Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Vikes postgame thoughts....

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

At this point, id be shocked if Wentz isn't back for week 1. Too much things pointing towards the right direction for him not to be back imo.

I have a hard time thinking they would be messing with these two young QB like this if he wasn’t going to play. They would be trying to get one ready.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I have a hard time thinking they would be messing with these two young QB like this if he wasn’t going to play. They would be trying to get one ready.

I think the colts are pretty confident Wentz will play week 1, but obviously their not gonna come out and say that.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think the colts are pretty confident Wentz will play week 1, but obviously their not gonna come out and say that.

I don’t think we will know much until that final week and if Wentz can go. No way Reich is going to say which QB won the backup job to allow Seattle to game plan for one if Wentz can’t play.

This coming weeks final training camp may give some of a hint.

I hate that Wentz is missing this time. But this fun game should help him shake off the rust until they get things going.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think we will know much until that final week and if Wentz can go. No way Reich is going to say which QB won the backup job to allow Seattle to game plan for one if Wentz can’t play.

I hate that Wentz is missing this time. But this fun game should help him shake off the rust until they get things going.

Wentz is going through walkthroughs already so hopefully he'll start throwing soon even if it's just against air.

Didn’t catch most of it but from what I saw Eason was better but both QBs took steps back this week

Pass rush was improved.

Davenport did the best of anyone so far at LT

The kickers are not making this competition easy on the coaches.

Granson continues to disappoint me some.

None of the four guys battling for the last WR spots had a great night but I think Strachan had already done enough to make the roster before tonight and I think Patmon had the best night of the other three for the second week in a row so I think Strachan and Patmon in that order for the last two WR spots (assuming they keep six)

36 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Banogu is going to have the nfl at his door wanting a drug test if he keeps this up. I don’t know what is up but man he hasn’t ever showed any flashes.

Someone had a hamstring. Need to check who it was. Nobody super important. Maybe it was woods.

Woods got shaken up early so it might very well be Woods you are thinking of with the hammy.

I have to share this video of Kent sterling after the game. He sounds drunk. I never laughed so hard at his over reaction. Does he not realize a preseason game is not going to be game planned around a QB strengths. Taylor and Hines will be leaned on a ton. These two QB won’t be throwing as much in a regular season game. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I have to share this video of Kent sterling after the game. He sounds drunk. I never laughed so hard at his over reaction. Does he not realize a preseason game is not going to be game planned around a QB strengths. Taylor and Hines will be leaned on a ton. These two QB won’t be throwing as much in a regular season game. 

sounds more hopped up on caffeine than drunk.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL... Sterling talking about "why does Doyle hate Wentz" lol... 

I jab sterling because he is way overacting to preseason. The facts are you put  Eason out there with the entire oline and Taylor you can rely on the running game and use a lot of play action and probably be fine.

Hopefully Eason gets the starters Friday. Would be nice if Taylor played some but he probably won’t. We don’t need another week of splitting practice reps.

58 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The more time he is out, the better... the Colts can be cursed with injuries and he's probably closer to a plug-n-play QB than many other QB's.  Not like a Rivers mind you but shouldn't take a lot of ramp-up time.  What I mean by Rivers is that Phillip would be someone who could come back into a starting role after a brief injury delay and not miss a beat because he can read defenses so well and learning the playbook is a quick deal for him.

EDIT: What I meant to also say is that the Jets game and their recent injuries spooked me again on catastrophic injuries.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I jab sterling because he is way overacting to preseason. The facts are you put  Eason out there with the entire oline and Taylor you can rely on the running game and use a lot of play action and probably be fine.

Hopefully Eason gets the starters Friday. Would be nice if Taylor played some but he probably won’t. We don’t need another week of splitting practice reps.

I agree he's overreacting, and over-hating on SE and JE, but he's really not wrong. 

If you're happy with JE playing a JB like roll, but likely better long, than OK... 

Watching the TN/TB game right now and checked out the final box score.

TN looks really solid, even not playing Tannehill. 

Chester Rogers had another good showing. 

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Is it normal in preseason games not to run the ball much so you don’t wear out your running backs.

We ran the ball tonight more than our average attempts per game last year.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Watching the TN/TB game right now and checked out the final box score.

TN looks really solid, even not playing Tannehill. 

Chester Rogers had another good showing. 

We ran the ball tonight more than our average attempts per game last year.

Guess it just seems off because the big guys aren’t playing or only playing little.

Seeing KC go almost a half with KELCE and Mahomes makes me wonder if we need to go harder in the preseason so we don’t start slow.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

One more thing things are pretty vanilla so Reich isn’t really scheming receivers open. He is really good at that.

Reich schemed guys open last week, not much at all this week. 

Carolina played a lot more zone though, and MN a lot more tight man.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Reich schemed guys open last week, not much at all this week. 

Carolina played a lot more zone though, and MN a lot more tight man.

Makes we wonder if they were just testing the  WR to see what more they can do.

Dez was the leading WR.

I just wish we would use the preseason to get more ready for the season. Won’t be surprising to start slow even if Wentz is back.  Defense is going to have to be lights out.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Makes we wonder if they were just testing the  WR to see what more they can do.

Dez was the leading WR.

I just wish we would use the preseason to get more ready for the season. Won’t be surprising to start slow even if Wentz is back. 

I'm not really buying that coaches don't game plan for the preseason. Sure, I know they want to see certain things, but preseason is preseason for the coaches too. They are working out their coaching bugs also. And we have a new OC and several other new guys. I just think Reich made up his mind to dink/dunk, and that's what we did.... And it just didn't work well vs MN's shallow/tight coverage. And the ISO we did, seemed to be with the wrong personnel IMO.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

some good, too much bad.

• SE struggled. 3 INTs in 3ish Qs is not that good.
  • JE struggled, but settled in.
  • Seemed we tried a lot of pass catchers out (very heavy rotation). That might have impacted rhythm for the QBs. 
  • DL played well, but we should have expected that given MN's OL. Still, nice to see some guys getting home. 
  • DBs didn't impress me, but I though Chachere and RYS had good games.
  • Kaufusi looks like he wasn't Glasgow's ST spot. 
  • Running game didn't impress. 
  • OL didn't give up a sack IIRC, but the QBs had pressure a lot.
  • Patmon and Pascal had nice games.
  • Granson was 0-4. Some where his fault, but he's struggling.

Granson was a soup sandwich.  I don’t know if he should make the roster.  Sloppy routes.

On the DBs, I thought Willis, Blackmon, and Rock all looked very good.  Best I’ve seen Rock.

Patmon over Dulin for WR6.  

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Granson was a soup sandwich.  I don’t know if he should make the roster.  Sloppy routes.

On the DBs, I thought Willis, Blackmon, and Rock all looked very good.  Best I’ve seen Rock.

Rock looked solid all week in camp and looked good tonight.

Patmon should make the roster. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not really buying that coaches don't game plan for the preseason. Sure, I know they want to see certain things, but preseason is preseason for the coaches too. They are working out their coaching bugs also. And we have a new OC and several other new guys. I just think Reich made up his mind to dink/dunk, and that's what we did.... And it just didn't work well vs MN's shallow/tight coverage. And the ISO we did, seemed to be with the wrong personnel IMO.

It worked some in the first half but when your not playing Taylor and Hines very much it just isn’t going to be very effective. 

Like I have said he is learning all their weaknesses and strengths. Then in a real game you take those and make a game plan.

The entire offense is just our if sync and probably will be even with Wentz back for awhile. Will need to rely on Taylor and the defense.

19 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I think Granson is being asked to play totally different (routes mostly) than he played in college. Will either need time, or perhaps just not a good match for him here.

Aside from tackles (assists/combo), didn't really notice Blackmon much. Willis had a good blitz IIRC. Agreed, best RYS has been in a while.

I think Patmon is a better WR than Dulin (higher upside), just not sure he's that much better...... at least enough to keep another X. If we'd play two bigs at once like last week, in the regular season, I'd be down with keeping him.

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It worked some in the first half but when your not playing Taylor and Hines very much it just isn’t going to be very effective. 

Like I have said he is learning all their weaknesses and strengths. Then in a real game you take those and make a game plan.

The entire offense is just our if sync and probably will be even with Wentz back for awhile. Will need to rely on Taylor and the defense.

Sorry... Just not sure why you do something that clearly doesn't set your guys up for success. At least not for a prolonged amount of time. The O was never going to get in synch throwing short to a tight/shallow man D.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Sorry... Just not sure why you do something that clearly doesn't set your guys up for success. At least not for a prolonged amount of time. The O was never going to get in synch throwing short to a tight/shallow man D.

Just talking overall. Not having Wentz. Having  two young QB splitting reps. Just no continuity.

Goof news is the oline did not allow any sacks. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Granson is being asked to play totally different (routes mostly) than he played in college. Will either need time, or perhaps just not a good match for him here.

Aside from tackles (assists/combo), didn't really notice Blackmon much. Willis had a good blitz IIRC. Agreed, best RYS has been in a while.

I think Patmon is a better WR than Dulin (higher upside), just not sure he's that much better...... at least enough to keep another X. If we'd play two bigs at once like last week, in the regular season, I'd be down with keeping him.

in reality nobody will get much playing time outside the top 4. If you need someone to replace Campbell or Hilton because of injury you can just bring them up off the PS.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right about Sam….

But I don’t know why you, or anyone else feels the need to jump to such a conclusion?   And after just two pre-season games.  

I expect Sam to get cut and brought back on the PS.  I don’t think he’s done enough to fear he’ll be claimed after we release him.  But the kid needs time.  There’s no reason — yet — to give up on him.  I expect the Colts to stick with him for this season.   After that, we’ll figure it out. 

I agree

24 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Reach and bust, eh? After two pre-season games. 

gotcha

I think folks have forgotten or have no idea how hard it is for a rookie TE to contribute. People need to keep those expectations LOW. He'll be lucky to have a year like Burton did last year.

To be fair Ehlinger is a rookie that has now played what? 3 or 4 quarters at NFL level and joined the Colts 5 months ago while Eason is in his second year and has the advantage of a full season, knowing the system, knowing most of the players etc. So don't be too harsh to Sam, who is playing like you expect a rookie to play that was chosen in round 6.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right about Sam….

But I don’t know why you, or anyone else feels the need to jump to such a conclusion?   And after just two pre-season games.  

I expect Sam to get cut and brought back on the PS.  I don’t think he’s done enough to fear he’ll be claimed after we release him.  But the kid needs time.  There’s no reason — yet — to give up on him.  I expect the Colts to stick with him for this season.   After that, we’ll figure it out. 

I really like him as a player and a person.  I wish him well, but it’s a fact that you can’t teach height or arm strength.   Given time, he may develop into a backup, but his main contribution is going to be with his football awareness.  Helping the starter on the sideline or QB room with his insights.  Sorgi.  

For those thinking Tysom Hill packages, sure it’s possible.  He’s not as fast, big, or athletic.  

He’s not even seeing game planning yet.  When D’s don’t have to worry about the long ball or sidelines as much, how do you think he’d do?  I don’t think I’m rushing to judgement, I just don’t think the upside is there.  I could be wrong, but I really think Eason needs all the first team snaps if he’s our starter week one.  

the play calling i thought hurt the offense , frank needs to let brady call the plays .   frank is calling the 2019 jacoby offense again and that is why we failed in 2019 .  you need to unleash your QB who has a big arm and let him throw down field more . the run , run short pass on third down was so predictable .

From video clips....

1) Davenport looks the part of a LT, and I think won the backup role

2) Paye looked great on the sack.....  cant wait until he comes together with his game....  (I think 10-11 sacks are possible)

3) Sam E. and Eason get to see a different style defense then they see in practice.....   Their performance against a first look man to man, isnt really surprising

4) The interceptions from Sam E. at least this game can BOTH be at least partially blamed on the receiver.

5) Grayson needs some more time to develop..  (Dont give up on him yet, he is a smart kid, with physical talent)

6) We need Wentz, Nelson, Buckner, and the maniac..... we will be ok

Where is Tyquan Lewis?

11 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the play calling i thought hurt the offense , frank needs to let brady call the plays .   frank is calling the 2019 jacoby offense again and that is why we failed in 2019 .  you need to unleash your QB who has a big arm and let him throw down field more . the run , run short pass on third down was so predictable .

It’s mostly vanilla is the preseason. 

Archived