Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard Supports Jacoby Brissett

BleedBlue4Shoe86

I know people will say that he is just being a good teammate.  I get that and it could very well be that.  I also know that from reports, Jacoby has always been very highly thought of in the locker room.  Darius specifically stated,

“I believe in Jacoby. And Jacoby is a pretty good quarterback and showed that early in the season when he had everyone healthy,” Leonard said. “You can look at any quarterback, and if your receivers go down, of course, your numbers are going to go down. . . . a lot of people don’t give [Brissett] enough credit to what type of quarterback he really is, they just see the numbers he put up at the end of the season, but they don’t see the numbers he did with the receivers he did. I don’t feel like the NFL, and people outside the NFL, give him enough respect.”

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, stitches said:

A player supports the current QB of his team.

News at 11. 

Yea, Leonard is gradually assuming a leadership role.  I like it.  He is doing what a team leader should.... stick up for “his” guys.

I’m sure, in some ways, he believes it too.  But he is also smart enuff to see the difference between JB, Luck, or one of the top QBs, that Leonard has faced.

If Ballard brings in a replacement, Leonard will have his back.

There is also the chance that Ballard, Reich, Leonard, etc know more than we do.  But, of course, some around here are smarter than our GM, coach, and GOD almighty himself.

I LOVE Leonard’s passion tho.  We need more of that.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Means little IMO, as he's not the GM, but does support my belief that bringing in someone else might cause a locker room divide (so they'd likely let JB go if they did).

Locker room divide..... thats funny.

You know what cures a locker room divide?  Or anything else for that matter?

WINNING

"I don’t feel like the NFL, and people outside the NFL, give him enough respect.” 

If people in the NFL and outside the NFL don't respect JB, then what does that tell you? That's basically all you need to know.

9 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

WINNING

Winning certainly helps. But cliques certainly happen, and loyalty sometimes creates disgruntled behavior. It's better to remove conditions that can create those situations in the first place. In this case, if you plan to sign a FA or draft a guy you see as the future, you remove potential issues before they happen.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Winning certainly helps. But cliques certainly happen, and loyalty sometimes creates disgruntled behavior. It's better to remove conditions that can create those situations in the first place. In this case, if you plan to sign a FA or draft a guy you see as the future, you remove potential issues before they happen.

I know what you mean, but these rosters turn so often now that guys are used to next man up.  They have short memories.

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I know what you mean, but these rosters turn so often now that guys are used to next man up.  They have short memories.

We don't know the inter-workings of the locker room, and who's BFFs with each other. If I had key players who were attached to JB, I'd remove JB from the equation (let the players be mad at the FO), so that the new guy or guys don't get caught up with the politics. I've had to do similar in business when replacing folks. Demoting is just a difficult thing. 

50 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We don't know the inter-workings of the locker room, and who's BFFs with each other. If I had key players who were attached to JB, I'd remove JB from the equation (let the players be mad at the FO), so that the new guy or guys don't get caught up with the politics. I've had to do similar in business when replacing folks. Demoting is just a difficult thing. 

I hear ya

I don't see anyone we could get our hands on in the draft without giving up too much and I think Jacoby is a serviceable quarterback who has one of the worst supporting casts in the league in terms of receivers. 

I say we keep drafting OL/DL, get in weapons, build the team forward and if he struggles again we move on next year. 

2 hours ago, rayski said:

I don't see anyone we could get our hands on in the draft without giving up too much and I think Jacoby is a serviceable quarterback who has one of the worst supporting casts in the league in terms of receivers. 

I say we keep drafting OL/DL, get in weapons, build the team forward and if he struggles again we move on next year. 

Don't you think we shall go for WR more than OL ? Ok Castonzo is a year to year deal, but we lack good WR's and TY isn't eternal. 
Ok Jacoby is better than we is said about him, but NFL is all about stats and JB is far from the tops QBs of the league. 
I wouldn't mind to draft a young QB. 

17 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

WINNING

And you know what leads to winning? A QB who can get the ball more than five yards downfield without overthrowing it or killing a few worms with it. 

2 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

And you know what leads to winning? A QB who can get the ball more than five yards downfield without overthrowing it or killing a few worms with it. 

You should really look what you are commenting on.  Your (obvious) statement doesn’t mesh with the actual issue we were talking about.  
  If i say blue, it doesnt mean i am describing the sky.

The issue was locker-room divide if JB isnt released. (Someone said locker-room would be divided cuz some players actually like the worm burners i guess.  It started with the Leonard comments.

Get with the program.  Maybe dont take so many cat naps.

I don't read too much into that.  I remember when Curtis Painter was set to take over for Manning the year he was injured and then the Colts signed Kerry Collins and someone asked Wayne about the signing and he went off saying Curtis painter was his QB and he didn't think people should just assume that Collins was going to get the starting job, etc. etc.

A good team mate supports his team mates.

11 hours ago, rayski said:

I agree with build them, but I say let Kelly lead this year.

On 3/4/2020 at 7:05 PM, will426 said:

Lowkey this is praise for JB but an insult to everyone behind Hilton lmao..least if I was a WR that’s how I’d take it could’ve worded it better but he’s Real I love Leonard 

eh not really.  When you strip away the guys who were literally never on the field, like Funchess, most of the guys we had were out there playing over their heads and they knew it.  Some guys like Pascal and Johnson managed to step up, others like Cain and Campbell didn't,  Either way they all know they're probably moving down in the depth chart after the offseason.  Because they were never supposed to be as high in the first place as they wound up having to be.

The only guy who really gets a shot across the bows from Leonard's comment is probably TY, and to be honest he deserves it.  He needs to get into a condition where he can stay on the field, and if he can't, he needs to move down on the depth chart himself in favor of someone who can.  

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

eh not really.  When you strip away the guys who were literally never on the field, like Funchess, most of the guys we had were out there playing over their heads and they knew it.  Some guys like Pascal and Johnson managed to step up, others like Cain and Campbell didn't,  Either way they all know they're probably moving down in the depth chart after the offseason.  Because they were never supposed to be as high in the first place as they wound up having to be.

The only guy who really gets a shot across the bows from Leonard's comment is probably TY, and to be honest he deserves it.  He needs to get into a condition where he can stay on the field, and if he can't, he needs to move down on the depth chart himself in favor of someone who can.  

There’s plenty of footage of some guys being wide open and JB missing them. I can agree that Drops were an issue with the receiving group as well though, but to me JB never would throw a receiver open  nor threw a ball that they could jump and contest for he literally stopped many attempts at Yac because of this. As for Hilton this is truly his first year ever being hurt in a consistent basis plus he rushed himself back other than that he’s been very available to us.

Leonard also said in a recent interview (I'm thinking probably the same one that excerpt is taken from) that as leader of the defense, he thinks defense should never allow other teams to outscore the Colts' offense.  

Like @WoolMagnet said, Leonard's becoming a leader of this team.  He's been leading by example on the field since day 1, but now he's starting to take a role in addressing the media.  TY's development was kind of similar, in that after a few years of proving he's a solid NFL player he'd tell the media he takes blame for losses because he should be leading the team and playing better.  Pretty sure that's all we can really glean from this interview - Leonard's just evolving as any good team captain as young as he is should do.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:49 PM, will426 said:

There’s plenty of footage of some guys being wide open and JB missing them.

you know what?  There's usually an open receiver on every single play every quarterback ever threw or didn't throw. 

I get that the point is that Brissett goes through his progression slowly.  But at the end of the day even the very best QB out there don't always see the open man. 

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

you know what?  There's usually an open receiver on every single play every quarterback ever threw or didn't throw. 

I get that the point is that Brissett goes through his progression slowly.  But at the end of the day even the very best QB out there don't always see the open man. 

JB just needs more time. He was basically a rookie, who was not emotionally ready to be the starter last season. He also sprained his MCL and missed almost 2 games. He’s a great leader and just needs more time to “develop.” 

Archived