Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver Wasn't The Best Choice

FairleySuhper

For a myriad of reasons. Don't have great WR's. Old running game. Average defense. Questionable pass blocking

O-line.

I honestly don't see what was so appealing to Peyton when you really stack the other teams against the Broncos.

I don't even think they'll win that division this year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they have Elway. Peyton wants to be able to talk to someone who sees the game like he does.

Right because Montana and Young dont see the field like QBs ....

I seen a report earlier that said Manning said his head told him 49ers but his heart said Denver - not sure if thats accurate, but if so it was a pretty dumb choice. If he truly wanted to win another SB before he has to retire he should have chosen with his head not his heart. I guess maybe he was thinking since Elway walked off with 2 SBs at the end of his career that he could do it too ... and I think he could have - IF - he had chosen correctly.

Maybe others don't think he made the right choice but I'm sure he gave it a lot of thought and if he feels good with his decision then that's all that counts. He will do well where ever he goes. Would have like to see him go to the 49ers but I don't know how that would have worked out with Harbaugh because Peyton has always ran the offense and don't think he could have done that with the 49ers. JMO of course.

I never had a 2nd team to root for now I have Colts 1st Broncos 2nd Good Luck Peyton

Right because Montana and Young dont see the field like QBs ....

I seen a report earlier that said Manning said his head told him 49ers but his heart said Denver - not sure if thats accurate, but if so it was a pretty dumb choice. If he truly wanted to win another SB before he has to retire he should have chosen with his head not his heart. I guess maybe he was thinking since Elway walked off with 2 SBs at the end of his career that he could do it too ... and I think he could have - IF - he had chosen correctly.

Well time will tell.

Maybe others don't think he made the right choice but I'm sure he gave it a lot of thought and if he feels good with his decision then that's all that counts. He will do well where ever he goes. Would have like to see him go to the 49ers but I don't know how that would have worked out with Harbaugh because Peyton has always ran the offense and don't think he could have done that with the 49ers. JMO of course.

I never had a 2nd team to root for now I have Colts 1st Broncos 2nd Good Luck Peyton

The Jim Harbaugh control aspect of it seems valid. He seems like he could be a bit of a control freak.

The Jim Harbaugh control aspect of it seems valid. He seems like he could be a bit of a control freak.

Well as I said before I would have liked him to go to the 49ers but I also wondered about the Harbaugh/Mannng thing. Maybe that entered his mind also. Who knows and we will never know.

He wouldn't have freedom over the offense in San Fran. Too much pressure - anything less than superbowl in year one would be seen as failure, even though he's looking to play for 4-5 years. He probably felt a better connection to their front office. NFC is a tougher battle. He knows the AFC better. Broncos have more cap room to bring in others.

Well as I said before I would have liked him to go to the 49ers but I also wondered about the Harbaugh/Mannng thing. Maybe that entered his mind also. Who knows and we will never know.

I agree. But, I wonder if maybe the pressure of going to San Fran was something that weighed on Peyton's

mind? As in expecting to win it all 'right now'. I dunno. I'm honestly just frustrated that he went there because

I honestly don't think it was a good choice.

to be honest regarding the 49ers, they really only had one good year, last year, in recent memory, time will tell if the team can keep that up or will fade to be a 8-8 just like the Broncos . . . time will tell . . .

With the new additions they made, and if Peyton had signed with them, I would've picked them to win it

all this year. That's how confident I would've been. Quite simply, they are primed to win. Well, were. lol

I agree. But, I wonder if maybe the pressure of going to San Fran was something that weighed on Peyton's

mind? As in expecting to win it all 'right now'. I dunno. I'm honestly just frustrated that he went there because

I honestly don't think it was a good choice.

I wouldn't describe it as pressure so much as unrealistic expectations. The 49ers oline is nothing special and Peyton is a lot less mobile than Smith. Randy Moss is a head case, yet everyone would expect Peyton to put up numbers like Brady did with him. Harbaugh is a "rah rah" control freak who has an offensive style that may not be to Peytons advantage. Yet if Peyton went there ANYTHING less than a Super Bowl appearance would be considered a failure. I think that Denver makes a lot more sense for him, and I expect them to be ultimately at least as successful as the 49ers might have been.

I wouldn't describe it as pressure so much as unrealistic expectations. The 49ers oline is nothing special and Peyton is a lot less mobile than Smith. Randy Moss is a head case, yet everyone would expect Peyton to put up numbers like Brady did with him. Harbaugh is a "rah rah" control freak who has an offensive style that may not be to Peytons advantage. Yet if Peyton went there ANYTHING less than a Super Bowl appearance would be considered a failure. I think that Denver makes a lot more sense for him, and I expect them to be ultimately at least as successful as the 49ers might have been.

I don't think it's unrealistic at all. I think their O-line is pretty darn good. Alex Smith just isn't a very good QB

and that's why he has to scramble. But, the more I keep reading about this, it seems the biggest reason

Peyton signed with Denver is because of his relationship with John Elway. I wonder what happens to

that relationship when they start losing?

I think Peyton chose Denver because Elway told him that they will build the offense his way and allow him a great deal of autonomy in running it. He would not have had that assurance at any other team. Well, maybe the Titans, but of the two teams, Denver is better.

He has also been told, perhaps, that they will do their best to sign some players he wants with him, like Saturday and Clark.

The 49'ers also had the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL and played in a very offensively challenged division - look at the QB's they faced and it's easy to see how their defense could be a little overrated. And Harbaugh probably wouldn't have given Peyton the freedom that John Fox will.

I don't think it's unrealistic at all. I think their O-line is pretty darn good. Alex Smith just isn't a very good QB

and that's why he has to scramble. But, the more I keep reading about this, it seems the biggest reason

Peyton signed with Denver is because of his relationship with John Elway. I wonder what happens to

that relationship when they start losing?

As the process has worked through I've gone to each suitors forums to see what fans had to say. Each teams fans think that their offensive lines are horrendous. 49ers fans think that Smith had to scramble because of poor protection, and that he would have had a lot more sacks if he wasn't more mobile. Perhaps it's simply that all three are run oriented teams, and that few olines are adept at both run and pass blocking.

I'm not so confident that the 49ers would be a great fit. I'd bet that considering how far they went last year, they would ask Peyton to slide into their offense, and that may negate some of what makes Peyton special. If it takes him awhile to excel, they'll quickly have a poorer record than last year. Plus I'd be REALLY concerned about the relationships with Harbaugh and Moss. Frankly Harbaugh seems like a jerk, and I know that Moss is a jerk. The things that made Harbaugh fun to root for as a Colt seem to make him just obnoxious as a coach. That doesn't sound like Peyton's comfort zone.

The Titans management didn't even want Peyton until the owner made them. That hardly sounds like a flexible environment either. Elway knows exactly what Peyton needs, and is prepared to reinvent the offense to suit him. And he's running all football operations, I don't even know who has that responsibility in the other two cities. THAT'S where the relationship with Elway is important - not just because they happen to get along well.

For a myriad of reasons. Don't have great WR's. Old running game. Average defense. Questionable pass blocking

O-line.

I honestly don't see what was so appealing to Peyton when you really stack the other teams against the Broncos.

I don't even think they'll win that division this year.

Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas, FA receiver or draft (AJ Jenkins, Chris Givens, Joe Adams, Ryan Broyles) and possibly Dallas Clark are quality weapons, all of whom Manning will make great. Running game is solid with McGahee and Moreno. They'll likely get a RB (Polk, Martin) in the draft. That's a nice trio. Their defense is definitely not average - it's above average and will only get better. Without that D we would even be talking about Tebow time last year.

I agree that the o-line is not the best at pass blocking, then again.. Manning was Manning behind a often crappy Colts o-line, so he should be fine. At least they have a pro bowl LT in Ryan Clady and they are likely going to bring in Saturday who is an upgrade over Walton.

I think Peyton chose Denver because Elway told him that they will build the offense his way and allow him a great deal of autonomy in running it. He would not have had that assurance at any other team. Well, maybe the Titans, but of the two teams, Denver is better.

He has also been told, perhaps, that they will do their best to sign some players he wants with him, like Saturday and Clark.

All good points. Well, I disagree that Denver is better offensively than the Titans. Cook, Washington, Britt, and Johnson is a d_amn fine offense.

Demaryius, Thomas, Eric Decker, Julius Thomas, FA receiver or two (AJ Jenkins, Chris Givens, Joe Adams, Ryan Broyles) and possibly Dallas Clark are quality weapons, all of whom Manning will make great. Running game is solid with McGahee and Moreno. They'll likely get a RB (Polk, Martin) in the draft. That's a nice trio. Their defense is definitely not average - it's above average and will only get better. Without that D we would even be talking about Tebow time last year.

I agree that the o-line is not the best at pass blocking, then again.. Manning was Manning behind a often crappy Colts o-line, so he should be fine. At least they have a pro bowl LT in Ryan Clady and they are likely going to bring in Saturday who is an upgrade over Walton.

Moreno sucks, and Willis is old. And while I think that Thomas and Decker have potential, they are still

young and learning. Bringing in Dallas would be huge, and they should actually make that move. And that defense

is not really that good. Von Miller, Dumervil, and an old Champ Bailey. I watched that defense get shredded

last year more times than not. It's average in the grand scheme of things. Denver allowed four games of

40+ points last year. Not a good defense. And they were in the bottom half in terms of passing/running

I watched that defense get shredded last year more times than not. It's average in the grand scheme of things. Denver allowed four games of

40+ points last year. Not a good defense. And they were in the bottom half in terms of passing/running

When you don't have a QB things tend to spiral out of control. More interesting is the fact that every week when people asked "how the heck is Tebow winning?", the answer was that "the defense is keeping them in the game". I'm concerned with the age of the secondary, but they must be doing something right.

When you don't have a QB things tend to spiral out of control. More interesting is the fact that every week when people asked "how the heck is Tebow winning?", the answer was that "the defense is keeping them in the game". I'm concerned with the age of the secondary, but they must be doing something right.

And a lot of that came because of the div. they played in. Kansas City lost some of their best players

before the season even started. San Diego's O-line was non-existent last year. And the Raiders are always

a clusterfark. Miller and Dumervil kept them in games...but that doesn't mean that they're a good defense.

As the process has worked through I've gone to each suitors forums to see what fans had to say. Each teams fans think that their offensive lines are horrendous. 49ers fans think that Smith had to scramble because of poor protection, and that he would have had a lot more sacks if he wasn't more mobile. Perhaps it's simply that all three are run oriented teams, and that few olines are adept at both run and pass blocking.

I'm not so confident that the 49ers would be a great fit. I'd bet that considering how far they went last year, they would ask Peyton to slide into their offense, and that may negate some of what makes Peyton special. If it takes him awhile to excel, they'll quickly have a poorer record than last year. Plus I'd be REALLY concerned about the relationships with Harbaugh and Moss. Frankly Harbaugh seems like a jerk, and I know that Moss is a jerk. The things that made Harbaugh fun to root for as a Colt seem to make him just obnoxious as a coach. That doesn't sound like Peyton's comfort zone.

The Titans management didn't even want Peyton until the owner made them. That hardly sounds like a flexible environment either. Elway knows exactly what Peyton needs, and is prepared to reinvent the offense to suit him. And he's running all football operations, I don't even know who has that responsibility in the other two cities. THAT'S where the relationship with Elway is important - not just because they happen to get along well.

Good points. I still don't agree that San Fran's line is the problem. I've watched Smith enough to know

that the kid can't make the throws when he needs to. He's beyond inconsistent. Peyton would've given them

what they needed at the position to get to that next level. The only thing holding the Niners back last year

was Smith.

And a lot of that came because of the div. they played in. Kansas City lost some of their best players

before the season even started. San Diego's O-line was non-existent last year. And the Raiders are always

a clusterfark. Miller and Dumervil kept them in games...but that doesn't mean that they're a good defense.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, on the theory that "why would Peyton subject himself to that". Frankly I watched the Broncos as little as possible because I want to vomit every time I hear the word "Tebow".

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, on the theory that "why would Peyton subject himself to that". Frankly I watched the Broncos as little as possible because I want to vomit every time I hear the word "Tebow".

Well, now that I've calmed down a bit, I'm starting to see some of the points that people are making about

why he chose Denver. Peyton can't do anything about the defense. Maybe he believes they really will build

something there, but I, myself do not have that kind of faith. I will say that Dumervil and Miller are studs. Like, I have

a bit of a man-crush on Von because I think he's a great player already and he seems to be a very upstanding

young man. They knocked it out of the park when they selected him.

But, yeah, I watched a lot of their games last year (got the NFL ticket, so I watch most games). And, they

got absolutely shredded in quite a few games. They need a lot more if they plan on contending for a title. But

I honestly do not see them being contenders.

You people are smarter than I am on other teams because I have only followed the Colts But every team has players that are getting older and some are better than others and some have a better defense and some have better secondary's and offense but if any one team had it all the games wouldn't be fun to watch too one sided. I still think that Peyton would do well with any team he decided to play with because look at our defense and secondary and special teams and we still had winning seasons. I guess what I'm trying to say is you work with what you have and can sign and put together the best team you can. Hope I made sense after all this rambling if not sorry.

Thanks for listening to all my rambling.

I guess what I'm trying to say bottom line you won't have the perfect case secinero (sp) no matter what team you chose.

You people are smarter than I am on other teams because I have only followed the Colts But every team has players that are getting older and some are better than others and some have a better defense and some have better secondary's and offense but if any one team had it all the games wouldn't be fun to watch too one sided. I still think that Peyton would do well with any team he decided to play with because look at our defense and secondary and special teams and we still had winning seasons. I guess what I'm trying to say is you work with what you have and can sign and put together the best team you can. Hope I made sense after all this rambling if not sorry.

Thanks for listening to all my rambling.

I guess what I'm trying to say bottom line you won't have the perfect case secinero (sp) no matter what team you chose.

Makes perfect sense to me.

By the way, I wouldn't say "smarter" when "better informed" or something will do. Big difference. For instance I'm extremely well informed about how to fit the maximum amount of slurpee in a plastic cup, but I'm not entirely sure that that's a sign of intelligence. :P

Makes perfect sense to me.

By the way, I wouldn't say "smarter" when "better informed" or something will do. Big difference. For instance I'm extremely well informed about how to fit the maximum amount of slurpee in a plastic cup, but I'm not entirely sure that that's a sign of intelligence. :P

Thanks MAC

His best choice was San Fran. They were ready to win right now

Without question

If I have 1 more person tell me how the 49ers were Superbowl contenders, I will go insane with hysterical laughter. Randy Moss is a head case, Crabtree is a WR bust, their special teams is woofully inadequate, their quaterback is a game manager at best, & their head coach still blames zebras for bad calls during the NFC Championship Game. Very sad, petty, & immature. Jim Harbaugh is way too overrated in my estimation. Who cares what he did at Stanford?!! I could care less. Getting to the NFC Championship Game is admirable, but close only counts in horseshoes & hand gernades okay.

Denver has 2 very good pass rushers in Elvis Dumervil & Robert Ayers, a division winning/Superbowl appearing head coach in John Fox, quality free agents will line up to play with the Hall of Fame QB Peyton Manning, Jack Del Rio as their Defensive Coordinator, & a VP Of Football Operations that knows how to surround a veteran QB like Manning with weapons on both sides of the line of scrimmage in order to win. A perfect fit for Peyton in my opinion.

He made a alliance with Eli not to be on the same conference. For a AFC team, Denver is the best fit to win a superbowl.

You really think two grown men would say "Hey! I got the AFC so you take the NFC and we won't ever change...."

Really?

If I have 1 more person tell me how the 49ers were Superbowl contenders, I will go insane with hysterical laughter.

...close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades okay......AND nuclear weapons

The 49ers were Superbowl contenders....start the hysteria bubba.

But they have Elway. Peyton wants to be able to talk to someone who sees the game like he does.

you mean pass till his arm falls off?, but seriously I am happy for Peyton and the Broncos, I just thought Cardinals Dolphins and 49ers were a better fit or had a better chance of going for a superbowl immediately, eh Titans not so much they need to fill holes like another wide receiver and not to mention Finnegan a physical corner is gone

Really Peyton really? I hope you know something we don't cause this is/was the worst team out of the three to choose. O-lines a big question mark and the running back is old. They made no pick ups in free agency, and have a late round draft pick. Not to mention you better tell that dang players association, and agent you don't want all that money(95 over 5yrs) 60mil in 5 yrs will do. not saying your not worth it...

I hope u know something Peyton, cause to me it looks like your going to the old colts of the AFC west...

...close only counts in horseshoes & hand gernades okay... And nuclear weapons

The 49ers were Superbowl contenders....start the hysteria bubba.

Very funny line there Subvet about the nuclear weapons. It made me chuckle pretty hard!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Yes, you are right the 49ers got on the verge of the Superbowl, but we aren't talkin' about a surface to air long range missle here are we? With the Giants, Saints, Lions, & Packers in the NFC, I don't see the 49ers back in the Championship Game next year in my opinion.