Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Is Your Opinion If The Colts Were To Try To Get Jonathan Stewart?

Brooklyn Colt

The Panthers just recently signed Tolbert to a 4 year deal which now means they have 3 Rbs with Williams, Stewart and Tolbert. All 3 are good Rbs who can be starters for most teams in the league..with the contract that the Panthers gave Williams last year this obviously leaves Stewart as the odd man out.

Me personally I would love if we could get him as I think he is a great running back who didnt get much touches last year playing behind Williams and a running qb like Cam Newton. With the signing of Tolbert he will have to compete with 3 guys just to get some touches. I dont think the idea of getting him is farfechted..what do you guys think if they were to try to get him?

The Panthers just recently signed Tolbert to a 4 year deal which now means they have 3 Rbs with Williams, Stewart and Tolbert. All 3 are good Rbs who can be starters for most teams in the league..with the contract that the Panthers gave Williams last year this obviously leaves Stewart as the odd man out.

Me personally I would love if we could get him as I think he is a great running back who didnt get much touches last year playing behind Williams and a running qb like Cam Newton. With the signing of Tolbert he will have to compete with 3 guys just to get some touches. I dont think the idea of getting him is farfechted..what do you guys think if they were to try to get him?

i would say go get him now if he is available.

I can't imagine the contract would be exorbitant... all but the 4-5 premier NFL RBs are "by committee" types.

I like Stewart but I'll be surprised if we delve further into free agency for a RB... and I'd rather we snag a NT if we can.

True but there are now four guys in that back field that want the ball, if you can grab him for a fair price I would do it. He is a darn good receiving back as well,better than Carter or Brown in that area.

I can't imagine the contract would be exorbitant... all but the 4-5 premier NFL RBs are "by committee" types.

I like Stewart but I'll be surprised if we delve further into free agency for a RB... and I'd rather we snag a NT if we can.

what if they are willing to part with him for a 4-5th round pick?

I like him. He's a beast in pass-blocking as well, and he's only 25. Seems like Pagano wants to run the ball more, and although i like Brown and Carter, Stewart would be awesome.

With that said; i'm not sure it's a good idea. We have alot of BIG holes, and RB isn't one of them. Besides, Carolina would probably ask for a 2nd rounder perhaps more.

Conclusion: No. Intriguing, but no.

If he can be had for cheap, why not try to upgrade?

Having said that, I would ONLY do it IF we were to sign a Porter/Ross type at corner or Garay/Franklin/McKinney/Sims type at nose tackle so we don't have to draft someone high!

It kind of has to be a package deal since we would be giving up a draft pick in trade!

They'd be insane to trade Stewart for that and any team would be insane to not be interested in Stewart for that price.

Brandon Marshall got traded for a 5th round pick

And apparently Stewart has proven to be 3rd on the depth chart in lowly Carolina. I like our guys.

Stewart is a multipurpose back that has proven to be better than Williams last season..he can run, catch and is their ideal back for goal line situations..

No, he wasn't? He was traded to the Dolphins originally for two 2nd round picks and just recently traded to the Bears for two 3rd round picks.

Are you thinking of Santonio Holmes? He was in some hot water at the time and the Steelers were just trying to get rid of him. Panthers are not going to just throw JS out for a 4/5 pick.

Stewart is a multipurpose back that has proven to be better than Williams last season..he can run, catch and is their ideal back for goal line situations..

If the Colts were to get him, he would move to number 1 on the depth chart. imo

...Stewart is a multipurpose back that has proven to be better than Williams last season..he can run, catch and is their ideal back for goal line situations..

You may be correct...

But I don’t think this is what that move is all about. Tolbert was brought in to be the No. 2 back behind either Williams or Stewart.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55627/panthers-likely-to-shuffle-backfield

Nevertheless, I like our guys. We've just got more pressing needs than RB.

Stewart is a great player, however still under contract. Don't know what the teams mindset is yet, and don't know what his mindset is or will be. May be an issue as we get close to start of the season and they start cutting players and setting up their depth chart. Don't know that there would be a lot of interest or movement on his part at this point, but could be wrong.

No, he wasn't? He was traded to the Dolphins originally for two 2nd round picks and just recently traded to the Bears for two 3rd round picks.

Are you thinking of Santonio Holmes? He was in some hot water at the time and the Steelers were just trying to get rid of him. Panthers are not going to just throw JS out for a 4/5 pick.

you're right, my bad..that was a bad example.

Stewart is a great player, however still under contract. Don't know what the teams mindset is yet, and don't know what his mindset is or will be. May be an issue as we get close to start of the season and they start cutting players and setting up their depth chart. Don't know that there would be a lot of interest or movement on his part at this point, but could be wrong.

based on the ESPN article Brian Casserly posted, Stewart is heading into the final year of his rookie contract so I don't think he will be expensive this year..next year he will demand more money and we would be in a good enough position to resign him..also the article states that the Panthers is looking to most likely either trade him or Williams before the draft to get an extra pick and being that we have the top selection in each round we will have the upper hand on most teams

what if they are willing to part with him for a 4-5th round pick?

Well.... now you're twisting my arm.

I would make that deal because we absolutely need to furnish Luck with a credible and solid rushing attack.... although I'm not familiar with Stewart's contract situation and he was a 1st round pick. The signing of C Samson Satele helps address the O-line piece of the running game and bolsters your case, but we'll still need at least one further upgrade at OG.

At this point I suppose OG will be addressed in the draft.... so yeah, I'd trade a 4th or 5th for Stewart.

I think that Carter will have a better year if he can work on the fumbles.

I have a feeling that Addai may be back with us also after the draft. Maybe not but I don't think people have called him. Anyone heard otherwise?

For Stewart, I'd be behind that signing.

(Every time we talk RB's, I miss Edgerrin).

Per rotoworld: Jonathan Stewart rushed nine times for 79 yards with a touchdown and added two catches for seven yards in the Week 17 loss to the Saints.

Stewart did nothing this season to dispel our feeling that he's a top-5 running back talent in the league. He averaged 5.35 yards per carry and added 413 yards receiving on 8.78 yards per catch. The problem, of course, was usage. Stewart shared time with DeAngelo Williams, recording a career-low in carries with 142 and touching the ball an average of just 11.8 times per game. He also had just three rushing touchdowns thanks to Cam Newton's emergence as the goal-line back. Stewart's role is unlikely to change in 2012.

Hes a beast that isnt used enough because of the huge contract given to williams. It also says if the panthers were to trade stewart, they shouldnt settle for anything less than a 2nd. Its highly unlikey we get him, but is grigs pulls this off somehow without giving up a second(id gice a 3rd in a heartbeat)... Pure awesomeness

I would absolutely LOVE them getting him. Easily the most underrated RB in the league, IMO. With the improvements on the line and Stewart back there, the Colts would be able to run the ball better than they have in a long time.

Per rotoworld: Jonathan Stewart rushed nine times for 79 yards with a touchdown and added two catches for seven yards in the Week 17 loss to the Saints.

Stewart did nothing this season to dispel our feeling that he's a top-5 running back talent in the league. He averaged 5.35 yards per carry and added 413 yards receiving on 8.78 yards per catch. The problem, of course, was usage. Stewart shared time with DeAngelo Williams, recording a career-low in carries with 142 and touching the ball an average of just 11.8 times per game. He also had just three rushing touchdowns thanks to Cam Newton's emergence as the goal-line back. Stewart's role is unlikely to change in 2012.

Hes a beast that isnt used enough because of the huge contract given to williams. It also says if the panthers were to trade stewart, they shouldnt settle for anything less than a 2nd. Its highly unlikey we get him, but is grigs pulls this off somehow without giving up a second(id gice a 3rd in a heartbeat)... Pure awesomeness

I would offer 2 third round picks(this year and next)..

He's going to be traded, so that means the Colts will have to either give up most probably draft picks, and I think in this rebuilding mode, it's crucial to have as many draft picks as you can. We have good running backs right now in the resurging Donald Brown and Delone Carter who showed promise last year. Not worth going after Stewart, unless they are willing to dump him like the Texans did to Ryans.

He's going to be traded, so that means the Colts will have to either give up most probably draft picks, and I think in this rebuilding mode, it's crucial to have as many draft picks as you can. We have good running backs right now in the resurging Donald Brown and Delone Carter who showed promise last year. Not worth going after Stewart, unless they are willing to dump him like the Texans did to Ryans.

I think Stewart could be crucial to the rebuilding process just as much if not more than any other rookie not selected with the 1st round pick..he's young enough to grow with this team and can easily be a top 5 player in his position..he can also be a valuable asset to our qb with his excellent receiving skills..while I would be hesitant about giving up a 2nd pick..a 3rd would be a no brainer for me..

Is he better than the Raiders RB Bush? I don't think so, and Bush is a free agent so we wouldn't have to waste a pick. I'd like to see us get a fire cracker in the 4th round, like James from Oregon 9NO WAY is he a 2ed rounder) or a Chris Rainey from Florida. Guys that add speed and a different dimension to our offense.