Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Neither Grigson Or Pagano Are At Luck's Pro Day

HarassedOffTheSite

Here is the full article:

Star reporter Mike Chappell is in Palo Alto, Calif., today to chronicle Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck’s pro day workout at 2 p.m. in front of

NFL coaches and executives.

Update: 2:45 p.m.

The Colts are represented only by QB coach Clyde Christensen and area scout Matt Terpening. Most of the people who watched Robert Griffin III at Baylor on Wednesday returned home from Waco. That included Colts general manager Ryan Grigson and coach Chuck Pagano.

Update: 2:40 p.m.

ESPN's Rachel Nichols reports that former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, a Stanford professor and NFL fan, is in attendance.

Update: 2:30 p.m.

Washington owner Daniel Snyder and coach Mike Shanahan are at pro day.

Update: 1:50 p.m.

Players are in the weight room working out for NFL scouts. That part of the workout is off limits to the media. The on-field portion starts at 2:30 p.m.

Luck's workout is scheduled to include 48 passes --- 46 percent from shotgun, 25 percent five-step drops, 15 percent play action, 6 percent three-step drops, 4 percent seven-step drops and 4 percent one-stepdrops.

Watch for Chappell’s updates as the Colts gather information to help them decide who to take with the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft on April 26.

Grigson and Pagano were in Waco, Texas, on Wednesday to watch Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III work out. By all accounts, the Heisman Trophy winner put on a dazzling display, which could give the Colts brain trust something to think about if Luck isn’t equally impressive.

Follow Chappell

on Twitter, @mchappell51. He also will provide reports this afternoon on Indystar.com, including a one-on-one interviewwith Luck.

Stanford's pro day will be streamed live on ESPN3. The NFL Network will have two live shows from Stanford --- noon to 1 p.m. and 3-4 p.m.

ESPN.com had a blog post early this morning on

Luck and Stanford's pro day.

Offensive lineman David DeCastro said of the event, "It's pretty crazy, because we couldn't even get a game televised a couple of years ago."

ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky quotes a scout who calls Luck's workout today a "formality" because the Colts will take him first regardless of how he performs. Another scout said it would take a "catastrophic" workout for Luck to fall from the top spot.

Like Polian just said on ESPN there is nothing Luck can show you today today if you are teams with the top couple of picks. He has already been scouted and analyzed extensively for months and months now. Irsay was sold on Luck long ago.

Which contradicts Polian's assertion last year that no decision would be made on who to take until April when all of the scouts final work is rolled up.

Hmmmm....which Polian to believe.

Maybe Grigson and Pagano attented the Baylor Pro day mainly because of DT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste?

Wright could fall into the second round, and Ganaway is a big back, so maybe it was about other players. I liked what all three of those guys did yesterday - they all looked good. That being said, I do find it odd that neither the HC or GM, even if sick, disinterested, or convinced, wouldn't be there just for the sake of protocol or appearance.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Irsay is calling the shots on this one.

Irsay even had the last say--called the shots--on first round picks when BP was GM...BP, Dungy, and Irsay have said this multiple times. Basically Irsay listened to what BP/Head Coach had to say and then made the final call.

Wright could fall into the second round, and Ganaway is a big back, so maybe it was about other players. I liked what all three of those guys did yesterday - they all looked good. That being said, I do find it odd that neither the HC or GM, even if sick, disinterested, or convinced, wouldn't be there just for the sake of protocol or appearance.

Everybody seems to be raving about Wright's Pro day performance and improved 40 time. He was already a 1st round prospect before so I suspect his stock will have only gone up or stayed the same.

It still doesn't make sense for them not be there. There are other players that could be additions later in the draft.

Of course they could be at other pro days.

Boise State, East Carolina, LSU, Maine, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Stanford, Tennessee-Chattanooga

LSU is the only other school that should have the talent to draw them away from Stanford. Maybe Boise State.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d826dde13/article/2012-pro-days-schedule

It still doesn't make sense for them not be there. There are other players that could be additions later in the draft.

Of course they could be at other pro days.

Boise State, East Carolina, LSU, Maine, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Stanford, Tennessee-Chattanooga

LSU is the only other school that should have the talent to draw them away from Stanford. Maybe Boise State.

http://www.nfl.com/d...o-days-schedule

Aside from Fleener and Luck, there aren't too many players you're really worried about seeing in person. And you've already seen plenty of Fleener and Luck. The area scouts have seen the other guys, and one of them is there with Clyde today.

Plus, both Grigson and Pagano are sick.

Aside from Fleener and Luck, there aren't too many players you're really worried about seeing in person. And you've already seen plenty of Fleener and Luck. The area scouts have seen the other guys, and one of them is there with Clyde today.

Plus, both Grigson and Pagano are sick.

Take the little Tom Cruise looking slot receiver for example... I don't know his draft potential, whether it's 2nd-3rd round or 6th-7th. I would want something more than Clyde Christensen viewing him and others. These events are obviously taped(not tv tape), but game type video so they can review everything later.

Sick is one thing, but it still surprises me that they aren't there.

Take the little Tom Cruise looking slot receiver for example... I don't know his draft potential, whether it's 2nd-3rd round or 6th-7th. I would want something more than Clyde Christensen viewing him and others. These events are obviously taped(not tv tape), but game type video so they can review everything later.

pneumonia and flu aren't just slight things...especially when weather is such bad, cold and windy... Grigson is out for a while... Pagano may get well sooner.

pneumonia and flu aren't just slight things...especially when weather is such bad, cold and windy... Grigson is out for a while... Pagano may get well sooner.

Fair points, but if it were me, I'd make other arrangements to make sure I was there one way or another. Unless I was on my death bed.

Fair points, but if it were me, I'd make other arrangements to make sure I was there one way or another. Unless I was on my death bed.

I think they managed to watch Luck (video files from pro day, etc...). But Christensen was there, and thats the most important thing IMO. Next would be OC and/or Pagano...

Wonder if Irsay going to meet Luck before draft.

I think they managed to watch Luck (video files from pro day, etc...). But Christensen was there, and thats the most important thing IMO. Next would be OC and/or Pagano...

Wonder if Irsay going to meet Luck before draft.

I'm sure they'll talk when they work him out in Indy. I've never had confidence in Christensen to start with, so that isn't a selling point for me.

I was talking more about other players than Luck. Luck coming here is a given. I'm sure Arians was likely at LSU since he wasn't at Stanford.

I'm sure they'll talk when they work him out in Indy. I've never had confidence in Christensen to start with, so that isn't a selling point for me.

I was talking more about other players than Luck. Luck coming here is a given. I'm sure Arians was likely at LSU since he wasn't at Stanford.

Perhaps checking for some potent WR?

Meh. Kind of over zealous if you ask me. There's gonna be 250 players taken in this draft, plus another couple hundred signed as UDFAs. I don't think the GM and head coach need to see all of them in person. The Cardinal workout is primarily about Fleener and Luck, and maybe DeCastro. I don't think DeCastro is on our radar, and I don't think Fleener is within reach. Luck is a well-known and probably decided upon commodity.

Let these fellas get home and get some chicken soup in them. They've been busy for a while now, and they've got another month of hard work until the draft. Even if they're at home, I doubt they're watching soap operas and doing crossword puzzles.

Meh. Kind of over zealous if you ask me. There's gonna be 250 players taken in this draft, plus another couple hundred signed as UDFAs. I don't think the GM and head coach need to see all of them in person. The Cardinal workout is primarily about Fleener and Luck, and maybe DeCastro. I don't think DeCastro is on our radar, and I don't think Fleener is within reach. Luck is a well-known and probably decided upon commodity.

Let these fellas get home and get some chicken soup in them. They've been busy for a while now, and they've got another month of hard work until the draft. Even if they're at home, I doubt they're watching soap operas and doing crossword puzzles.

I was just thinking about some of the other guys catching passes. We'd have to give up quite a bit to move up to get Fleener, so I don't view him as an option.

A 3rd WR/TE that Luck has a connection with or TE, or what have you might be better than someone with equal talent that played elsewhere..

I'm sure they were watching it on the tube.

ahhh! I'm not sure if I could handle having a WR that looks like Tom Cruise on the team. I guess if he's REALLY REALLY REALLY good it would make up for it. :tvsmash:

tomcruise1.jpg

I was just thinking about some of the other guys catching passes. We'd have to give up quite a bit to move up to get Fleener, so I don't view him as an option.

A 3rd WR/TE that Luck has a connection with or TE, or what have you might be better than someone with equal talent that played elsewhere..

I'm sure they were watching it on the tube.

Luck has a private workout with the Colts next month, so I guess they have their bases covered.

Again it really wasn't about them seeing Luck. He's a given.

Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. They can't go to every pro day. There are a ton of players they'd want to see, and they won't be able to see them all. The other players at Stanford might just be in that category. But as for the receivers, Luck will need someone to throw to at the private workout. They'll probably be there.