Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Vikes postgame thoughts....

EastStreet

some good, too much bad.

• SE struggled. 3 INTs in 3ish Qs is not that good.
  • JE struggled, but settled in.
  • Seemed we tried a lot of pass catchers out (very heavy rotation). That might have impacted rhythm for the QBs. 
  • DL played well, but we should have expected that given MN's OL. Still, nice to see some guys getting home. 
  • DBs didn't impress me, but I though Chachere and RYS had good games.
  • Kaufusi looks like he wasn't Glasgow's ST spot. 
  • Running game didn't impress. 
  • OL didn't give up a sack IIRC, but the QBs had pressure a lot.
  • Patmon and Pascal had nice games.
  • Granson was 0-4. Some where his fault, but he's struggling.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

some good, too much bad.

• SE struggled. 3 INTs in 3ish Qs is not that good.
  • JE struggled, but settled in.
  • Seemed we tried a lot of pass catchers out (very heavy rotation). That might have impacted rhythm for the QBs. 
  • DL played well, but we should have expected that given MN's OL. Still, nice to see some guys getting home. 
  • DBs didn't impress me, but I though Chachere and RYS had good games.
  • Kaufusi looks like he wasn't Glasgow's ST spot. 
  • Running game didn't impress. 
  • OL didn't give up a sack IIRC, but the QBs had pressure a lot.
  • Patmon and Pascal had nice games.
  • Granson was 0-4. Some where his fault, but he's struggling.

I don’t understand your first comment?

Ehlinger had two interceptions, not three.   And he played a little less than two quarters as Eason came in roughly in the middle to late in the 2nd quarter.   He didn’t play 3ish quarters. 

Otherwise, I agree with most of the rest. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ehlinger had two interceptions, not three.   And he played a little less than two quarters as Eason came in roughly in the middle to late in the 2nd quarter.   He didn’t play 3ish quarters. 

He’s talking about Ehlingers preseason totals.

Which include week 1.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

SE's totals (first two games). A little over 3 Qs, and had 3 INTs.

Sam has a nice story, tons of heart, and he’s a great competitor.  But he’s not an NFL QB.  

They’re not even game planning against him and his weaknesses are in full display.  He may be a great coach, if he goes that way.  

Jacob looked like a rookie facing real NFL starters.  He shows a lot of upside. No one is going to deny he has the arm.  I though he played pretty well, all those things considered.

Defense looks really good. 

I wasn’t able to watch the game but I followed on social media. It sounds like Sam Tevi will be cut soon. Bad signing by Ballard. Little disappointed with Eason. I was hoping for a better showing. I’m still pretty worried about our offense if he has to play, which seems likely at this point. 

I’m excited about our defense as a whole but especially our pash rush. Imagine getting solid rush from Paye, Turay, Lewis, and Banogu. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Sam has a nice story, tons of heart, and he’s a great competitor.  But he’s not an NFL QB.  

They’re not even game planning against him and his weaknesses are in full display.  He may be a great coach, if he goes that way.  

Jacob looked like a rookie facing real NFL starters.  He shows a lot of upside. No one is going to deny he has the arm.  I though he played pretty well, all those things considered.

You may be right about Sam….

But I don’t know why you, or anyone else feels the need to jump to such a conclusion?   And after just two pre-season games.  

I expect Sam to get cut and brought back on the PS.  I don’t think he’s done enough to fear he’ll be claimed after we release him.  But the kid needs time.  There’s no reason — yet — to give up on him.  I expect the Colts to stick with him for this season.   After that, we’ll figure it out. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right about Sam….

But I don’t know why you, or anyone else feels the need to jump to such a conclusion?   And after just two pre-season games.  

I expect Sam to get cut and brought back on the PS.  I don’t think he’s done enough to fear he’ll be claimed after we release him.  But the kid needs time.  There’s no reason — yet — to give up on him.  I expect the Colts to stick with him for this season.   After that, we’ll figure it out. 

With the current situation not sure he will get cut because he might be needed 

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It’s tough because we could really use that roster spot that he will be taking up if he’s on the 53.

Team-friendly PS rules should help us.

I am going to assume Eason will get some starters Friday night. It’s the only way to compare. Sam had his chance tonight and failed. Now we will see if Eason can do anything with the starters. I want to see him with a run game that can actually run the ball. That will make a huge difference in the play action game.

Sams limitations showed a ton tonjght.

29 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Sam is what i said he was a couple weeks back and if they use him that way they will be fine. A specialty QB in the mold of Taysom Hill who you build packages around for short yardage and redzone. Bc hes an accurate short to intermediate passer when hes brought in the game teams have to respect his legs and the arm in those situations.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think he will eventually be good. I just thought we might see a little more. Just going to take him more time then initially thought.

Im assuming Granson will play a decent amount in the next game. It will do a bunch for him play well. Think that will get him going in the right direction. Hes starting off like Hines did. Hines didnt get right until game 1.

29 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes….  You’re right.   If Wentz can’t go then Sam unless we went with….    Hundley as the backup?   Would we do that?

But you’re right.   

Im expecting Wentz back week one, so that was/is my thinking. 

My biggest takeaway at this point in the preason is the QB situation.

I'm not the biggest believer in Eason or Ehlinger. However, I really don't like the way the Colts have handled that situation and I don't think they have put them in the best position to succeed. I think you have to be committed to one of them as the backup to Wentz (and potentially start if Wentz can't go) at this point in the preseason. They are both very different QBs that, in order to succeed, are going to need different play calling/game plans. I'm not surprised the QBs took a step back in preseason game #2 given how this situation has been managed.

There is legit criticism to place on both but I think some could be mitigated if the Colts handled this differently. It feels like they are treating this like just another camp battle but I don't think you can treat the QB position the same as say the kicker or SAM positions. 

If they really don't know which one they will go with if Wentz can't play week 1, at this point I would hope they make a trade or sign someone else. 

On the positive side I am really excited about this defense. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….  You’re right.   If Wentz can’t go then Sam unless we went with….    Hundley as the backup?   Would we do that?

But you’re right.   

I have a feeling the team might carry 3 QBs due to the other health situation right now

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But you’re right.   

After tonight let's hope so.

One thing we gave to remenber about these QB is Reich is not game planning with their strengths in mind for these preseason games. He is still learning what they do well. If one of them has to play a actual game Reich will take those strength into the game plan. Then add Taylor in their it’s a different game.

I thought Eason stepped up into the pocket pretty well tonight. 

4 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I'm not the biggest believer in Eason or Ehlinger. However, I really don't like the way the Colts have handled that situation and I don't think they have put them in the best position to succeed. I think you have to be committed to one of them as the backup to Wentz (and potentially start if Wentz can't go) at this point in the preseason. They are both very different QBs that, in order to succeed, are going to need different play calling/game plans. I'm not surprised the QBs took a step back in preseason game #2 given how this situation has been managed.

There is legit criticism to place on both but I think some could be mitigated if the Colts handled this differently. It feels like they are treating this like just another camp battle but I don't think you can treat the QB position the same as say the kicker or SAM positions. 

If the they really don't know which one they will go with if Wentz can't play week 1, at this point I would hope they make a trade or sign someone else. 

It happens regularly with the QB position 

Happening right now in Chicago and NE

Just now, Wentzszn said:

One thing we gave to remenber about these QB is Reich is not game planning with their strengths in mind for these preseason games. He is still learning what they do well. If one of them has to play a actual game Reich will take those strength into the game plan. Then add Taylor in their it’s a different game.

I thought Eason stepped up into the pocket pretty well tonight. 

That is why I used the term play script in the other thread

JE still needs to work on his touch

3 minutes ago, ar7 said:

If the they really don't know which one they will go with if Wentz can't play week 1, at this point I would hope they make a trade or sign someone else. 

It hasn’t allowed either QB to get chemistry with the starters. We do have two weeks after the lions game though. Reich will know internally who it is even if we don’t know.

After Eason played well last week and had a great practice week Reich should of committed to him all week in practice and to start this game.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

This QB battle is over. Eason will be QB2 and it's not even close. As for the overall offense, We need Wentz and Taylor. The defense imo can be easily top 10 and potentially top 5 if everyone stays healthy.

If Eason has to play having Taylor will be huge. Also getting Kelly back to help with protections will be big.

Reich needs to commit to Eason this week in practice and starting Friday.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

If Eason has to play having Taylor will be huge. Also getting Kelly back to help with protections will be big.

Reich needs to commit to Eason this week in practice and starting Friday.

Couldn't agree more. Giving Ehlinger anymore first team reps is a waste.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Unless they are convinced Wentz will play week one it has to be getting Eason ready.

Maybe after watching film Reich will have a different tune. He will have a media session tomorrow I believe.

At this point, id be shocked if Wentz isn't back for week 1. Too much things pointing towards the right direction for him not to be back imo.

Banogu is going to have the nfl at his door wanting a drug test if he keeps this up. I don’t know what is up but man he hasn’t ever showed any flashes.

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

A preseason game with no injuries (that i remember) is my favorite kind.

Someone had a hamstring. Need to check who it was. Nobody super important. Maybe it was woods.

Archived