Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM's End of Season Press Conference

Dingus McGirt

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He did say he wanted AC back.  He did say Ebron is not coming back.  He did say he loves Pascal and Dulin.  He did say they will talk to Funchess about returning.  He did say DT3 is a big hole that needs filling.  He did not commit 100% to JB being his starter going forward as he would have with Luck.  I thought he said a lot.  Made me feel little more optimistic actually.

Most of those things are obvious and don't impact draft strategy all that much. Saying something about QB, if he planned to draft a QB early, would. Anyone shocked that he wants AC back? Anyone surprised he likes Pascal or Dulin (Dulin did a fantastic job as an UDFA). Everyone pretty much knew the Ebron's ship had sailed. The comment about Funch wasn't really strong either way, but not surprising they would talk to him. DT3 was a big hole last year too, and he didn't address then either, so not surprising it's still a hole.

Rules of Coach/GM speak....

1. Be as honest as possible on, and talk a bunch about, the no-brainer stuff

2. Don't mislead, but be vague on 1) any topic you are unsure of, 2) something that gives you a draft or competitive advantage, and 3) anything sensitive.

3. When talking performance, only positive about individuals, critical only of self, unit, or team.

Not being negative, just realistic. I'm 50ish and have watched years and years of these from the Colts, Pacers, ND, etc.. IMO, pretty much exactly as expected. Some GMs are different and take a different tact, but Ballard was 101.

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Summing it up, in advance.

"We love Jacoby Brissett.  He's a great leader in the locker room, and a great human being.  He's our starting quarterback going forward."

And then there was this jewel.

"I think the jury's still out, that's why we did the short-term deal with Jacoby. Both from a standpoint of, one, to give us some security that we knew we had a player we liked and could go forward with but also, two, to see, time for us to figure out if he is the guy or not. Jacoby did a lot of good things. He also did some things I think he would tell you he needs to get better at but it's a constant evaluation."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard mentioning the chiefs were brilliant moving up to get Mahomes with a grin on his face. Hmm

Yep. I've mentioned it before, but Ballard will trade up for a QB. He has the draft capital to do it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard says he does not regret keeping Vinateri, even though he was awful. I don't understand Ballard. He seems to be fine losing games because of terrible kicking. 

What did you expect?    For him to publicly trash his own kicker?    Who only happens to be the best kicker of all-time!    What is the matter with you?!?    How sick can you be?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think the dont force a QB means that if you only have a first round grade on three guys you don’t force a pick at 13 if those three guys are gone.  Also if you think a guy is the 20th best you don’t trade a lot of capital to go up to number 4 to get him just because you need a QB and you are scared he will be gone by 13.  

Ballard is going to let the draft come to him that’s what most good GMs do.  Now if you have a first round guy that is still there at say number 10 and you like him enough to to think he’s a top 15 pick and you are scared he won’t be there at 13 then you would consider moving up to get him.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What did you expect?    For him to publicly trash his own kicker?    Who only happens to be the best kicker of all-time!    What is the matter with you?!?    How sick can you be?

Agreed. That would’ve been horrible leadership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard making excuses for Eberflus's lousy scheme. Says the defense is young. Ballard did say he needs to give defensive some help.

That scheme you don’t like?   Is also Ballard’s scheme!

Three posts.   Or is it four?   And they’re all terrible.   Standard Pacergeek! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

look at the poster again NCF honestly did you expect anything else from them?? lol it's just another days work for them 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Our free safety is the guy getting beat off the line of scrimmage as described?

not even a late pick, heck round 2.. top 15 though.. I don't deny that critique, but this notion that he's bad is just ... nope.

Free safety’s don’t get beat off the line if scrimmage.  Cornerbacks do.   Free safety’s are 12-15 yards from the line. 

As for Hooker, he isn’t bad.  He’s just not as good as we expected.  Not as good as we hoped for.   But he’s not bad.  Your “nope” is way off base. 

23 minutes ago, MTC said:

Yep. I've mentioned it before, but Ballard will trade up for a QB. He has the draft capital to do it. 

as long as it's for a player they really believe in. If not, they go another direction. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That scheme you don’t like?   Is also Ballard’s scheme!

Three posts.   Or is it four?   And they’re all terrible.   Standard Pacergeek! 

he's the same on the pacersdigest forum too. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Free safety’s don’t get beat off the line if scrimmage.  Cornerbacks do.   Free safety’s are 12-15 yards from the line. 

As for Hooker, he isn’t bad.  He’s just not as good as we expected.  Not as good as we hoped for.   But he’s not bad.  Your “nope” is way off base. 

As is this whole post where you missed the sarcasm about our free saftey being on the line of scrimmage and then agreed with my premise that he was picked too high but isn't bad. It's like you repeated what I posted and then said it was wrong. Weird.

We clearly don't communicate well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Ballard is stubborn I’m losing faith in him and this organization. Ballard won’t be around long if he don’t stop babying players especially his QB

Yes, poor you.  How terrible it must be to be you.   You suffered a losing season.   My, how you’ve suffered!

And speaking of babies?!?   Feel free to look in the mirror!

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

As is this whole post where you missed the sarcasm about our free saftey being on the line of scrimmage and then agreed with my premise that he was picked too high but isn't bad. It's like you repeated what I posted and then said it was wrong. Weird.

I'd add that Hooker could easily turn into a PBer if we got more pressure on the QB and our CB play improved a tad bit. We were bottom 10 on total QB pressure.....  DL is a huge part of Eberflus's system, and the zone simply will suck if the DL doesn't get pressure. And our DL sucks in that area. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MTC said:

Context is key in regards to this.  Ballard didn't mention the Chiefs and Mahomes, he was asked about the situation and how it relates to his current situation.  He said that he left before the Draft and wouldn't comment on Patrick and the Chiefs.  What he did say was that it was shrewd and great move from them.

Lets remember that Ballard did not run the draft for the Chiefs that year, John Dorsey did.

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think people are going to misconstrue what Ballard has said about Jacoby being the starter right now and that they will be looking at QBs in the draft.  Ballard was very specific, that they are always looking to upgrade any position, IF THE PLAYER IS THERE.  He was specific that they will not reach.

That comment is the exact opposite of specific...and intentionally so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd add that Hooker could easily turn into a PBer if we got more pressure on the QB and our CB play improved a tad bit. We were bottom 10 on total QB pressure.....  DL is a huge part of Eberflus's system, and the zone simply will suck if the DL doesn't get pressure. And our DL sucks in that area. 

exactly it's like our fans think you are supposed to be this elite S that leads the league in picks no matter what even with literally ZERO pressure or pass rush at all 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I agree 100% he is too good to not bring here especially with our need for exactly what he does.

I flusters the Chris Jones idea several days ago.  KC May have cap issues.  But here’s the deal...   Superman widely noted that if the Chiefs can’t sign him long term, they will certainly franchise him.   The chances CJ hits the open market are almost zero.

I wish it wasn’t so....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I just read an article saying the Colts are interested in Phillip Rivers( could be a stairstep with him starting and grooming a drafted QB or even a Chad Kelly

Cant say i would be upset, But it seems clear if JB doesnt improve Ballard could pull the pin on him

I could get behind that but he certainly seems to be declining.  Although a change of scenery and an improved OL might help him a bit.  

If we did that it would be awesome if we could grab Hunter Henry to come with him.  Give him some familiar hands to throw to.  But I doubt that. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I flusters the Chris Jones idea several days ago.  KC May have cap issues.  But here’s the deal...   Superman widely noted that if the Chiefs can’t sign him long term, they will certainly franchise him.   The chances CJ hits the open market are almost zero.

I wish it wasn’t so....

I agree the odds of him hitting FA imo are at about negative 15% lol 

that's the true nature of FA any true difference maker is either tagged or extended 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

the force it comment was pretty vague

did the chiefs force it when they took mahomes?  texans with watson?

most teams had them graded lower than they went, it only takes one for them to be a first rounder 

Huh?   What the......?

Who are “most teams”?   And how would you or anyone else know how high they had Mahomes or Watson ranked?   That stuff rarely leaks out and certainly not “most teams”.  

Roughly 50 percent of first round QBs flame out.  Don’t live up to expectations.   Many teams reach and pay the price for doing so. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   What the......?

Who are “most teams”?   And how would you or anyone else know how high they had Mahomes or Watson ranked?   That stuff rarely leaks out and certainly not “most teams”.  

Roughly 50 percent of first round QBs flame out.  Don’t live up to expectations.   Many teams reach and pay the price for doing so. 

In hindsight, I’d love to know how other teams graded those two. I also wonder what the odds or percentages are for scoring a starting caliber QB after the first round. It’d have to be significantly lower I presume?

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard said when the team was 5-2 he thought it could still fall apart because the point difference wasn’t much. That’s what a lot of people said on this forum.

Can we stop with the colts are interested. That is not what it said. It said that could be a option if the colts wanted to go they direction.

Not able to listen...but Ballard is a smart dude...of course he saw the regression coming from playing so many coin flip games. Yet we got ridiculed for pointing this out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

In hindsight, I’d love to know how other teams graded those two. I also wonder what the odds or percentages are for scoring a starting caliber QB after the first round. It’d have to be significantly lower I presume?

I was reading this the other day. a couple years old but the data is roughly the same.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/nfl-draft-round-round-qb-study-1994-2016

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I could get behind that but he certainly seems to be declining.  Although a change of scenery and an improved OL might help him a bit.  

If we did that it would be awesome if we could grab Hunter Henry to come with him.  Give him some familiar hands to throw to.  But I doubt that. 

Henry should be a priority if he becomes available...would give the Colts a top 2-3 TE room. 

I would take a Rivers year...just to see what happens...if it got me Henry. 

• Like 1

These endo of the year media events are usually a waste of time. No GM is going to tip their hand except what's obvious, like Ebron. Finch is NOT worth keeping, he "made" 10 million last year, we'd be better off going for a more established WR like Cooper from Dallas.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Yes...   he has the draft capital to do it... but he rarely wants to do it.    Especially featuring high draft picks.

He said so right after the ‘19 draft.  Said trading up in the first way too expensive, and that he loved having extra picks. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...   he has the draft capital to do it... but he rarely wants to do it.    Especially featuring high draft picks.

He said so right after the ‘19 draft.  Said trading up in the first way too expensive, and that he loved having extra picks. 

yep and yet people think he's gonna do it on a weak QB class, heck no.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Finch is NOT worth keeping, he "made" 10 million last year, we'd be better off going for a more established WR like Cooper from Dallas.

Of course Cooper would be the better choice.   But we'd have to pay top dollar.   I think first we see if Funchess would give us a bit of a discount based on the money he earned for nothing last year.  I don't know what kind of person he is though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was reading this the other day. a couple years old but the data is roughly the same.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/nfl-draft-round-round-qb-study-1994-2016

Thanks! It looks like landing a Russel Wilson or even a Kirk Cousins is exceedingly rare to do. There’s going to have to be a lot of luck going our way the next few years.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You think I agreed with you that Hooker was drafted too high?   In a word — no.   Hooker was drafted right where he was supposed to go.

As for sarcasm....   I totally missed it.   Didn’t even occur to me that's what you were doing.   

Yes....    we don’t communicate well.  I’m sorry for my part in that.  Certainly not deliberate.   Hopefully you and I will do better this year.