Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Ol Samson Satele

CashMoney

It could go that way, but from hearing what Saturday said about Ij, I think he has a ton of potential at Tackle. Justice is not very good in pass pro, because he doesn't have the footwork, but I think he's pretty good at moving bigger linemen out of the way. That's why I'm thinking he might be more suited at G than T.

The little bit I saw of Ijalana I liked him. I just think Justice ha no experience at guard. Why knows he might even get cut. Should be a battle on the OL for sure.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Superficially I love this signing - probably the best so far of the new front office. He looks like a "Raven" type player, and with all that successful starting experience it's nice to think that we have such an important position locked down by someone in their prime, without the conjecture about an aging Saturday coming back, or an unproven Pollack moving over. With a rookie QB the more important than ever, and it seems to be rounding into shape.

My only reservations come from the fact that I have no idea why the Raiders didn't try harder to keep them. People applaud their running game, but they released their right guard, will probably move another lineman to center to replace Satele, and are targeting other free agents. Hopefully he just wanted out or they couldn't afford him. Anyone have any more details?

I don't have the details you request, but I know the Raiders are hurting cap-wise because of Carson Palmer.

The little bit I saw of Ijalana I liked him. I just think Justice ha no experience at guard. Why knows he might even get cut. Should be a battle on the OL for sure.

Yeah I think you're right that he has no G experience, but some guys get moved around. I really don't think he was that good at T, although he was playing behind pretty solid ones in Jason Peters and Todd Herremens. A change in scenery and change in position could work out really well. Heck look at Reitz, Practice Squad Tackle for the Ravens, moves over here and he's a starting OG.

I don't have the details you request, but I know the Raiders are hurting cap-wise because of Carson Palmer.

I have heard Pat kirwen & Tim Ryan talk about him on Sirus NFL radio. I believe they feel he is OK, not big enough, & a guy you can do better than. we will see I don't know. I will ask my raider friends.

Yeah I think you're right that he has no G experience, but some guys get moved around. I really don't think he was that good at T, although he was playing behind pretty solid ones in Jason Peters and Todd Herremens. A change in scenery and change in position could work out really well. Heck look at Reitz, Practice Squad Tackle for the Ravens, moves over here and he's a starting OG.

To me jury still out on Reitz, he looks good pass blocking, run blocking HUM. Justice was a high pick, & a starter for 2 years before last year. Was hurt in training camp & ended up in Mudds dog house last year. We didn't give up much for hin though if he ends up sucking. I guess we will see.

I'm not intending on singling you out (even though I suppose I am) and I'm certainly not saying you're going to be wrong.

I always find it amusing that with few exceptions whenever we sign someone new that they get penciled in by someone as a starter.

Bav, everyone says this because the players we had were so awful that CFL players are considered an upgrade :ashamed:

While I agree that Saturday was on his last legs, but he was also pro bowl caliber talent, particularly with his mental grasp of the game. I don't ever remember Satele being nominated for the pro bowl.

Pro bowls don't always tell the tell. Saturday is way out of his prime and was a better product of this system (changing now) and the use of his smarts. It appears we are going away from the softer version of an oline to a more move the pile style which a lot of people have been dying for for years. May or may not work out and these players may not be around come opening day but at least we are looking for new skillset guys.

It sounds like another great pick up. I loving Grigs and Pags! They are hitting hard in the FA market. Hope they can hit it hard in the draft next month. Makes me excited to watch the draft this year :). The Polians draft you knew what you were going to get draft duds, no excitement and very boring to watch! Grant it they did well with Manning. Freeney and a few others. But that was about it. That was just a few.

I don't know the whole story on that. What happened? I will give him a pass if its minor. We all make stupid mistakes. Hopefully he will learn from it and won't get into trouble with the law again.

Well clearly it's a minor situation if he was released the next day. Still though, not a good start.

I made a mock draft in the NFL Draft section without O-linemen, RBs and safeties and I believe it might come true (the premise) :):

http://forums.colts....afeties-no-rbs/

do you think Brown fits with this OL? i love the OL we are having and i agree with peytonator about castonzo Reitz(maybe mcglynn?) satele justice ijalana

but it seems to me we are moving to a more power running a la steelers not zone and i tought brown was much better as a zone/stretch guy, do you think he fits with this kind of OL?

I like what the Colts are doing. You have to give the Patriots credit. They put their money into their lines, so the supporting player are either on their first contract or cheaper players. And it works. With their offensive line, it gives guy like Ben Jarvus Green Ellis Johnson Lincoln Smith and Woodpecker holes to run and Brady has all day to throw. So any receiver will do when you have 8 seconds to throw the ball.

So I love this idea of shoring up the lines. If the offensive line is good, Brown/Carter will run fine and Luck will get better matchups on the outside. You don't need a blue chip receiver to succeed. But I am sure the Colt will get some good talent in the draft at WR.

Watch out for these Colts!

I don't know the whole story on that. What happened? I will give him a pass if its minor. We all make stupid mistakes. Hopefully he will learn from it and won't get into trouble with the law again.

Disorderly conduct was the charge.

Of course... playing for the Raiders is disorderly conduct.

Heres a writeup from colts.com..

Satele, 6-3, 300 pounds, will enter his sixth NFL season. He was originally selected by the Miami Dolphins in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft and played in two seasons (2007-08) with the Dolphins before being traded to the Oakland Raiders (2009-11). He has competed in 78 career games (74 starts) and was a fulltime starter the last two years with the Raiders.

Satele and the Oakland offensive line paved the way for the Raiders to finish second in the NFL in rushing in 2010 and seventh in the league last season. He blocked for running back Darren McFadden’s first career 1,000-yard season in 2010 as McFadden ranked 12th in the league and 8th in the AFC in the category. In 2007, Satele started all 16 games and became the first rookie in Miami Dolphins history to start every regular season game at center.

Colts.com is not going to say:

"He's a lazy locker room cancer, who gets violent with cops and has a poster of Justin Beiber on his wall.

Only kidding, not worried about the first two issues either.

do you think Brown fits with this OL? i love the OL we are having and i agree with peytonator about castonzo Reitz(maybe mcglynn?) satele justice ijalana

but it seems to me we are moving to a more power running a la steelers not zone and i tought brown was much better as a zone/stretch guy, do you think he fits with this kind of OL?

I don't know how well Brown fits this new scheme, but I'm really looking forward to finding out. At some point, if the line opens up holes that are large enough, even I have a chance at finding them, and could probably gain a yard or two.

Colts.com is not going to say:

"He's a lazy locker room cancer, who gets violent with cops and has a poster of Justin Beiber on his wall.

Only kidding, not worried about the first two issues either.

True... now that you mention it, I'm really worried about that poster.

I think it's premature to call McGlynn or Justice starters, given they were backups for their last teams, both with marginal lines, but Satele has been a starter, and for a team that had a very solid OLine. I love the pickup!

Justice was a starter until he got injured, I've always wanted the colts to get him. As for Mike he started a good bit of games, they are both MUCH better than Reitz

Justice was a starter until he got injured, I've always wanted the colts to get him. As for Mike he started a good bit of games, they are both MUCH better than Reitz

I wasn't disparaging any of the FA pick-ups, just that they will likely have to do more to earn the starting spots. If Saturday is gone, though, Satele will likely be the de facto starter.

It's a good signing if Saturday is not going to be back because Satele is just like Saturday, perhaps not quite as intelligent. But he's a very good technician who is going to beat his defender with quickness, positioning and angles not with brute force, which is lacking in his game.

Oakland must be really high on Wiseniewski to let him go.

i do like this signing but i also question why we sign 4 fa o-linemen? As far as i was concerned we only needed a OT and C i know about depth but Pollack is a borderline starter with only one center and guard our depth was fine but we get 4 olinemen? Where is our NT and CB we desperately need those but i am glad Luck and Donald Brown will have a solid O-LINE

i do like this signing but i also question why we sign 4 fa o-linemen? As far as i was concerned we only needed a OT and C i know about depth but Pollack is a borderline starter with only one center and guard our depth was fine but we get 4 olinemen? Where is our NT and CB we desperately need those but i am glad Luck and Donald Brown will have a solid O-LINE

I'm still game for getting another stud guard, but I'm only familiar with 3 OLine pickups so far in FA this year... Justice, McGlynn and Satele... who is the 4th?

There went our squeaky clean reputation. haha New year new reputation. :whatever:

If so, then I would guess that was all Polian / Manning ... hopefully this team doesnt start going after the thug type players - hate to have to fully jump ship after nearly 30 years.

Hmm. I wonder what a Raiders fan would have to say about him. I dont know anything about this guy other than he played on a good run blocking Raider Oline. But that doesnt say much about him specifically.

Seems like a good signing on the surface though.