Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whether we take LT or DE in the first....

...  the more I think about it,  the more I think we should all be prepared that Sam Tevi will be our starting LT on Week 1 for the 2021 season.

I think there are only two serious Day One starters at LT in this draft,  Sewell and Slater.    I think everyone else will need some type of On The Job Training.   A learning curve.

So,  even if we get a LT we like either at 21 or 54, or any other number in between,  I think that player won't be ready week one,  and likely won't be ready until the game after the Bye Week at the earliest.    And maybe,  might need a full rookie redshirt year.     Honestly,  I think that view should be considered as a very probable outcome.

I know this won't be popular....   but we signed Tevi pretty quickly in FA.   He has started 44 of the last 48 regular season games.    I think we believe we can make him competent for as long as we need him to start.     Not sure he will ever grade better than 70,  but perhaps up into the 60's?    It's not ideal,  but a rookie LT could easily be worse.    The more I think about this,  the more this is the view that feels the most probable.    I'm not saying a rookie LT can't start week one.    I'm saying it's less than 50/50 odds in my view that it happens.   Especially for a team that has high expectations to make the playoffs,  and a new QB that needs to feel good about his blindside.

Your thoughts are welcome here.....         in 3...  2..  1....      :peek:

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

...  the more I think about it,  the more I think we should all be prepared that Sam Tevi will be our starting LT on Week 1 for the 2021 season.

I think there are only two serious Day One starters at LT in this draft,  Sewell and Slater.    I think everyone else will need some type of On The Job Training.   A learning curve.

So,  even if we get a LT we like either at 21 or 54, or any other number in between,  I think that player won't be ready week one,  and likely won't be ready until the game after the Bye Week at the earliest.    And maybe,  might need a full rookie redshirt year.     Honestly,  I think that view should be considered as a very probable outcome.

I know this won't be popular....   but we signed Tevi pretty quickly in FA.   He has started 44 of the last 48 regular season games.    I think we believe we can make him competent for as long as we need him to start.     Not sure he will ever grade better than 70,  but perhaps up into the 60's?    It's not ideal,  but a rookie LT could easily be worse.    The more I think about this,  the more this is the view that feels the most probable.    I'm not saying a rookie LT can't start week one.    I'm saying it's less than 50/50 odds in my view that it happens.   Especially for a team that has high expectations to make the playoffs,  and a new QB that needs to feel good about his blindside.

Your thoughts are welcome here.....         in 3...  2..  1....      :peek:

I will join you in the unpopular crowd 

The price for a T at 21 is insane unless on of the to 2 drop.  Sewell wont be there. Neither will Darrisaw.    So if youre good drafting Jenkins (who I love) and letting him sit a while.    You have to go another route.    There will be A LOT of players graded above him or the rest of the OT that can start immediately.    You can't draft a "hope so" in the first round. 

We had no issues with a late round pick up last yr in the playoffs.  

I've said it before and I will stick to it.   CB and WR will be the best values when we pick    Unless its a trade back.  

I'm with you NCF

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

^^^ THIS ^^^

I partially agree. CB, yes but WR, no. After the Top 3 (Chase, Smith and Waddle), IMO, I don’t think any WR is someone that’s a game wrecker that would need to be game planned for at No.21.

CBs, I have not seen Ballard emphasize a man corner lately outside RYS, and that was at No.34. With Tell coming back, and Rhodes re-signed, I seriously have doubts that Ballard leans  towards a cornerback.

So, whether it’s OT or DE, there’s going to be seasoning to do. So you draft one with the highest potential or move back, it’s as simple as that. There’s no certainty with the draft anyways but given how Castanzo and Tony Ugoh played in their rookie years, you can always work with potential to maximize it though Ugoh was a project pick at too vital a position and we got by, thanks to Peyton's HOF release. My :2c:

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

If Tevi starts, god help Wentz

Yep.

All you need to do is read this:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/28/indianapolis-colts-sam-tevi-signing-pff-least-favorite/

In Tevi’s three years of starting experience, he has produced the worst pass-block grade among tackles (51.6) and has allowed more pressure than anyone in that group (134). For reference, Castonzo gave up just 78 quarterback pressures in that same span and less than half the total number of sacks and hits combined.

Frankly, I hope whoever is our starter is not Tevi, and stays healthy so that Tevi does not see the field too much.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agree with @MPStack, I do not care for the EDGE class, so I'm hoping 1st round goes for Darrisaw or Cosmi, and I believe either could start day one.

Cosmi moves different than most OTs... he looks like a TE with ball in his hands... 

For me the LT is the most important position on the team behind QB and ahead of ER.  They go  1 2 3 . AC was drafted at 22 and started and played a decade for us.  This OT class is loaded and the position is a major need.  Besides Ballard has said he loves the trenches.  I find it hard to believe he will pass on LT with our 1st pick given the circumstances.  Even with Tevi.  We should take this opportunity to draft another LT and have him there for 10 years.  If we do draft one with our 1st pick you can bet he will start next to Q.  Can't see otherwise unless he gets dinged in camp.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

For me the LT is the most important position on the team behind QB and ahead of ER.  They go  1 2 3 . AC was drafted at 22 and started and played a decade for us.  This OT class is loaded and the position is a major need.  Besides Ballard has said he loves the trenches.  I find it hard to believe he will pass on LT with our 1st pick given the circumstances.  Even with Tevi.  We should take this opportunity to draft another LT and have him there for 10 years.  If we do draft one with our 1st pick you can bet he will start next to Q.  Can't see otherwise unless he gets dinged in camp.  

I’m not saying don’t draft a LT in the first.  That’s what I prefer.

Im just saying whoever we draft is likely not going to be ready to start on Day One.  I base that on what I read.   I think that’s why we signed Tevi so quickly. 

If our guy IS ready on Day One — great!  So much the better.   I’d be thrilled! 

We just need to root for pass rushers and LBs to be drafted more before No.21 along with the expected 5 QBs so that we have a couple of OT options available, to be honest.

Picks 17 through 20 will determine a lot for us with those teams possibly going in many directions that include OL as to the options remaining for OT

1. Raiders, if they go OL, it would be interior OL.

2. Dolphins can go LB, OL, RB (assuming they have already taken care of their WR)

3. WFT can go QB, LB, OL

4. Bears did lose CBs and a starting QB, plus need WRs, so I doubt they go OL

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another interesting mock before the draft.  PFF has us drafting Little at 21 after Sewel, Darrisaw, and Slater go before us.  Jenkins, Cosmi and the rest after our pick.  I would be happy with any of these five.  Position secured for the next decade.

PFF is very, VERY Big on Little!   Very!

I love Little, and while I’m not a scout and easily could be wrong, I think I prefer Cosmi by a Little over Little!   (I think...).   :thmup:

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love Little, and while I’m not a scout and easily could be wrong, I think I prefer Cosmi by a Little over Little!   (I think...).   :thmup:

Very true.  Too close to call for me.  All I know is what I read and see for myself.  I do value PFF because that’s all they focus on is pro football.  And their statistics and rationale are impressive.  I think they do an excellent job presenting their evaluations.  I would bet a lot of teams buy their analytics and encompass it in their ratings.  They do love Little that’s for sure.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

One might say there isn't a ... cosmos of difference between them. 

OK, I will show myself out... :runforhills:

To @NewColtsFan I agree with your post, yet hope Darrisaw or Cosmi are available at 21.  Tevi and Davenport are still young and have actual NFL starts, but hope for one one of the above ;).

Btw, I am a long time lurker, since Peyton was around, and longer time Colts fan, Bert Jones days, and respect your knowledge on the game.  I remember you posting your "resume" and it was quite impressive.  I look forward to hopefully conversing with you further.

Colts are big on Darrisaw and Jenkins and Cosmo and Eichemberg ND I think Jenkins cause he can play any and be great. We need DE Badly and corner so I see trade down pick up a 3 n 5th. Take best corner or end at 54. And 3 4th rd they will take a TE. From ND Tremble this will happen . sorry but they blew it 2nd rd pick on can't even remember his name. The other end we have has this year show up !!! Apologize for names to Fed up with both careless bout their names. ..... We have reboot and find least one end that can actually show up. If not what talent we do have will go by way side and just be wasted !! I like Or Gm but he has blown DE * instead of great football game tape chose numbers over actual football players :(:(

On 4/9/2021 at 12:58 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not saying don’t draft a LT in the first.  That’s what I prefer.

Im just saying whoever we draft is likely not going to be ready to start on Day One.  I base that on what I read.   I think that’s why we signed Tevi so quickly. 

If our guy IS ready on Day One — great!  So much the better.   I’d be thrilled! 

There IS another possibility. Let’s say your scenario plays out just as suggested:  the Colts draft a LT who isn’t quite ready ( 2nd rounder ); Tevi opens the season as the starter; BUT, Tevi proves to be a turnstile. What to do? Big Q to the rescue. In a pinch, why not? You do it until your rookie is ready for the full time job and fill in at LG with one of the backups like Pinter. The opposition to moving Q to LT is far less convincing if Plan A has bombed. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

There IS another possibility. Let’s say your scenario plays out just as suggested:  the Colts draft a LT who isn’t quite ready ( 2nd rounder ); Tevi opens the season as the starter; BUT, Tevi proves to be a turnstile. What to do? Big Q to the rescue. In a pinch, why not? You do it until your rookie is ready for the full time job and fill in at LG with one of the backups like Pinter. The opposition to moving Q to LT is far less convincing if Plan A has bombed. 

I believe before we move Q, we will try every other option first.    So, Davenport and Holden would get a look before moving Q.

I think that option is the last option the Colts will try.    I’m saying this because I believe our off-season actions are saying this.   Tevi, JD, Holden, and a rookie tells me they only want to move Q as a last resort. 

I suspect you won’t like this answer.   I get that.    I could easily be wrong, but that’s my hunch. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

There are still a couple vets out there that we might be able to pick up if we don’t draft a tackle. 

Given that this is a deep class of tackles and Irsay has already said he expects the Colts will address the position in the draft, I think the chances of not drafting a tackle are almost zero.  

I think it’s only a question of when, and not if. 

Our first pick will likely be an OT, and no matter who it is, he’ll be treated as a Day 1 starter.  There will be plenty of OJT, but the talent level of all the possible draftees will be much higher than Tevi or Davenport...

On 4/8/2021 at 8:55 PM, BluesGirl said:

I will join you in the unpopular crowd 

The price for a T at 21 is insane unless on of the to 2 drop.  Sewell wont be there. Neither will Darrisaw.    So if youre good drafting Jenkins (who I love) and letting him sit a while.    You have to go another route.    There will be A LOT of players graded above him or the rest of the OT that can start immediately.    You can't draft a "hope so" in the first round. 

We had no issues with a late round pick up last yr in the playoffs.  

I've said it before and I will stick to it.   CB and WR will be the best values when we pick    Unless its a trade back.  

I'm with you NCF

There's a big difference between "hoping a pick pans out" and taking a solid starter who needs a little seasoning.... Those scenarios are not the same

I am coming around that if Paye or Phillips is there at 21 we should take them. We are going to have to take a risk at edge to get that position fixed. Phillips concussions are very concerning but it could pay off. It is a deep enough tackle class we can get one in the second. Ballard has done a nice job bringing in experienced tackle depth we should be ok. 

Archived