Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Extension?

ty4atd

I wrote out an entire post yesterday about this, but never ended up posting it.

His contract ends at the end of the season, so both sides have to come to an agreement. We are desperate and can't afford to get into a bidding war next off-season. 

If I were Ballard, I would extend him NOW on a 3-year deal. Maybe something like 3 year, 40 Million with incentives up to 50 million. 

If he balls out, we get a steal of a deal. If he plays subpar, we still have a great backup at less than $15 million a year to help mentor a young guy. 

• Like 1

I don’t think either side has much interest in a deal right now.  It’ll be this offseason.

Brissett would bet on himself if the deal above was offered, and right now, there’s no reason for the Colts to offer anything of significance for a QB that is only described as top 20 based on their analysis.  Couldn’t even get into top half of starters per the Colts.

• Like 2

Playing arm chair GM I would NOT extend him now, there is no upside to that action, other than a warm fuzzy factor to his team mates by saying look how they took care of JB. And since I would anticipate no negative backlash if they dont sign him now, I say let the season play out and make your determination from there...

As far as what #'s this year would he need. I think it's relative to win's and losses and how they occur. If he proves to be a competent "game manager" type, does enough to win, doesnt give away games, that is obvious the low end of the offer scale, and anything in a shade better than that, all the way to pro bowl mvp super bowl winner is another....

I think the last reason/reasons (and I would hope the least likely to occur but still a statistical possibilty)  is what if he totally melts down on the field blows it, gets a catastrophic injury loses his mind in an off field incident or any of those "thank GOD we didnt extend him" reasons......

Let it ride and adjust at seasons end....

I agree we should let him play some games. I know everyone on this site is a huge football junkie and waiting for the season to begin is excruciating, especially this year with all the uncertainty. However, and this goes for the Kelly hype and Brissett, let's play some games and get some real life data to work with before we start making deals. If Jacoby starts the season well and by early November the teams winning, and he's a large part of it, I imagine someone's agent will get a call. And if everybody is in an agreeable mood, I'm guessing Jacoby will have a very Merry Christmas. 

• Like 1

If Brissett is what I think he is, a solid game manager who can execute the occasional "home run" pass, he's going to get a contract, either from us or someone else.

I don't think Brissett can carry an entire team, but he can probably carry his own weight on a balanced roster.  Considering there's always a handful of teams who don't even do that I would hope that Ballard will get something done.  Especially because we're 1 bad contract negotiation away from potential quarterback limbo right now.

Bottom line, we should sign the "bird in the hand" and ignore the birds in the bush unless something pretty remarkable falls into our laps

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I wrote out an entire post yesterday about this, but never ended up posting it.

His contract ends at the end of the season, so both sides have to come to an agreement. We are desperate and can't afford to get into a bidding war next off-season. 

If I were Ballard, I would extend him NOW on a 3-year deal. Maybe something like 3 year, 40 Million with incentives up to 50 million. 

If he balls out, we get a steal of a deal. If he plays subpar, we still have a great backup at less than $15 million a year to help mentor a young guy. 

Why would Brissett take this deal?  If he does play well, which I am 100% sure he is planning to, he is immediately underpaid by about $10 million per year.

• Like 1

let me be clear, this IS NOT an area where I fee we should be playing  the "see how smart I am" game.  If we misstep here we all better start praying that Chad Kelly is what his superfans here on the forum claim he is. This is not a good place and time to decide to be "clever."

I think we need to secure ourselves for the next 2-3 years, and THEN  worry about how much better we could be doing with the greener grass on the other side of the fence.  The alternatives are potentially pretty dire, wasting years of competitive rosters on emergency quarterbacks is not my cup of tea

Kelly is an intriguing project, but putting ourselves in the position where we bet the entire franchise on him panning out perfectly is NOT where I want to be.

• Like 2

One thing to bear in mind, is that Brissett is in his mid to late 20s now.  this is his time to look for a real chance to cash in.  This could easily be his only chance to earn his retirement money, and definitely the best chance he's ever had. He has an incentive to bargain pretty hard right now, and test the waters of FA if we dont pony up.

Bottom line, I think the package he winds up with will be more generous than we'd probably like.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, w87r said:

I would just raise his pay to $15m this year and see what happens. No extra years yet. Just straight pay raise.

If you were just going to give a guy a boost like this in pay because we are nice, you better attach a second to third year option friendly to the team so if you throw up on the field, the team can get out and you can take your kindness pay into backup status somewhere else. I couldn’t imagine any competent GM doing this. We aren’t Texans lol. 

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why in the world would the colts do that? No extra years and a significant raise. 

Exactly!!

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

If you were just going to give a guy a boost like this in pay because we are nice, you better attach a second to third year option friendly to the team so if you throw up on the field, the team can get out and you can take your kindness pay into backup status somewhere else. I couldn’t imagine any competent GM doing this. We aren’t Texans lol. 

Exactly!!

1. He needs to be paid more money for starting. Can't have your back up making more money.

2. No reason to lock up longer, as we don't know if he is the answer.

3. If he balls out and earns it. We can sign him long term then.

No reason to risk future money, but the need to increase his pay this year is needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Why would Brissett take this deal?  If he does play well, which I am 100% sure he is planning to, he is immediately underpaid by about $10 million per year.

Exactly.

Fans may believe that Brissett is not a legit starter in the NFL.

But I am certain that Jacoby believes that he is, and he wants to prove it this year.

He is expecting to secure the starter position and get paid for it. 

If he now took anything less than starter money, he would be betting against himself........I could be wrong, but I don't see him doing that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

1. He needs to be paid more money for starting. Can't have your back up making more money.

No reason to risk future money, but the need to increase his pay this year is needed.

They aren't going to give him more money without adding years.   

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Still don’t see it. Play at this money and play for your next contract, CB has shown he will pay for producing market rates. He could pay him 15 for this year but it would have to be tied into options for the team. I can see JB saying I’m betting on myself and I don’t care what the back up 10 year bet makes. More motivation 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

So, if  Luck had played, but got hurt for the season, we'd have to give JB a new contract, since was signed as a backup in his current one????

Going to assume you are talking to me.?

Totally different circumstances. 

Fact is, we have named JB the starter before the season started. Should be paid a lot better than he is currently. Even at $15m, that is well below starter money.

If Luck would of played and got hurt, it would not be necessary to give JB more money in that instance.

That's not the case.

Just now, w87r said:

Going to assume you are talking to me.?

Totally different circumstances. 

Fact is, we have named JB the starter before the season started. Should be paid a lot better than he is currently. Even at $15m, that is well below starter money.

If Luck would of played and got hurt, it would not be necessary to give JB more money in that instance.

That's not the case.

He might get more money,   but not without an extension.   

43 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They aren't going to give him more money without adding years.   

What reason is there to add more years? We don't know how he will perform.

They very well could give him a 1-2year extension? I think showing good faith and giving him some more money this year and see what happens is the way to go.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

What reason is there to add more years? We don't know how he will perform.

They very well could give him a 1-2year extension? I think showing good faith and giving him some more money this year and see what happens is the way to go.

No team has ever,  or would ever do what you're suggesting.   It's nonsense

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He might get more money,   but not without an extension.   

I answered you in post above, but I'm curious to hear what you think the numbers would look like on a 3 year extension?

I think 3yr $60m would be the floor? Are you willing to fork that over without knowing what he is capable of?

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

I answered you in post above, but I'm curious to hear what you think the numbers would look like on a 3 year extension?

I think 3yr $60m would be the floor? Are you willing to fork that over without knowing what he is capable of?

No.  That's why he will probably play the season out in his current contract.   

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Only nonsense, is you suggesting no team has EVER done this. Its been done more than you think. He'll here is 1 case from this year.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/texans-cb-johnathan-joseph-gets-a-pay-raise-11329921

Sounds like a Texans move. 

Not to mention that wasn't close to the 13 million dollar raise you're suggesting

16 minutes ago, w87r said:

I have not followed Jimmy G that close. But did he really prove himself before getting that huge contract. The coaches see JB in practice everyday. Reich knows what he is capable of and I trust him.