Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Cutdown - Sept 5

EastStreet

Only a week and a half away from cutdown day.

Given we'll have no pre-season games to watch, it's going to be harder this year guessing who likely to get cut.

Anyone have any bold predictions of a surprise name they think might get released?

Any thoughts on what Indy will be shopping for from other team's discards. I think it's fair to assume we'll have our eyes open for TEs, DBs, and OL. Short of injuries happening in the next 10 days, I think we're set at QB, RB, WR, LB, and DL. 

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Only a week and a half away from cutdown day.

This link shows it to be Sep 5.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2020-important-nfl-dates/

Sept. 5

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/NonFootball Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

30 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

This link shows it to be Sep 5.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2020-important-nfl-dates/

Sept. 5

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/NonFootball Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

Thanks. I did a google and it gave me 8-31. An extra week is nice. I do like the thought though of doing it earlier as it might give teams more time to shop discards and practice.

I'm actually starting to think we might see more trades at cutdown time.  It's being reported Ngakoue is close to being traded an unnamed team in the next 24 hours for a 2nd.  BR thinks we should trade A. Walker to the Eagles for a 3rd to solve their need.  They think the Dolphins should give us a 3rd for Mack for the same reason.  We could probably trade Chase for a pick.   Ballard loves those picks. We are deep at some spots and he might be tempted if he sees the offer as a good one.  

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm actually starting to think we might see more trades at cutdown time.  It's being reported Ngakoue is close to being traded an unnamed team in the next 24 hours for a 2nd.  BR thinks we should trade A. Walker to the Eagles for a 3rd to solve their need.  They think the Dolphins should give us a 3rd for Mack for the same reason.  We could probably trade Chase for a pick.   Ballard loves those picks. We are deep at some spots and he might be tempted if he sees the offer as a good one.  

I could see a trade happening, but doubt it's for Ngakoue. I'm hearing the Raiders and Eagles. DE just doesn't make sense at this stage unless. I'd rather sign Clowney as a short term FA than trade away a starter.

There's no way I'd give up Walker right now anyway.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How about this one. We cut Mo-Allie-Cox?

Given our situation at TE right now, I don't see us cutting him. It is a make or break year for him though. If he doesn't emerge with Rivers as QB, I think we need to move on. We're working out several TEs right now, so wouldn't totally be shocked. I'm really hoping he turns the corner this year.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Given our situation at TE right now, I don't see us cutting him. It is a make or break year for him though. If he doesn't emerge with Rivers as QB, I think we need to move on. We're working out several TEs right now, so wouldn't totally be shocked. I'm really hoping he turns the corner this year.

He's the most bold guy I can give honestly. I don't think there will anything too bold beyond that. Maybe the most bold thing otherwise is if we cut Eason, but I don't see that happening.

i think kelly and eason both go to the practice squad, no need for them on the roster with PR the clear starter and jacoby the 20 million $ backup.  if there was ever a good time to have 2 qbs protected on the practice squad this is it

dont think its likely eason is getting signed to someones active roster on cut day

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i think kelly and eason both go to the practice squad, no need for them on the roster with PR the clear starter and jacoby the 20 million $ backup.  if there was ever a good time to have 2 qbs protected on the practice squad this is it

dont think its likely eason is getting signed to someones active roster on cut day

No way Eason goes to the practice squad. There are a handful of teams he could be a backup QB for. He'd get claimed rather easily. Kelly I agree will go to the practice squad.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

The "protection" really isn't full protection. From what I read, it's weekly, and players are only protected from Tuesday afternoon on. Still subject to poaching on Monday and early Tuesday each week.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No way Eason goes to the practice squad. There are a handful of teams he could be a backup QB for. He'd get claimed rather easily. Kelly I agree will go to the practice squad.

i dont man, hes just a guy with potential now.  another team would have to think pretty highly of a rookie that didnt do much in college and didnt get much offseason to name him their #2

Just now, aaron11 said:

i dont man, hes just a guy with potential now.  another would have to think pretty highly of a rookie that didnt do much in college and didnt get much offseason to name him their #2

He's a free mid-round draft pick with potential. If Ballard took him in the 4th round, then he knew he wouldn't fall much further. For other teams, all they have to ask is "is Eason a better backup then this old veteran or career backup we have on the roster now?" If the answer is yes, then they can claim him and take a risk on a relatively high potential backup that's young with future starting potential. There's quite a few teams that would do that.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The "protection" really isn't full protection. From what I read, it's weekly, and players are only protected from Tuesday afternoon on. Still subject to poaching on Monday and early Tuesday each week.

that would make it  risky.  personally i dont think jacob is actually ready to play in the league, have not heard a lot about him in camp  yet 

Jacob would have to look pretty bad to be placed on the PS IMO. I think we'll carry 3 to be honest, and half the teams do. I could see someone picking him up.

Kelly is the safer option to be stashed on the PS.

As far as names I could see being released... Wilkins/Nix/Burton will be a threesome to watch. I only think 2 of the 3 make it. Given our TE situation, I don't think we cut Burton unless we sign another around cut down. I could also see some weird stuff with the DBs. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Jacob would have to look pretty bad to be placed on the PS IMO. I think we'll carry 3 to be honest, and half the teams do. I could see someone picking him up.

As far as names I could see being released... Wilkins/Nix/Burton will be a threesome to watch. I only think 2 of the 3 make it. Given our TE situation, I don't think we cut Burton unless we sign another around cut down. I could also see some weird stuff with the DBs. 

No way they expose Eason to waivers. Teams don't use a 4th on a developmental QB and then try to waive to the practice squad. I can never remember that happening .

It would be far more likely for him to get a little ding and end up on IR. 

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

No way they expose Eason to waivers. Teams don't use a 4th on a developmental QB and then try to waive to the practice squad. I can never remember that happening .

It would be far more likely for him to get a little ding and end up on IR. 

Unless he get's caught smuggling in strippers, he'll be on the 53

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I would be surprised if we cut Nix.  I really think they want an actual FB on the roster and that's the reason we signed him.  I expect something to happen with either Wilkens or Mack.  A trade is more likely than a cut I believe.  But we shall see. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised if we cut Nix.  I really think they want an actual FB on the roster and that's the reason we signed him.  I expect something to happen with either Wilkens or Mack.  A trade is more likely than a cut I believe.  But we shall see. 

IDK. The market for RBs just isn't what it used to be. And I don't think we'd trade Mack for what we'd get for him. And not sure we'd get anything for Wilkins to be honest. With FAs like Freeman and Hyde still available (unless they got picked up recently), I just don't see a return. 

I'm also not sure we'd keep both Burton and Nix. Burton is a TE, but he's a short TE with a FB profile. I just can't see us easily keeping both. I do think Wilkins is expendable with both Mack and Taylor, but I also think Mack will be gone next year, and Wilkins would make a good #2 for Taylor. 

IDK. 

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. The market for RBs just isn't what it used to be. And I don't think we'd trade Mack for what we'd get for him. And not sure we'd get anything for Wilkins to be honest. With FAs like Freeman and Hyde still available (unless they got picked up recently), I just don't see a return. 

I'm also not sure we'd keep both Burton and Nix. Burton is a TE, but he's a short TE with a FB profile. I just can't see us easily keeping both. I do think Wilkins is expendable with both Mack and Taylor, but I also think Mack will be gone next year, and Wilkins would make a good #2 for Taylor. 

IDK. 

Who in the world is catching passes at TE after Doyle if they get rid of Burton?

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I think wilkins gets cut they're not gonna have 4 runningbacks on the active roster

Technically, it would be 5.  

But I disagree.  Nix takes a TE spot so we carry 3, Hines takes a WR spot so we carry 5, and with Mack probably gone next season, why wouldn’t we keep the all time Colts leader in YPC?  

Just MHO!

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No comparison, Eason is a QB, just not happening IMO. I am not even high on Eason but if you draft QB that high he is making the roster unless he just screws up off the field.

Also, Rivers is unsure for next season and Brissett will be gone so it would leave the possibility of going into next year without any QB's with experience in the system.  Very unlikely Eason goes to the practice squad.   I think it is so unlikely that it's hardly worth discussion.  

I can see Wilkins cut, although I will be bummed.  

With Taylor, Mack and Hines as well as a solid OL, Nix may not be totally needed.  

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Fountain has been having a nice training camp, but I'm wondering if he's on the bubble? I would think he's safe, but you never know...

I think he is on the inside of the bubble.    

Safe:

Hilton

Pittman

Campbell

Pascal

The rest:

Daurice Fountain

Marcus Johnson

Dezmon Patmon

Chad Williams

Ahston Dulin

Artavis Scott

I hadn't heard how any of the bottom 4 have been doing.  

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think he is on the inside of the bubble.    

Safe:

Hilton

Pittman

Campbell

Pascal

The rest:

Daurice Fountain

Marcus Johnson

Dezmon Patmon

Chad Williams

Ahston Dulin

Artavis Scott

I hadn't heard how any of the bottom 4 have been doing.  

I believe we had 6 total for the start of the season last year correct? So realistically we're looking at two spots being up for grabs. 

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Those trades are wonky...but it is BR. No way does Walker or Mack, in walk years, fetch 3rd round picks in this environment. Ballard might get mid Day 3 picks...but I don't see why that would appeal to him.

45 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Those trades are wonky...but it is BR. No way does Walker or Mack, in walk years, fetch 3rd round picks in this environment. Ballard might get mid Day 3 picks...but I don't see why that would appeal to him.

They won't trade Walker or Mack. It takes several years of good drafting to make a position a strength on your roster. Once you get to that point, you don't trade away your most proven players at those positions, you use them to help your team win games. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. 

Is Burton even practicing? I have yet to hear anything about him in camp...unless I just missed it. I would say there's a chance he doesn't even make the team if he's not healthy and showing out. They rolled the dice on him because of the familiarity...but let's not forget that CHI had released him even though they didn't really save any money...and then went on to spend more money (and draft capital) to bring in a dozen other TEs...including a broken down Jimmy Graham.

Suffice to say...I will be pleasantly surprised at whatever they get out of Burton this year...I think there's a decent chance he's toast...but I hope that's not the case.

Archived