Colts Trade Draft Pick For Eagles T

Case

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention that if we're going rob teams of playes, we could certainly do worse that robbing the Eagles and Ravens.

NO KIDDING! On top of that, as a fan I'd be livid if the front office wasn't using connections in an effort to better the team.

Eagles = 2011 4th Best overall OFF & 5th best rushing OFF

Ravens= 2011 3rd Best Overall DEF & 2nd best Rushing DEF & 4th Best Pass DEF

I'm willing to give Grigson & Pagano the benefit of the doubt here...

i dont get it man, we had a very high 6th round pick.... that could have used for backup qb, special teams and a host of other things. now we get a 4MIL cap hit???? ON AN OT? are you kidding. We can't afford that right now????!!!!!! UGH.

You'd rather have a backup QB than an a Tackle who has already played decently in the NFL?!

i dont get it man, we had a very high 6th round pick.... that could have used for backup qb, special teams and a host of other things. now we get a 4MIL cap hit???? ON AN OT? are you kidding. We can't afford that right now????!!!!!! UGH.

Why would you draft a starter and back up QB in the same draft????

Secondly, we just end up moving down what, 10 spots in that round. Seriously not that big of a deal. And if we can get Justice to play to the level he has flashed at times, this will be a steal.

Why would you draft a starter and back up QB in the same draft????

Secondly, we just end up moving down what, 10 spots in that round. Seriously not that big of a deal. And if we can get Justice to play to the level he has flashed at times, this will be a steal.

You don't but pepole keep tossing that our there.

For a rookie qb you want a vet who can teach and who doesn't need a lot of reps to be ready to play so the rookie can get them to learn. Also it's hard enough to bring one rookie qb along in this league let alone two. Also the last you want is if your rookie struggles is to have the crowd start calling for the other rookie they haven't seen but have heard of in college. That's a qb controversy waiting to happen.

You don't but pepole keep tossing that our there.

For a rookie qb you want a vet who can teach and who doesn't need a lot of reps to be ready to play so the rookie can get them to learn. Also it's hard enough to bring one rookie qb along in this league let alone two. Also the last you want is if your rookie struggles is to have the crowd start calling for the other rookie they haven't seen but have heard of in college. That's a qb controversy waiting to happen.

Matt Hasselbeck may wind up being available. Would love to have him as our veteran backup.

As for Justice, I know this guy. Cool dude, but he did get worked over by the Giants. He's not terrible, because if he was he'd be out of the league. And obviously Grigson knows all about him, being from Philly. Don't like his cap number, but Grigson's willingness to take on an additional $3.2 million in salary indicates that something is going to happen with Freeney for sure.

I'd like to see us do something like this for an established safety. But we sorely needed players at offensive line, and Winston is an established lineman who can contribute right away. He's certainly better than Ryan Diem and Jeff Linkenbach, and I think he has the size to play guard if necessary.

Really? You think sixteen spots in the sixth round is really going to get you so much more value that it does not make sense to get a starting NFL right tackle (when we really needed one). I would be more worried about the cap hit this guy brings when we do not have much space as opposed to the value we are losing in the sixth round. But so far I really like Grigson's moves, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Really? You think sixteen spots in the sixth round is really going to get you so much more value that it does not make sense to get a starting NFL right tackle (when we really needed one). I would be more worried about the cap hit this guy brings when we do not have much space as opposed to the value we are losing in the sixth round. But so far I really like Grigson's moves, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Notable 6th rounders (and beyond): Charlie Johnson, Antoine Bethea, Pierre Garcon, Pat McAfee (7th), Rico Mathews (7th), Kavell Conner (7th). Good news is that all of those players came late in the 6th, or in the 7th. So the point stands, it's really not a big deal to move down sixteen spots in the 6th round, because the value comes when you hit. And that's all about talent evaluation, not draft position.

Like others, I have no idea what you are getting at.

We move down a few spots and picked up a guy who might be able to contribute. The cap hit sucks, but we aren't the ones paying it and I am sure they have done their home work. If the guy is better than what we have, great. If not, he gets cut or asked to take a lower salary. In any case, we have 1 more body to help protect our #1 overall pick. Not a bad move, even if the guy is marginal.

Gave up very, very little to get... well if it turns out to be little, oh well. Low risk, so any reward is really gravy.

Might as well roll the dice with someone the leadership is familiar with.

Besides, just about any move is an upgrade over RT play last year..

So I looked over on the Eagles forum to see what they thought... they say he had great potential and played very well at RT for a while until he got a new contract and then he busted. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

If they are quality players what does it matter where they come from, these are both quality pick ups even if they were from the arena league. Who cares!

I am just waiting to see something out of our new GM and Coach. I havent yet. Its easy to pick up players you have seen play for a team you were associated with. I want to see some kind of eye for player development, not just adding veteren players that they have seen have some abililty. That doesnt always transfer to new teams when they get there.

Not_Sure_If_Serious.jpg

I am just waiting to see something out of our new GM and Coach. I havent yet. Its easy to pick up players you have seen play for a team you were associated with. I want to see some kind of eye for player development, not just adding veteren players that they have seen have some abililty. That doesnt always transfer to new teams when they get there.

I think that will be shown in the draft, rounds 3 thru 7,that is when that will show. I am sure in the short term any new GM is going to lean on guys they trust and know,no harm in that short term. imo

I think that will be shown in the draft, rounds 3 thru 7,that is when that will show. I am sure in the short term any new GM is going to lean on guys they trust and know,no harm in that short term. imo

I hope your right. IMO, a competent and confident GM doesnt nned to lean on anyone but his own football knowledge and gut feelings. But, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

That would probably mean ijalana busted out or moved to guard. I see this as a depth move since ijalana is coming off that major injury. Get a guy grigson knows for a late pick who does have starting expierece.

We really don't know what we have with Ijalana yet. He hasn't proven that he could play with the big boys. I hope he will turn out to be a solid RT but playing at a small college, he never really went against top talent like he'll see in the NFL.

At least Justice has experience and by definition he has to be an upgrade over Link. (Of course, we haven't had much luck with players named Justice, have we?)

I think when its all said and done were gonna be eating that 19 million from freeny, I hope Im wrong but my thinking is someone would have wanted him by now, but justice provides size and physicality not sure about his footwork, havent studied him, but trading 6th round picks is low risk, we still need to address defensive tackle and corner which I hope I believe we will in the draft early now, we need a backup middle linebacker I think since the release of Bracket, and safety not sure how many running backs we got but Im not sold on Donald Brown as a starter

I'm a bit confused by this move, and have trouble viewing it as a positive. I've accepted the "we are rebuilding" theme, and assumed that tackle was a position in which we had two excellent prospects, both of whom need to play in order to develop. This guy is being paid way too much to be a backup, so what does this move actually mean?

Is Ijalana injured, or considered insufficient for the position? That would be bitterly disappointing. Are Ijalana or Winston changing positions? We've had enough of those "experiments" in recent years. In other words, if we are rebuilding and we need a guard, sign one or draft one. To be told that we are crippled by the salary cap, then to see them spend millions on one of the FEW positions that I thought DIDN'T need to be addressed is unsettling.

Of course I was already confused by the signing of three 30+ year old players, which also seems to contradict both the rebuilding theme and the financial complaints. I'm scratching my head about what it is that they want this team to be.

I think when its all said and done were gonna be eating that 19 million from freeny, I hope Im wrong but my thinking is someone would have wanted him by now,

Unfortunately you may be right. Although, if we can't trade him, I think we cut him and free up ~$14M in cap space before we pay him.
Im not sold on Donald Brown as a starter

Me either. I expect a solid, non-blockbuster, FA signing.

I'm a bit confused by this move, and have trouble viewing it as a positive. I've accepted the "we are rebuilding" theme, and assumed that tackle was a position in which we had two excellent prospects, both of whom need to play in order to develop. This guy is being paid way too much to be a backup, so what does this move actually mean?

Is Ijalana injured, or considered insufficient for the position? That would be bitterly disappointing. Are Ijalana or Winston changing positions? We've had enough of those "experiments" in recent years. In other words, if we are rebuilding and we need a guard, sign one or draft one. To be told that we are crippled by the salary cap, then to see them spend millions on one of the FEW positions that I thought DIDN'T need to be addressed is unsettling.

It's very simple.

1) Signing someone would likely commit us to cap penalties past this year. Trading for him doesn't. We don't have a future commitment.

2) Signing someone would likely cost more since we'd have to pay out a signing bonus that the Eagles have to pay.

3) We can cut him anytime before the season starts.

4) We need some players on the OL with experience.

5) We need some players on the OL in general.

6) We effectively give up nothing.

7) It means nothing other than we have another body to compete for a roster spot.

either way, this will take more then a year to get right, as long as I see a more physical style of play and not all these undersized players and different defensive schemes Ill be confident were heading in the right direction, we need a DT or two big ones in size to clog lanes, a corner, which both of those I expect we will get in the draft. although the redding signing indicates maybe freeny is on his way out one way or other, hes been good for us for years, and redding I believe is around his age maybe a little older but does bring leadership

It's very simple.

1) Signing someone would likely commit us to cap penalties past this year. Trading for him doesn't. We don't have a future commitment.

2) Signing someone would likely cost more since we'd have to pay out a signing bonus that the Eagles have to pay.

3) We can cut him anytime before the season starts.

4) We need some players on the OL with experience.

5) We need some players on the OL in general.

6) We effectively give up nothing.

7) It means nothing other than we have another body to compete for a roster spot.

The man was injured and then lost his job, ironically because the fourth round pick they moved over from guard to replace him outperformed him. Ironically the presence of Howard Mudd was a factor. The man is being paid like a starter, and the Eagles weren't about to pay him that much to not play. And this for a team whose oline was a problem all year.

So the question remains, what do the Colts want him for, and why would they want the contract? If Winston had been drafted by the Colts we would be screaming about him being a draft bust. Why the enthusiasm for getting him, and what does it say about Ijalana? They fact that they can dump him without paying him can't be viewed as the justification for signing him. That's simply a matter of minimizing the loss if he doesn't pan out. And anyone who says "Grigson knows what he can do because he helped draft him" should remember all the arguments about Polian seemingly hanging onto his "busts" too long. I never really saw it that way, but it is a little hard to be confident in this case. Either the guy is a starting caliber tackle worthy of a second round pick and a $3.2 million dollar salary - in which case he wouldn't have lost his job in the first place - or he isn't - in which case we are either overpaying him to be a backup or Grigson thinks he knows something that the Eagles don't. I sure hope that he's right.