Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Colts Trade For Eli Manning?

Roger

1 hour ago, Dudley Smith said:

There is no one available that we could get short-term (that we know of) that would be worth trading for. Eli Manning makes no sense. He's barely an upgrade over Brissett if he is at all and is old and doesn't know the playbook (and yes I realize you aren't advocating for him). If Brissett and Kelly both crash and burn this season you just ride it out to the draft next year when you can either get a great draft pick or really explore trading for someone that maybe just needs a change of scenery and could at least be very good if not elite (maybe a Derek Carr?). Right now those don't seem to be on the radar so I think you stick with what you got and hope for the best.

Like you, here's to hoping Brissett (and/or Kelly) pans out and the issue is moot.

Thanks for spelling "moot" correctly!

Let’s put it this perspective. At this stage in Eli’s life what’s his best assets and worst asset?

can he:

1 throw deep

2 throw with accuracy 

3 recognize a blitz

4 still make all the nfl type throws

5 have a desire to play in a new city

quite honestly, I don’t know what Eli’s game was. We all know that Peyton wasn’t the huge athletic guy but was as football smart as anyone else alive. He didn’t have the biggest arm but he was precise and knew where everyone was supposed to be. Peyton commanded perfection from himself and from everyone else to a fault. What’s Eli’s game? 

2 hours ago, Dudley Smith said:

There is no one available that we could get short-term (that we know of) that would be worth trading for.

But that’s the rub, innit?  Why do you think that guys like Fitzpatrick, Flacco, Keenum, Cousins, Bradford etal always seem to end up finding gigs?  And what makes you think we have a better magic wand than the teams that have signed them?

You make it sound so easy to draft a franchise quarterback....as if we should just decide to do it next year if Jacoby doesn’t make the grade.

This is what I mean when I say that Colts fans have been spoiled having Manning, and (to a lesser extent) Luck, and even Harbaugh all these years.  Do you realize how hard it is to find the franchise QB and how long some teams have been looking for theirs in vain?

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer.  But we may now be walking into a storm that many teams have been stuck in for quite some time and we haven’t been in for decades.

• Like 1

Another article. This from www.nj.com

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/08/andrew-luck-retires-heres-why-giants-should-trade-eli-manning-to-colts.html

...Meanwhile, the Colts’ roster is built to compete for a Super Bowl immediately with head coach Frank Reich at the helm of a roster that includes playmaking wide receivers T.Y. Hilton, Devin Funchess, second-year running back Nyheim Hynes and one of the NFL's best offensive lines.

Indianapolis could turn to Jacoby Brissett to replace Luck, but Manning’s playoff experience and the structure of the Colts’ offense could be ideal for Manning to make one last run at a third Vince Lombardi Trophy, while playing for a franchise that helped his brother, Peyton, forge a Hall of Fame legacy.

Manning has the postseason experience that Brissett lacks...

...A third-round pick?

A second-rounder?

Whatever the return, general manager Dave Gettleman should at least make a phone call to see if he can help put Manning in a position to compete while simultaneously handing the reins of the franchise over to Jones.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

We're looking at this in the perspective of performance. We also have to look at this in terms of ticket sales. It's a fact people were selling away their tickets due to Luck retiring, now how do you get those same Colts fans back in their seats? How about drafting a 2-time Superbowl Manning brother with a penchant for beating the Patriots?

I'd only give up a 3rd rounder though.

Not worth that Eli is finished.

You sir are absolutely correct, my thoughts exactly.

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

We're looking at this in the perspective of performance. We also have to look at this in terms of ticket sales. It's a fact people were selling away their tickets due to Luck retiring, now how do you get those same Colts fans back in their seats? How about drafting a 2-time Superbowl Manning brother with a penchant for beating the Patriots?

I'd only give up a 3rd rounder though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Let’s put it this perspective. At this stage in Eli’s life what’s his best assets and worst asset?

can he:

1 throw deep

2 throw with accuracy 

3 recognize a blitz

4 still make all the nfl type throws

5 have a desire to play in a new city

quite honestly, I don’t know what Eli’s game was. We all know that Peyton wasn’t the huge athletic guy but was as football smart as anyone else alive. He didn’t have the biggest arm but he was precise and knew where everyone was supposed to be. Peyton commanded perfection from himself and from everyone else to a fault. What’s Eli’s game? 

Can anyone who watches Eli answer any of these questions? I’m just wondering at this stage in Eli’s career, what is his game?

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Can anyone who watches Eli answer any of these questions? I’m just wondering at this stage in Eli’s career, what is his game?

He really has no game.  He can't scramble.   He washed up.   He was benched for Geno Smith.  It would be a huge mistake to trade for him.  

Just now, Myles said:

He really has no game.  He can't scramble.   He washed up.   He was benched for Geno Smith.  It would be a huge mistake to trade for him.  

I’m not advocating for Eli at all but knowing that Eli had a horrible line in front of him, would Eli or Luck have succeeded with that line? So just simply saying that Eli is old and dead isn’t a good discussion. I understand that NY is preparing to move on from Eli with Jones but I’m just wondering what assets Eli would carry with him if he were behind a more stable line. 

Again, not advocating for Eli as I honestly think at this stage of the season, JB and Kelly will provide just as much as a new acclimating QB trying to take the reigns, regardless of how great he had been, I just don’t think a qb can come in and take over an offense effectively out of the gate. 

29 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’m not advocating for Eli at all but knowing that Eli had a horrible line in front of him, would Eli or Luck have succeeded with that line? So just simply saying that Eli is old and dead isn’t a good discussion. I understand that NY is preparing to move on from Eli with Jones but I’m just wondering what assets Eli would carry with him if he were behind a more stable line. 

It's not like he hasn't had an decent O-line his whole career.   However his QB rating has been pretty bad his whole career.   Last season may have been his best season.   I suspect Barkley had allot to do with that.

image.png.297abc3943d0c1f72ac4a22840c1dfdd.png

28 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I doubt Ballard would ever sign a big name veteran QB like Eli. He's rather chasing players who fit in the system and builds a team through the draft. 

Though  we need a serviceable backup for Jacoby.  

I don’t think CB would take a QB that’s a few years away from retirement in order to win a SB with that guy leading the helm and for 20 million or more but I do think he would absolutely take a guy to help mentor the young guy, whoever it ends up being. Eli can certainly be that type of guy. He could help JB or Kelly with his years of experience for sure. How much would CB put on that type of experience and back up to the young QB’s? 5 million, maybe 10 million for a year? The other piece of it, would Eli be down for the mentoring role that Hassleback did for Luck early on? I have doubts. I would absolutely love to see Peyton come into the team as the QB mentoring guy. Get him to spend time improving JB and Kelly’s processing and mechanics. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t think CB would take a QB that’s a few years away from retirement in order to win a SB with that guy leading the helm and for 20 million or more but I do think he would absolutely take a guy to help mentor the young guy, whoever it ends up being. Eli can certainly be that type of guy. He could help JB or Kelly with his years of experience for sure. How much would CB put on that type of experience and back up to the young QB’s? 5 million, maybe 10 million for a year? The other piece of it, would Eli be down for the mentoring role that Hassleback did for Luck early on? I have doubts. I would absolutely love to see Peyton come into the team as the QB mentoring guy. Get him to spend time improving JB and Kelly’s processing and mechanics. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Giants has a rookie QB, who needs a mentor, sooo if Eli is suitable to mentor a young QB, he worth being kept for Giants. I just don't see him signing with Colts. On the other hand I don't think Colts will chase Eli. Balllard got in a tough situation prior to start of the season in 2nd year in a row. He managed it last year, he will handle it this year. We will see what options are left for him. I fear he has lousy cards. 

Peyton as 'QB whisperer' was an awesome option, but it mostly depends on Peyton. Mathis had a positive effect on our LBs. 

1 minute ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Giants has a rookie QB, who needs a mentor, sooo if Eli is suitable to mentor a young QB, he worth being kept for Giants. I just don't see him signing with Colts. On the other hand I don't think Colts will chase Eli. Balllard got in a tough situation prior to start of the season in 2nd year in a row. He managed it last year, he will handle it this year. We will see what options are left for him. I fear he has lousy cards. 

Peyton as 'QB whisperer' was an awesome option, but it mostly depends on Peyton. Mathis had a positive effect on our LBs. 

Yep fully agree. The only question is, does Eli want to play mentor to his replacement? Do the giants want to pay Eli as much as he is making to mentor Jones, maybe they find his salary acceptable to give Jones that NFL insight, we don’t know. And then there is the part of, if Eli is upset that he is being replaced and doesn’t want to mentor that guy, still wants an opportunity to start somewhere, would he leave and come here or somewhere else with the understanding that he may not win a starters role and if not, he understands he is the mentor now? Who knows. I’d hope that Eli just stays in NY and finishes his career there but big name athletes have big egos that need fed long past their prime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

he was a lot like Peyton.  may have had a slightly better arm, but not as good at changing plays and putting his team mates in the best spots 

have not watched him lately expect for the colts giants game last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Yep fully agree. The only question is, does Eli want to play mentor to his replacement? Do the giants want to pay Eli as much as he is making to mentor Jones, maybe they find his salary acceptable to give Jones that NFL insight, we don’t know. And then there is the part of, if Eli is upset that he is being replaced and doesn’t want to mentor that guy, still wants an opportunity to start somewhere, would he leave and come here or somewhere else with the understanding that he may not win a starters role and if not, he understands he is the mentor now? Who knows. I’d hope that Eli just stays in NY and finishes his career there but big name athletes have big egos that need fed long past their prime. 

I agree with what you said, I just don't thing Colts was an amusing destination for Eli:

1) We aren't competing for SB yet (however I think this team is pretty good, and with a franchise QB could be competent)

2) His role was mentoring/backuping here too

3) He likely would earn less with Colts. (the most inappropriate/irrelevant point I made here)

So I am still not sure Ballard could attract a decent veteran to Indy, either Eli or somebody else. 

• Like 1