Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnathan Taylor-Lydell Mitchell

holeymoley99

49 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

Taylor is the better runner. Mitchell was a workhorse back and a great receiver out of the back field. He did not have Taylor's speed or power but he could fight and squirm for extra yards.  I loved watching Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr and Raymond Chester.

Let's not to get the Looney Tune defensive line.

11 hours ago, yankeeclipper said:

Taylor is the better runner. Mitchell was a workhorse back and a great receiver out of the back field. He did not have Taylor's speed or power but he could fight and squirm for extra yards.  I loved watching Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Roger Carr and Raymond Chester.

That was the era I fell in love with the Colts too.  Goin to games at Memorial. 

As a young chap playin neighborhood ball, if i “wasn’t” Bert Jones at QB, i was Roger Carr at wr.  Loved the way he ran.  What about Carr’s partner in crime, Glenn “shake & bake” Doughty?   

38 minutes ago, cgi4life said:

Roger Carr ran like a deer.  His deep routes were beautiful. 

I remember reading how Carr chased dear in LA to keep in shape. Great teams that ran into better teams in the playoffs (70 Steelers and Raiders).

On a related note; I was at a store last week and a guy saw my Colts hat. He asked; “Baltimore Colts or Indianapolis Colts”? I said both. He replied “I have no use for THAT team, there’s not many that followed them out there”. But judging from this and previous threads, there’s still a few of us.

Do you remember how Memorial Stadium use to rock with the C-O-L-T-S!! chant ?

42 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I remember reading how Carr chased dear in LA to keep in shape. Great teams that ran into better teams in the playoffs (70 Steelers and Raiders).

On a related note; I was at a store last week and a guy saw my Colts hat. He asked; “Baltimore Colts or Indianapolis Colts”? I said both. He replied “I have no use for THAT team, there’s not many that followed them out there”. But judging from this and previous threads, there’s still a few of us.

Yes..the C-O-L-T-S cheer. Jets fan copied it.

43 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I had the Bert Jones Sports Illustrated poster on my wall growing up, my first sports hero. I used to think before the internet and message boards very few followed them to Indy, I know how wrong that is over the past 20 years or so.

Very few from Baltimore followed the Colts from Baltimore to Indy. Most were out of town fans who followed the team to Indy. While most fans in Baltimore became Ravens fans, believe it or not, more in Baltimore switched to the Steelers , rather than migrate to the Indy Colts. Sickening but true. 
The old Colts chant was great. We had the Big Wheel leading those, and Wild Bill Hagy leading the Orioles chants in old Memorial Stadium. Not aesthetically the best stadium , but what history and memories. Mayhem on 33rd St !!!

15 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Yes there is, born raised in Baltimore.  They left when I was child, I wiped my tears and remained a fan.  Going to Memorial Stadium with my dad, uncles and cousins was great.

That was the team I cut my teath on as well. I was from Connecticut so there was no reason not to follow them to Indianapolis.

Its funny how loyalty works. I am a Dodger fan because of my Dad who was one of the very few who followed them from Brooklyn to LA.  I was a diehard Hartford Whalers fan who cut the chord emediatly after they were moved to Carolina and became the Hurricane. Probably the name change had something to do with it. 

Anyway, I hope the Colts stay in Indy a long time, you guys ( in Indy) deserve them. 

I'm old enough to remember the Lydell Mitchell days.  We had 3 consecutive 2nd round draft choices and WR Glenn Doughty, Michigan, Wishbone Oklahoma QB Jack Mildren who was a good runner/athlete and we converted him to safety, and RB Lydell Mitchell.   I would not say Taylor is better runner because they both have good vision.  Taylor is a better athlete to go with the vision, bigger and faster then Lydell.   Lydell had to have good vision because he was average size, something like 5-11, 200 lbs and he was not considered fast so he must have had good vision for finding holes, and strong for his size.  He running mate at Penn St, was HOF Franco Harris, drafted that same year in the 1st round by the Steelers.  Franco was 30 lbs heavier and ran the 40 faster than Lydell, but Lydell had more publicity his senior year.

Lydell was also an excellent receiver, caught 72 passes one year, not sure if it led the lead in a 14 game season but if not, he was close the top in receptions.  When Lydell and Bert Jones made the Pro-Bowl when it meant something, they burnt the NFC and on 3rd down pass conversion from Jones to Lydell as they were in sync in their passing game vs the mix all-star defense.  Even a friend of mine mentioned Jones was passing the Lydell in key situations that Pro-Bowl.  The games that stands out was the approx 37 yard TD run against Miami, in the 4th quarter to go to 6-4.  Ted Marchibroda said if we can win that game, we have a chance to be contenders, after going 1-13 or 2-12 the year before.  Then we then beat Cleveland, KC, Miami again, 10-7 OT in Baltimore, then the Patriots to finish 10-4 and Division Champs.  Great memories.  

On 12/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, yankeeclipper said:

And Don McCauley....

On 12/23/2020 at 9:35 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Ghost to the Post brings back nightmares of Christmas eve for this 8 year old....I got several Colts presents under the tree the next morning though.......

It was a nightmarish Christmas eve for this 24 yr. old as well. In fact, it's still a nightmare as I visualize the pass from Bert sailing over Raymond Chester....The only thing I had on Christmas morning was a colossal hangover.

Loved those Baltimore teams, with Mitchell and Jones, such a cast of character's!! Taylor and Mitchell form the same school is a great story, that frankly we haven't heard yet? Taylor and Mitchell games are different though. Taylor bigger stronger faster, both good receiver's, although Mitchell was a Great receiver much better routes and hands. Mitchells running style was more like a slasher, could wiggle through the smallest of holes and hit the big holes quickly with burst. He ran similar to Wilks for us now, only Mitchell was much better. He did not have Taylors top end speed. Both very fun to watch,I expect Taylor to even be better next year!! 

Archived