Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why didn't we grab a free agent guard?

The Peytonator

Let me say first that I really thought we've had a decent offseason from a personnel perspective. I loved our draft and I thought that the signing of Ernie Simms and Tommie Harris were perfect for our team. The only complaint I have though, is that we didn't make any move to improve the interior of our offensive line. Basically we got Ben Ijalana in the second round...and he's a tackle. To me it looks like we're gonna see another season of DeVan, Saturday, and Pollak as our interior. I think Pollak is decent but DeVan sucks and Saturday is a million years old. Even Polian said last year that the interior was the biggest problem on the line. If so, why didn't he make a play for a solid day one starter to plug in at left guard? Why didn't we go after somebody to pave the way and take out one of the opponents DTs single handedly?

Guards are not very expensive. I'm not talking about scrubs like Andy Alleman, but there are always massive mauling guards that can move a DT at will. We are $15 million under the cap. I don't see a reason to sign any other position to improve the roster other than maybe a vet corner for depth. OGs are just as important as OTs and it is an obvious weak spot on our line. screw getting Randy Moss or Ronnie Brown...this team needs a fat guard.

Any player on either side of the line that can move a guy at will cost a ton of money, period. Mauling guards are not the biggest criteria for the scheme, as guards have to be pretty athletic in the Colts scheme. If you can do both, great, though you'll likely get a huge pay day. Darryn Colledge was probably the best bet for the Colts, but he got a 5 year, $27.5 million dollar deal with $10 million in guarantees. Not to mention that Peyton wasn't signed before then, so that slows down what the team could do. Once Peyton was signed, the market was nearly dry.

Let me say first that I really thought we've had a decent offseason from a personnel perspective. I loved our draft and I thought that the signing of Ernie Simms and Tommie Harris were perfect for our team. The only complaint I have though, is that we didn't make any move to improve the interior of our offensive line. Basically we got Ben Ijalana in the second round...and he's a tackle. To me it looks like we're gonna see another season of DeVan, Saturday, and Pollak as our interior. I think Pollak is decent but DeVan sucks and Saturday is a million years old. Even Polian said last year that the interior was the biggest problem on the line. If so, why didn't he make a play for a solid day one starter to plug in at left guard? Why didn't we go after somebody to pave the way and take out one of the opponents DTs single handedly?

Guards are not very expensive. I'm not talking about scrubs like Andy Alleman, but there are always massive mauling guards that can move a DT at will. We are $15 million under the cap. I don't see a reason to sign any other position to improve the roster other than maybe a vet corner for depth. OGs are just as important as OTs and it is an obvious weak spot on our line. screw getting Randy Moss or Ronnie Brown...this team needs a fat guard.

i highly doubt we have 15 mil left hayden contracts only save 1m this year

Please give us a few names and the contracts they had last season. And try to remember they have to fit into the Colts system.

BTW, we have two massive G's on our squad now in Thomas and Big Mac. Mobility is just as important as size.

Any player on either side of the line that can move a guy at will cost a ton of money, period. Mauling guards are not the biggest criteria for the scheme, as guards have to be pretty athletic in the Colts scheme. If you can do both, great, though you'll likely get a huge pay day. Darryn Colledge was probably the best bet for the Colts, but he got a 5 year, $27.5 million dollar deal with $10 million in guarantees. Not to mention that Peyton wasn't signed before then, so that slows down what the team could do. Once Peyton was signed, the market was nearly dry.

First off, I don't think the timing of Peyton's contract had any bearing on what FAs we signed. The FAs we did sign were relative bargain signings, and it was even a big stretch for the Colts to sign them.

Second, Ijalana will likely spend some time at OG, and may even start there until he learns the ropes at RT.

I was hoping we would pick up Harvey Dahl but no such luck. One thing is, a lot of the road grader type guys we - as fans - covet, are not guys who would fit well in our zone blocking scheme. The guys who can "take out one of the opponents DT's single handedly" and function well in zone blocking scheme like ours are rare and cost lot.

If DeVan and Pollak are our starting guards - at least after game 4 or so - I too will be disappointed but I think both will be improved. It's a very good chance, however, that neither one will start. I would like to see Ijalana and McClendon start. But we could see Jamie Thomas starting or any combination of the players mentioned.

I really think we have the makings of a pretty good line eventually, but I think it is going to take a while for these guys to learn their assignments and to jell with each other. That transition time is inevitable but it makes me nervous.

One more thing, I don't think we really have 15mil to play with, from what I have seen I think it's more in the 4.5 mil range. I could be wrong and the salary cap is so confusing that I have learned not to trust any reports on it.

Oh, and one more, one more thing... I miss your picture of Brady in boots!

15 mil is old news, that was before free agent signings and re-signings and whatnot. We're closer to 7 mil. And you need a bit of cap space for contingencies.

No that was after anderson & sims , befor Harris in article I had read , soory no link, but who really knows

Still i also hears Bears Center Kreuetz ( spelling ) may still want to play after saying bo to bears and move him to guard if willing and may be manageable, he has to be a better guard out of his center position than we have after Ijalana is brought up to speed, I am saying use him opposit iljalana

Maybe Tommy Harris can convince him

No that was after anderson & sims , befor Harris in article I had read , soory no link, but who really knows

Still i also hears Bears Center Kreuetz ( spelling ) may still want to play after saying bo to bears and move him to guard if willing and may be manageable, he has to be a better guard out of his center position than we have after Ijalana is brought up to speed, I am saying use him opposit iljalana

How well do you think he'd do at guard? I heard Ross Tucker and Matt Williamson discussing him, and it just doesn't seem like he has a lot left in the tank, being near the bottom of last year's starting centers.

Kreutz signed with the Saints.

I agree though, i'm not all that sold on our line again at the moment. I thought they were going to keep CJ, work him inside as long as Castonzo could handle LT. If not, CJ could have played LT until Castonzo was ready. McClendon, from every report i heard last week, was not very impressive. I hope the line is improved, but have my doubts. We need the 2 rookies to learn fast and to produce, otherwise i don't see how the line is any better off from years past.

First off, I don't think the timing of Peyton's contract had any bearing on what FAs we signed. The FAs we did sign were relative bargain signings, and it was even a big stretch for the Colts to sign them.

I mentioned nothing of the guys the Colts signed after Peyton signed for that very reason. It's not absurd to believe, however, the Colts wouldn't be willing to commit to one of the better guards (like Colledge)before they knew what they were working with. The other three signings were low priced, one year deals, but a guy like Colledge (5 year, $27.5 million) or Harvey Dahl (4 year contract) were looking for things much bigger. I doubt the team would sign them even after the deal, but guys wanting that kind of deal weren't likely looked at at all without Peyton in place (and thus knowing how much cap room the team was working with).

Second, Ijalana will likely spend some time at OG, and may even start there until he learns the ropes at RT.

I said nothing about Ijalana, as I didn't see any reason. We were talking about why the Colts didn't sign a free agent guard. I figured the presence of Ijalana and McClendon had something to do with that regardless. I imagine this was more in response to the OP, though saying "second" would make it seem otherwise.

Actually we are in pretty good shape at guard. Even have a couple of tackles could move in there. The real issue is gonna be Peyton's blind side pass protection, Left Tackle. Prolly have to start out with a TE on that side, but even that requires some playing time together so they know who is doin' what to who. That was the real urgency in getting JA signed....Backfield Blocking....

Not worried about 3rd and 2. I'm just certain we have removed, shredded, and burned 'run right behind Diem' from the play book. So it's left side or guicky pass to TE for 3 yards...

BIGuglies win football games

I mentioned nothing of the guys the Colts signed after Peyton signed for that very reason. It's not absurd to believe, however, the Colts wouldn't be willing to commit to one of the better guards (like Colledge)before they knew what they were working with. The other three signings were low priced, one year deals, but a guy like Colledge (5 year, $27.5 million) or Harvey Dahl (4 year contract) were looking for things much bigger. I doubt the team would sign them even after the deal, but guys wanting that kind of deal weren't likely looked at at all without Peyton in place (and thus knowing how much cap room the team was working with).

I don't think it's absurd at all. How often have the Colts spent a significant amount of money on another team's FA, let alone a couple of offensive guards that likely don't even fit the scheme?

This year seems a bit different, because the FAs we signed are actually recognizable names. But it actually doesn't stray too far from their usual philosophy: cheap, low risk free agent signings to fill a need.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the Colts were ever realistically going to go after guys like the ones you mentioned... whether Peyton signed early or not. Keep in mind, those guys are going to demand big, long term contracts.... we still have to resign Mathis, Wayne, Garçon and who knows who else next year.

I said nothing about Ijalana, as I didn't see any reason. We were talking about why the Colts didn't sign a free agent guard. I figured the presence of Ijalana and McClendon had something to do with that regardless. I imagine this was more in response to the OP, though saying "second" would make it seem otherwise.

Yeah, that was actually directed at the OP.

We have had good luck picking up Lilja from the Chiefs, maybe it is not a bad option to get Brian Waters. If we don't make any moves, this is where I think we will end up:

This assumes McClendon will continue to not impress.

If the rookies do not pan out, it will be Linkenbach (2nd year), Kyle DeVan (3rd year), Saturday (veteran), Pollak (4th year), Diem (veteran).

If the rookies pan out, it will be Castanzo, Kyle DeVan, Saturday, Pollak/Ijalana, Linkenbach/Diem.

I still like DeVan more than Pollak for our pass oriented offense, as a guard, he makes few mistakes in pass protection, based on the last couple of years. Castanzo is the key to our options. Castanzo holding his own at LT will allow the Colts to not compensate thus giving them options to play the best guys at the best positions, IMO.

I keep wondering why we haven't brought in a good solid vet run blocker. We need a vet to mentor these new draft picks that are suppose to improve our run game. Because I really don't see how a group of linemen whose primary success (if you call last year a success)is pass protection can mentor a group of new guys how to run block. Yes the coaches can train and teach them. But the little things that make the difference from being average to being good are learned from someone whose been there and done that IMO.

I don't think it's absurd at all. How often have the Colts spent a significant amount of money on another team's FA, let alone a couple of offensive guards that likely don't even fit the scheme?

I think you need to reread what I said there. We (mostly) agreed on that. I mentioned that I don't think the Colts were going to sign them anyway. My point was that it was especially less likely when they still had to figure out how much Manning would cost. I concur that the guys this year still fit the MO as cheap, one year guys, and that's another reason I said the an OG that might actually compete to start would be unlikely.

I think you need to reread what I said there. We (mostly) agreed on that. I mentioned that I don't think the Colts were going to sign them anyway. My point was that it was especially less likely when they still had to figure out how much Manning would cost. I concur that the guys this year still fit the MO as cheap, one year guys, and that's another reason I said the an OG that might actually compete to start would be unlikely.

Nah, I'm too lazy to go back and re-read. Only so much time to read nowadays.

While I woudnt mind waters bieng a colt..think about this real quick..we have wha 7 mil?...colts have already said wayne,mathis are priority to resign but what if one or two or by the football gods blessing all three of the def fa signings have a really good year for us..sims is 26,anderson 25,and harris isnt even 30 yet...so it would be nice if polian(s) wanted to extend one or possibly two during season so they woulndt just be one and done..

While I woudnt mind waters bieng a colt..think about this real quick..we have wha 7 mil?...colts have already said wayne,mathis are priority to resign but what if one or two or by the football gods blessing all three of the def fa signings have a really good year for us..sims is 26,anderson 25,and harris isnt even 30 yet...so it would be nice if polian(s) wanted to extend one or possibly two during season so they woulndt just be one and done..

at 34 and still unsigned it's likely the colts could sign waters to a 1yr deal....