Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still A Chance Freeney Is Traded

BProland85

And that time would be right around draft time. Since hiring the CAA agency to represent him, this puts in motion the chance to extend his contract therefore lowering his cap hit making him much more appealing to other NFL teams.

He is still reported as to not wanting to switch to a 3-4, and therefore if we agree to trade him to a 4-3 team, he could be willing to extend and take an affordable deal for his future team in order for us to get compensation.

I would love to see us trade him to NE for their second 1st round pick, since Belichick loves Freeney and Brady would love having him on the same team rather than going against him. That would enable us to get a guy like SS Mark Barron, OLB Nick Perry, CB Dre Kirkpatrick, OG Cordy Glenn, or any other player who may fall.

if freeney extends his contract then theres no point in trading him. the issue here is his number against the cap.

Sure there is reason to trade him. A) We are rebuilding and already have our pass rusher OLB in Mathis. B) We need as many high draft picks as we can get. C) He keeps saying he wants to play in a 4-3, not a 3-4. No point in paying a guy good money to only come in on passing downs every so often at OLB.

Sure there is reason to trade him. A) We are rebuilding and already have our pass rusher OLB in Mathis. B) We need as many high draft picks as we can get. C) He keeps saying he wants to play in a 4-3, not a 3-4. No point in paying a guy good money to only come in on passing downs every so often at OLB.

depends on the draft pick.

Which league are we in that one pass rusher always gets the job done? UFL?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG

In the top 20, there are several teams with two or more guys getting the job done. Teams can account for one pass-rusher. They have a much harder time when there are two.

I have only read one report that Freeney doesn't want to be an OLB, so the fact that he "keeps" saying it is news to me.

As soon as Mario Williams lands somewhere the calls will be coming in for Freeney. So I'm just hoping Williams gets his deal done ASAP. I wouldn't mind gettting a 1st RD pick from the Pats, that would be HUGE for us

OK here it goes.

Cromartie from Chargers to Jets for 3rd round pick, Randy Moss from Pats to Vikes for 3rd round pick (all these guys were first round picks originally)

Kevin Kolb from Eagles to Cardinals for 2nd round pick, Charlie Whitehurst from Chargers to Seahawks for 2nd round pick

See the trend?

Unless it is a QB, do not expect a 2nd round pick or better. A 3rd round pick at best, if we pull off a trade is all we are likely to get.

not gonna get a great draft pick considering his age and his drop in production last year, have to admit it dropped off from freeny like numbers, besides he was noticeably limping quite a bit last year, My guess from just the eye test says he was injured, if I remember correctly it was left leg

And that time would be right around draft time. Since hiring the CAA agency to represent him, this puts in motion the chance to extend his contract therefore lowering his cap hit making him much more appealing to other NFL teams.

He is still reported as to not wanting to switch to a 3-4, and therefore if we agree to trade him to a 4-3 team, he could be willing to extend and take an affordable deal for his future team in order for us to get compensation.

I would love to see us trade him to NE for their second 1st round pick, since Belichick loves Freeney and Brady would love having him on the same team rather than going against him. That would enable us to get a guy like SS Mark Barron, OLB Nick Perry, CB Dre Kirkpatrick, OG Cordy Glenn, or any other player who may fall.

If we got that much from NE for Freeney.... at his age.... then Grigson will have hit a moonshot home run.

But I REALLY think the Pats will target WR Mike Wallace with one of those two 1st rounders. It makes too much sense considering they need a legit deep threat and almost no WR in the NFL is a better deep threat than Wallace.

I'd be happy with a 3rd round pick for Dwight and pleasantly surprised with a 2nd.

OK here it goes.

Cromartie from Chargers to Jets for 3rd round pick, Randy Moss from Pats to Vikes for 3rd round pick (all these guys were first round picks originally)

Kevin Kolb from Eagles to Cardinals for 2nd round pick, Charlie Whitehurst from Chargers to Seahawks for 2nd round pick

See the trend?

Unless it is a QB, do not expect a 2nd round pick or better. A 3rd round pick at best, if we pull off a trade is all we are likely to get.

I think the Richard Seymour deal is more relevant. But that was the Raiders, so you have downgrade it anyways.

The Colts will not extend him to trade him. That is not how that works. That create a larger cap hit if he is traded.

If he is to be traded, the trading team will a ) fit his 14 million base salary under their current cap and attempt to extend his contract or b ) the Colts give him/his agent permission to workout a deal with a new team to help facilitate the trade.

It makes little sense to keep him on the roster at a 19 million dollar cap hit when there are so many holes to fill.

I think the Richard Seymour deal is more relevant. But that was the Raiders, so you have downgrade it anyways.

Yep, it is but the production of Seymour prior to the trade is relevant too, and like you said, the Raiders. No one has been fleeced more than Al Davis, the Pats first, and then the Bengals recently both of whom have 2 first rounders, thanks to Al Davis' gift that kept on giving :).

True. And Seymour's age, and the fact he could play DE in a 3/4 And Seymour's size as well. He is MUCH larger than Dwight.

So we got size, age, and Raiders all equaling a first. Factoring all that, I would assume a 3rd would be our absolute best deal. Unless Wash. Wants to get involved, in which case we could steal a 2, 'cuz they soooo crazy....'

The Colts will not extend him to trade him. That is not how that works. That create a larger cap hit if he is traded.

If he is to be traded, the trading team will a ) fit his 14 million base salary under their current cap and attempt to extend his contract or b ) the Colts give him/his agent permission to workout a deal with a new team to help facilitate the trade.

It makes little sense to keep him on the roster at a 19 million dollar cap hit when there are so many holes to fill.

..why doesnt he want an extension and one or two more years..?

at his age.....I dont get it..

If Pagano has covinced Mathis there's a role for him..certainly he's told Dwight the same thing..

there's something we dont know here

..why doesnt he want an extension and one or two more years..?

at his age.....I dont get it..

If Pagano has covinced Mathis there's a role for him..certainly he's told Dwight the same thing..

there's something we dont know here

At this point we don't know if one has been offered to him. Certainly one would think that it has been discussed. An extension will come with at least the 14 million as a signing bonus.

Maybe he feels he doesn't fit the scheme and thinks the Colts won't retain him at the 19 million cap #(which is foolish with all the other needs). Time will tell what happens.

They're still in talks with Tennessee so I hear, but they're not going well. There's still a chance, but it's not likely. It looks like a release or an extension, I just don't see the Colts bringing in a 19M (14M against the cap) DE.

If he doesn't want to stand up, there is most certainly a reason to trade him.

has freeney ever said publicly he wont play standing up? the issue i see here is that freeney's contact doesnt help our cap so if he extends then that would give us cap room

Now that Mario Williams has signed with the Bills, this will give them a better chance to get more back for him in a trade. I still dont see why his contract should be a huge factor in this. As long as he has prior talks with the trading team on an extension, they wont have to worry about his 19 million cap hit.

I personally feel that we don't need to sink that much money into two pass rushers. I think Mathis will flourish in his new 3-4 role so we should trade Freeney and bring in a vet guard asap with the CAP space. IMO

Agree with you on that. Plus we have Jerry Hughes and Philip Wheeler who should be resigned who could get the job done on the other side of Mathis. Would LOVE it if we traded Freeney for a 2nd, then used the money saved to sign OG Evan Mathis!

We won't get a 2nd for him. Best option is to either straight up release him or re-work his current deal. He has signed with an agency so that may help facilitate a restructure. At worse we can absorb the cap hit and trade him by the trade deadline this upcoming year so we get a little in return.

True. And Seymour's age, and the fact he could play DE in a 3/4 And Seymour's size as well. He is MUCH larger than Dwight.

So we got size, age, and Raiders all equaling a first. Factoring all that, I would assume a 3rd would be our absolute best deal. Unless Wash. Wants to get involved, in which case we could steal a 2, 'cuz they soooo crazy....'

Do they even have a 2nd after the swap with the Rams?

We won't get a 2nd for him. Best option is to either straight up release him or re-work his current deal. He has signed with an agency so that may help facilitate a restructure. At worse we can absorb the cap hit and trade him by the trade deadline this upcoming year so we get a little in return.

How is the best option to release him? That's the worst option. Even if we only get a 5th for him, why wouldn't we do that? It doesn't change the remaining cap hit in 2012.

I agree that Freeney has no place on this team if we go to a 3-4.

Usually the 3 down lineman are 290 plus in a 3-4

Have you noticed how few tackles Freeney is getting ?

He is still an awesome pass rusher..... But lets be honest....... He couldnt find a RB

If it was tied to his arm.......

Mathis is great in both areas.... Thats why he works as the rush LB in a 3-4

The trade may come on draft day, if an early run occurs on defensive ends.

Usually the draft day trades work out best for the team giving up a player.........

We can always cut Dwight, and get the cap savings after the draft

Sort of high stakes poker.

I am not sure why everyone thinks that he should rush to restructure.

If he gets cut, he gets to negotiate with any team HE chooses...... And get another signing bonus.

Again.... We have to be honest...... We are rebuilding....... We have many holes.....

At best, we probably have 3 years till we have a chance at fielding a SB type team.

Freeney will probably be retired by then