Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did we hit a homerun in the draft?

Thunderbolt

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this was a great draft 

In the days of Peyton we never really had a RB that can get the yards in poor weather or poor field conditions

In the days of Peyton we never really had the big WR that catches everything that you need in these same poor conditions that seem to happen every January

Taylor is EXACTLY that Type of RB that can put the game away. The kid doesn’t go down easy.  As an Ohio State fan, I would hold my breath every time he touched the ball. 

He gained 2000 yards....  he gained those yards against an 8 man box. You KNEW he was getting the ball.

Last year, by the end of the year, we didn’t have the WRs and quite honestly the QB to exploit the box.....

I think we do this year. 

Pittman is that big bully WR that this team has needed

Pittman also blocks like a guard on running plays

We picked him up later, but Patmon is a steal.

I watched a lot of WSU tape, and this kid stood out.

Blackmon looks to be a good pickup as well

Eason is a swing at the plate to get a franchise QB. I hope he is a  “hit” in the future

If Phillip Rivers has a little more in the tank I think we be top 3 team in AFC

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Eason was the qb I wanted in the 2nd but even more excited to get him in the 4th.  Nobody is calling him the future because we all know he will have to sit a yr or two to learn at this level.  We Colts fans are all SPOILED as the last 20 yrs had a qb that could step in from day 1 and be ELITE.  I ask you this, what about him do you not like?  Have you watched his highlight vids and what did you come away with?  I liked what I seen and if given time to learn, I cant help but see a Drew Brees type player!  Maybe that's just me and many here can't imagine anything else than a bust but maybe that's because we as fans are not used to a project qb??  Sorry, a Manning or Luck is not walking thru this door anytime soon and we should not worry about the backup position!

I have no issue with you liking Eason but kindly the Drew Brees comparo is pretty far off.  I've watched his games in there entirety.  A better comparison would be Joe Flacco.  Throws a great deep ball, fantastic actually, tall but not necessarily athletic, and not overly accurate yet improving (Georgia v Washington). He's not a natural leader (I live near UGA so I saw that first hand) and a bit immature.  He has a gun, if you made a physical cut out of an NFL QB, he is it.  He has a long, long way to go and frankly he needs to make the team before anointed 'the future'.  There's an outside chance he doesn't make the cut depending on how he performs in camp.  We currently have 4 real QB's on the roster, this position will be interesting to follow. 

PS. Did anyone notice Frank didn't mention Jacoby in the presser, I think only Ballard did...just seemed a little odd to me, could be reading too much into it.

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

PS. Did anyone notice Frank didn't mention Jacoby in the presser, I think only Ballard did...just seemed a little odd to me, could be reading too much into it.

I heard Frank say that Eason would compete with Kelly. The implication is that Jacoby is locked in at #2. 

As a former Bolts fan, I think it will be good for Rivers to have some competition for next year’s starting job. He’s actually never had a rookie come in to challenge him. 

15 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I know the term applies to another sport, but heck I think Ballard did a great job filling the needed positions.  WRs, RBs and the future signal caller.

Your thoughts comrades?

Can I give you an answer in 2 years?  That seems the best time to know if a draft was successful.

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This was a very good draft.  If Eason is given a fair chance and ends up being the franchise it will be a home run. 

What does "if given a fair chance" even mean?  Do you think they are not going to give him practice reps, film study and practice reps?

i dont think chad got a fair chance to start last year

jacoby was terrible and should have been benched in new Orleans but he wasnt.  if chad cant beat that then what do they see in him at all?  i think they made him sit out last year no matter what happened on the field 

10 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

Mack is just lke Taylor IMO. Size, speed, burst. Clones. Wilkens, who has averaged 5.8 yards per carry, is now pitched to the curb. 

Taylor is very good, but redundant.

I find very little to be similar about those 2 RB's. Also, who says that Wilkens is pitched to the curb?

10 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I may also be the only person on the planet who is correct....lol

Gotta give you cred, that is the most arrogant post I have ever seen.....and I have seen a lot of them. 

I hate grading drafts this early on when nobody has put on pads, or even a jersey and helmet and no pads for that matter.  But in this "now now NOW" era that we all live in, I suppose it comes with the territory.  So from my perspective, as we sit here today, I would say it's a ground rule double.  Not a homerun, but still pretty damned good.  

With that said, I was not a fan of the Darius Leonard pick.  I WAS a big fan of the Quenton Nelson pick.  So I have no idea really how it will turn out.

One thing I think is a little bit unfair though, and it's really Ballard's fault (although it's a good thing), people will constantly compare that awesome 2018 draft to every other draft.  It's not only unfair, it's unrealistic.  What he pulled off in that draft was generational.  The likelihood that we see another draft like that one is very slim IMHO.  It was just "one of those" and I doubt we see that again for some time.

Going into the draft the Colts had three long-term needs. I was hoping they would be able to fill one of them. (unrealistic to expect them to fill more than one) The long-term needs are:

1. Franchise QB

2. Left Tackle

3. Number 1 receiver

Once they traded the 13th pick for Buckner that told me they did not view the QBs in this draft as being franchise QBs. (at least the QBs they could realistically draft or trade up for) And no I don't expect Eason to become a franchise QB. Those types of QBs get drafted in the first round. Over the last 20 years the only exceptions have been Brady and shorter QBs. (Brees and Wilson) Eason has all of the physical tools and size to be a first round pick. The fact that he lasted until the 4th round makes me doubt his work ethic and potential as a pro. 

There were several tackles drafted in the first round. I'm not going to say that they should have drafted a tackle in round two because I'm not sure the ones available will turn out to be quality left tackles.

The Colts did select Pittman at 34. He seems projected as more likely to be a good #2 or #3 receiver and not a #1 though. We will see if those projections become reality. I know many are rightfully concerned about the short-term wide receiver depth but I'm more concerned about who the #1 is. As much as I love TY Hilton we shouldn't count on him producing as a #1 receiver for much longer. I like Pittman as a prospect but I'm just not sure he will turn out to be a #1 receiver.

Some will argue that Pittman will/can turn out to be a good #1 receiver. Time will tell on that. 

As of right now I don't think the Colts filled one of the above 3 long-term needs. That is disappointing but it doesn't mean this will turn out to be a bad draft.

12 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I liked trading #13 for Buckner. I like Pittman. I think Taylor would have been a great pick for another team but not so much for the Colts.

Mack is just lke Taylor IMO. Size, speed, burst. Clones. Wilkens, who has averaged 5.8 yards per carry, is now pitched to the curb. 

Taylor has nearly 20 pounds on Mack, and is an inch shorter. 

Taylor is closer in weight to Derrick Henry than he is to Mack. 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think chad got a fair chance to start last year

jacoby was terrible and should have been benched in new Orleans but he wasnt.  if chad cant beat that then what do they see in him at all?  i think they made him sit out last year no matter what happened on the field 

Did you ever think that Kelly didn't impress the coaching staff enough to advance past a 3rd string emergency QB?

13 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I liked trading #13 for Buckner. I like Pittman. I think Taylor would have been a great pick for another team but not so much for the Colts.

yeah um JT was in competition with Saquon when it came to being the best RB in CFB for the past 2 years.  He also had a VERY good line at Wisconsin which he’ll have here also.  No comparison at all. 

8 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Clark played much better last season.  Not all pro by any means, but he wasn't embarrassing himself out there.  And there will be plenty of guys available at cut down days we can find depth

Clark played zero snaps at OT in 2019

3 hours ago, ar7 said:

Going into the draft the Colts had three long-term needs. I was hoping they would be able to fill one of them. (unrealistic to expect them to fill more than one) The long-term needs are:

1. Franchise QB

2. Left Tackle

3. Number 1 receiver

Once they traded the 13th pick for Buckner that told me they did not view the QBs in this draft as being franchise QBs. (at least the QBs they could realistically draft or trade up for) And no I don't expect Eason to become a franchise QB. Those types of QBs get drafted in the first round. Over the last 20 years the only exceptions have been Brady and shorter QBs. (Brees and Wilson) Eason has all of the physical tools and size to be a first round pick. The fact that he lasted until the 4th round makes me doubt his work ethic and potential as a pro. 

There were several tackles drafted in the first round. I'm not going to say that they should have drafted a tackle in round two because I'm not sure the ones available will turn out to be quality left tackles.

The Colts did select Pittman at 34. He seems projected as more likely to be a good #2 or #3 receiver and not a #1 though. We will see if those projections become reality. I know many are rightfully concerned about the short-term wide receiver depth but I'm more concerned about who the #1 is. As much as I love TY Hilton we shouldn't count on him producing as a #1 receiver for much longer. I like Pittman as a prospect but I'm just not sure he will turn out to be a #1 receiver.

Some will argue that Pittman will/can turn out to be a good #1 receiver. Time will tell on that. 

As of right now I don't think the Colts filled one of the above 3 long-term needs. That is disappointing but it doesn't mean this will turn out to be a bad draft.

I think Love would of lasted a long time too Packers hadn’t reached. I think in this draft QB that are projects just fell. A couple reasons for that. The NFL is over saturated with QB. Look how many FA QB were on the market. Teams got bridge QB so they could go get other positions to make their teams better. Eason has played very few games. He has all the tools. Watching some videos it seems like he has a little Rivers fire and competitiveness to him.  We will find out if he has the IQ to pick things up and wants to work hard. I think he would of went higher if there hadn’t been so many QB on the FA market. I have a good feeling. The question is will he get the chance.  I hope that they give him a fair shot if he comes in and works hard. Has me a little worried with no offseason in person work that it will put him behind the 8 ball because they won’t see as much of him.  Reich said they expect Pittman to be the go to guy so I think that means the one. Him and Parris hopefully will be the future one and two.

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its possible but not what i believe 

Believe it or not the GM and all the coaches want to win just as much as the fans do. If they thought Kelly would have given the team a chance at winning he would have been played. There was no conspiracy to not play him all season.

Kelly was on the active roster and not once was used over an injured Brissett. Matter of fact Kelly never stepped ahead of Hoyer on the depth chart. 

Just maybe Kelly is not as good as some think when all that was seen of him was a pre season game against 3rd and 4th string players with a few of them that didn't even make a NFL roster. 

Just food for thought. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Believe it or not the GM and all the coaches want to win just as much as the fans do. If they thought Kelly would have given the team a chance at winning he would have been played. There was no conspiracy to not play him all season.

Kelly was on the active roster and not once was used over an injured Brissett. Matter of fact Kelly never stepped ahead of Hoyer on the depth chart. 

Just maybe Kelly is not as good as some think when all that was seen of him was a pre season game against 3rd and 4th string players with a few of them that didn't even make a NFL roster. 

Just food for thought. 

ok but now you should consider what i said.  i think they wanted to sit him a year and prove he can stay out of trouble, and never really got a chance to compete with jacoby in the mean time 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

ok but now you should consider what i said.  i think they wanted to sit him a year and prove he can stay out of trouble, and never really got a chance to compete with jacoby in the mean time 

So you think I should believe the Colts kept Kelly on the bench to make a point rather than getting a chance to win? 

Somehow I find that hard to believe when winning is everything in the NFL. One win can be the difference of making or not making the playoffs. 

Sorry, just can't.  We will just have to disagree on how Kelly was handled. 

Ballard just said it is between Kelly and Eason to battle for the 3rd spot. We wait now. 

4 hours ago, ar7 said:

1. Franchise QB

2. Left Tackle

3. Number 1 receiver

The Colts desperately needed an impact defensive lineman. They got one of the best for pick 13 and he just turned 26 ... so a pretty understandable deal ... no ? 

So now you have the 2 picks in the 2nd , a 3rd , 4th , 5th and 2 6th's. How in God's name are you going to address those 3 "needs" you have. The franchise QB was impossible. To get a sure thing LT or No 1 WR would have taken the majority of our draft capital. We could have traded our 2 seconds to get to 16 and taken DD Lamb ? I would much rather have Taylor and Pittman.  Also I would say Pittman has a chance to be a "poor man's No 1." Certainly his ceiling is not a good 2 or even 3.

Do you have a scenario that you could have even for sure secured 1 of those 3 without gutting our whole draft ? 

18 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

didnt need a project qb if we are going for it all this season, too many other needs that could help this season win it all

Eason has as much potential  as love or any one else. If he does develop  into a starter I'd love to see a tyreek hill type  wr paired with that big arm of his. Would be a defensive coordinators nightmare. 

Archived