Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manny Lawson?

OllyDawes

i believe if we get we might trade freeney to open up more cap room,awesome player dont get me wrong but has a hefty contract and we could that extra cap to land a solid ILB and maybe NT or DE like pangago has been doing this entire FA landing solid players with not so hefty contracts which i think would be a good move cuz it could help us in the draft by trying to score some good secondary players where we need the most help at

we already tried to trade him, but it didnt work out and Robert Mathis tweeted that Dwight will be the rush LB in paganos defense.

Grigs is playing it smart right now with waiting until possibly draft day to get the right offers for Freeney. He isnt simply going to just give him up for nothing. Bottom line is Freeney doesnt fit this system well, and Mathis is the better pass rusher from the DE/OLB spot simply because he translates better. We would then add another DE/OLB in the draft or FA and would be fine with our pass rush without Freeney. So when the opportunity comes, and I think it may, to get a 2nd rounder for Freeney, Why not take it?

Grigs is playing it smart right now with waiting until possibly draft day to get the right offers for Freeney. He isnt simply going to just give him up for nothing. Bottom line is Freeney doesnt fit this system well, and Mathis is the better pass rusher from the DE/OLB spot simply because he translates better. We would then add another DE/OLB in the draft or FA and would be fine with our pass rush without Freeney. So when the opportunity comes, and I think it may, to get a 2nd rounder for Freeney, Why not take it?

I doubt they get a 2nd rounder straight up for Freeney, but maybe, if packaged with our 3rd, we could get another late 1st/early second. Maybe. I'd be all in for that!

No way we get a second rounder or even third with his age and the fact hes got 1 year left, teams can just wait that year in that case and get a better deal on a 33 year old defensive end no way do we get a third rounder and teams would be nuts to give up a second rounder, when their are younger defensive ends in the draft NO WAY

we arent waiting for anything except for freeney to say "ok Mr Irsay Ill restructure the rest of whats left of my deal for the better of the team seeing as how I will be 33 and have only one year left and have at most 1 contract left in me", yeah I can see that conversation.

How many Linebackers would that give us jeesh

1 more really good one to go with a bunch of bottom of the barrel, depth players.

This move would open us up to shop Freeney a little easier. Have Lawson play SAM, with Angerer and Conner in the middle, and Mathis would be the rush linebacker. Nickel formations would have Mathis and Hughes/Hickman/Draft pick at end, with Nevis and Redding at DT.

1 more really good one to go with a bunch of bottom of the barrel, depth players.

This move would open us up to shop Freeney a little easier. Have Lawson play SAM, with Angerer and Conner in the middle, and Mathis would be the rush linebacker. Nickel formations would have Mathis and Hughes/Hickman/Draft pick at end, with Nevis and Redding at DT.

I see Nevis and Redding at defensive End

I don't see Nevis being a 3-4 end. Moala would be a better 3-4 end IMO. No, he don't have the speed that Nevis has but that really isn't the makeup of a 3-4 end anyways. I see Nevis as only a situational DT in the 4-3 hybrid the Colts will probably play. IMO Nevis probably isn't in the Colts long term plans.

I don't see Nevis being a 3-4 end. Moala would be a better 3-4 end IMO. No, he don't have the speed that Nevis has but that really isn't the makeup of a 3-4 end anyways. I see Nevis as only a situational DT in the 4-3 hybrid the Colts will probably play. IMO Nevis probably isn't in the Colts long term plans.

Yeah, I agree that Moala probably fits the natural 34 End role better, but with it being a hybrid, I think both will get plenty of reps. Nevis just seems a little too short and squat to regularly go against 6'7 OTs.

Getting back to Lawson, if the Colts were to sign him I think it would be to play the strong-side outside backer in the 3-4, which would put Mathis at the weak-side pass rusher. From what I've read, Lawson was not as effective as a pass rusher as most experts thought he would be coming out of NC State but he had one of his better season's last year playing the strong side (coincidentally, under the Colts new linebackers coach). It they do sign him, I wonder what it says about Freeney's status.

Oh yeah great "the most wins a decade" w/ one SB. That's the complacent attitude that backed us in the corner we are in now being satisfied with regular season wins. I trade the most wins in a decade for two more SB wins

Easy as that, huh? Funny that Polian is in rarified air in the NFL for what the Colts were able to accomplish during his watch, not just among his contemporaries who also had to navigate the cap, but among all-time GMs... yet us armchair GMs want to believe its easy to win SBs, and he ought to have won more. That BP... What a bum!

Easy as that, huh? Funny that Polian is in rarified air in the NFL for what the Colts were able to accomplish during his watch, not just among his contemporaries who also had to navigate the cap, but among all-time GMs... yet us armchair GMs want to believe its easy to win SBs, and he ought to have won more. That BP... What a bum!

Never said he wasn't good at his job. He did a good job but I believe he n the Orginization got complacent and failed to adapt and make necessary changes to push us over the top