Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The fun starts Wednesday (good article from Colts.com)

EastStreet

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

Also Jalen Mills. 

No way Bill didn't cheat and talk before the period. How the heck could they be able to sign so many guys THIS fast

If you think there is no 'tampering' going on before the start date you are mistaken. 

IMO every team in the NFL are doing it and have always did it. 

What the GMs and coaches do over the phone and in private is exactly that. If your team is not doing it they are slacking. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Looks like you guys interested in TY. I wouldn't mind him landing there with Roger's throwing to him. If he can stay healthy,  Rogers will get good production out of him.

If he's healthy he will be productive here

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can tell it’s a strong WR draft class because WR aren’t getting snatched up right away. This should help get Hilton back.

Want TY back for the sentimental value and the fact he may go off somewhere else. 

But, would rather have Samuel or Golladay if they really are projected to get less than expected.

Been a much quieter day than I expected overall. And I didn’t expect the Pats to be the ones doing the barking. 

That Thuney deal set a real nice table for big Q to count his money on... 

Seems to me the longer we wait the more we’re gonna have to pay when we do so if I were Ballard I’d be taking the hit now and making it an advantage down the road, and we’ll see what things look like at the end of that deal. 

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

We won't do much and that's fine with me 

Sometimes the best strategy is to sit back and let other teams sign the high-priced free agents. The winners of free agency never seem to win the Super Bowl. :)

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We need a edge so bad. Yannick was a steal for the raiders. We have to find a way to upgrade that position. It’s disappointing because they aren’t even costing that much. We will see where Lawson and Reddick go. Ballard is going to have to get lucky with edge because he is bad at drafting edge.

Ngakoue is purely a pass rusher. Wonder if that’s why they didn’t have interest. But yeah...that’s basically what they gave a 30 year-old Houston a couple years ago...and Yannick is a better player at this point than Houston was.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you think there is no 'tampering' going on before the start date you are mistaken. 

IMO every team in the NFL are doing it and have always did it. 

What the GMs and coaches do over the phone and in private is exactly that. If your team is not doing it they are slacking. 

True.

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Sometimes the best strategy is to sit back and let other teams sign the high-priced free agents. The winners of free agency never seem to win the Super Bowl. :)

Usually true, besides last year. Lol I’m usually fine with Ballard’s approach. Always makes free agency a little less exciting though.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We need a edge so bad. Yannick was a steal for the raiders. We have to find a way to upgrade that position. It’s disappointing because they aren’t even costing that much. We will see where Lawson and Reddick go. Ballard is going to have to get lucky with edge because he is bad at drafting edge.

Ahhh....   I see you’re in mid-season form!

Reddick is a linebacker in a 3-4 defense.   Wherever he goes it won’t be to Indy. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Ngakoue is purely a pass rusher. Wonder if that’s why they didn’t have interest. But yeah...that’s basically what they gave a 30 year-old Houston a couple years ago...and Yannick is a better player at this point than Houston was.

A one dimensional Ngoukwe is better than a two-way Houston?   Hmmm?   I’d say Ballatd disagrees. 

3 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

I hope you guys kick butt in FA. You already got Wentz but I hope you keep improving your team. Your an easy team to pull for.

Thanks but we are content being a middle of the road team. We have some of our own free agents that would like a shot at the SB so hopefully the Pack will sign a few if them.

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We normally just rush 4 and the defensive scheme really is not going to provide as many sacks as other defenses do. 

Just because we don't have big sack numbers does not mean we are lacking in that department. 

Just saying. 

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah..we surely don't want a good affordable pass young rusher...heavens no!

13 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Usually true, besides last year. Lol I’m usually fine with Ballard’s approach. Always makes free agency a little less exciting though.

I love Ballard's approach. Building through the draft is my preference. I'm not a fan of signing high-priced free agents. Some of this stuff is crazy. $20 Million for Trent Williams?! That's ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wow what the hell is Ballard doing. That is not even that much. Our dline about ready to suck.

I'm sure he has a plan, but shocked that he didn't retain Autry for $7 million a year with only $9 guaranteed. I wanted Autry back more than Houston. 

He's so smart, so I'm sure he has his eye set on a replacement at that rate.

If we lose Rhodes too to a less than expected contract tho, I will be a little upset.

i tried to tell everyone ballard is not gonna sign any of our veterans he is gonna go grab underrated guys on the last day when they are cheap . calm down we cannot afford to resign all 3 pro bowl level guys plus spend big with 45 million .  We are getting a pass rusher and tackle or corner first 2 rounds of the draft  then grabbing one underrated cheap pass rusher and corner and wr for around 25 million a year or less and saving 20 million for our guys  so when the cap goes up 20 million next year and doyle contract is up and kelly and buckner goes down we have 50 plus million to sign our guys

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wow what the hell is Ballard doing. That is not even that much. Our dline about ready to suck.

You aren’t new here.  You know he doesn’t make splash moves.  Give it time I am sure he has a plan even if it’s not clear to us yet.

14 minutes ago, craigerb said:

I guess it's all relative.

in nfl free agent standard under ten million a year is cheap .   people think we have 45 million to spend on free agents but forget we have 3 probowl level guys that need to be signed by next year and they will fetch close to 20 million a piece on the open market .   i rather pay our guys then bring in free agents .there is a reason free agents hit the market because their teams think they wont work hard after they get paid they know them well .   

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Hopefully Autry walking is a sign they believe Tyquan Lewis is ready to take over.  We need one of these 2nd round lineman to take over a starting role. 

That’s what I figure would happen when Lewis showed a pulse at times last year. Put up or shut up time for him this year.

ben will shine so will turray pass rushers and corners take the most time to develop .  look at reddick on the cardinals 3 years getting 1 or 2 sacks a year then goes off for 12 sacks .  jerry hughes same thing and so many other examples .  vontae davis was a bust until he came to the colts ,so was the colts corner we gave away to the bears .  our young guys like muhamad , ben , turray , lewis will be primed for a take over this year along with rock ya sin  , rogers , tell  .  

Once we have a good roster like we already have , to go to the next level we need to develop our guys in the draft and off waivers . get cheap guys and get them to outperform their contracts like good teams do . Look at the ravens every year they let go off their big name free agents and re draft them and they have had a top 3 talented roster since 2000 .  You cannot be a elite team every year without developing young cheap later round picks and undrafted players . 

trent williams keeps coming up for the colts from the 49ers . he is older but can sign a one year deal  because the colts do not have to sign nelson until 2023 if they hit his 5th year option .   they can splurged on trent on a one year deal and have cap right back up next year .  with that move colts can go corner and pass rusher in the first two rounds then go tackle next years draft early .   That would solve rhodes if he leaves and autry . 

10 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Thanks East.

Of note, this article was written by our NEW Colts beat writer, JJ Stankevitz. JJ was most recently the beat writer (out of Chicago) for the Bears and Notre Dame. He's also married to a gal from Indianapolis who is a rabid Colts fan.

Andrew Walker has mostly left the building - he's now at Ball State marketing and communications.

Yup. I've read a few things from him on ND, but don't know much about him.

I do appreciate the detail in which he wrote the article. It included a lot of things we don't normally see on team type of updates. The only things I would have added, I added in the cliff notes (like $$ for RFAs).

10 hours ago, Myles said:

The bolded are the 9 players I'd most like to see them bring back.   Of course on fair deals.  

The Colts' UFAs are Brissett, Marlon Mack, Hilton, Burton, Le'Raven Clark, Chaz Green, Joey Hunt, Houston, Autry, Al-Quadin Muhammed, Walker, Rhodes, Carrie, Hooker, and Tavon Wilson.

Ballard will certainly allow FAs time to explore the market, but wouldn't be shocked to see some quick extensions. Keep in mind that we're shopping, while they're being shopped.

Teams must submit qualifying offers to RFAs and ERFAs. 

Both Colts ERFAs (Dulin and Stallworth) have already been signed to one year extensions.

Colts RFAs are Pascal (UDFA), Mo-Alie Cox (UDFA), Tremon Smith (6th) and George Odum (UDFA)

My top 6 in order of most importance

Rhodes

MAC - it's really a no brainer for us given he's a RFA. We just need to utilize him more in the passing game.

Houston - as long as it's a value 

Autry - as long as it's a value

Pascal - another no brainer RFA

Carrie - One of the best depth CBs in the league, and really could be a starting NB somewhere

Odum and Smith should be very easy to bring back, and should be if only for STs. 

I'd love to see both Hooker and Mack come back on cheap contracts if they are healthy. Wilson is a quality depth S and graded out well when called into action. Looked really good early season. AQM too, but only if good value. 

Archived