Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Vikes postgame thoughts....

EastStreet

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I think it’s different with the Wentz injury. They should be getting someone ready to start week one in case he can’t go.  Now if they are positive Wentz will be ready then yes it’s ok handling it this way.  If they are unsure they need to be getting someone ready for week one.

Thats great and all but the answer lies in finding out who the best QB is in a real game setting. 3 preseason games. I think we all know who the backup is, and im sure the Colts are leaning towards one. We all "think" Eason will be number 2. Just because they haven't announced anything means nothing whatsoever. The number 2 QB will start in the absence of Wentz. 

Is there a QB out there worth paying for? Unlikely. 

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Thats great and all but the answer lies in finding out who the best QB is in a real game setting. 3 preseason games. I think we all know who the backup is, and im sure the Colts are leaning towards one. We all "think" Eason will be number 2. Just because they haven't announced anything means nothing whatsoever. The number 2 QB will start in the absence of Wentz. 

I have a feeling JE is #2 but things could change after cut down day

6 hours ago, ar7 said:

Regarding the game plan, you might not do it like you would in the regular season but you should adjust your plays based on the QB especially given how different these two are. 

Progress and consistently is more likely to come if you treat one of them as the 1st QB and the other as the 2nd. (until Wentz returns of course) Communication and chemistry with the other guys on offense is vital for the QB and I simply think that comes easier if you settle in with one of them at 1 and 2. 

I'm not talking about picking a QB before they evaluate him. Idk what makes you even suggest that. They have had how many weeks now to evaluate them? It's the most important position on the team and if the Colts are not comfortable with one over the other at this point in the preseason then I sure hope they are working to bring someone else in.

You evaluate the most out of a QB who isn't in their comfort zone. You dont gameplan to help them play their best game, that would be somewhat counter productive. Im sure some form of gameplan was in place. And there isn't really anything to suggest they are unsure of who will start at QB in game 1. 

Ehlinger earned his right to start in game 2. You reward a player who does well enough to earn something like that do you not? In an effort to... evaluate them? 

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

You evaluate the most out of a QB who isn't in their comfort zone. You dont gameplan to help them play their best game, that would be somewhat counter productive. Im sure some form of gameplan was in place. And there isn't really anything to suggest they are unsure of who will start at QB in game 1. 

Ehlinger earned his right to start in game 2. You reward a player who does well enough to earn something like that do you not? In an effort to... evaluate them? 

That is why I use the term preseason play scripts instead of game plans

10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have a feeling JE is #2 but things could change after cut down day

That could be true, but I think ehlinger is too short and doesn't have Brees arm talent to compensate. Eason may not have done so great either, but to me it seemed to make the answer obvious. 

9 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

no FAs, that's for sure. 

trading is really the only option, and that's not happening so long as Wentz is "close" to coming back.

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

That could be true, but I think ehlinger is too short and doesn't have Brees arm talent to compensate. Eason may not have done so great either, but to me it seemed to make the answer obvious. 

If the Colts decided to pick someone up after cuts SE would be cut and Eason would drop to #3 or PS

I see Sam as being able to drive the ball only about 8 yards downfield if going outside the hashmarks. Dungy would play press on him 90% of his snaps.

Yes it's great our guys can start working to get their legs back under them ASAP!

Maybe our biggest decision is who will be our 4th safety, 5th LB, 5th DE.

:colts:  :rawr:  :applause: 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As I said the only way  I see it happening if there is a surprise cut at QB that the brain trust couldn’t pass up

Maybe, but they're not going to bring in a guy that was waived/cut and immediately insert them into the #2 spot. It would have to be a cut that would surprise everyone... 

Foles could happen, but the Bears would take a nice dead cap hit. They'd save 5M though. Not sure he'd be plug and play either. And I doubt the FO would touch him anyway. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Maybe, but they're not going to bring in a guy that was waived/cut and immediately insert them into the #2 spot. It would have to be a cut that would surprise everyone... 

Foles could happen, but the Bears would take a nice dead cap hit. They'd save 5M though. Not sure he'd be plug and play either. And I doubt the FO would touch him anyway. 

I don’t think it will happen but not sure anyone knows especially with almost 2 weeks between cutdown and Week 1

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I don’t think it will happen but not sure anyone knows especially with almost 2 weeks between cutdown and Week 1

IMO there will be some QBs waived that are better than SE. 

Not sure if they'd be better than Eason, or at least have his potential upside.

And <2 weeks isn't enough IMO to learn a playbook, gain chemistry, and start.. 

I'd definitely be shopping the cut aisle, just not with the expectation of a week 1 starter.

26 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If the Colts decided to pick someone up after cuts SE would be cut and Eason would drop to #3 or PS

Ballard has been clear and consistent on the way he runs the team. I just dont see it. They will probably carry both guys on the roster because of Wentz injury history. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

IMO there will be some QBs waived that are better than SE. 

Not sure if they'd be better than Eason, or at least have his potential upside.

And <2 weeks isn't enough IMO to learn a playbook, gain chemistry, and start.. 

I'd definitely be shopping the cut aisle, just not with the expectation of a week 1 starter.

Unless there is a set back the Colts won’t need a week 1 starter

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ballard has been clear and consistent on the way he runs the team. I just dont see it. They will probably carry both guys on the roster because of Wentz injury history. 

I agree but if a QB is added after cut SE would be the one cut

4 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think it's more of the evolution of college football has created more dual threat QBs than ever. I wonder if Arch Manning is a pocket guy or has wheels?

Arch is a pocket passer with eyes in the back of his head. He's a decent scrambler, but wouldn't consider him a dual threat.

Here's two evals on Arch from 247..

EVALUATED BY

Gabe Brooks MIDLANDS REGION RECRUITING ANALYST

PROJECTION Power-5 Starter

Evaluation

10/16/2020Owns the requisite frame with good height and room to add mass. Pro-style passer with good functional athleticism defenses must account for, particularly as a scrambler and off-schedule playmaker. Excels throwing on the move. Capable of effective throws across his body on the run. Shows a quick, smooth, repeatable delivery and consistently stays on top of the ball, especially in the short-to-intermediate passing game, where he thrives. Accurate passer to all levels who can fit deeper throws into zone windows with appropriate mix of touch and velocity. Sixth-sense ability to feel pressure and avoid rushers. Athletic enough to scramble for chunk yardage but almost always looks to throw when breaking the pocket. One-of-a-kind quarterback pedigree that manifests in advanced feel for the game and awareness. Elite QB prospect among the nation's top recruits in the 2023 class. Likely a multi-year impact starter at the Power Five level with early-round NFL Draft potential.

EVALUATED BY

Evaluation

08/05/2020Possesses requisite higher-end frame for the QB position. A natural at the position who plays with impressive ease of motion and playmaking knack. Light on his feet with promising agility. Consistently sets and delivers. Varies arm angles when required and stays accurate regardless of circumstances. Dangerous when breaking the pocket and throwing on the run. Shows ability to throw with and against body and is particularly dangerous in red-zone scramble situations. Aware and feels pressure. Gets rid of the ball quickly with easily repeatable delivery. Provided strong production as a freshman, most notably a 34-6 TD-to-INT ratio. Also a solid basketball player. Owns extremely rare QB pedigree. Early returns put him among the nation's top QB's and overall prospects in the 2023 class with a ton of long-term upside.

23 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Unless there is a set back the Colts won’t need a week 1 starter

I agree but if a QB is added after cut SE would be the one cut

Yeah probably. I love his passion. unfortunately he doesn't have other necessary elements to his game. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's two evals on Arch from 247..

EVALUATED BY

Evaluation

10/16/2020Owns the requisite frame with good height and room to add mass. Pro-style passer with good functional athleticism defenses must account for, particularly as a scrambler and off-schedule playmaker. Excels throwing on the move. Capable of effective throws across his body on the run. Shows a quick, smooth, repeatable delivery and consistently stays on top of the ball, especially in the short-to-intermediate passing game, where he thrives. Accurate passer to all levels who can fit deeper throws into zone windows with appropriate mix of touch and velocity. Sixth-sense ability to feel pressure and avoid rushers. Athletic enough to scramble for chunk yardage but almost always looks to throw when breaking the pocket. One-of-a-kind quarterback pedigree that manifests in advanced feel for the game and awareness. Elite QB prospect among the nation's top recruits in the 2023 class. Likely a multi-year impact starter at the Power Five level with early-round NFL Draft potential.

EVALUATED BY

Evaluation

08/05/2020Possesses requisite higher-end frame for the QB position. A natural at the position who plays with impressive ease of motion and playmaking knack. Light on his feet with promising agility. Consistently sets and delivers. Varies arm angles when required and stays accurate regardless of circumstances. Dangerous when breaking the pocket and throwing on the run. Shows ability to throw with and against body and is particularly dangerous in red-zone scramble situations. Aware and feels pressure. Gets rid of the ball quickly with easily repeatable delivery. Provided strong production as a freshman, most notably a 34-6 TD-to-INT ratio. Also a solid basketball player. Owns extremely rare QB pedigree. Early returns put him among the nation's top QB's and overall prospects in the 2023 class with a ton of long-term upside.

It wouldn't be fair if the Colts had the number 1 pick in that draft. 

8 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

It wouldn't be fair if the Colts had the number 1 pick in that draft. 

Welp, 26 is the earliest he'll be available lol... Unless he reclassifies. 

One thing is for sure, if he continues to kill it in HS, the circus around him in college will be HUGE. People thought Lawrence's recruitment was big time... 

What's funny, is his freshman year (he started varsity) was actually a little better than his sophomore year.

Really interested to see where he ends up. I think he'll be a late commit in the class to ensure he goes to the right situation. Just hoping he doesn't go to Bama or Clemson. But he probably will lol.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Welp, 26 is the earliest he'll be available lol... Unless he reclassifies. 

One thing is for sure, if he continues to kill it in HS, the circus around him in college will be HUGE. People thought Lawrence's recruitment was big time... 

What's funny, is his freshman year (he started varsity) was actually a little better than his sophomore year.

Really interested to see where he ends up. I think he'll be a late commit in the class to ensure he goes to the right situation. Just hoping he doesn't go to Bama or Clemson. But he probably will lol.

Have a feeling he will end up as a legacy at Ole Miss 

27 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Frank Reich said after the game last night that the evaluation of Eason and Elingher will continue this week. That is clear they are unsure who will start at QB in game 1 if it's down to these two and Wentz can't go. I acknowledge that in the back of his mind Reich might be near certain that Wentz can start week 1 but until it's official i'm thinking about things in terms of Wentz not playing.

I think there is a lot of value to be had with the reps these guys get in practice with the other guys. You want your 1s practicing with the other 1s. (obviously injuries can derail that) 

Let me put it another way, if Wentz was healthy obviously he is clearly the starter. Would flip flopping who the 1st team QB is be the best way to get him and the rest of the offense ready to win week 1? I don't think many would advocate for that. 

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Have a feeling he will end up as a legacy at Ole Miss 

Maybe, but doubt it.

IMO, the family will be extremely shrewd when making the best choice for his future. That's probably not Ole Miss.

And who would want to send their 5 Star, once in a lifetime stud/son/nephew/grandkid, to a guy like Lane Kiffin?

IMO, it'll be between Bama, Clemson, and LSU. Two of the biggest blue bloods, and the hometown school.

21 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Frank Reich said after the game last night that the evaluation of Eason and Elingher will continue this week. That is clear they are unsure who will start at QB in game 1 if it's down to these two and Wentz can't go. I acknowledge that in the back of his mind Reich might be near certain that Wentz can start week 1 but until it's official i'm thinking about things in terms of Wentz not playing.

I think there is a lot of value to be had with the reps these guys get in practice with the other guys. You want your 1s practicing with the other 1s. (obviously injuries can derail that) 

Let me put it another way, if Wentz was healthy obviously he is clearly the starter. Would flip flopping who the 1st team QB is be the best way to get him and the rest of the offense ready to win week 1? I don't think many would advocate for that. 

Honestly, my view is I don’t think Frank hasn’t decided yet.   I think he knows, but isn’t saying. 

And I think the reason is to push both QBs to try to achieve as much as possible.  Frank doesn’t want either of his QBs to let up, to take nothing for granted. 

I have zero proof.   Nothing specific to point to,  but that’s my view.   

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, my view is I don’t think Frank hasn’t decided yet.   I think he knows, but isn’t saying. 

And I think the reason is to push both QBs to try to achieve as much as possible.  Frank doesn’t want either of his QBs to let up, to take nothing for granted. 

I have zero proof.   Nothing specific to point to,  but that’s my view.   

I agree he knows. 

I think it's likely to keep Seattle on the hook for preparing for multiple QBs.

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I see Sam as being able to drive the ball only about 8 yards downfield if going outside the hashmarks. Dungy would play press on him 90% of his snaps.

Yes it's great our guys can start working to get their legs back under them ASAP!

Maybe our biggest decision is who will be our 4th safety, 5th LB, 5th DE.

:colts:  :rawr:  :applause: 

I really don't think we keep SE on the 53, maybe on the PS but not on the 53. Other teams will make similar cuts too and backup QBs will be available if we need a 3rd truly for the 53.

Chiefs are not going to keep Anthony Gordon, will keep Chad Henne most likely.

Philly might get rid of Flacco or Nick Mullens.

Redskins have Taylor Heinicke, and Kyle Allen to go with Steven Montez and starter Fitzpatrick. Something has to give.

There will be better options than SE, IMO.

I thought almost all players played well Saturday.   Our QB's could have been better, but I thought they both showed some good things.  The D-line was good.   The running game didn't do great.  Why did they run Hines up the gut so often?   I was pretty happy with the performance.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Please stop.

I watched the game last night and saw the following:

Sam E is a practice squad player at this point.  I feel he could become a decent gadget QB running the RPO in small doses, not an entire game.  For those who claim his height isn't an issue, please re-watch the game, it is pretty evident.

Jacob led the team to victory but had some issues of his own.  His stat line would have looked better had he took some mustard off at least three passes.  He needs to work on that.  He is clearly the number 2 QB at this point.

RYS had a few nice plays, glad to see that!

Davenport played well and hopefully he continues to.

The overall Defense looked pretty good!

Hines showed why he is deserving of an extension with his RAC ability but PLEASE stop using him in short yardage.

Lastly, a win is a win, and I certainly feel good about this season as Wentz and Nelson are back at practice!

1 hour ago, WentzinRome said:

I watched the game last night and saw the following:

Sam E is a practice squad player at this point.  I feel he could become a decent gadget QB running the RPO in small doses, not an entire game.  For those who claim his height isn't an issue, please re-watch the game, it is pretty evident.

Jacob led the team to victory but had some issues of his own.  His stat line would have looked better had he took some mustard off at least three passes.  He needs to work on that.  He is clearly the number 2 QB at this point.

RYS had a few nice plays, glad to see that!

Davenport played well and hopefully he continues to.

The overall Defense looked pretty good!

Hines showed why he is deserving of an extension with his RAC ability but PLEASE stop using him in short yardage.

Lastly, a win is a win, and I certainly feel good about this season as Wentz and Nelson are back at practice!

I agree.   I wonder if they keep 3 QB's on the roster.   With Wentz, you almost have to.   Sam as #3 might be OK. 

On 8/22/2021 at 11:15 PM, ar7 said:

The alloted time for evaluation is 3 weeks of preseason games. Of course they're still evaluating them. 

On 8/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, smittywerb said:

- I think Ballard got one with Qwitty Paye.  First NFL action is he showed out.  Good pressure and got a sack.  I think he’s gonna eat when we have our starters out there.  Buck and Grover should take a lot of attention so he should get a lot of 1v1 opportunities

- It’s so good to Ben Banagou continue to have a good preseason.  His name was hot in training camp and we see why.  Injuries has plagued him so far so hopefully he stays healthy and can be a good DE.  I think Ballard has possibly put together a nice young DE core with Paye (rookie), Turay, Banagou, and Muhammad (rookie)

- our defense is going to be legit again.  The depth looks good.  Ballard has done a good job putting together this defense.  Most of the talent is homegrown.

- Sam E has a lot of growing to do.  His arm isn’t there.  Right now he’s a check down artist and teams know.  Threw 2 picks with one of them being a pick 6.  He need time.  I still think he can develop into a good qb but right now he’s solidified his spot as the 3rd qb

- Jacob Eason was rocky when he took over from Sam but he had a good second half.  Touch is still a problem for him but he made good reads and the correct throws.  Probably was worked up taking over from Sam but once he settled in he once again looked like a pro.  I would be fine with Eason starting week 1 if wentz isn’t ready

- Good to see Mack out there.  It’s sad Wilkins isn’t gonna make the team because I don’t see us keeping 4 running backs but he deserves to go somewhere and shine 

- everything else was pretty meh or not worth mentioning.  Will say doe I would like to see more of our offense starters out there bc rn this offense is giving me anxiety

Wilkins IMO makes the team, they will keep 4 backs!

I'm rewatching now. Done with the 1st half....

• Our 1st team DL didn't do all that great early vs MN's 1s on the OL (who are ranked bottom 10).... Cousins had a lot of time.
  • Our DBs had several blow coverage instances. Thankfully, Cousins didn't see them, or they were further down his progressions. 
  • Ehlinger - Bad start, settled down after the P6. Still, his completions were easy ones. I've seen several try to make excuses for the INTs. You can say "tipped ball" on the first, or "donked helmet" on the second, but both were simply bad decisions. The fist was into tight double coverage (actually 3 guys close, and there were other open options). The second was also tight coverage. He missed a lot of other open guys on different plays throughout settling for a lot of short tosses, or simply tried to force things. He did have some nice quick tosses, but again, those are easy low skill passes. Would have like to see him throwing on the move a bit, and more RPO too.
  • Pascal looked pretty good. He was the safety valve on a lot of plays, but was very reliable. 

Archived