Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The fun starts Wednesday (good article from Colts.com)

EastStreet

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He's have to be in the 3-4M range for me to be OK with any experiment, and I highly doubt he's that cheap. Some 3-4 team will spend 5-10 on him.

I mean, he's guaranteed 2M, AND can still get a better offer from other teams that Indy can match or not.

It's not like we tagged him or anything.

I do think he's a decent depth S, and would like to keep him. 

reading his twitter it seems like he wants close to ten million a year .  he took offense to someone saying he was worth 5 million and another saying he is worth 7 or 8 million .

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Fournette had some beast moments in the playoffs.

Gronk and Brown are just options, that while they can catch, they demand a ton of attention and doubles at times. It's as much grease to the O gears, as production.

My comment was in response to using them as an example of the signing free agents and the seldom results.

Thoughout the whole season Gronk, Brown and Fournette had very little effect on the Bucs winning games. 

Fournette was actually benched during the season. 

There was nothing impressive about their play during regular season at all.

The way the Bucs defense peaked at just the right time had more to do with the Bucs reaching and winning the super bowl. It wasn't because Gronk, Brown and Forenette was on the roster. 

This might have been the easiest super bowl Brady has won? He didn't have to play hero ball. 

Just saying. :hat:

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Basically I agree...   but to play Devils Advocate....    I'd say "backup at the most important spot on the team"

So, if your starting QB goes down for 2-4 weeks and you want your team to have a chance to win those games,  is Jacob Eason ready to be the guy to start those games?    (I hope he is.)    Just saying it's a risky bet.   And I don't know which way Ballard will go?

I don't really value the backup QB as much as some do. I look at it this way. 

• If your team isn't a SB contender, or AFC contender, having a high end and high priced backup QB is a waste anyway.
  • If your team is a SB contender, or AFC contender, if you're QB injury happens in the playoffs, it won't matter anyway even with a JB level backup. A Foles type of situation is as rare as two headed snake and that wasn't even the design/situation with the Eagles anyway.
  • If your team is a SB/AFC contender, there are several cheaper options who can lead a team to .500 while a QB is out 2-4 games during the regular season, and losing 2 of 4 games isn't going to take a SB/AFC team out of play for of the playoffs. 

So in other words, it just doesn't matter all that much. It's simply an insurance policy that MIGHT help a bit, but ultimately rarely does. And if we aren't competing for the AFC or SB, I really don't care if its the difference between 8-8 and not going to the playoffs vs 10-6 and losing early in the playoffs. The only rare instance I think it might matter is home field advantage if you're competing for a 1st or 2nd playoff position. 

And IMO, JB is a .500ish QB. I love him as a Colt, I just see him a super limited, at his ceiling, and not significantly above other cheaper options. I also think he still believes he's starter material. So I'm happy for him going to Miami (I actually suggested it was a great spot for him in another thread) as Miami might find themselves in a precarious position if they stand pat with Tua.

24 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

reading his twitter it seems like he wants close to ten million a year .  he took offense to someone saying he was worth 5 million and another saying he is worth 7 or 8 million .

Yup, he has an inflated view of himself due solely to his one year sack production. It will take a team that really wants to specialize his use, to get the value out of him at a high dollar. I don't see him as an option for 4-3 teams, or teams that require their OLBs to cover a lot.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My comment was in response to using them as an example of the signing free agents and the seldom results.

Thoughout the whole season Gronk, Brown and Fournette had very little effect on the Bucs winning games. 

Fournette was actually benched during the season. 

There was nothing impressive about their play during regular season at all.

The way the Bucs defense peaked at just the right time had more to do with the Bucs reaching and winning the super bowl. It wasn't because Gronk, Brown and Forenette was on the roster. 

This might have been the easiest super bowl Brady has won? He didn't have to play hero ball. 

Just saying. :hat:

You don't sign those guys for the regular season. You sign them for the post season. Brown was brought in later in the season. Gronk and Fournette did lead their teams off and on during the regular season in rushing and receiving in a few games, so it's not like they were total wastes during the season. 

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I've been saying the market likely won't be there for Hilton, given the FAs available and draft depth.

My ceiling for TY is 5-6 and 2 years. I'd prefer spending more on Samuels though and bringing him in for 3 years.

If they can add, and bring TY back for 6 or less, that would be awesome.

54 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I’d be shocked if Eason is the #2 for opening week. He’s just not ready and likely not good enough.

The Colts will sign somebody. 

And you know he’s not ready and not good enough how?  How many Colts practices did you watch of him last year?  Ballard said they need to see if he can be backup so I fully expect him to be in the mix for it.  No they aren’t going to go to camp with just two QBs on the roster but I don’t think anyone they add will be a major name or expensive and are more likely to be a late draft pick or undrafted free agents.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And you know he’s not ready and not good enough how?  How many Colts practices did you watch of him last year?  Ballard said they need to see if he can be backup so I fully expect him to be in the mix for it.  No they aren’t going to go to camp with just two QBs on the roster but I don’t think anyone they add will be a major name or expensive and are more likely to be a late draft pick or I drafted free agents.  

Yup. I could see the either signing another FA in the 1-3M/1year range, or just inviting several to camp to compete with Eason.

We need to answer 2 questions this season. 1) is Wentz able to recover his previous form, and 2) is Eason ready to be a backup. If Eason loses out at backup after camp, I can see him being pushed down to the PS. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Honestly that doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you're willing to offer one more million, than why not just give a 2nd round tender which would be similar money.

The Colts offering a RoFR means they get no comp, while a 2nd round would give them comp. 

Just doesn't make sense as I see zero benefit. IMO, they have to feel pretty strongly that the market will not be there (to attain the 3M).

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was using sarcasm to make a light hearted jab at the way some members on this board react to every knew tweet regarding the colts or a player on the team, not only that but how frequently goes from Goat to Grigson with each of those tweets.

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was using sarcasm to make a light hearted jab at the way some members on this board react to every knew tweet regarding the colts or a player on the team, not only that but how frequently goes from Goat to Grigson with each of those tweets.

I thought that was the case, then saw @Chloe6124 response and thought you might be serious since you said you'd update later.

5 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Haha nah that was a poke at the whole vin fosh or whatever thread a while back! 

guess my humor is as bad as they say. 

Nah man, it's good humor. I like it lol.

On the topic though, it never ceases to surprise the overreaction of some. Same stuff happens almost every year. Teams rush to overpay a lot of the big positions like QB, DE, and others. After that, things settle down. Some freaking out about a RoFR vs 2nd round tender on a guy who really doesn't contribute much besides STs is pretty funny though. All the others you can tell mostly just had their hearts set on some specific big names that weren't realistic knowing Ballard. And folks forget Ballard went big early last year with Buckner. Can't do that every year though.

The only thing that really surprises me, is BB and the Pats being so active. But when I looked at what he did, I'm pretty impressed. It was unlike him to spend so much early, but he did it in a very BB-like way. Looks like they're going heavy 12 personnel this year, and with the opt-outs and injury returns, they should be much much better. I think Cam will look noticeably better this year, and I'm not a fan of his at all.

44 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And you know he’s not ready and not good enough how?  How many Colts practices did you watch of him last year?  Ballard said they need to see if he can be backup so I fully expect him to be in the mix for it.  No they aren’t going to go to camp with just two QBs on the roster but I don’t think anyone they add will be a major name or expensive and are more likely to be a late draft pick or undrafted free agents.  

Ballard said they’re not even sure he’s ready to be a backup.

He’s a fourth round pick with ZERO NFL snaps on a team with playoff aspirations. If Wentz gets hurt you think CB is gonna put the season on Eason? No way.

I don’t get all the love for Eason. He’s never going to be the guy. 

Just now, TheNextGM said:

He’s a fourth round pick with ZERO NFL snaps on a team with playoff aspirations. If Wentz gets hurt you think CB is gonna put the season on Eason? No way.

But Ballard didn't say he's not ready either. Eason didn't get many reps due to the covid situation last year, and because we were paying a silly amount for a backup QB with a contract that we really couldn't get out of. 

The truth is likely somewhere in between. They don't know, because they have not given him opportunity. He'll get opportunity in camp, which is how it works out often times.  It doesn't have to be solved right now.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

There was a story about the Jags have spent billions of dollars in free agency in recent years and have an AFCCG game appearance in one season to show for it.  There is a reason championships aren’t won in the off-season.

Unless you are the Bucs.

Free agency spending doesn’t always work in the teams favor. I wasn’t saying it is 100% a bad thing. It is just tough to watch the AFC South “improve” while the Colts haven’t won the division since 2016.

28 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Unless you are the Bucs.

Free agency spending doesn’t always work in the teams favor. I wasn’t saying it is 100% a bad thing. It is just tough to watch the AFC South “improve” while the Colts haven’t won the division since 2016.

As I said earlier in this thread the Bucs are the exception not the rule.  The Colts have improved as well.  Remember they are trading for a starting QB tomorrow at 4.  Also Ballard has said he builds through the draft which is how the vast majority of successful teams do it.  So Ballard does it in different ways.

30 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Unless you are the Bucs.

Bucs are a bit unique. They had a very strong core to begin with built through the draft, and lucked out getting a HOF QB on the cheap, who would take less to bring in other studs.

I hate Brady as a nemesis, but boy I do admire him for prioritizing team and championships over himself and his bank account. 

3 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

I don’t expect him to be the guy, be a backup?  Yes I do.  You don’t draft a QB in the fourth round if you don’t think he can be backup.  I know he has zero snaps which was my point that you have zero idea if he’s ready or not.  None of us do so it’s foolish to make such definitive statements like you were when you said he’s just not ready.  You have no idea if he is. 

I don’t either but I’ll say it’s not unrealistic to expect your second year round fourth round QB to be able to be your back up QB.  Like Ballard said they have to see if he can handle that role so I expect someone to compete with him for it but I don’t think it’s going to be a major investment at the backup QB spot with as many other holes as they have to fill and extensions to hand out.  

11 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

I’d be shocked if Eason is the #2 for opening week. He’s just not ready and likely not good enough.

The Colts will sign somebody. 

You know that?   If hes is the opening day backup to Wentz, it means Ballard and Reich think he is ready and good enough.

9 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Unless you are the Bucs.

Hasn’t won the division since 2016?!?

My, how you’ve suffered....  it must be almost unbearable?!?       :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

For the price of 7 million colts lost out on two good wrs. I trust Ballard but I am even starting to worry slightly 

WR class and FA is deep. I’m more disappointed on all the Edge rushers they lost out on.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If TY doesn’t come back at this point it’s goinf to be because he wants to go home and play in Miami. I think the colts will have no problem matching a offer for him. 

Probably so. I can see him going to GB too. That was my prediction pre-FA. AROD throws amazing deep balls & he would thrive. 

Love Hilton & want him back. But I would prefer Curtis Samuel. He could take our offense to a whole different level IMO.

43 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Probably so. I can see him going to GB too. That was my prediction pre-FA. AROD throws amazing deep balls & he would thrive. 

Love Hilton & want him back. But I would prefer Curtis Samuel. He could take our offense to a whole different level IMO.

Samuel is a longer term solution. Wouldn’t he be the same player as Campbell? I know we can’t rely on Paris with the injuries I don’t see them relaxing him until after this season if he gets injured again.

I don’t think think this team is short on offensive talent if we bring TY back and Campbell can stay healthy. Patmon has been working with Wentz and we still have Fountain in our back pocket for a 5th and 6th WR.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Samuel is a longer term solution. Wouldn’t he be the same player as Campbell? I know we can’t rely on Paris with the injuries I don’t see them relaxing him until after this season if he gets injured again.

I don’t think think this team is short on offensive talent if we bring TY back and Campbell can stay healthy. Patmon has been working with Wentz and we still have Fountain in our back pocket for a 5th and 6th WR.

I said this same thing earlier, but the more I think about it. I'm not against it. Especially considering Campbell has an injury history, and his play style is what we are missing. Having TWO players that can do reverses, take screens to the house, and burn you is not a bad problem.

Michael Pittman would be our X and we could use Pascal as the Y in specific sets if needed. 

11 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I said this same thing earlier, but the more I think about it. I'm not against it. Especially considering Campbell has an injury history, and his play style is what we are missing. Having TWO players that can do reverses, take screens to the house, and burn you is not a bad problem.

Michael Pittman would be our X and we could use Pascal as the Y in specific sets if needed. 

Could be a smarter way to go then bringing TY back at 24 year old. Especially with the WR market being bad. If he is going to cost the same per year as TY you take the younger guy. 

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Could be a smarter way to go then bringing TY back at 24 year old. Especially with the WR market being bad. If he is going to cost the same per year as TY you take the younger guy. 

Huh?    When did the WR market become bad?   It’s one of the strongest positions in FA.   It’s been that way since the beginning this year. 

Archived