Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver Wasn't The Best Choice

FairleySuhper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People talking about Denvers Oline mustve forgotten about Ryan Clady and he was pretty good when Cutler was there you a REAL qb.

The only real weakness of the Broncos oline is the center. The rest of the guys are above average with Clady being top 5 at his position.

The only oline in the league that has studs at every position is the pats and I dont remember them being in the Manning sweepstakes. Every other team has a weak link or two

The only real weakness of the Broncos oline is the center. The rest of the guys are above average with Clady being top 5 at his position.

The only oline in the league that has studs at every position is the pats and I dont remember them being in the Manning sweepstakes. Every other team has a weak link or two

Center Jeff Saturday will get reunited with #18, now probably #16, & provide Peyton with all the protection he needs at the O-line just like old times & a familiar & comfortable security blanket on the field.

Home: Chargers, Chiefs, Raiders, Ravens, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers, Texans

Road: Chargers, Chiefs, Raider, Browns, Steelers, Saints, Bucs, Patriots

Only 7 PLAYOFF TEAMS from last year :).

If he makes the playoffs with this schedule, props to him.

NFL network says its 2nd toughest sched

You really think two grown men would say "Hey! I got the AFC so you take the NFC and we won't ever change...."

Really?

Uhh, yeah. Why do you think Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers in the first place?

Seeing as how we didn't get to look at any of these teams as in-depth as did Peyton, nor do we have the combined understanding of the game that he has in one finger, I have a hard time believing that we know which team was the best fit for him.

Besides, Denver has a crap ton of cap space and can build around him quickly. A young, but improving defense that will now get to play with the lead, two young emerging WR's that did well with Tebow : the worst passer in football - and an excellent, flexible offensive coordinator.

The 49ers may have seemed like the best on paper (and I wanted him there, being a fan of that team), but they will undoubtedly take a step back this year. Now that opponents will have a year's worth of film on Harbaugh's style, he won't be able to surprise anyone anymore.

This way, Manning gets to stay in the AFC and hopefully get to a Manning Bowl, and the Broncos can spend picks on trench players, young HB's, and maybe his eventual replacement.

As much as I wanted Peyton on the 49ers, I think Denver was the second best fit. They have a weakness on the line at center, guess who is going to fill that void? They need a veteran TE, guess who is going to fill that void? They have a great pass rushing D, clearly last year they had to play a different style of D with Tebow. They couldn't pin their ears back and tell Dumervill, Ayers, and Miller happy hunting. With manning, that pass rush will be ferocious! Fox is letting Manning control the Offense, and he and del rio will concentrate on D! They have 30+ million of cap room, to get other pieces. Like many have said Elway and manning will be able to talk through all scenarios. 49ers were a great fit from the eye test and on paper, but Harbaugh told Manning he wouldn't have full reign over the offense... That was probably a deal breaker for Peyton.

Agree, that Broncs team is built for the future, not for an immediate run for the SB like the 49ers. I think he made the wrong choice, but lets see how he ends up.

Its not just the team. Its about freedom as well.

Not sure how much leverage Peyton would have had with Jim Harbaugh. And i also find Jim a bit abnoxious. Remember that incident with Lion's coach.

There could be several factors. And Eli is one of them.

And for Peyton's personality its control and freedom which precedes anything. He is not going to sit and listen to someone when he doesnt agree.

Because his dad didn't like the Chargers.

I know what the media story was, but we don't know what went on behind the scenes. I suspect that the conference issue factored into it. Perhaps the presence of Drew Brees as well, and the fact that the Chargers GM is a temper-mental control freak. They might have also been concerned with Eli's laid back personality being in CA - a zillion miles from any family influence. I don't buy into the thought that "his Daddy" simply didn't want him to go the Chargers because they were perpetual losers. If that was the case, why didn't he say a peep when Peyton went to the Colts?

I know what the media story was, but we don't know what went on behind the scenes. I suspect that the conference issue factored into it. Perhaps the presence of Drew Brees as well, and the fact that the Chargers GM is a temper-mental control freak. They might have also been concerned with Eli's laid back personality being in CA - a zillion miles from any family influence. I don't buy into the thought that "his Daddy" simply didn't want him to go the Chargers because they were perpetual losers. If that was the case, why didn't he say a peep when Peyton went to the Colts?

I don't buy into "his daddy" any more than the "not in the same conference" thing.

It is possible that either or both are true and my comment was more sarcastic than factual but it just didn't seem would be a factor in the decision that would affect their future and professional career.

He wouldn't have freedom over the offense in San Fran. Too much pressure - anything less than superbowl in year one would be seen as failure, even though he's looking to play for 4-5 years. He probably felt a better connection to their front office. NFC is a tougher battle. He knows the AFC better. Broncos have more cap room to bring in others.

all of these reasons.

If I have 1 more person tell me how the 49ers were Superbowl contenders, I will go insane with hysterical laughter. Randy Moss is a head case, Crabtree is a WR bust, their special teams is woofully inadequate, their quaterback is a game manager at best, & their head coach still blames zebras for bad calls during the NFC Championship Game. Very sad, petty, & immature. Jim Harbaugh is way too overrated in my estimation. Who cares what he did at Stanford?!! I could care less. Getting to the NFC Championship Game is admirable, but close only counts in horseshoes & hand gernades okay.

Denver has 2 very good pass rushers in Elvis Dumervil & Robert Ayers, a division winning/Superbowl appearing head coach in John Fox, quality free agents will line up to play with the Hall of Fame QB Peyton Manning, Jack Del Rio as their Defensive Coordinator, & a VP Of Football Operations that knows how to surround a veteran QB like Manning with weapons on both sides of the line of scrimmage in order to win. A perfect fit for Peyton in my opinion.

Well, San Fran came closer than Denver. San Fran's defense is way better than Denver's in my opinion. They have guys like Bowman, Willis, and the two Smiths. Their O-line is young and talented. They can run the ball well. Denver is a decent fit, but San Fran would have been perfect if you ask me

Brees was awful before Rivers got there, he helped earn that #1 overall pick. That would be like saying Luck doesnt want to come to Indy because Painter is here

For a myriad of reasons. Don't have great WR's. Old running game. Average defense. Questionable pass blocking

O-line.

I honestly don't see what was so appealing to Peyton when you really stack the other teams against the Broncos.

I don't even think they'll win that division this year.

Other factors could have entered into his calculations. It is estimated that if he had signed with the 49ers, he would have had to pay on a yearly average basis $8.9 million in tax, as opposed to $4 million in Colorado. Businesses in general are fleeing California.

Awwwww I was gonna say that! It makes this forum look bad that we talk about Rob Lowe so much and never Sheen.

After I posted that I thought aww that sounds like something Ruk would say. haha Been hanging around you too long I guess.

For a myriad of reasons. Don't have great WR's. Old running game. Average defense. Questionable pass blocking

O-line.

I honestly don't see what was so appealing to Peyton when you really stack the other teams against the Broncos.

I don't even think they'll win that division this year.

They can address some of the above issues in the upcoming draft and elsewhere. We will see whether it was right choice, or wrong one in due time.

If I have 1 more person tell me how the 49ers were Superbowl contenders, I will go insane with hysterical laughter. Randy Moss is a head case, Crabtree is a WR bust, their special teams is woofully inadequate, their quaterback is a game manager at best, & their head coach still blames zebras for bad calls during the NFC Championship Game. Very sad, petty, & immature. Jim Harbaugh is way too overrated in my estimation. Who cares what he did at Stanford?!! I could care less. Getting to the NFC Championship Game is admirable, but close only counts in horseshoes & hand gernades okay.

Denver has 2 very good pass rushers in Elvis Dumervil & Robert Ayers, a division winning/Superbowl appearing head coach in John Fox, quality free agents will line up to play with the Hall of Fame QB Peyton Manning, Jack Del Rio as their Defensive Coordinator, & a VP Of Football Operations that knows how to surround a veteran QB like Manning with weapons on both sides of the line of scrimmage in order to win. A perfect fit for Peyton in my opinion.

Well, San Fran came closer than Denver. San Fran's defense is way better than Denver's in my opinion. They have guys like Bowman, Willis, and the two Smiths. Their O-line is young and talented. They can run the ball well. Denver is a decent fit, but San Fran would have been perfect if you ask me

Look 21isSuperman, I do like you, your analysis is almost always spot on, & your NFL agent player contract skills are legendary....All kidding aside, I honestly can't argue with any of the cogent points you made. The 49er Defense is stout, their LB's are very impressive, Randy Moss seems highly motivated to win, & Jim Harbaugh is a very good coach. Peyton Manning could have easily won a ring in CA maybe more than 1 even.

What sold me on Denver & took me over the top was the experience of John Fox & John Elway. 2 seasoned NFL veterans that know how to grind, bleed, sweat, & win Championships.

Look 21isSuperman, I do like you, your analysis is almost always spot on, & your NFL agent player contract skills are legendary ....All kidding aside, I honestly can't argue with any of the cogent points you made. The 49er Defense is stout, their LB's are very impressive, Randy Moss seems highly motivated to win, & Jim Harbaugh is a very good coach. Peyton Manning could have easily won a ring in CA maybe more than 1 even.

What sold me on Denver & took me over the top was the experience of John Fox & John Elway. 2 seasoned NFL veterans that know how to grind, bleed, sweat, & win Championships.

lmao at that first sentence. What you've said is correct though (about the teams, not me). Elway and Fox do have the experience, and I do like Fox as a head coach. However, I'm not sold on the Broncos secondary. While Dawkins and Bailey do have plenty of experience, they are getting up there in age and are losing some of their physical abilities. However, with that said, I'm going to wait and see what they do in the draft and FA before making my final judgement. It's possible they have a very strong draft to fix up whatever holes they have. They have wicked pass rushers in Miller and Dumervil and a solid O-line with Clady, Franklin, and Beadles. They were also the best rushing team in the NFL last year. We know Peyton can turn good receivers into great ones, so getting some WR help would be good, but not a huge deal. To me, the issue falls on their secondary.

lmao at that first sentence. What you've said is correct though (about the teams, not me). Elway and Fox do have the experience, and I do like Fox as a head coach. However, I'm not sold on the Broncos secondary. While Dawkins and Bailey do have plenty of experience, they are getting up there in age and are losing some of their physical abilities. However, with that said, I'm going to wait and see what they do in the draft and FA before making my final judgement. It's possible they have a very strong draft to fix up whatever holes they have. They have wicked pass rushers in Miller and Dumervil and a solid O-line with Clady, Franklin, and Beadles. They were also the best rushing team in the NFL last year. We know Peyton can turn good receivers into great ones, so getting some WR help would be good, but not a huge deal. To me, the issue falls on their secondary.

Dawkins is 38, which is just nuts for a DB. Hopefully Bailey has something left in the tank. They did sign Tracy Porter and Mike Adams. I don't know much about them, but they certainly aren't in the same class. We'll see.

I'm kinda of assuming that he is going to turn their WR Thomas (1st round pick) into a star. He averaged 17.2 yards per reception playing with TEBOW. And don't forget about Moreno (1st round pick), who may get a lot more involved in the passing game - and will be rushing the ball without 11 men in the box! The Broncos have been lousy for awhile, and have young players / high draft picks who will be just starting to mature as Peyton comes along. I'm kind of glad that they didn't sign too many "old Colts", because Peyton with a team full of good young players will likely be a heck of a lot better, and continue to improve through the rest of his career (which Saturday, Clark, and Adaii most certainly would not).

Dawkins is 38, which is just nuts for a DB. Hopefully Bailey has something left in the tank. They did sign Tracy Porter and Mike Adams. I don't know much about them, but they certainly aren't in the same class. We'll see.

I'm kinda of assuming that he is going to turn their WR Thomas (1st round pick) into a star. He averaged 17.2 yards per reception playing with TEBOW. And don't forget about Moreno (1st round pick), who may get a lot more involved in the passing game - and will be rushing the ball without 11 men in the box! The Broncos have been lousy for awhile, and have young players / high draft picks who will be just starting to mature as Peyton comes along. I'm kind of glad that they didn't sign too many "old Colts", because Peyton with a team full of good young players will likely be a heck of a lot better, and continue to improve through the rest of his career (which Saturday, Clark, and Adaii most certainly would not).

I'm with you. I'm expecting big things from Thomas and Decker. If I remember right, Decker was doing really well playing with Orton