Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Say the Chargers Beat the Pats in 06..

tucky89

They probably wouldnt have beaten the Chargers. Colt nation had a sigh of relief when the Patriots beat the Chargers. 

But, you could also argue, had the Colts beat the Steelers in 2005 they would have been in the SB. Or if they had beat the patriots in 2003 and 2004. I mean the what ifs are endless. 

For example: if the patriots weren't relevant like they were throughout the 2000s an argument could be made that the Colts could very much be the Dynasty of the 2000s. 

If the Colts draft Ryan Leaf, then the Colts wouldnt have been even close to as relevant as they were. 

• Like 2

I like the N "IF" L from the NFL network website but I don't think Damashek does them anymore.

I honestly think, and I hate to admit it, that the Chargers would have beaten the Colts in the AFCC that year and they probably would have beaten the Bears in the SB, assuming the NFC goes the same way.  Manning and the Colts struggled with the Chargers for a long time.   That said, Indy wouldn't have a SB....and maybe not Lucas Oil, as I believe that it was that SB and Manning that kept the Colts here and encouraged the construction of Lucas Oil.  The Colts could have found themselves in LA.   At that point, since the Chargers have the SB, there is more motivation to build a new stadium, update Qualcomm, or whatever they wanted to do.   The Colts are in LA and the Chargers stay in San Diego.   Maybe the Rams don't return, either.    All speculation, of course.  

On 1/11/2020 at 11:38 PM, tucky89 said:

And do you think we ultimately caught a huge break when New England beat them?

yes, i do think that

colts had the best team in 05 though, the rest of the league caught a break when the steleers beat them.  stuff like this happens all the time 

We go to San Diego for the AFC title game. They had our number at that time. Do you think we win? And do you think we ultimately caught a huge break when New England beat them?

we definitely caught a break when New england beat them.  The 06 Pats were the last gasp of the 04 Superbowl team, and the young management in NE had kept the band together 1 year too long.  It says something that Belichick finally reorganized the team in the wake of that loss and they follow up with one of the best seasons of football in human history.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:01 AM, jskinnz said:

Hi Alex,

I’ll take pointless threads for a $1000.

I'm sorry, you're on a forum for a football team that's been eliminated from play for the season, and the offseason hasn't started yet.  you realize that, right?

And you want relevance?  there are literally 0 threads that aren't either a pointless rehash of history or a pointless guess at the future.  There is no Colts news coming out until the offseason officially begins, so that's just what happens.

• Like 1

The 2006 team was better than the 2005 team, so people saying the 2005 team was better need to quit. The 2005 team had more blow out wins but in 2006 the addition of Adam Vinatieri alone made us a better team. We lose to Baltimore in the Divisional Round without Adam. We would've beat the Chargers IMO but getting the Pats at home was who I wanted because we were undefeated at home that season. I just wanted us to go through Tom and BB to win a SB so nobody could say we didn't play anyone to win our Championship. Some people already think we beat a weak team in the SB but we always have - look who we beat in the AFC Title Game. Had we beat the Chargers and Bears we wouldn't have that leg to stand on.

This thread kind of jogged my memory and it left me thinking that the team was kind of lucky to get their SB win and yet should have had 2 or 3.. 

It's hard to win SB's and it's even harder when the Patriots are there every other year.

I think as a fan I'm in the process of kind of decoupling the expectation that a SB was a possibility for the team going into seasons.

It's not right now and that's a big change. 

We go to San Diego for the AFC title game. They had our number at that time. Do you think we win? And do you think we ultimately caught a huge break when New England beat them?

are you having trouble sleeping or just trying to get Colts fans mad. at you