Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Vikes postgame thoughts....

EastStreet

On my TV:

Offense:

• Davenport LT (B+) outplayed Holden & Tevi.
  • Holden was mediocre at RT (B-) & LG (C+), poor at LT (C-). So poor, they put Davenport back in for the 4th.
  • Tevi was very poor at RT (D+).
  • Fries was pretty solid at RG (B-), solid run blocking (B+).
  • Hunt was pretty solid at center (B)
  • Reed was OK at LG (B-).
  • Ehlingers' 2nd INT was on Dulin, who didn't know he was targeted until the ball went by his facemask.
  • Granson did a pretty solid job run blocking. Too bad, nothing thrown his way was actually on target or catch-able.
  • Eason to Patmon! A bunch of times now. Patmon, like Pascal, just gets open and makes plays.
  • Wilkins is still quietly solid as heck.

Defense:

• Paye, Banogu, AQM & Rochell all put heat on the edges!
  • Matt Adams has discovered his speed and can now defend passes, 2 games in a row? Nice!
  • Chris Williams (DT), only played a few snaps at the end, but he made them count.
  • The back end of the Colts D was a little shaky at times, but the Vikes did not exploit those mishaps.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You do realize almost no one playing in the fourth quarter of a preseason makes an active roster. Practice Squad fine, but if it was the regular 10 instead of 16 that is making it a lot less likely.

There have been many guys who have been cut or end of the roster guys who turn it around and make a career in the NFL. Either way they still have to earn a spot to even go to camp. I find the comparison stupid. You ever heard of Kurt Warner stocking shelves then turns into an MVP and SB winner...

Wentz and Nelson to start practicing on a limited basis tomorrow.. 

This backup QB situation- I probably looked at it a bit different because I really am questionable on Wentz, but the team must be all in on Wentz and are sure he's going to be fine. What they're doing makes a lot more sense if they're using the backup QB competition as leverage of sorts in the locker room to demonstrate "competition at all levels".   

7 minutes ago, life long said:

There have been many guys who have been cut or end of the roster guys who turn it around and make a career in the NFL. Either way they still have to earn a spot to even go to camp. I find the comparison stupid. You ever heard of Kurt Warner stocking shelves then turns into an MVP and SB winner...

You are talking about on average of 5 players out of 300

- I think Ballard got one with Qwitty Paye.  First NFL action is he showed out.  Good pressure and got a sack.  I think he’s gonna eat when we have our starters out there.  Buck and Grover should take a lot of attention so he should get a lot of 1v1 opportunities

- It’s so good to Ben Banagou continue to have a good preseason.  His name was hot in training camp and we see why.  Injuries has plagued him so far so hopefully he stays healthy and can be a good DE.  I think Ballard has possibly put together a nice young DE core with Paye (rookie), Turay, Banagou, and Muhammad (rookie)

- our defense is going to be legit again.  The depth looks good.  Ballard has done a good job putting together this defense.  Most of the talent is homegrown.

- Sam E has a lot of growing to do.  His arm isn’t there.  Right now he’s a check down artist and teams know.  Threw 2 picks with one of them being a pick 6.  He need time.  I still think he can develop into a good qb but right now he’s solidified his spot as the 3rd qb

- Jacob Eason was rocky when he took over from Sam but he had a good second half.  Touch is still a problem for him but he made good reads and the correct throws.  Probably was worked up taking over from Sam but once he settled in he once again looked like a pro.  I would be fine with Eason starting week 1 if wentz isn’t ready

- Good to see Mack out there.  It’s sad Wilkins isn’t gonna make the team because I don’t see us keeping 4 running backs but he deserves to go somewhere and shine 

- everything else was pretty meh or not worth mentioning.  Will say doe I would like to see more of our offense starters out there bc rn this offense is giving me anxiety

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Wentz and Nelson to start practicing on a limited basis tomorrow.. 

This backup QB situation- I probably looked at it a bit different because I really am questionable on Wentz, but the team must be all in on Wentz and are sure he's going to be fine. What they're doing makes a lot more sense if they're using the backup QB competition as leverage of sorts in the locker room to demonstrate "competition at all levels".   

Yep it all makes sense now. After this first week and after Detroit they will probably have a better idea on Wentz. But it’s clear now they kind of expect him back so that is why they are doing what they did. I am glad all the talk tomorrow sill be positive with this news instead of how bad Eason and Sam played. 

I still want to see Eason with starters Friday. I hope he has a good couple days of practice.

2 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

- I think Ballard got one with Qwitty Paye.  First NFL action is he showed out.  Good pressure and got a sack.  I think he’s gonna eat when we have our starters out there.  Buck and Grover should take a lot of attention so he should get a lot of 1v1 opportunities

- It’s so good to Ben Banagou continue to have a good preseason.  His name was hot in training camp and we see why.  Injuries has plagued him so far so hopefully he stays healthy and can be a good DE.  I think Ballard has possibly put together a nice young DE core with Paye (rookie), Turay, Banagou, and Muhammad (rookie)

- our defense is going to be legit again.  The depth looks good.  Ballard has done a good job putting together this defense.  Most of the talent is homegrown.

- Sam E has a lot of growing to do.  His arm isn’t there.  Right now he’s a check down artist and teams know.  Threw 2 picks with one of them being a pick 6.  He need time.  I still think he can develop into a good qb but right now he’s solidified his spot as the 3rd qb

- Jacob Eason was rocky when he took over from Sam but he had a good second half.  Touch is still a problem for him but he made good reads and the correct throws.  Probably was worked up taking over from Sam but once he settled in he once again looked like a pro.  I would be fine with Eason starting week 1 if wentz isn’t ready

- Good to see Mack out there.  It’s sad Wilkins isn’t gonna make the team because I don’t see us keeping 4 running backs but he deserves to go somewhere and shine 

- everything else was pretty meh or not worth mentioning.  Will say doe I would like to see more of our offense starters out there bc rn this offense is giving me anxiety

With Mack coming off that injury there is no doubt wilkins will make the team. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yep it all makes sense now. After this first week and after Detroit they will probably have a better idea on Wentz. But it’s clear now they kind of expect him back so that is why they are doing what they did. I am glad all the talk tomorrow sill be positive with this news instead of how bad Eason and Sam played. 

I still want to see Eason with starters Friday. I hope he has a good couple days of practice.

The people that matter in decision making have seen him with the starters and against our ones

The Colts plan when they drafted Eason based on reports was to make him earn everything.  So I am fine with them competing another week.  Competition is a good thing.  Also, while Eason did come in and do better last night the further the Vikings went into their depth chart he didn’t exactly light the world on fire.  So while I agree Eason did better last night but when you factor in Sam played against people higher on the depth chart and Eason was only ok at best against people who will be out of football soon I don’t think it’s as wide of a gap as some think it is.  

Very good news on the injury front.  There is a very real chance Nelson, Kelly and Wentz all go week one.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts plan when they drafted Eason based on reports was to make him earn everything.  So I am fine with them competing another week.  Competition is a good thing.  Also, while Eason did come in and do better last night the further the Vikings went into their depth chart he didn’t exactly light the world on fire.  So while I agree Eason did better last night but when you factor in Sam played against people higher on the depth chart and Eason was only ok at best against people who will be out of football soon I don’t think it’s as wide of a gap as some think it is.  

Very good news on the injury front.  There is a very real chance Nelson, Kelly and Wentz all go week one.

Aparna Nancherla Ugh GIF by Team Coco

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Why didn't the Vikings offense do anything against our scrubs? That's football. It happens, but no one is crowning Eason.

Well I see many here crowning him as QB2. Oddly enough the team won't go that far. Based on the bias here I would've assumed it would be an easy call. 

14 minutes ago, life long said:

Well I see many here crowning him as QB2. Oddly enough the team won't go that far. Based on the bias here I would've assumed it would be an easy call. 

Ehlinger does not have the arm or size to play in the NFL. I've said that since he was drafted and I'll eat crow if he proves me wrong on that statement, but it's fact. He can't drive the ball and he can't throw it hard enough to get it into windows. No matter how smart or mature he is, it doesn't matter if he can't make NFL throws.

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We are getting all our injured players back 3 weeks before opening day. Everything is pointing up. Can’t wait to see Eason and Sam with Kelly back tomorrow at practice.  That is a big deal to have him help with protections.

Not ALL, Fisher may be back opening day but not 3 weeks before like the others

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ehlinger does not have the arm or size to play in the NFL. I've said that since he was drafted and I'll eat crow if he proves me wrong on that statement, but it's fact. He can't drive the ball and he can't throw it hard enough to get it into windows. No matter how smart or mature he is, it doesn't matter if he can't make NFL throws.

Agreed and if Eason can't learn to read a defense or the pocket, or learn accuracy and touch he won't make it in the NFL either. However i am not rooting against either young men. I think both could improve and prove us all wrong. That's the fun in being a fan.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And I'm not saying he can grow taller but there have been examples of many qbs lacking size and arm strength who have had careers in the NFL. Even if its as a backup, which is most likely for either guy.

Just now, life long said:

And I'm not saying he can grow taller but there have been examples of many qbs lacking size and arm strength who have had careers in the NFL. Even if its as a backup, which is most likely for either guy.

The best Ehlinger can be in this league is Colt McCoy.

4 minutes ago, life long said:

Agreed and if Eason can't learn to read a defense or the pocket, or learn accuracy and touch he won't make it in the NFL either. However i am not rooting against either young men. I think both could improve and prove us all wrong. That's the fun in being a fan.

I'm not saying Eason is the next great colt QB, but he's not gonna lose out to Ehlinger.

4 minutes ago, life long said:

Drew Brees fell to the 3rd round because he lacked heighth and arm strength. 

His career turned out ok

Things Reich said  they weigh heavily.

Eason-2 minute drill against panthers GOOD

Eason winning drive for FG Vikings GOOD

NO INT GOOD

SAM

Winning drive against panthers GOOD

3 INT BAD

Mentioned meetings, sideline demeanor, practice all go into the evaniation. Said games are waited more heavily. 

Seems like the critical things from games Reich mentioned Eason would be ahead.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think SE would be happy with the Colt McCoy comparison you just gave him

Course. Colt and Sam are both longhorns and if he can stay in this league as long as Colt, that's a victory.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Drew Brees fell to the 3rd round because he lacked heighth and arm strength. 

His career turned out ok

Throwing hard and throwing far are not the same. Brees never had an issue making NFL throws. 

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not having the arm strength, I can believe/understand that argument but size I gotta disagree he's bigger than some starters in the league

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Throwing hard and throwing far are not the same. Brees never had an issue making NFL throws. 

Well if his arm strength was ever in question which it was, I'd say he either improved his arm strength or adapted to it with timing.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Not having the arm strength, I can believe/understand that argument but size I gotta disagree he's bigger than some starters in the league

6 1 is being generous. He's closer to 6 foot which is still too small and he doesn't have Kyler's or Russ's arm talent to make it a non-factor

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Things Reich said  they weigh heavily.

Eason-2 minute drill against panthers GOOD

Eason winning drive for FG Vikings GOOD

NO INT GOOD

SAM

Winning drive against panthers GOOD

3 INT BAD

Mentioned meetings, sideline demeanor, practice all go into the evaniation. Said games are waited more heavily. 

Seems like the critical things from games Reich mentioned Eason would be ahead.

It's hard to take anything you say serious about comparing quarterbacks these days because of how blatantly biased it is, which is unfortunate because usually you had good posts.

Just now, life long said:

Well if his arm strength was ever in question which it was, I'd say he either improved his arm strength or adapted to it with timing.

Sure. You can learn to throw far with touch. Doesn't mean you can drive it and make difficult throws in small windows.

Archived