Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need a more Balanced GM!!

Shadow_Creek

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I like the Pittman pick even less then.  What is he supposed to be good at?

Playing receiver? He's a good ball catcher, fast enough, physical at the line and at the catch, and like I said, a decent route runner with room to improve. He's not Reggie Wayne, but he's okay. 

Also, he never missed games in college, and was very productive. He was a good pick, IMO.

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Claypool is a rookie. He has had more of a limited sample size than the others. He has just done incredible and shown huge production when given the opportunity. Johnson has been pretty consistent in his opportunities as well. I will agree he's had some inconsistencies in games, but he had a solid rookie year and a couple good games this year. A concussion stopped his progress for the most part and Claypool getting opprtunities. Hardman is probably a product of his team, but he does well when needed and can easily replicate Hill in the speed department, so he's invaluable. Those guys are on the lower end of the list, but as of now, they are more proven than Campbell and Pittman. They would be a no1 or no2 WR on the Colts.

Watched every ND game for many years. Claypool is a stud. Once he became their #1, it was more than apparent. He can take a licken also. Said it at that draft, say it again. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Playing receiver? He's a good ball catcher, fast enough, physical at the line and at the catch, and like I said, a decent route runner with room to improve. He's not Reggie Wayne, but he's okay. 

Also, he never missed games in college, and was very productive. He was a good pick, IMO.

I hope so.  We need him to be good next year very badly.

42 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I like the Pittman pick even less then.  What is he supposed to be good at?

Eessh.  The more I read the less I like.  He's big is his main attribute.  

I don't love or hate the Pittman pick. He seems like a solid WR profile who could develop into a decent WR2 for this team. A seemingly safe pick...for a volatile position...but not a great pick.

But I have said before...I am skeptical about this regime's ability (FO and coaching) to scout the WR position. And that shouldn't even be considered a hot take...because what have we seen to suggest otherwise? You can blame it on injuries I guess...but I think it goes beyond that.

For example...Ballard remarked that he "was eating popcorn and hanging from pick 19-32”...so he obviously wasn't as high on guys like Aiyuk or Higgins...who both appear to be future studs. And it's not just about hoarding picks...because he had no problem moving up to make sure he got Taylor. 

You can see from the "With the Next Pick" series that they loved Pittman (and Taylor). So if Pittman was above these other WRs...I think we can judge that evaluation in a year or two.

So far...the return has not been there. But hopefully Pittman can step up...cause the Colts are going to need it. As for Campbell...my expectations are pretty low now.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

I don't love or hate the Pittman pick. He seems like a solid WR profile who could develop into a decent WR2 for this team. A seemingly safe pick...for a volatile position...but not a great pick.

But I have said before...I am skeptical about this regime's ability (FO and coaching) to scout the WR position. And that shouldn't even be considered a hot take...because what have we seen to suggest otherwise? You can blame it on injuries I guess...but I think it goes beyond that.

For example...Ballard remarked that he "was eating popcorn and hanging from pick 19-32”...so he obviously wasn't as high on guys like Aiyuk or Higgins...who both appear to be future studs. And it's not just about hoarding picks...because he had no problem moving up to make sure he got Taylor. 

You can see from the "With the Next Pick" series that they loved Pittman (and Taylor). So if Pittman was above these other WRs...I think we can judge that evaluation in a year or two.

So far...the return has not been there. But hopefully Pittman can step up...cause the Colts are going to need it. As for Campbell...my expectations are pretty low now.

You may be right, but these guys have not had a chance to prove themselves. yet.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You're assuming that Campbell and Pittman would have performed as well as those other WRs I mentioned. That may not be true. Even if they didn't get injured, it doesn't mean they would be hits either. As I said, what we do know is all those other WR's are hits 100%, that's a fact. Campbell is an injury bust up to this point that may or may not be good if he plays. Pittman has been injured and he may or may not be good when he plays now. You can't assume they will play as well as those other guys. That's the difference. I'm not assuming, I have a sample size on them that proves they are good. There is no guarantee Campbell and Pittman are good even with healthy.

I wonder what people think of the D'Joun Smith pick then. Injuries completely derailed any career he would have...so is he not a bust? Does Grigs get a pass for that pick? 

I get that Smith played a snap...and Campbell has played sparingly...but it seems like a double-standard that Campbell isn't a whiff at this point...but Smith was...especially since all we have to judge either player is potential.

20 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I wonder what people think of the D'Joun Smith pick then. Injuries completely derailed any career he would have...so is he not a bust? Does Grigs get a pass for that pick? 

I get that Smith played a snap...and Campbell has played sparingly...but it seems like a double-standard that Campbell isn't a whiff at this point...but Smith was...especially since all we have to judge either player is potential.

I thought Smith was waived for being a bad boy.

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think the difference is Campbell will get some time to play when he returns. If he has another big injury though, then Campbell may be an injury whiff. I'm willing to wait until he gets playing time and sucks, or gets released to fully judge him.

31 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Ahhhhhh D'joun Smith, that brings back memories. Lol.  Wasn't he the one that was getting burned in training camp by fullbacks?

His claim to fame was Gruden liking him and showed favourable film in college on him to Kiper.

19 hours ago, Dasteez said:

It’s never perfect and certainly you have biases to one side of the ball with scouting staff and scouting experience / talent - keep in mind it takes talent to find talent. 

We would be talking a whole lot less about offensive prowess if Luck hadn’t went from generational QB talent to millionaire stay at home dad unexpectedly, which Ballard had no control over. It’s hard to find a QB. It’s hard to find to build an OL from scratch without top draft capital (top tier LTs aren’t found often in the 4th round). Our offense was literally crap when AL was removed outside of the OL Ballard was laying the framework for. 

Ballard built one of the lesser talented rosters into a team that can at the least hold it’s own with average QB play. Building from the bottom up (OL and DL) which is absolutely how a team should be built. Otherwise you get your QB beat to the point of retiring. 

Imagine what this team would be if we still had Grigson.......

Good one I am sure we could use Trent Richardson 

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can't assume Campbell and Pittman were bad picks, but I can assume guys like AJ Brown, Terry Mclaurin, DK Metcalf, Mecole Hardman, Diontae Johnson, Deebo Samuel and Chase Claypool who were all available to us are better players than Campbell and Pittman. 

I don't know that they are better.   They certainly haven't had the injuries.  

18 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I don't think you remember the D'Joun Smith era accurately. Yeah he got hurt, but he never looked good in camp. Played four games in the second half of his rookie season, never looked good. Then got cut before the start of his second season, apparently due to some off field matters. 

The staff that drafted him got rid of him after one year. And it wasn't because he got hurt. 

Campbell has been hurt. His team hasn't given up on him yet. I don't think the two are remotely comparable. 

20 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Not even close to apples to apples.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Not even close to apples to apples.  

How so?  I brought him up because they were both picked in the same range. They were different positions...but both had big upside...and both had/have had major injury problems.

The only real difference so far (other than one was a Grigs pick and one was a Ballard pick) is that Campbell has actually played some snaps...and Smith never really had more than a handful. 

Admittedly...the snaps are a difference...but this is shaping out to be a lost season for Campbell...so by the end of their respective 2nd seasons...they are/were both still just potential at this point...but with major injury issues. 

Grigs never got a pass for that bad pick because of the injuries. And it's not even like Grigs passed on other really good CBs to make that pick...or had 3 chances to draft a good one in that round.

I get that Ballard has earned the benefit of the doubt from fans...but I don't see really see the difference here. IF Smith was a bad pick...then Campbell is as well (until proven otherwise)...especially since the Colts missed out on a handful of very good WRs. 

OR...if it's only injuries holding back his obvious potential...then the hypotheticals being applied to a healthy Campbell should also have been applied to any draft pick that gets hurt...and then injured players can't be a bust. I disagree with that...but at least it's consistent.

25 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

How so?  I brought him up because they were both picked in the same range. They were different positions...but both had big upside...and both had/have had major injury problems.

The only real difference so far (other than one was a Grigs pick and one was a Ballard pick) is that Campbell has actually played some snaps...and Smith never really had more than a handful. 

Admittedly...the snaps are a difference...but this is shaping out to be a lost season for Campbell...so by the end of their respective 2nd seasons...they are/were both still just potential at this point...but with major injury issues. 

Grigs never got a pass for that bad pick because of the injuries. And it's not even like Grigs passed on other really good CBs to make that pick...or had 3 chances to draft a good one in that round.

I get that Ballard has earned the benefit of the doubt from fans...but I don't see really see the difference here. IF Smith was a bad pick...then Campbell is as well (until proven otherwise)...especially since the Colts missed out on a handful of very good WRs. 

OR...if it's only injuries holding back his obvious potential...then the hypotheticals being applied to a healthy Campbell should also have been applied to any draft pick that gets hurt...and then injured players can't be a bust. I disagree with that...but at least it's consistent.

Word was that Smith wasn't well behaved.   I think that is the difference.  had he been on good behavior he probably would have been given more of a chance.  Injuries stink and are often not predictable, but if the player still shows potential and is on good behavior they usually get a shot.   

even though Smith has been injured, the Colts really liked him when they drafted him. So Kravitz asked around, and he found an answer: he tweeted that he was told Smith was cut “due to a lack of professionalism rather than injuries or a lack of ability.”

A little bit later, he appeared on 1070 the Fan with JMV and explained it a little bit more (though he didn’t offer specific details). “It seemed odd to me that they’d give up on their third round draft choice from just one year ago so quickly,” Kravitz said. “Usually [if] you draft a guy that high – look, Bjoern Werner was here how many years? Three? Four? You usually stick with your higher draftees, and it seemed odd to me. So I looked around, called around, and what I got is that it was like a third strike. What that entailed specifically, I do not know. Was he late for practices? Was he missing rehabs?

On 11/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, shasta519 said:

Comparing Grigson vs Ballard? image.png.a53267452b22cee41bc00b51a708be2c.png

On 11/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with the first two sentences. I don't blame Ballard for scouting Campbell and Pittman, I blame Reich for that. If you watch "with the next pick" you'll see Reich clamoring to draft Campbell and Pittman. He doesn't know WR talent at all, and that's evident from both the Eagles and the Colts. Ballard needs to cut him off at the knees there and not let him have a say in the decisions. We've missed out on 5-6 really good WRs in the past two years already while we're "just hoping" on Campbell and Pittman. I also don't want to hear an excuse on Metcalf. That's what a GM is supposed to do, is figure out how these guys are going to pan out. If they can't make a reasonable prediction on that with a team of scouts and a ton of tape, then they are no better than any of us on the forum just guessing at the WR position. That's one of the positions Ballard has to get better players at. Hopefully Campbell and Pittman work out, we have 9 more games this year to see what Pittman can do and less than that on Campbell.

I agree with Jared on this one. Watching the Colts draft videos, Frank was crazy about Pittman and Campbell. It looked like Ballard was drafting the guys he wanted. I wish there was a little more separation of duties.

Archived