he is.  I've still got a bee in my bonnet about our passing on Pat Freiermuth, only to have him taken with the very next pick.  He'd better cure some disease or invent the longer lasting light bulb or something (stolen from Saving Private Ryan).  So...  You go, Dayo!  No pressure!

Same here. That was the one guy I wanted in the 2nd round. Could have been the Colts next great TE IMO and an immediate weapon. I think he legitimately has 10 TD potential and PB upside.

I expected an OT, but when Radunz went off the board, I thought it might actually happen.

To compound it, they ended up taking Granson, so they were definitely looking at TEs. But I don't know what to think about Granson right now. Hopefully he has a good game on Friday. Seems like Reich really wanted an HBack type (like Burton), rather than a traditional TE.  

But Dayo has a ton of upside for this DL. I hope he gets healthy and we get to see it. Could be a Justin Tuck type or could be a Tanoh Kpassagnon. We will just have to see.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dayo is actually listed at 285 on Wiki as well. A lot of players fluctuate within 10 pounds. I remember back in the day they listed Munoz at 280 coming out of college, but Forrest Gregg (Bengals headcoach) laughed and said he is more like 300. As of today Wiki lists Munoz's playing WT at 278. He was much heavier, I watched him play live. He was every bit of 300.

Humans nowadays are just monsters in general compared to our historical counterparts.... I mean, I'm just some dude, but 6-2 and 215 and missing an entire leg, and I neither look, nor feel, like a big guy....

Loved Dayo before the draft, had a 2nd round grade on him so I was definitely happy we got him. Of all the players we keep thinking are the Autry replacement, this is the guy. Maybe not right away but long term, and better. Will definitely move inside on passing downs.

If we have Turay or Banogu actually figure it out this year, imagine rushing a front 4 when its 3rd and long of Paye - Dayo - Buckner - Turay/Banogu? :headspin:

7 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Loved Dayo before the draft, had a 2nd round grade on him so I was definitely happy we got him. Of all the players we keep thinking are the Autry replacement, this is the guy. Maybe not right away but long term, and better. Will definitely move inside on passing downs.

If we have Turay or Banogu actually figure it out this year, imagine rushing a front 4 when its 3rd and long of Paye - Dayo - Buckner - Turay/Banogu? :headspin:

Scooby Doo Drool GIF

12 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I don't know who that is, but a google search showed he was a HOFer.  Yes please. :D

A very similar frame, and Bruce was at the top of the class combining wisdom, power, and speed. 
 Watching Dayo is this video, i certainly didn't miss that his eyes were on the ball, he was patient and controlled his lane always, but showed excellent power, was powerful with his hands to control the enemy, and had a real burst with a long stride to out manuever his opponent. And he has the weight and power to line up inside.   So yes, he shows some upside!!

Archived