Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The fun starts Wednesday (good article from Colts.com)

EastStreet

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is probably going to he cheap between injuries and his suspension. It would probably just be taking a flyer on him.

fuller is  a monster when healthy  he can be a top 5 wr in the league .    the only problem is i dont know how much the steroids helped him .   He could not be a monster when off the ped's .

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

fuller is  a monster when healthy  he can be a top 5 wr in the league .    the only problem is i dont know how much the steroids helped him .   He could not be a monster when off the ped's .

What substance was it?  I can't find anything... must be a NFL policy.

So happy to see Mack back. Give me Hooker on a cheap one year deal too.

Feels like Ballard is securing a lot of low dollar and value contracts thus far. I expect the negotiations and shopping for the larger contracts to take some time, but wouldn't be surprised to see them start popping. 

Need Rhodes in a big way. Samuel is still available at WR. 

I'd take Fuller, but I think he has an inflated value given his health and other issues. 

Might we see Sheard back on a cheap deal? Lots of aging but very productive DEs still available. Still holding out hope for Houston.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The thing is if Ballard sucked at drafting i would be upset too. Bottom line is he has done well through the draft.

Build within!

Like I've said in the million Ballard threads, improving a bad roster is easy. Improving a solid roster like we have now, with big contracts due on the horizon, gets much harder. 

He's not done very well at DE. Aside from short term gap fillers like Houston and Autry (which were very good gets), and right now we're without 2, still without a CB, and still without a WR1 and LT.

That's 5 key positions. 2, maybe 3, can be solved in the draft. Let's hope we see movement on the a few in FA soon.

The longer this goes with Houston/DE and Rhodes, the more worried I get to be honest.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Like I've said in the million Ballard threads, improving a bad roster is easy. Improving a solid roster like we have now, with big contracts due on the horizon, gets much harder. 

He's not done very well at DE. Aside from short term gap fillers like Houston and Autry (which were very good gets), and right now we're without 2, still without a CB, and still without a WR1 and LT.

That's 5 key positions. 2, maybe 3, can be solved in the draft. Let's hope we see movement on the a few in FA soon.

The longer this goes with Houston/DE and Rhodes, the more worried I get to be honest.

No reason to worry my friend. Ballard will make some noise but patience is key. 

There have been several reports the past few days saying the odds are increasing Hilton returns.  The latest being Kenny Moore tweeting that they already have Hilton back.  Steven holder said no deal is about to happen but stay tuned.  

If Hilton and Pascal return scratch WR off the early draft list with Pittman and Campbell also back.  

If Ballard keeps Rhodes which there seems to be no news about at all which is odd given his past season (and I don’t just mean with the Colts I mean with the league as a whole) I think Ballard targets end, Tackle, and maybe tightend in the draft.  You could see a low cost vet signed at one of those spots.  

The other area to watch is safety. I think the Colts have two starters but zero depth behind them.

15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

No reason to worry my friend. Ballard will make some noise but patience is key. 

I'm no where near panic level. 

It's just we have some major holes, and I expected a few of the positions to be locked in today. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe now that schefter has said this the people who ignored what several here spent all season saying and got upset when the Colts didn’t play fantasy football with them will understand why the Colts aren’t spending money on big name free agents.

Yup. And now perhaps some will understand why many didn't like JB's contract in year 2, basically reducing potential carryover.

That said, I think the big contracts coming up is only part of the reason. It's also typical Ballard. I am confident he has a plan. That doesn't mean his plan falls the way he hopes lol.....

My hope now, with a lot of FAs off the board, hasn't changed all that much.

1st Round - DE

2nd Round - LT

4th and 5th round - 2 of WR/CB/TE/LB

Re-sign Houston 8-9m/y

Re-sign Rhodes 8-9m/y

FA1 - Breshad Perriman (or similar Z/Slot) 8m/y

FA2 - TE Dan Arnold 1 or 2m/y

Resign Walker if he's cheap, if not, some other MIKE

Just a few links on reported interest

Report: Colts Have ‘Preliminary Interest’ in Falcons Free Agent Safety Keanu Neal

Former PBer SS/Box safety. Depth, or looking to upgrade Willis?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/16/22334791/report-colts-have-preliminary-interest-in-falcons-free-agent-safety-keanu-neal

Report: Colts Have Shown Interest in 49ers Free Agent Nickelback K’Waun Williams

Similar profile to Carrie. I like Carrie better, but Williams is a good NB2 too. Carrie is probably a better depth CB

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/16/22335156/report-colts-have-shown-interest-in-49ers-free-agent-nickelback-kwaun-williams

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

According to Stephen Reid of stampede blue when Ballard was in KC they wanted to draft Wentz but his draft stock rose to much. The new they drafted Mahomes a year later.  So Ballard had to really love this move too.

Keep in mind Ballard wasn't the only voice in KC at the time, and wasn't making the final decisions. But it's not surprising, as most liked Wentz. He was considered a top 10 prospect before the draft.

On 3/14/2021 at 10:50 PM, EastStreet said:

Well, technically it kinda starts tomorrow, we just won't likely hear about much the first couple days.

So here's a must read article from Colts.com for anyone unfamiliar with what to expect in the next few weeks. There's some big dates. 

https://www.colts.com/news/nfl-free-agency-2021-league-year-salary-cap-restricted-unrestricted-free-agent

For the lazy, here's some cliff notes and a few adds.

Beginning tomorrow

• Legal tampering begins, which means teams can start negotiating with FAs

At 4pm on Wednesday

• The Wentz trade becomes official, as will all other trades made to date for the upcoming season.
  • The Colts, and other teams, can begin to sign their UFAs.
    • The Colts' UFAs are Brissett, Marlon Mack, Hilton, Burton, Le'Raven Clark, Chaz Green, Joey Hunt, Houston, Autry, Al-Quadin Muhammed, Walker, Rhodes, Carrie, Hooker, and Tavon Wilson.
    • Ballard will certainly allow FAs time to explore the market, but wouldn't be shocked to see some quick extensions. Keep in mind that we're shopping, while they're being shopped.
  • Teams must submit qualifying offers to RFAs and ERFAs. 
    • Both Colts ERFAs (Dulin and Stallworth) have already been signed to one year extensions.
    • Colts RFAs are Pascal (UDFA), Mo-Alie Cox (UDFA), Tremon Smith (6th) and George Odum (UDFA)
      • Potential offer types are 1st round, 2nd round, original round, and right of first refusal.
        • First Round $4,766,000

• Second Round $3,384,000

• Right of First Refusal $2,133,000

• Only Smith would be eligible for original round tender.
  • All 32 teams must be under the $182.5M cap by 4pm.
    • That means teams in the negative will have to do something in the next 3 days..... Hopefully Ballard is shopping down the following the aisles.... 
      • Teams in negative cap situations
        • Rams -33.9
        • Bears -19.3
        • Eagles -18.1
        • Falcons -15.7
        • Saints -9.4
        • Packers -2.4

LOL and  absolutely nothing,Zero has happened after 3 days ,as usual 

2 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

LOL and  absolutely nothing,Zero has happened after 3 days ,as usual 

Like I said in the OP, I didn't expect to hear anything from the Colts early. 

I am a little surprised they haven't locked up either Rhodes or Houston (or another DE) yet.

i believe building through the draft 100 Percent but this year  we had a chance to be real contenders if we picked up a high level  edge rusher corner and wr .    without it and using the draft  we would have to wait at least two or three years to be true contenders because we gave the eagles two picks a 1st and a 3rd unless wentz has a season ending injury .   

its gonna put ballard in a tough spot during the draft if he has to look to replace a starting left tackle two starting Defensive ends two starting outside corners because rock has not proven he is one yet and moore plays inside .   then go and find a another wr  and tight end because doyle is gone next year and is getting old .  its a lot to asks for when we are picking at 21 and have no 3rd round pick and no 1st next year.

19 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

its gonna put ballard in a tough spot during the draft if he has to look to replace a starting left tackle two starting Defensive ends two starting outside corners because rock has not proven he is one yet and moore plays inside .   then go and find a another wr  and tight end because doyle is gone next year and is getting old .  its a lot to asks for when we are picking at 21 and have no 3rd round pick and no 1st next year.

Ballard sure does force himself to hit big on the draft every year.

Archived