Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need a more Balanced GM!!

Shadow_Creek

When polian was in office he built a great offense with Peyton, Marvin, Wayne, etc but always had that lacking drive when it came to putting a great defense together. Fast forward to Ballard and now we have the opposite issue. A great Defense with very lacking drive in the WR, TE, and RB department. i mean i dont like to rant but how to you let a trade deadline go by and not do anything to help out our weakest area at the moment? Mack is out for the season and Taylor (at this point) is not getting the job done so why not trade for a RB who could have helped us along side of Wilkins? we have big games ahead of us and wont get very far if were going to only rely on Rivers arm alone just saying.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

When polian was in office he built a great offense with Peyton, Marvin, Wayne, etc but always had that lacking drive when it came to putting a great defense together. Fast forward to Ballard and now we have the opposite issue. A great Defense with very lacking drive in the WR, TE, and RB department. i mean i dont like to rant but how to you let a trade deadline go by and not do anything to help out our weakest area at the moment? Mack is out for the season and Taylor (at this point) is not getting the job done so why not trade for a RB who could have helped us along side of Wilkins? we have big games ahead of us and wont get very far if were going to only rely on Rivers arm alone just saying.

You can't give up on Taylor yet. We drafted him in the 2nd round. Gotta play it out and hope he improves for now. I do think we should of traded for a WR though. If I were Ballard, I'd try and claim Dante Pettis off waivers and see if he contributes at all.

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You can't give up on Taylor yet. We drafted him in the 2nd round. Gotta play it out and hope he improves for now. I do think we should of traded for a WR though. If I were Ballard, I'd try and claim Dante Pettis off waivers and see if he contributes at all.

I will add to my comment that Jonathan Taylor has been battling an ankle injury. Remember, he was getting 4-5 yards per carry before last week. I can see his bad week Sunday being due to being hurt rather than actually being a bad RB. I'll wait on him personally. It seems to make sense. Let Wilkins get the majority of the carries until Taylor is 100%.

It’s never perfect and certainly you have biases to one side of the ball with scouting staff and scouting experience / talent - keep in mind it takes talent to find talent. 

We would be talking a whole lot less about offensive prowess if Luck hadn’t went from generational QB talent to millionaire stay at home dad unexpectedly, which Ballard had no control over. It’s hard to find a QB. It’s hard to find to build an OL from scratch without top draft capital (top tier LTs aren’t found often in the 4th round). Our offense was literally crap when AL was removed outside of the OL Ballard was laying the framework for. 

Ballard built one of the lesser talented rosters into a team that can at the least hold it’s own with average QB play. Building from the bottom up (OL and DL) which is absolutely how a team should be built. Otherwise you get your QB beat to the point of retiring. 

Imagine what this team would be if we still had Grigson.......

1 minute ago, Dasteez said:

It’s never perfect and certainly you have biases to one side of the ball with scouting staff and scouting experience / talent - keep in mind it takes talent to find talent. 

We would be talking a whole lot less about offensive prowess if Luck hadn’t went from generational QB talent to millionaire stay at home dad unexpectedly, which Ballard had no control over. It’s hard to find a QB. It’s hard to find to build an OL from scratch without top draft capital (top tier LTs aren’t found often in the 4th round). Our offense was literally crap when AL was removed outside of the OL Ballard was laying the framework for. 

Ballard built one of the lesser talented rosters into a team that can at the least hold it’s own with average QB play. Building from the bottom up (OL and DL) which is absolutely how a team should be built. Otherwise you get your QB beat to the point of retiring. 

Imagine what this team would be if we still had Grigson.......

No thanks.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

We need a more balanced fan base.

So you didn't think we could have used a little help on offense???

KC was loaded on offense and added Bell.

Tampa & Seattle both had playmakers and they both wanted Antonio Brown, who went on to sign with Tampa.

KC, Seattle, Tampa all are serious Super Bowl contenders, along with few others, and still tried to get better. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Ballard is continuing to value his draft picks and keeping an eye on the future cap space.

If we want to resign our own Ballard has to spend wisely.

Depending on how the QB situation works out next season we may need some reserve cap space. 

Yeah those 2nd round picks of his r just lighting it up

29 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So you didn't think we could have used a little help on offense???

KC was loaded on offense and added Bell.

Tampa & Seattle both had playmakers and they both wanted Antonio Brown, who went on to sign with Tampa.

KC, Seattle, Tampa all are serious Super Bowl contenders, along with few others, and still tried to get better. 

Sure, I would have taken the right WR at the right price. Claiming the GM isn't balanced enough in a shouty post is another story.

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

This is the most balanced Colts team since I became a fan in 94.

I aint really even tripping on the WR either. Philly didnt have a bunch of world beaters at that spot when they won the SB vs New England. Only real name they had was Alshon Jeffrey. They were actually built kind of like we are built now. Biggest diff was they had a really good ground game.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah those 2nd round picks of his r just lighting it up

Q. Wilson in 2017 didn't work out for us.  From 2018, Leonard is a 2x all-pro and based on his play last week is still getting better.  Braden Smith is playing very well.  Tyquan Lewis has really come around this season.  Turay was doing very well last year and hopefully we see him back in action in a couple weeks.  His 2018 2nd rounders are over-achieving, IMO.  From 2019, Ya-Sin is playing just fine, Campbell has showed promise but has been hurt, Banogu was a project pick and everyone knew that - he's not playing great but he's not been awful either as he's still continuing to develop.  From 2020, Taylor is doing just fine and Pittman has been injured but looks like he'll be fine, too.  

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sure, I would have taken the right WR at the right price. Claiming the GM isn't balanced enough in a shouty post is another story.

Ballard said it since day 1 and he recently said it again -- "Our lines are always in the water.... but it takes 2 teams to tango."  We just got Pittman back, we don't know the extent of TYs injury and we don't know if we'll get Campbell back later this year.  Fountain is back on our PS, DeMichael Harris looked good in his few attempts when he was brought up.  Ballard might be just fine with who our WRs are and how they are progressing.  For all we know, he may have placed a few trade offers and not gotten back what he thought was fair.  In Ballard, I trust. 

11 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

not sure if I agree with this take.

it’s not Ballard fault that Campbell can’t stay on the field.  It’s not his fault Mack can’t stay on the field.  It’s not his fault he lost his generational star qb the week before a season was suppose to start.

he has high picks on offense, mostly on the line.  I agree, his hit % on skill players is iffy but at least shown attention to it.  And the skill players he’s selected at high positions have shown they can live up to the expectations but they can’t stay healthy.  

our problem right now on offense is the lack of skill players who can open up the field.  Once again, TY is hurt and Campbell is hurt.  Both have the talent, but injury history has been shaky lately.

it’d be one thing if Ballard picks were just flaming out and were straight duds.  But that’s not the case.  We fix our WR problem and I guarantee you this offense will be fine.

no reason to speak on defense.  It’s currently #2 in the league.  And that’s with the injuries with experienced 

I would argue that this is the deepest roster I’ve seen from the Colts in a long while. You can’t fix everything at once and although the OL needs depth, the long-term answer for QB has to be addressed, Taylor needs to get healthy and develop his timing and the narrative that the Colts WRs are below average is a bit of stretch.

I’m glad we didn’t go after Brown; he’s fine as long as you’re winning but he’s the first to cause problems, when things go wrong.

The Colts are under the cap and have some decisions to make with their own players. Has Ballard been perfect? No. But I like the progress. This is a better team than when Ballard took over. 

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If I were Ballard, I'd try and claim Dante Pettis off waivers and see if he contributes at all.

I was actually really high on Pettis in that draft and wouldn't mind claiming him off waivers. He's not a burner, but he's a technically savvy WR that I think would fit our offensive scheme pretty well.

I just hope it is not another case like Grigson deja vu where he tried and had the right idea but not with the right player (in his case Dorsett). I am talking Parris Campbell with Ballard. So, the high draft capital spent on him will have to be spent all over again. It is almost a certainty we need more draft capital spent on Day 1 or Day 2 again on WR(s). I think we should get someone from the Steelers organization, whoever their scout is for scouting WRs. They just keep adding depth over and over again and there is no shortage of weapons to throw to when the QB is healthy.

Other than that front and the 2nd round pass rusher front, Ballard has done a fantastic job for roster talent and depth across the board. QB of course reigns supreme. QB, WR, Pass rusher, sort these out and we are a SB contender every single year, IMO. Here is to hoping Rivers overachieves and we buy 1 more year out of him.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

2. 34th  Pittman
2. 41st  Taylor

3  85th  Blackmon

4. 122nd Eason

5) 149th  Pintor

hey look another week and another Ballard doesn’t know what he’s doing thread despite having a 5-2 record and having four different starting QBs in four years to start the season (don’t forget Tolizen started the first game of his first season) and only one two of them were the planned starters going into the season.

It is too early to give up on JT man. As far as Ballard goes, he's done an excellent job with this team since he's been here. Its too early to judge Pittman, and yes Ballard could do a better job scouting WRs but we didn't know how Metcalf was going to pan out. There were questions about him before he was drafted and the Seahawks didn't even know what they were going to get from him. You can't predict if a player is going to be an all pro or not. They still have to go out and ball out. 

7 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

It is too early to give up on JT man. As far as Ballard goes, he's done an excellent job with this team since he's been here. Its too early to judge Pittman, and yes Ballard could do a better job scouting WRs but we didn't know how Metcalf was going to pan out. There were questions about him before he was drafted and the Seahawks didn't even know what they were going to get from him. You can't predict if a player is going to be an all pro or not. They still have to go out and ball out. 

I agree with the first two sentences. I don't blame Ballard for scouting Campbell and Pittman, I blame Reich for that. If you watch "with the next pick" you'll see Reich clamoring to draft Campbell and Pittman. He doesn't know WR talent at all, and that's evident from both the Eagles and the Colts. Ballard needs to cut him off at the knees there and not let him have a say in the decisions. We've missed out on 5-6 really good WRs in the past two years already while we're "just hoping" on Campbell and Pittman. I also don't want to hear an excuse on Metcalf. That's what a GM is supposed to do, is figure out how these guys are going to pan out. If they can't make a reasonable prediction on that with a team of scouts and a ton of tape, then they are no better than any of us on the forum just guessing at the WR position. That's one of the positions Ballard has to get better players at. Hopefully Campbell and Pittman work out, we have 9 more games this year to see what Pittman can do and less than that on Campbell.

15 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The reason why this team is opposite of the Peyton years is directly because of Chris Ballard. TBH, he's hitting on most of his selected players (Bobby, Buckner, Houston, Lewis, Leonard, even the rookie Blackmon) have performed. Now lets look at the Oline (top 5). You mention certain players that got hurt Mack, and slightly Taylor. It's the GM's job to get the players needed in the building. Should anyone get hurt, that's not directly the GMs fault. Why? if someone gets sick (knock on wood) is it still then the GMs fault?

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with the first two sentences. I don't blame Ballard for scouting Campbell and Pittman, I blame Reich for that. If you watch "with the next pick" you'll see Reich clamoring to draft Campbell and Pittman. He doesn't know WR talent at all, and that's evident from both the Eagles and the Colts. Ballard needs to cut him off at the knees there and not let him have a say in the decisions. We've missed out on 5-6 really good WRs in the past two years already while we're "just hoping" on Campbell and Pittman. I also don't want to hear an excuse on Metcalf. That's what a GM is supposed to do, is figure out how these guys are going to pan out. If they can't make a reasonable prediction on that with a team of scouts and a ton of tape, then they are no better than any of us on the forum just guessing at the WR position. That's one of the positions Ballard has to get better players at. Hopefully Campbell and Pittman work out, we have 9 more games this year to see what Pittman can do and less than that on Campbell.

You cant assume that Campbell and Pittman were bad picks. 

You also know that Ballard has a whole drafting crew and Reich does not make the choices. 

The scouts have more say than Reich does so just stop with the finger pointing looking for something to complain about. :chillpill:

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You cant assume that Campbell and Pittman were bad picks. 

You also know that Ballard has a whole drafting crew and Reich does not make the choices. 

The scouts have more say than Reich does so just stop with the finger pointing looking for something to complain about. :chillpill:

I can't assume Campbell and Pittman were bad picks, but I can assume guys like AJ Brown, Terry Mclaurin, DK Metcalf, Mecole Hardman, Diontae Johnson, Deebo Samuel and Chase Claypool who were all available to us are better players than Campbell and Pittman. If you don't believe Reich was heavily in favor of both Campbell and Pittman, look it up and watch "with the next pick". I'm not wrong.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I would argue that this is the deepest roster I’ve seen from the Colts in a long while. You can’t fix everything at once and although the OL needs depth, the long-term answer for QB has to be addressed, Taylor needs to get healthy and develop his timing and the narrative that the Colts WRs are below average is a bit of stretch.

I’m glad we didn’t go after Brown; he’s fine as long as you’re winning but he’s the first to cause problems, when things go wrong.

The Colts are under the cap and have some decisions to make with their own players. Has Ballard been perfect? No. But I like the progress. This is a better team than when Ballard took over. 

There are some fans that want instant results and when they don't get it, here comes the rhetoric. 

Archived