Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did we hit a homerun in the draft?

Thunderbolt

48 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Colts signed Farrod Green, TE out of Mississippi State.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3930097

Thank you sir. Just read up on him. Stats are meh, but looked at his bio

https://hailstate.com/sports/football/roster/farrod-green/5340

MSU's passing game was awful (2 dif QBs, no WR over 500 yards) last year, so perhaps he's got more to his game then MSU could give him.

Not impressed though with our overall effort to score a legit TE. At this point, I wish we had kept Ebron.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

didnt need a project qb if we are going for it all this season, too many other needs that could help this season win it all

Going for it all?

Look, if we can assume that Rivers has a couple good years left in the tank, then CB & Co. have to start working now on who comes after him.  I think they realize it isn’t Brissett.  So who then?

Is it Eason?  Well, I don’t know.  Time will tell.  But I’ll say this much:  we got him in the 4th, it’s not like we burned up a 1st round pick on him...and I’d rather take that chance than try to salvage the career of a QB that hasn’t worked out somewhere else.  Maybe it’ll work, maybe it won’t.  Maybe he’s a great prospect to have watching and learning from a future HoF quarterback in his twilight.

It’s also better than getting to the end of PR’s career without at least some answers about who is and isn’t going to pick up the reins.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

At this point, I wish we had kept Ebron.

No.  Just no.  Ebron had some definite strengths, but he had some definite weaknesses too.  And at the end of the day, Ebron was all about Ebron.  He didn’t like how the season had gone for him or the team, and he friggin quit.  Even if he didn’t have 7 thumbs, that’s not the kind of guy you want in your locker room.  He’s the kind of guy you want in the other team’s locker room.

Between Doyle, Burton, Grimble, Cox and now Green (who likely ends up on PS), we’ve got some good options at TE.

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

The Colts desperately needed an impact defensive lineman. They got one of the best for pick 13 and he just turned 26 ... so a pretty understandable deal ... no ? 

So now you have the 2 picks in the 2nd , a 3rd , 4th , 5th and 2 6th's. How in God's name are you going to address those 3 "needs" you have. The franchise QB was impossible. To get a sure thing LT or No 1 WR would have taken the majority of our draft capital. We could have traded our 2 seconds to get to 16 and taken DD Lamb ? I would much rather have Taylor and Pittman.  Also I would say Pittman has a chance to be a "poor man's No 1." Certainly his ceiling is not a good 2 or even 3.

Do you have a scenario that you could have even for sure secured 1 of those 3 without gutting our whole draft ? 

1) The first round is not the only place to draft # 1 receivers or left tackles. It is the place you most likely get a QB though. You can believe that it takes a first round pick to address #1 receiver and left tackle. That's fine.

2) I didn't say the Buckner deal wasn't understandable.  

3) I thought they might have a shot to address left tackle as one might slip to 34. They went in round 1 though.

4) Yes, Pittman might turn out to be a number one receiver.  We will have to wait and see. I think he projects more as a good number 2. Obviously the Colts staff really like him though and that's what matters.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

No.  Just no.  Ebron had some definite strengths, but he had some definite weaknesses too.  And at the end of the day, Ebron was all about Ebron.  He didn’t like how the season had gone for him or the team, and he friggin quit.  Even if he didn’t have 7 thumbs, that’s not the kind of guy you want in your locker room.  He’s the kind of guy you want in the other team’s locker room.

Between Doyle, Burton, Grimble, Cox and now Green (who likely ends up on PS), we’ve got some good options at TE.

A strong locker room can handle a couple talented me guys. And... We also don't know all the sides of the story. Never liked Ebron as a person, but's it's a business....

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A strong locker room can handle a couple talented me guys. And... We also don't know all the sides of the story. Never liked Ebron as a person, but's it's a business....

I agree, it's a  business.  I also agree about the locker room, although as I have said before, in today's NFL with the money these guys are making, the locker room really isn't the factor it was in the past.  I think we will be just fine with the TE's we have.  Going to be a very exciting season for us, if we have a season?

30 minutes ago, ar7 said:

1) The first round is not the only place to draft # 1 receivers or left tackles. It is the place you most likely get a QB though. You can believe that it takes a first round pick to address #1 receiver and left tackle. That's fine.

2) I didn't say the Buckner deal wasn't understandable.  

3) I thought they might have a shot to address left tackle as one might slip to 34. They went in round 1 though.

4) Yes, Pittman might turn out to be a number one receiver.  We will have to wait and see. I think he projects more as a good number 2. Obviously the Colts staff really like him though and that's what matters.

Of coarse you can find a # 1 WR or a good LT after round 1. My point was that after trading our pick 13 , it made it difficult to select a WR that you could say "filled the need for a #1 WR. "  Same for LT . My feeling is that once we traded 13 , we were not going to get a sure fire #1 WR or LT.  

BTW... Castonzo signed a 2 year deal and will probably play in 2021 as he will only be 33. That's not really that old for a LT.  I understand you saying we need a franchise QB and WR now but seems to me we really didn't need to add a stud LT in this draft. Now if you said we didn't any any depth at the T position (maybe that's what you meant ?) , I totally agree. We missed there but I'm sure that's just how Ballard's board fell. I was hoping for a T from the 3rd round on . 

Maybe you'll get a huge surprise and Eason will be a stud in a couple of years ?

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Thank you sir. Just read up on him. Stats are meh, but looked at his bio

https://hailstate.com/sports/football/roster/farrod-green/5340

MSU's passing game was awful (2 dif QBs, no WR over 500 yards) last year, so perhaps he's got more to his game then MSU could give him.

Not impressed though with our overall effort to score a legit TE. At this point, I wish we had kept Ebron.

You might have what you're looking for already on the roster. Burton was looking like a stud when the Bears gave him a huge contract (4 years 32 mill , 20 mill guaranteed)  a couple years ago. He was injured and never really got healthy. He claims he was misdiagnosed and brought back too quickly. Believe it or not and I'm only going by what I read , he was a very effective blocker in addition to being a good receiver . He's only 28 years old. 

IMO , this could be a really "sneaky" good signing. This is from an article I happened on....

"Burton felt blessed the Colts were one of the first teams to call his agent after the Bears let him go. Not only because of his history with Frank Reich -- his former offensive coordinator in Philadelphia -- but because he knows he's coming to a team with a coach and quarterback who "love tight ends."  

32 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I agree, it's a  business.  I also agree about the locker room, although as I have said before, in today's NFL with the money these guys are making, the locker room really isn't the factor it was in the past.  I think we will be just fine with the TE's we have.  Going to be a very exciting season for us, if we have a season?

I think a well rounded locker room needs all types. Strong leaders, quiet followers, humble guys, swag guys, etc.. In these days, most players and coaches say the right thing, while being human when the mic is off.

18 minutes ago, dw49 said:

You might have what you're looking for already on the roster. Burton was looking like a stud when the Bears gave him a huge contract (4 years 32 mill , 20 mill guaranteed)  a couple years ago. He was injured and never really got healthy. He claims he was misdiagnosed and brought back too quickly. Believe it or not and I'm only going by what I read , he was a very effective blocker in addition to being a good receiver . He's only 28 years old. 

IMO , this could be a really "sneaky" good signing. This is from an article I happened on....

"Burton felt blessed the Colts were one of the first teams to call his agent after the Bears let him go. Not only because of his history with Frank Reich -- his former offensive coordinator in Philadelphia -- but because he knows he's coming to a team with a coach and quarterback who "love tight ends."  

I like Burton, but he's more H-back or bully slot than TE. He's only 6-2 so not going to be a RZ monster like Ebron or other big time tight ends are. He's closer to Pascal than Ebron. He can be a nice weapon if used correctly, but I don't see him as a RZ threat like I had hoped for.

Have any of you guys watched the zoom interviews with the scouts from yesterday after the draft. Some cool insights of why players were taken. One thing caught my mind was one of them talking about taking a junior QB in the draft. Sounds to me they would never draft a junior high unless it’s one of the very rare ones like a Lawrence. I bet they had a 3rd or 4th round grade on Love also. It’s worth a listen.

Maybe not any home runs, but Pittman and Taylor were both solid, line-drive doubles off the left field fence. The rest are pretty much unknown quantities at the moment, but I'm intrigued by Rodgers' speed and elusiveness, and what he might contribute in the return game. As ol' Al Davis used to say, "You can't teach speed."

9 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Maybe not any home runs, but Pittman and Taylor were both solid, line-drive doubles off the left field fence. The rest are pretty much unknown quantities at the moment, but I'm intrigued by Rodgers' speed and elusiveness, and what he might contribute in the return game. As ol' Al Davis used to say, "You can't teach speed."

I think the player who is not getting much attention is Dezmon Patmon WR 6'4" 225 lbs.

If you look at his tape you will see some pretty good things. 

You expect Pittman to be great but Patmon may very well be a nice sleeper pick. 

Quick snap grade.

I like this draft better than I did the 2019 draft. Last year it seemed like we drafted a lot of projects. This year we drafted 3 guys (Pittman, Taylor, and Blackmon) who should all contribute immediately. Eason could be the future at QB too so we’ll see.

I also think that this class has a good chance of having all of the picks make the final 53 as well.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, Rally5 said:

I have no issue with you liking Eason but kindly the Drew Brees comparo is pretty far off.  I've watched his games in there entirety.  A better comparison would be Joe Flacco.  Throws a great deep ball, fantastic actually, tall but not necessarily athletic, and not overly accurate yet improving (Georgia v Washington). He's not a natural leader (I live near UGA so I saw that first hand) and a bit immature.  He has a gun, if you made a physical cut out of an NFL QB, he is it.  He has a long, long way to go and frankly he needs to make the team before anointed 'the future'.  There's an outside chance he doesn't make the cut depending on how he performs in camp.  We currently have 4 real QB's on the roster, this position will be interesting to follow. 

PS. Did anyone notice Frank didn't mention Jacoby in the presser, I think only Ballard did...just seemed a little odd to me, could be reading too much into it.

The Brees comparison was simply on throwing motion (such ease), tight spiral & on the money (deep ball).  Nothing more, nothing less.  The entire Ballard comment about slowing our roll to me is not for us fans but for Jacob Eason himself.  He doesn't need for his young gunslinger to get a big head and now the writing is on the wall that he must earn his success.  I'm not a qb guru scout to really know how this kids game will transfer to the NFL but I had him as the #1 qb in this draft.  I know, "seriously" and yes.

PS.  I said many times that having JB on this team in 2020, just slows the learning curve for Eason.  I honestly dont see JB on the roster much longer but we all shall see soon enough.

22 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

i dont see any game changers there

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

PS.  I said many times that having JB on this team in 2020, just slows the learning curve for Eason.  I honestly dont see JB on the roster much longer but we all shall see soon enough.

Just how many times did you say Brissett slows down the learning curve for Eason in 2020 when Eason has only been drafted a few days? 

Somehow that makes no sense. 

Brissett may stay on the roster into training camp, when someones starter or backup gets hurt  that team may come calling and offer up a 7th rounder for Brissett. But I still predict one way or another Brissett will not be on the roster come week 1.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, BProland85 said:

Overall Ballard brought in some very good players.

We still need a longterm starter at CB opposite Rock, a longterm TE, and a quality backup OT. 

Not just a backup OT but one that can start at least next year and hopefully not this year. 

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just how many times did you say Brissett slows down the learning curve for Eason in 2020 when Eason has only been drafted a few days? 

Somehow that makes no sense. 

Said it to myself 500 times, to friends 100 and at least once here lol, I guess I failed to mention that!  Cheers Crazy1!

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Did we hit a home run?

Not out of the park.  I'd say a long double which could turn into a triple and an outside chance at an inside the park HR.  

We not only hit a home run, but a GRAND SLAM!  Pittman Jr and Taylor alone are 1st rd grades that we got in the 2nd, everyone else there is Mastercard!  Eason can easily be the best qb in this draft and we got him in the 4th compared to 1st and 2nd!  If Eason works out to be a future Probowler then this draft goes from a GRAND SLAM to a walk off GRAND SLAM!

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

Anybody else find it interesting that the Patriots did not draft a QB in this draft?  They only have two on the roster in Stidham & Hoyer, which makes it even more interesting if they will come calling for Brissett?  

I think you are thinking too much. :D

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

We not only hit a home run, but a GRAND SLAM!  Pittman Jr and Taylor alone are 1st rd grades that we got in the 2nd, everyone else there is Mastercard!  Eason can easily be the best qb in this draft and we got him in the 4th compared to 1st and 2nd!  If Eason works out to be a future Probowler then this draft goes from a GRAND SLAM to a walk off GRAND SLAM!

I don't think that statement is accurate.  There is a chance, but it is far from "easy".  

Too soon to call this a home run.   It looks pretty darn good though.  

Archived