Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason Cut Down To 2 Games

Crush22

I don't mind it at all, but the original thought or push, was to replace preseason games with joint practices I believe. This will hurt the rooks and new comers though. At least all teams will have the same limitations. Those with new QBs are likely hurt the most. Thank goodness Rivers is familiar with the scheme.

On the contrary, I think the NFL going forward is exactly what we as a society need to get a dose of normalcy. The virus will spread as all viruses do among us, with the so called "herd" immunity growing broader and stronger. Most will get through an infection just fine, while we also continue to use intelligent social distancing, etc. to avoid unnecessary contact. And we'll be better served by the engagement of our governments in providing money for a vaccine and medications to get us through it. Time to recognize that we cannot survive economically if we don't get back to working and living. If there aren't any fans in attendance at NFL games through an abundance of caution, so be it. Its the ultimate made for TV sport and the games should go forward. We'll get through this moment in time, and come out of it better prepared and safer. You cannot destroy our way of life hiding from this. My opinion of course. 

11 hours ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

At this point I would be shocked if we have a season. 

I'm guessing there won't be a season as well.  

Regarding preseason games:

I'm in the minority, but I like them.  For me it is like watching a well organized practice.  I like seeing how unknown players do.  

I see the Dusseldorf got wiped out by Union Berlin last weekend. Looks like the KIA Tigers are going into the 9th right now with a lead Hanwah Eagles. 6-1. Looks like Everton beat Man U yesterday. 

It's probably a good thing the UK, South Korea and Germany don't have an election this year. Virus' seem to know these things.

If there's not a NFL season, it'll be a massive mistake born of bad information and fear (and politics).

On 7/2/2020 at 8:11 AM, Myles said:

I'm guessing there won't be a season as well.  

Regarding preseason games:

I'm in the minority, but I like them.  For me it is like watching a well organized practice.  I like seeing how unknown players do.  

They may start the season but I doubt they finish it. I’m already trying to get a refund on my season tickets because I’m in the high risk group. Indiana has at least been opening up more slowly than other states but there has been an uptick here causing Marion County to pause its next reopening stage. The governor has introduced a stage 4.5 instead of going to stage 5 but even he has based his reopening phases with an endpoint of having fans for the Indy 500 in August and having fans in Lucas Oil. 

On 7/2/2020 at 6:53 AM, shakedownstreet said:

The money is there to be made from TV once the regular season starts. That's the primary reason I believe it will

Yepppppp

If you are Chad Kelly and Jacob Eason..... you aren’t very happy

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Yepppppp

If you are Chad Kelly and Jacob Eason..... you aren’t very happy

Just saw there may not be any preseason games and TC rosters might not be 90. Chad Kelly might find himself on the outside. Because why keep 4 QB. No preseason games would mean a guy like Eason will go almost two years without meaningful snaps. Let’s say there is no season what happens to contracts that are up after this season. Can they carry them over to next year. I think they will start but we will see if they can finish. As long as no one gets severely ill or big huge blocks of players don’t miss I think they can pull it off but it is all unknown. They are looking at fining players for risky things to put them at risk. No dining in restraints or using Uber or any other risky behavior. Don’t be shocked if tv revenue is way down. They are doing some pretty stupid stuff that is turning people off.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just saw there may not be any preseason games and TC rosters might not be 90. Chad Kelly might find himself on the outside. Because why keep 4 QB. No preseason games would mean a guy like Eason will go almost two years without meaningful snaps. Let’s say there is no season what happens to contracts that are up after this season. Can they carry them over to next year. I think they will start but we will see if they can finish. As long as no one gets severely ill or big huge blocks of players don’t miss I think they can pull it off but it is all unknown. They are looking at fining players for risky things to put them at risk. No dining in restraints or using Uber or any other risky behavior. Don’t be shocked if tv revenue is way down. They are doing some pretty stupid stuff that is turning people off.

There will be some UGLY football....

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There will be some UGLY football....

The NFlPA is saying why out players at risk for games that don’t count. But it might be a good test to play a couple and see what happens. It could be a test. Plans are to test every other day. Players won’t be practicing with any kind of symptoms or be in the building so really the risk is how much can asymtemstic player spread it. Players are going to have to be responsible off the field if they want to play this season. I do think with the fact they will be smart and not be allowed into the building with just a sniffle should keep it from spreading. 

I think they should have to report a couple weeks early to get tested. That way there is no missed TC for any positive cases. I think this year is basically going to just be a wash. Even if they do play it eill just be a wasted year. Feel bad for players who’s contacts are up at the end of this season. Salary cap is going to make it impossible to bring some back. This is why Ryan Kelly isn’t signed yet.

It’s gonna be tough. Read the steps the NBA is taking to keep the virus out of the bubble. People in the bubble are gonna still catch it.   

Will a team have to forfeit if one person on the offense tests positive and the entire offense has to go into quarantine for 2 weeks?  

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

It’s gonna be tough. Read the steps the NBA is taking to keep the virus out of the bubble. People in the bubble are gonna still catch it.   

Will a team have to forfeit if one person on the offense tests positive and the entire offense has to go into quarantine for 2 weeks?  

No. For right no the NFL says they expect cases and will isolate quickly. It’s very good news only 1..2 percent of the mlb players are positive. The WHO even said today they do not believe asytemstic cases can even spread it. 

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The NFlPA is saying why out players at risk for games that don’t count. But it might be a good test to play a couple and see what happens. It could be a test. Plans are to test every other day. Players won’t be practicing with any kind of symptoms or be in the building so really the risk is how much can asymtemstic player spread it. Players are going to have to be responsible off the field if they want to play this season. I do think with the fact they will be smart and not be allowed into the building with just a sniffle should keep it from spreading. 

I think they should have to report a couple weeks early to get tested. That way there is no missed TC for any positive cases. I think this year is basically going to just be a wash. Even if they do play it eill just be a wasted year. Feel bad for players who’s contacts are up at the end of this season. Salary cap is going to make it impossible to bring some back. This is why Ryan Kelly isn’t signed yet.

You have no way to know WHY Ryan Kelly isn’t signed yet.   There are plenty of possible reasons.   Size of the contract.  Length of the contract.  Size of the signing bonus.   Total guaranteed dollars.    YOUR reason might even be the right one.   But you have no way to know.   At least, not right now. 

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No. For right no the NFL says they expect cases and will isolate quickly. It’s very good news only 1..2 percent of the mlb players are positive. The WHO even said today they do not believe asytemstic cases can even spread it. 

Asymptomatic people are leading the spread. This disease doesn’t care what the NFL expects. If players and fans are put in close proximity, there will be spread. A player can test negative in the morning and positive in the evening. The WHO made that statement last month but they also clarified that statement. No one can even red say for sure what asymptomatic really means. You can also be presymptomatic and spread it as well. 

the virus could be around for many years, maybe forever.  they are going to figure out how to play around it and start the season.  if it gets bad they will shut it down but there will be games played, id bet on that 

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the virus could be around for many years, maybe forever.  they are going to figure out how to play around it and start the season.  if it gets bad they will shut it down but there will be games played, id bet on that 

I wouldn’t bet too much.

Our regular season starts in September, by that time MLB will have - in theory - been playing for about 5 weeks.   Roughly the same as basketball.   If those two leagues are forced to shutdown, the NFL won’t wait for trouble to happen.  The NFL will quickly join them and shutdown as well.  

We will all know more in August. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t bet too much.

Our regular season starts in September, by that time MLB will have - in theory - been playing for about 5 weeks.   Roughly the same as basketball.   If those two leagues are forced to shutdown, the NFL won’t wait for trouble to happen.  The NFL will quickly join them and shutdown as well.  

We will all know more in August. 

It'll be interesting to watch, but IMO, the NBA and MLB are different animals. NBA will be playing in a bubble, and MLB is a lot less contact. Heck, you could actually play baseball with a face mask lol. I could see both fairing pretty well, which may or may not be indicative of what we'll see with the NFL. 

All I know is all the players (NFL, MLB, and NBA) should be bubble wrapping themselves given the money they stand to make/loose. I know most of the players are itching to play, so just hope they're disciplined enough to make good choices.

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It'll be interesting to watch, but IMO, the NBA and MLB are different animals. NBA will be playing in a bubble, and MLB is a lot less contact. Heck, you could actually play baseball with a face mask lol. I could see both fairing pretty well, which may or may not be indicative of what we'll see with the NFL. 

All I know is all the players (NFL, MLB, and NBA) should be bubble wrapping themselves given the money they stand to make/loose. I know most of the players are itching to play, so just hope they're disciplined enough to make good choices.

With 100-plus players, coaches and support staff in a locker room in July and August, I don’t see how the NFL survives the season.  And I hope I’m wrong.

But I AGREE with you that the NBA and MLB are completely different.  But since both have dramatically fewer players and coaches, etc,  I think the NFL has a much more difficult  hurdle to clear.   I think the odds for football have to be much more difficult than those for MLB and the NBA.

Please let me be wrong.  Nothing would make me happier. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

why not wear a mask for football too?  might hurt communication but the rest of the world is learning to deal with that too

kind of feel the same way about players being in their bubble, we are all supposed to be doing that anyway 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

why not wear a mask for football too?  might hurt communication but the rest of the world is learning to deal with that too

kind of feel the same way about players being in their bubble, we are all supposed to be doing that anyway 

I believe the NFL is looking into masks for all players. 

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Also looks like packers are planning on fans but reduced capacity. I think a lot of teams will probably do something like this.

w

I wish this was uniform across the NFL. The Packers are going to send a questionnaire to season ticket holders giving them the option to opt out and receive a refund or credit for next season. They also said that masks would be required as well as social distancing. 

I’ve already asked the Colts about opting out and I would do it right now if they’d let me. They haven’t given me a clear answer about what they are going to do. The NFL has already said they were going to tarp off the first 6-8 rows of seats in all stadiums. 

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I don't think the typical masks we see everyday are suitable for many sports applications except maybe baseball. I'm sure though that someone could come up with a helmet with visor and turtleneck like elastic covering going down to the neck. If they can do that without fogging, it would be great.

Players, and teams for that matter, have the resources to be far more bubble like than the average citizen. The extremes the NBA is going to is an example. 

If you cancel the preseason you should be able to carry whoever on that damn team because a it’s unfair to players who didn’t get drafted/and drafted to show if they’re even ready for this kind of playing style that’s unfair..the guys who are stable in the nfl want this because they have a spot already..the nfl is doing too much even talking about fining playing for working out? Don’t work out/don’t practice but yeah you’ll still have to play this season when we need ya to lol..what kind of logic 

20 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

This is a good move, but man, as fans it's easy for us to like this, but you know several rookies are going to be crazy upset. Preseason is their chance to stand out.

It’s lowkey telling guys you better be a great draft pick or most likely you’re wasting our time trying out if you’re only gonna be able to show off in “practice”

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I don't see masks being effective in such a competitive situation... 

non contact, non respiratory space being impossible to control.

I am coming closer to feeling that viable sports seasons are unlikely until there are therapeutics and ultimately a vaccine available.

Sucks a Lot!

Archived