Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The fun starts Wednesday (good article from Colts.com)

EastStreet

Well, technically it kinda starts tomorrow, we just won't likely hear about much the first couple days.

So here's a must read article from Colts.com for anyone unfamiliar with what to expect in the next few weeks. There's some big dates. 

https://www.colts.com/news/nfl-free-agency-2021-league-year-salary-cap-restricted-unrestricted-free-agent

For the lazy, here's some cliff notes and a few adds.

Beginning tomorrow

• Legal tampering begins, which means teams can start negotiating with FAs

At 4pm on Wednesday

• The Wentz trade becomes official, as will all other trades made to date for the upcoming season.
  • The Colts, and other teams, can begin to sign their UFAs.
    • The Colts' UFAs are Brissett, Marlon Mack, Hilton, Burton, Le'Raven Clark, Chaz Green, Joey Hunt, Houston, Autry, Al-Quadin Muhammed, Walker, Rhodes, Carrie, Hooker, and Tavon Wilson.
    • Ballard will certainly allow FAs time to explore the market, but wouldn't be shocked to see some quick extensions. Keep in mind that we're shopping, while they're being shopped.
  • Teams must submit qualifying offers to RFAs and ERFAs. 
    • Both Colts ERFAs (Dulin and Stallworth) have already been signed to one year extensions.
    • Colts RFAs are Pascal (UDFA), Mo-Alie Cox (UDFA), Tremon Smith (6th) and George Odum (UDFA)
      • Potential offer types are 1st round, 2nd round, original round, and right of first refusal.
        • First Round $4,766,000

• Second Round $3,384,000

• Right of First Refusal $2,133,000

• Only Smith would be eligible for original round tender.
  • All 32 teams must be under the $182.5M cap by 4pm.
    • That means teams in the negative will have to do something in the next 3 days..... Hopefully Ballard is shopping down the following the aisles.... 
      • Teams in negative cap situations
        • Rams -33.9
        • Bears -19.3
        • Eagles -18.1
        • Falcons -15.7
        • Saints -9.4
        • Packers -2.4

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Well, technically it kinda starts tomorrow, we just won't likely hear about much the first couple days.

I think it will be the opposite.

We will hear about a lot of deals the next couple days(especially some of the bigger names), just wont be official till Wednesday.

Just now, w87r said:

I think it will be the opposite.

We will hear about a lot of deals the next couple days(especially some of the bigger names), just wont be official till Wednesday.

I was talking mostly from Indy's perspective. 

What interests me almost as much as the Colts, is how teams with heavy neg situations will handle things, and what guys maybe cut or fire sale traded.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I was talking mostly from Indy's perspective. 

What interests me almost as much as the Colts, is how teams with heavy neg situations will handle things, and what guys maybe cut or fire sale traded.

Definitely a few teams limping in on getting back to positive cap space.

NO has done a great job of almost getting back from -$100m.

Anyone see Taysom Hill's 4yr $140m extension? All fake money.

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yup. I hate that the NFL allows this nonsense. It's a total sheet show maneuver and just pushes some of the spend down the road.

Just feels like we're going to see more and more fake $, and more dead cap %. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So here's a must read article from Colts.com for anyone unfamiliar with what to expect in the next few weeks. There's some big dates. 

https://www.colts.com/news/nfl-free-agency-2021-league-year-salary-cap-restricted-unrestricted-free-agent

Thanks East.

Of note, this article was written by our NEW Colts beat writer, JJ Stankevitz. JJ was most recently the beat writer (out of Chicago) for the Bears and Notre Dame. He's also married to a gal from Indianapolis who is a rabid Colts fan.

Andrew Walker has mostly left the building - he's now at Ball State marketing and communications.

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Thanks East.

Of note, this article was written by our NEW Colts beat writer, JJ Stankevitz. JJ was most recently the beat writer (out of Chicago) for the Bears and Notre Dame. He's also married to a gal from Indianapolis who is a rabid Colts fan.

Andrew Walker has mostly left the building - he's now at Ball State marketing and communications.

Jake Arthur gone too? I know he got laid off for covid but was hoping he would come back. He is doing a podcast and some writing for SI and enjoying being a stay at home dad.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The bolded are the 9 players I'd most like to see them bring back.   Of course on fair deals.  

The Colts' UFAs are Brissett, Marlon Mack, Hilton, Burton, Le'Raven Clark, Chaz Green, Joey Hunt, Houston, Autry, Al-Quadin Muhammed, Walker, Rhodes, Carrie, Hooker, and Tavon Wilson.

Ballard will certainly allow FAs time to explore the market, but wouldn't be shocked to see some quick extensions. Keep in mind that we're shopping, while they're being shopped.

Teams must submit qualifying offers to RFAs and ERFAs. 

Both Colts ERFAs (Dulin and Stallworth) have already been signed to one year extensions.

Colts RFAs are Pascal (UDFA), Mo-Alie Cox (UDFA), Tremon Smith (6th) and George Odum (UDFA)

12 hours ago, w87r said:

I know its not your job to explain this but...I read a couple articles on this but still can't make sense of how this saved them money. This is the closest thing I've found that explains how they save cap space with move:

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Hill simply gets the $12.159 million he was supposed to earn this year. The addition of the four phony years, regardless of fake salaries, allows for the creation of $7.75 million in cap space." From PFT/Florio

If hes still making the same salary how does this save them money? Can someone help me out please?

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

For the lazy, here's some cliff notes and a few adds.

Beginning tomorrow

• Legal tampering begins, which means teams can start negotiating with FAs

At 4pm on Wednesday

• The Wentz trade becomes official, as will all other trades made to date for the upcoming season.
  • The Colts, and other teams, can begin to sign their UFAs.
    • The Colts' UFAs are Brissett, Marlon Mack, Hilton, Burton, Le'Raven Clark, Chaz Green, Joey Hunt, Houston, Autry, Al-Quadin Muhammed, Walker, Rhodes, Carrie, Hooker, and Tavon Wilson.
    • Ballard will certainly allow FAs time to explore the market, but wouldn't be shocked to see some quick extensions. Keep in mind that we're shopping, while they're being shopped.
  • Teams must submit qualifying offers to RFAs and ERFAs. 
    • Both Colts ERFAs (Dulin and Stallworth) have already been signed to one year extensions.
    • Colts RFAs are Pascal (UDFA), Mo-Alie Cox (UDFA), Tremon Smith (6th) and George Odum (UDFA)
      • Potential offer types are 1st round, 2nd round, original round, and right of first refusal.
        • First Round $4,766,000

• Second Round $3,384,000

• Right of First Refusal $2,133,000

• Only Smith would be eligible for original round tender.
  • All 32 teams must be under the $182.5M cap by 4pm.
    • That means teams in the negative will have to do something in the next 3 days..... Hopefully Ballard is shopping down the following the aisles.... 
      • Teams in negative cap situations
        • Rams -33.9
        • Bears -19.3
        • Eagles -18.1
        • Falcons -15.7
        • Saints -9.4
        • Packers -2.4

One thing I don't understand is why more teams don't put a 2nd round tender on guys.  Unless you consider the player a roster bubble type player, that 1.2 million isn't a big difference but that 2nd round pick is a huge difference when it comes to if teams decide if they are going to offer an RFA or not.  

Both Pascal and Cox should be given 2nd round tenders.  If a team wants to give us a 2nd round pick for them great, but with the right of first refusal you are basically just allowing yourself to enter into a bidding war with any team that wants him.  

25 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I know its not your job to explain this but...I read a couple articles on this but still can't make sense of how this saved them money. This is the closest thing I've found that explains how they save cap space with move:

"Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Hill simply gets the $12.159 million he was supposed to earn this year. The addition of the four phony years, regardless of fake salaries, allows for the creation of $7.75 million in cap space." From PFT/Florio

If hes still making the same salary how does this save them money? Can someone help me out please?

Try reading this article from 2019. It tries to explain how fake years help with the cap management. One quote from it is:

"If it seems like the Eagles are simply deferring salary cap hell into the future, don’t forget, this is Howie. He knows what he’s doing.

First of all, the salary cap has been increasing more than 10 percent per year. As recently as 2013, the unadjusted cap figure was $123 million. In 2019, it’s $188 million. That’s more than a 50 percent increase in just six years. It will likely be close to $200 million next year.

So the exact same cap hit in the future is a smaller percentage of a team’s cap in the present. So it’s just common sense to defer as much cap hit as possible as long as possible."

So it seems that this year the cap is very low so they use fake years to spread out the cap hit over several years to make this year's hit as low as possible, knowing next year's cap should be a lot higher and they will re-work those same contracts next year as needed.

41 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I’m getting the vibes colts will sign two or three young cheap guys and call it a day . No big names just under rated young pass rusher ,corner and wr all for under ten million a year a piece .

I would totally take that with the signings of some like:

Ahkello Witherspoon (CB)

Dan Arnold (TE)

Carl Lawson (DE) (hopefully he won't get what hes expecting and days will go by dropping it to around the $10 million mark you have listed)

Rashard Higgins (WR)

8 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

I would totally take that with the signings of some like:

Ahkello Witherspoon (CB)

Dan Arnold (TE)

Carl Lawson (DE) (hopefully he won't get what hes expecting and days will go by dropping it to around the $10 million mark you have listed)

Rashard Higgins (WR)

Heavy rumors colts will be signing Leonard and smith in a couple days . It’s better then getting in a bidding war next year to lock them up and can structure them in a team friendly way . If they wait next year they will be paying a extra 3 million a season for each or more . 

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for something wild like Smith deciding to come here for like 5 million a year. I knew it wasn’t gonna happen, but he’s someone I wouldn’t mind having for a short while, and I was sure hoping it would low-key happen. 

Oh well. I’m used to it at this point. 

50 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I hope you guys kick butt in FA. You already got Wentz but I hope you keep improving your team. Your an easy team to pull for.

We're not usually very competitive in FA, let alone 'kick butt' lol.

We're very fortunate that the Eagles turned into a Dumpster Fire and Wentz was available..... or else QB would have been another need for us, and not one easily remedied, especially picking at 21.

58 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I hope you guys kick butt in FA. You already got Wentz but I hope you keep improving your team. Your an easy team to pull for.

Looks like you guys interested in TY. I wouldn't mind him landing there with Roger's throwing to him. If he can stay healthy,  Rogers will get good production out of him.

Archived